ADVERTISEMENT

Wrestling 2023 NCAA Tournament Live Thread: Session II

RBY, I think, still avoids anything upper body at all. With opponents that try and go there, he becomes very cautious.
There are times though when it looks like he could score at will and he just doesn't. He is out there and can feel the opponent though, so one can only be happy with a W.
As quick as he is, his wrestling IQ isn't far behind. He's a very smart and disciplined wrestler.

I wonder how noto will do against Spencer? He's an interesting wrestler. Hope he brings his A game would be nice to see someone put up a fight
Noto will wrestle tough, but it isn't going to matter. I don't know if a 145 pound Glory can grind with Spencer or not, but everybody else needs a haymaker. I don't think Noto has a haymaker.

Sounds like you're the idiot. Your feelings are obviously hurt. That poster is not my friend. Seems like you like to run your mouth until it's pointed back at you.
Another phucking idiot. It would be nice if you had to have a posting history to post the week of nationals.

Reactions: 86PSUPaul
There is a lot of wrestling to go, and it's way too early to call anything a lock.

If I have this right, we will be wrestling up to 9 matches this morning, and Iowa will have up to 15. If they have a good session, the score will still be tight after session 3.

From the mat assignments shown on Trackwrestling, it will be outside 4 mats (1,2,7,8) for consis/WBs and inside 4 mats (3,4,5,6) for quarterfinals.
So, since yesterday saw Penn State have to wait until 165 to see their first competitor on a mat. Do we have to wait until 157 or will it be 174 today?

I hope most get the joke.

Phenomenal insight by a young high schooler. Anyone who talks about shaming a wrestler off the team is obviously not a Penn Stater nor knows anything about Cael and being grateful and having FUN.
Phenomenal insight by a young high schooler. Anyone who talks about shaming or bullying a wrestler off the team is obviously not a decent human being....should not ever be a parent, coach or anyone that deals with young men and woman. Sad excuse for an "Adult". ....nor knows anything about Cael and being grateful and having FUN out there!
I'm pretty sure this is what you meant to write :)

Reactions: nitlion6
There is a lot of wrestling to go, and it's way too early to call anything a lock.

If I have this right, we will be wrestling up to 9 matches this morning, and Iowa will have up to 15. If they have a good session, the score will still be tight after session 3.
Each quarter final win is worth 7 team points. A good round by PSU can open up some distance in the team race

From the mat assignments shown on Trackwrestling, it will be outside 4 mats (1,2,7,8) for consis/WBs and inside 4 mats (3,4,5,6) for quarterfinals.
Yes, and for those streaming on ESPN+, here are the mat assignments based on seeded brackets:

1st--Mat 5 RBY, Starocci
2nd--Mat 4 Haines
3rd--Mat 6 Bartlett, Brooks, Kerkvliet
4th--Mat 3 Van Ness

Reactions: hlstone
Phenomenal insight by a young high schooler. Anyone who talks about shaming or bullying a wrestler off the team is obviously not a decent human being....should not ever be a parent, coach or anyone that deals with young men and woman. Sad excuse for an "Adult". ....nor knows anything about Cael and being grateful and having FUN out there!
I'm pretty sure this is what you meant to write :)
touche' - point taken.

Gooooooood Morningggggg Wrestling Fans!!!

Other than the finals session, this is the most exciting day in college wrestling. Quarters AND Semis, all in one day. Can anyone else feel the electricity?

Couple things so far:

1. Dean losing stings, a lot more for him than for us. Hopefully he is dead set on taking third but I have seen seniors time and time again pack it in. I don't think it is in his character to do that, nor any of the PSU guys, but that will be answered today. In either event, I tip my hat to him and wish him well in whatever he chooses to do after wrestling. Congrats on a great career, and I look forward to reading this final paragraph that he will start writing in about an hour.

2. Am I the only one that thought SVN had a chance of being teched? The way he got tilted with ease twice was nerve wrecking, but he just never stops coming. The kid has put a great run together so far, and hopefully the train doesn't have a scheduled stop for a few more miles.

3. RBY and Nagao rematch will be quite interesting. Call me crazy, but I think we see a major here. I know come tournament time, RBY's main goal is to win and move on. But after a full period ride last meeting, there may be a chip on his shoulder.

4. The quarter final I'm most looking forward to, and worried about; 157. Do I think Levi is a better wretler all around? Yes. Am I fully aware of how dangerous Andonian actually is? Also yes. We were able to see a sneak peak of how this match has the potential to go with Levi's match against Siebrecht. If he stays out of the upper body, and minimizes scrambles, I think he wins comfortably, by 3 or so. However, one scramble/throw, and it could be a quick ending.

5. Aaron Rogers heard we were talking about Facundo and wants me to relay this: "RELAX". The kid is in his first NCAA Tournament, in the single toughest weight class this year, maybe in the last 5 years. A lof of room to grow, which you either have to do, or watch from the sidelines. The best 10 guys will always man the spots ( barring redshirts ). He has 3 more years and I have full confidence in him moving forward if he's in the lineup, and if he's not, I have full confidence in whoever is. Remember, we have no shortage of talent in the coming years from 165 and up.

6. Last but not least, whether you hate him, love him, or anything in between. Watch every match Spencer wrestles today and tomorrow, and don't blink. He is arguably the most dominate wrestler ever, and this is the last time we will get to watch such a hammer for some time.

Lets have some fun!!

I will say that Paniro Johnson looks like he transferred from tOSU weight program. He is jacked, but his attacks were very fast too. He was 165 last year and dropped to 149? He will be a force for the next few years. Great effort by both guys here. Very very entertaining. This is what the sport needs. More of this, less of Nelson Brands.

So I was buying TShirts half way thru the session at the BOK center and about 8 guys wearing Iowa gear were saying something to the the vender inside the center selling t shirts. They were arguing with a bunch of people at once including fans and staff. I’m not sure what was said to get this mob so irate but a kid like 20 years old selling T shirts said so how did your boy Spencer do? and then someone in the Iowa group punched the kid in the face. The group took off and within minutes cops and security were there. Because of this group. Within minutes, all food and drink concessions were stopped. I realize 99% of hawk eye fans are just passionate good people. But this group pissed off about the Spencer Lee outcome we’re just idiots.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pitchfork Rebel
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT