ADVERTISEMENT

Wrestling 2023 NCAA Tournament Live Thread: Session V - Consi Semis/Finals/Placement Matches

Oh god totally forgot about ridge. That's an amazing weight. Potentially Chittum for the hawks too as a wildcard.
Do you expect Chittum to make 149? I know he was wrestling at a higher weight in freestyle but not sure if he was cutting any weight. Would be big for you guys if he can make 149

Not an Air Force vehicle. US Army.

From the same manufacturer: he'd fit into the V-22. It's primarily USMC, with USAF owning the special operations variant. Hendrickson isn't that much bigger than some of the Marine pilots.
And if RBY decides to sign up, maybe the Darkstar would be about the right speed for him.

Not only that, damn after suffering defeat the Lions show up to compete in the wrestlebacks.
Good illustration of the philosophical differences between Cael and TNT. Cael views wrestling as one small element in the grand scheme of life. His focus is on effort and improvement and if his guys win, that’s a bonus.

TNT view wrestling as the essence of life. Their focus in on winning at all costs. And if their guys lose they are failures. No wonder Iowa wrestlers learn to hate the sport. Anything short of perfection is disastrous.

Look at the difference in how Max and Spencer responded to their losses. Max personifies a warrior who is grateful for the opportunity to compete. I greatly admire him for that.

Spencer is a broken man. If he were a leader he would have put his teammates first and been there for them today. He’s right about one thing. Excuses are for wusses, and he has no excuse for abandoning his team.

Good illustration of the philosophical differences between Cael and TNT. Cael views wrestling as one small element in the grand scheme of life. His focus is on effort and improvement and if his guys win, that’s a bonus.

TNT view wrestling as the essence of life. Their focus in on winning at all costs. And if their guys lose they are failures. No wonder Iowa wrestlers learn to hate the sport. Anything short of perfection is disastrous.

Look at the difference in how Max and Spencer responded to their losses. Max personifies a warrior who is grateful for the opportunity to compete. I greatly admire him for that.

Spencer is a broken man. If he were a leader he would have put his teammates first and been there for them today. He’s right about one thing. Excuses are for wusses, and he has no excuse for abandoning his team.
Well said

Reactions: NittanyChris
I think Lee is showing a little bit of emotional immaturity today. If he were to get some good advice, (as he would get at NLWC) he would be guided to understand that his loss today is showing him a weak area that he needs to work on. At one point, although somewhat begrudgingly, Gable acknowledged that his experience at his loss to Owings showed him that he still had a weakness which was his mental state. He resolved afterwards to not let events outside of his control affect his own performance. Lee needs to learn to just accept what happened and move forward. If he keeps stewing about losing yesterday, he will have a lot of trouble improving himself later.

Reactions: dsites52
So is 7 guys in the top 3 good? What a performance so far!! Up to this point this is the best top to bottom performance I have ever seen from PSU. What Cael and company continue to do to have these guys peak at the national tournament is truly special. I’ve never seen a team that year after year has their best performances when it counts the most like Caels teams have. It’s extraordinary. One of the best parts is how this team is still fairly young and with the recruits coming in this train shouldn’t be slowing down at all. What a time to be a fan of PSU wrestling!!

Could we add Aaron? Hagerstown is close enough to PA that Aaron could toss a Brands brother into PA. If that's not close enough, Hagerstown is closer to PA than Hidlay is to being in the center of the mat.
When I was at PSU Mont Alto in '82-'83 we'd drive 15 minutes to Hagerstown to drink. MD had grandfathered in 18 year olds by '82 or something like that. I was a 17 yo freshman but no one carded back then. Lowenbrau at Pizza Hut was big back. Another place we went had backgammon tables.

I used to love crawling around the C5A they used to open up to the public at the Montoursville Airshow as a kid.

(Maybe @Hotshoe remembers too--and I wanted to mention that I have such fond memories of eating Eder's Teaberry ice cream w/ my grandparents--will definitely be making a trip there next time I'm in town in summer).

How much bigger is the M?
Absolutely I remember. Inside, they had all the stats of what would fit Inside the plane. I specifically remember how many ping ping balls was listed. Lol

I think Lee is showing a little bit of emotional immaturity today. If he were to get some good advice, (as he would get at NLWC) he would be guided to understand that his loss today is showing him a weak area that he needs to work on. At one point, although somewhat begrudgingly, Gable acknowledged that his experience at his loss to Owings showed him that he still had a weakness which was his mental state. He resolved afterwards to not let events outside of his control affect his own performance. Lee needs to learn to just accept what happened and move forward. If he keeps stewing about losing yesterday, he will have a lot of trouble improving himself later.
Yeah, I hope we haven't seen the best of Spencer because he lost the match between his ears.

Reactions: AgSurfer
Totally agree. Those are amazing results and Fix is in rare company on this elite stage.

My point was about projections versus outcomes. I am certain he fully expected to be a multi-time nat'l champ, as did many others who have followed his career.

I saw an interview Fix gave at the start of the season where he said he's been preparing for a year to beat RBY in the nat'l finals this season. For an elite athlete with Fix's resume, going 2-2-2-4 is undoubtedly a letdown.
Even numbers not good.

In fairness, I do think Tom Brands once quoted Dan Gable as saying something to the effect (after a loss) to go out and get the best that you can. In other words, if 3rd place is the best you can get, you try to get it.

So, either Spencer is really hurt, or he is too devastated to compete. If it’s the latter, that will haunt him forever.

Reactions: bwfight
So there is nothing to the Lee family trashing PSU to recruits etc. Based on his mom's reaction it seems they are a bit over invested.
Is that true? I have heard about the “binder” but do not think that I have heard any specific’s associated with it or his parents.

I was looking at the past team scores for PSU at the NCAA's, with Cael coaching.
Highest Point Totals
1. 146.5..............2017
2. 143.................2012
3. 141.5..............2018
4. 140.5.............2014
5. 137.5..............2019
6. 131.5..............2022
7. 123.5..............2013
8. 123.................2016
9. 113.5...............2021 *2nd
10. 107.5..............2011

This year we are currently at 127.5, which would rank 7th. So with 4 points for each wrestler getting 1st place, we could possibly break our record with 147.5 points. Tall task I know, but possible.

In fairness, I do think Tom Brands once quoted Dan Gable as saying something to the effect (after a loss) to go out and get the best that you can. In other words, if 3rd place is the best you can get, you try to get it.

So, either Spencer is really hurt, or he is too devastated to compete. If it’s the latter, that will haunt him forever.
Holy hyperbole. Haunt him forever? C'mon, man. Even if it's the latter and Lee grows to regret his decision, he won't be "haunted forever". Good grief.

Reactions: PSUbluTX
Holy hyperbole. Haunt him forever? C'mon, man. Even if it's the latter and Lee grows to regret his decision, he won't be "haunted forever". Good grief.
I tend to agree with you, but there are exceptions to that. Did you ever see the color documentary on Flo? Or more appropro, Terry?

I hate like hell to say anything positive about Hawkeye wrestling or TnT, but Warner showed up big time in the wrestlebacks and was all smiles and thankful after his matches this morning. Murin wrestled his heart out and finally got that elusive AA, Cassioppi showed up this morning after getting snot slobbered last night, Nelson Brands had a backside I never would have thought possible.
I sat 2 rows behind the Iowa bench when Dan Gable was coaching the Hawks in Rec Hall. The kid wrestling Prescott and towards the end of a significant beating dropped his head onto the mat. Gable exploded out of his seat, stomped his foot onto the floor and screamed get your head up and wrestle! Hawkeyes never quit!
I have no idea if Spencer suffered an unseen injury, but as pointed out by others if he had won I highly doubt he mff the championship match. It appears to me only one Hawkeye did not honor the sport, did not honor his leadership responsibilities, did not honor his teammates and by golly, literally spit on the Gable legacy. That behavior was kind of singular, not representative of what i saw from the group. That's a Spencer thing.

Last edited:
See Nerfstate’s post. When I was referencing Tom Brands, it was from that documentary. No hyperbole to my post. I really believe it.

Reactions: PSUbluTX

So, either Spencer is really hurt, or he is too devastated to compete. If it’s the latter, that will haunt him forever
I saw that and I think Terry even said it was the Iowa way. MFFs happen all the time, so I don't want to throw any shade. But I do think, if he could have wrestled, they missed a great teaching and recruiting opportunity by him not doing so. Of course, we may also learn that he was wrestling through something he really shouldn't have been and shutting it down was the only thing to do.

Last edited:
Reactions: Diego Badman
I was looking at the past team scores for PSU at the NCAA's, with Cael coaching.
Highest Point Totals
1. 146.5..............2017
2. 143.................2012
3. 141.5..............2018
4. 140.5.............2014
5. 137.5..............2019
6. 131.5..............2022
7. 123.5..............2013
8. 123.................2016
9. 113.5...............2021 *2nd
10. 107.5..............2011

This year we are currently at 127.5, which would rank 7th. So with 4 points for each wrestler getting 1st place, we could possibly break our record with 147.5 points. Tall task I know, but possible.
Some good context would be to note the score of the 2nd place team (or the 1st place team in 2021).

I'm thinking mostly of 2018, where PSU needed almost every one of those 141.5 points to fend off a really stacked tOSU team that had Kyle Snyder, Nathan Tomasello, Myles Martin, Joey McKenna, Bo Jordan, Kollin Moore, Micah Jordan, and Luke Pletcher. That year Brutus had 133.5 points, which I believe is the highest point total ever for a team that did not win the tournament. Of course, that was when Bo Nickal clinched the team title with the uber-ballsy elevator and chin grab pin of tOSU's Myles Martin. Can still hear Tim Johnson's call on that one.

Finals Predictions:
125: Glory
133:RBY
141:Alirez
149:Yianni
157:Haines
165:Carr
174:CSTAR
184:Brooks
197:NINO
285: Parris

Reactions: Ski
I saw that and I think Terry even said it was the Iowa way. MFFs happen all the time, so I don't want to throw too much shade. But I do think, if he could have wrestled, they missed a great teaching and recruiting moment by him not doing so.
I was thinking that he wrestled so few matches this year -- because he's not fully recovered (I mean, ok, duh, right?). Maybe the grind of B1Gs, with not enough recovery time, and then 4 matches in two days was more than he was really ready for. Too bad for him because he was/is a really good wrestler.

I was thinking that he wrestled so few matches this year -- because he's not fully recovered (I mean, ok, duh, right?). Maybe the grind of B1Gs, with not enough recovery time, and then 4 matches in two days was more than he was really ready for. Too bad for him because he was/is a really good wrestler.
Yes - I was still editing that post. I wont be surprised if we learn a few days from now that he was trying to wrestle through a serious injury and they had to finally shut it down.

Reactions: Idahopennstatefan
7 top 3 wrestlers. Cornell, with 3, is the only other team with more than 2.

Amazing runs by Beau and Shayne.

Beau, Shayne, Aaron, Max and Greg all exceeded their seed. Waiting to see if Levi and can do the same. Impossible for Roman or Carter to do so.

Last edited:
Go back and watch the video of Lee’s match with Ramos. He’s pushing off the inside of his feet. If he was dealing with more ACL issues, that would hurt so bad that he would be avoiding it. If he was injured, I doubt it was an ACL problem.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT