ADVERTISEMENT

Wrestling 2023 NCAA Tournament Live Thread: Session V - Consi Semis/Finals/Placement Matches

1st (PSU) and 2nd (Iowa) are set.

Still a battle for 3rd. Ohio St leads Cornell by 2 points. They’re head to head at 149 (Yianni vs Sasso) and Cornell has Arujau at 133. A Yianni victory at 149 will give Cornell the final podium spot.

Last edited:
Don't worry, by mid April the HR brain trust will have it figured out how Iowa is good for 10 AAs and 150 plus points. It is more a true sign of spring than robins or cherry blossoms.
$100 says that we see a car with Iowa license plates driving around in PA all spring and summer.

1st (PSU) and 2nd (Iowa) are set.

Still a battle for 3rd. Ohio St leads Cornell by 2 points. They’re head to head at 149 (Yianni vs Sasso) and Cornell has Arujau at 133. A Yianni victory at 149 will give Cornell the final podium spot.
Top 4 get a take home prize

Reactions: hlstone and mcpat
This is just insane - PSU has a 45 point lead before the Championship Round - 5 finalists, two 3rd Place and a 7th Place for a total of 8 All-Americans. 6 of the 8 AAs return next year. Just insane.
I know Max Dean and RBY will not be here next year. I thought Brooks was gone too. Since you say 6 or 8 AAs return, is Aaron Brooks back next year?

Reactions: bourbon n blues
Judging by the graphic ESPN just used, they may be starting at 165 tonight. That would make Levi the main event!
Hope not. Yianni is going for 4. Same criteria as they would have used for Lee, but for a guy with less losses 2 which happens to also to be the same number of times Lee was pinned.

They should be starting at 157 and hitting home the chase for 4.

No titles, but going 2-2-2-4 is pretty solid.
Totally agree. Those are amazing results and Fix is in rare company on this elite stage.

My point was about projections versus outcomes. I am certain he fully expected to be a multi-time nat'l champ, as did many others who have followed his career.

I saw an interview Fix gave at the start of the season where he said he's been preparing for a year to beat RBY in the nat'l finals this season. For an elite athlete with Fix's resume, going 2-2-2-4 is undoubtedly a letdown.

Reactions: danoftw and tikk10
Is it just me or did it seem like we had a lot fewer injuries and MFFs this tourney than in the past? Not that there's usually a lot and certainly not as many as you see in the conference tourneys.

But I'm unaware of any major injuries or gifted forfeit points that had an impact. Pretty remarkable given the grind of a tough season.

So grateful that all our PSU boys made it to/through the tourney healthy and not banged up in any significant way!

SHAYNE VAN NICE AND BEAU-TIFUL BARTLETT

nice-very-nice.gif

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT