ADVERTISEMENT

2024 NCAA's - Day 1 - Match/discussion thread

Is that the first takedown Starocci's given up this year?
I think so. I wondered if he was a bit cautious when Sparks went for the leg pass on his bad leg. Not a position Carter usually gets scored on

Starocci vs Sparks R32

Wearing brace with sleeve.

Sparks TD 3-0. Temporarily a cradle. Quick escape, TD, 4 back points for Carter. Almost a fall. 8-3 after one.

Neutral start. TD Starocci makes it 11-3. Riding time over a minute. Cuts him after Sparks gets to his feet. 11-4 after two. 1:51 RT.

Sparks starts on bottom. Carter riding. Riding point clinched. Sparks gets to feet and escapes. 11-5 with 1:15 to go. Carter looking defensive. Stalling. That’s a point. With riding point it ends 12-6.

174: #9 C.Starocci vs. #24 A.Sparks (MN)
P1:
Starocci wearing a brace with a sleeve over it. It's not quite as big as the brace Nolf wore.
Starocci driving forward. Looks normal.
Starocci shoots in on a leg & working for the TD.
Sparks gets the bad leg & gets behind for the TD 3-0
Starocci escape 3-1
Starocci in on another shot, working for the TD & gets it on the edge 4-3
Starocci has sparks on his back getting NF
Starocci gets 4 NF 8-3
Starocci rides him out RT 1:18

P2:
Starocci takes neutral
Sparks shoots, Starocci counters & gets the TD 11-3
Sparks to his feet & Starocci lets him go 11-4 (RT 1:51)
Period ends

P3:
Sparks takes down
Starocci riding tough, goes over 2-min RT
Sparks to his feet & peels out fo the escape 11-5
Sparks looks a little more active. Tie-ups, but no more action
Starocci 2nd stall 11-6

#1 C.Starocci DEC #24 A.Sparks 12-6

Impressive defense from MM and he turns it into his own td! Tech fall for Mesenbrink

I think we can all agree that not wrestling at the Big Tens was the right choice. Carter looked rusty, gave up a TD for the first time this season and wasn't able to finish off with a TD to get the major.

I don't get why Kasak spent the first 30 seconds of the last period riding him. He didn't leave any margin for error when you factor in the ref wouldn't blow the whistle for a stalemate and how much Abas was going to stall at the end.
Yeah. That didn’t make a lot of sense to me as well

Reactions: GogglesPaizano
Carter played it safe there, but he was moving pretty well. Hoping he can dial it up against Lewis because he won’t be able to coast for half the match

Reactions: Hotshoe
I think we can all agree that not wrestling at the Big Tens was the right choice. Carter looked rusty, gave up a TD for the first time this season and wasn't able to finish off with a TD to get the major.
He seems healthy so wouldn’t it have been good to knock off the rust at Big’s instead of here?

Reactions: donboy6499
otoh:
the way CS stayed inbounds was really cool. He kept one part of his body in bounds while both of the rest of the two bodies were out.

And the kid was decked. What's it take to call a fall?

At the end of the bout, CS could have gotten a td easily. The other kid was kinda shooting wildly and was in position to give up the td, but Starocci didn't accept the offer. Would have been a major. Another reduction in points.
Easy. One's first born child. To my knowledge, Carter has definitely let that lapse. Lol

174: CStar wins 12-6 over Sparks Minny

Thought he looked and moved well. Scored a bunch of points off a reversal and back points in the first and kind of coasted from there. Smart move IMO. Gets to see how the knee will feel in a live match and theres no need to risk anything at this point and up that big.

165: MM techs Mayfield of NW

I was watching Carter and switched about halfway through the 2nd. Went about as everyone would expect. High pace and takedowns. Didn't see who he has between Brady and Cassella

I think so. I wondered if he was a bit cautious when Sparks went for the leg pass on his bad leg. Not a position Carter usually gets scored on
That's why I thought he should have wrestled B1Gs for at least one bout. Get mentally used to the idea of guys going for his bad leg.

165: #2 M.Mesenbrink vs. #31 M.Mayfield (NW)
P1:
Mesenbrink in on a leg & gets the TD 3-0
Mesenbrink riding tough, out of bounds. Restart
Mesenbrink starts neutral 3-1
Mesenbrink in on a leg & comes behind for the TD, wait, called off for some reason. Ref talking to Mesenbrink about something, now action stopped for some reason & refs talking. Mesenbrink did something bad, maybe? Lol
Back to action. Neutral
Mesenbrink in on the leg again & gets the TD this time 6-1
Mesenbrink riding tough, out of bounds, restart.
Mesenbrink caution
Mayfield to his feet for the escape 6-2
Mesenbrink moving forward, gets to the leg again for the TD 9-2
Mesenbrink riding tough again. Out of bounds, restart.
Mesenbrink with a hard ride & rides out the period +1:54 RT

P2:
Mesenbrink down
Mesenbrink quick escape 10-2
Mesenbrink moving forward, Mayfield on the edge of the mat.
stalling on Mayfield 11-2 (lost track & missed the warning or the point was for something else)
Stalling Mayfield 12-2
Mesenbrink in on another TD 15-2
Mesenbrink rides out the period (RT 2:14)

P3:
Mayfield takes neutral
Mesenbrink pushing forward shots, but Mayfield gets the leg on a counter. Mesenbrink keeps scrambling & works for the TD. 18-2

#2 M.Mesenbrink TF #31 M.Mayfield 18-2 (5:33)

Last edited:
I don’t think Carter looks healthy at all, I’m guessing surgery is in his future.

Reactions: ikS
Reminder Carter wins controlled decision matches healthy. Look at his past NCAA results lol. He had conditioning issues as is this year and likely missed significant time to gain it back. It's a 3 day tournament, don't empty the tank day 1.

He moved well but knew when he had to bail. Mekhi will be a doozy of a quarter obviously and I expect he's planning for that.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT