ADVERTISEMENT

2024 NCAA's - Match/discussion threads (merged)

Once with one hand
Once with one leg
Excuses are for Spencer Lee
Ain’t that the truth! The dictionary needs a picture of Carter as the definition of WARRIOR! I can just imagine the “lore” that will grow around the story of Carter. Winning it all with a broken hand one year and a torn knee ligament in 24’. Every wrestler who come to the Nationals with an injured knee will be compared to Carter. Ten years from now, he will be considered one of the top 2 or 3 four-timers, because of his tenacity.

He won 7 in a row at nationals, 5 by bonus, including dubs over the 1, 3 and 5 seeds. Up a weight class. As a true freshman. Forced into the lineup after the starter got hurt.

I’m not counting him out of anything.
When he lost in first round I said to my crew, he's gonna make the Nick Lee freshman run..... I was close.

Still feels amazing today
What this team is doing is historic in the sport of wrestling and becoming so in sports in general. Witnessing something very special.

Did it appear to you that Levi had issues with 3 day weigh ins? He looked better then ever IYAM. That bracket he WRECKED was LOADED.

Leave 'em right where they are.
The offseason hasn't arrived until the board ponders changing guys' weights for no reason other than boredom. Perhaps it's more fun to potentially downgrade multiple weights for the sake of change.

Someday this might be necessary. But until that day comes, no. And it didn't appear imminent this year.

We actually had 10 scoring wrestlers. Davis and Nagao contributed 3.5 points so without them the record would not have been broken.

EDIT: I forgot about Nagao's tech so the combination contributed 5 points.
Excellent point! It was definitely a team effort.

You can't make me believe that Mesenbrink doesn't have a reasonably high wrestling IQ and the commensurate "mat sense", but you've got a true freshman who's wrestling a former national champion on the biggest stage he's ever imagined. I think he was just excited and lost sense of what the reality was because of adrenaline, the crowd, the noise, the excitement, etc.. It happens. Someone else mentioned that briefly the matside score did say Mesenbrink 8 Carr 7 and that may have been the last time he looked and that he thought he actually WAS leading by 1 at the end of regulation. Whatever.

I actually feel worse for Beau Bartlett today because Beau's a senior (with a year of eligibility remaining) and because he wrestled a FABULOUS tactical match and wrestled better than Mendez (whereas I'm not sure that I'd claim the same for Mesenbrink). Doesn't matter now, the match is over and Mitchell (the Missile) lost, but we get to watch him 3 more times and I'd actually be a little bit surprised if he doesn't become a 3-time champion.
Both will be so much better next year because they came so close… like Levi and Kerk this year!

You might be right but I think it was pretty bad taste for him to say that on a public broadcast. Besides, if that is going to be his strategy, I don’t think it was wise to let Carter and the PSU coaches know abou
Carter's fans??? Really? Big fan of Carter and I find nothing wrong with what Borroughs said. Carter has less mobility on that leg, so of course you're going to attack that leg. How precisely do you get a TD without attacking one of the legs? Just because you're attacking a leg to try to get a TD and score, does not mean you're trying to re-injure the leg. To suggest that an opponent should consider an injured leg "off limits" for attacking is so absurd, it isn't even funny - that would be giving you're opponent a massive advantage.

The people making negative comments about what Borroughs said are probably general PSU fans who know little about wrestling.

Would that include Bo Nickal?

Article on Carter and Brooks.

I’ve read your additional edits and I think you’re right. We’re reading something into Burroughs statement that he really didn’t say. However, I think we both agree that he should have exercised some discretion about the topic. There are probably a lot of Carter fans who don’t post here that are reading a malicious intent into what Burroughs said.

Language is a complicated thing. Consider the statement "Charlie stole a car"". On paper, it's a simple assertion of fact.

However, once can state it with a rising intonation and make it a rejoinder of complete incredulity. By stressing "Charlie", it's a statement of doubt about the actor. By stressing "stole", it is a statement of doubt about the action. By stressing "car" it's a statement of doubt about the object of the action.

And then there's who saying something, how they are appear and the context and at the time.

Burroughs "comes off" as saying exactly what's on his mind and if that was confined to his knowledge and experience about wrestling, it would be a huge benefit to viewers. But that's not.

As sort of clumsy and undisciplined as Cormier is, Burroughs is worse. He got worse after Lovett lost, continuing the Nebraska NC drought. Carter and Aaron accomplished something he couldn't (4X).

Example.

Cormier makes a statement about barbeque; Burroughs says "never", Cormier says "really?" and Burroughs snaps back at Cormier about his "Dad bod". Why the personal attack?

Because he was aggressive and unfiltered; his statement come off as aggressive to the point of bellicose.

And now, just for Wild Turk; a moment of public contrition.

Lord forgive me; I was impatient with the lack technical knowledge of the student announcers (Adriana and "Going for the Gusto"); I realize now that at least they were trying and they weren't nasty and self indulgent.

Still the best revenge is living well. I hope Carter gets to wrestle him on two good wheels and pins his ass.

Article on Carter and Brooks.

“It really starts with the coaches,” Starocci said. “This morning I was a little heavy and a little more than I wanted to be. And Coach Cael was right there riding the bike with me. Just looking around, all the other guys warming up, their coaches are on their phones. I’m like, this dude is in the foxhole with us. I think that means more than anything.”

He made several comments the first IMO was tongue in cheek And sort of funny. The 2nd comment he said he would go for his leg if they wrestled at the trials.( to be honest everyone would they just wouldn’t say it.
i wasn’t outraged at all by it.
Exactly. You could hear JB chuckle immediately after saying it and then he said “On a serious note, Carter Starocci has had a phenomenal career. He belongs on the Mt Rushmore for the Nittany Lions.” Nickal and others are making a mountain out of a molehill.

Exactly. You could hear JB chuckle immediately after saying it and then he said “On a serious note, Carter Starocci has had a phenomenal career. He belongs on the Mt Rushmore for the Nittany Lions.” Nickal and others are making a mountain out of a molehill.
I rewatched it earlier and thought the same.

Thank you to the greatest fans in the world! The support for our son has been amazing! We truly appreciate PSU nation! How cool
Was that to witness the GREATEST WRESTLING TEAM IN NCAA HISTORY!! So awesome. Thank you!!

John, thank you for introducing 6-year old future PSU GOAT Aaron to those Cael videos all those years ago!

Reactions: danoftw
Thank you to the greatest fans in the world! The support for our son has been amazing! We truly appreciate PSU nation! How cool
Was that to witness the GREATEST WRESTLING TEAM IN NCAA HISTORY!! So awesome. Thank you!!
We are and Christ reigns. I am very impressed with you and your wife. You raised a true warrior with the spirit of David. God bless

“It really starts with the coaches,” Starocci said. “This morning I was a little heavy and a little more than I wanted to be. And Coach Cael was right there riding the bike with me. Just looking around, all the other guys warming up, their coaches are on their phones. I’m like, this dude is in the foxhole with us. I think that means more than anything.”
I really can't see how Carter will be able to cut down to 74 kg (162.8 lb.) and still be at the top of his game. I imagine Carter routinely walks around in the 185 range. That is going to be a brutal cut.

I really can't see how Carter will be able to cut down to 74 kg (162.8 lb.) and still be at the top of his game. I imagine Carter routinely walks around in the 185 range. That is going to be a brutal cut.
But he doesn't have to cut to that every weekend. Just a few times.

Only 2, same guy -- 141 McNeil forfeited out after losing to Beau in the semis.

Separately: Andonian got pinned in his last 3 matches (Levi, Shapiro, Kellar). Ouch.
Not forfeits but didn’t Lovett do the semi slide as well?

That is rough about Andonian! I didn’t realize that so thanks for pointing it out. Tough way to finish the tournament

Carter's fans??? Really? Big fan of Carter and I find nothing wrong with what Borroughs said. Carter has less mobility on that leg, so of course you're going to attack that leg. How precisely do you get a TD without attacking one of the legs? Just because you're attacking a leg to try to get a TD and score, does not mean you're trying to re-injure the leg. To suggest that an opponent should consider an injured leg "off limits" for attacking is so absurd, it isn't even funny - that would be giving you're opponent a massive advantage.

The people making negative comments about what Borroughs said are probably general PSU fans who know little about wrestling.
Well Bo Nickal knows a little something about wrestling and he made it clear he didn’t appreciate Burroughs’ comments.

Reactions: Pitchfork Rebel
Not forfeits but didn’t Lovett do the semi slide as well?

That is rough about Andonian! I didn’t realize that so thanks for pointing it out. Tough way to finish the tournament

Yes, Lovett did. Parco took 5th, so one of them was doing the semi slide.

Others:
- Wolak
- Salazar
- 197 Elam -- lost to fellow semifinalist Sloan for 5th
- Schultz

Echemendia might have -- he was the 5th place beneficiary of McNeil MFF out.

Reactions: zzs006
Only 2, same guy -- 141 McNeil forfeited out after losing to Beau in the semis.

Separately: Andonian got pinned in his last 3 matches (Levi, Shapiro, Kellar). Ouch.
I did see that about Andonian. Still not bad for a 12 seed. And he had a knee (I think) injury that kept him out a while. He gave Levi a pretty good match.

Mr Brooks: It was a privilege for us to be lucky enough to watch your son wrestle at Penn State. He is a first class man in every way, and an excellent representative of our University.

Reactions: Pitchfork Rebel
SIAP. John Smith interview after nationals. I'm a little surprised at how much he talked about the fans "turning against us" during the Fix/Vito match. Implies that the crowd forced the ref to make a bull s#!+ stall call.

Reactions: danoftw
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT