ADVERTISEMENT

Bama-Wisconsin...and other games

Yep, agree. there are 4 teams right now that sort of stand above the others - Texas, Georgia, OSU and maybe Alabama but I think Texas should probably be at the top. Manning looked outstanding yesterday, and I just wonder how much Texas oil money he's getting to play behind Ewers
How does Georgia stand above the others after that stinker yesterday? If we had that kind of game against a team like Kentucky, I’d be reading on here how we won’t win 7 games all year. Tennessee and Ole Miss both look better than Georgia right now.

How does Georgia stand above the others after that stinker yesterday? If we had that kind of game against a team like Kentucky, I’d be reading on here how we won’t win 7 games all year. Tennessee and Ole Miss both look better than Georgia right now.

We did.
Bowling Green.

Because they're Georgia and Smart has consistently proven he wins when it matters
Also, even after BGSU I still say we win 11--I'm sure some Georgia fans are overreacting like our fans

WVa gave their game away by running the ball between the tackles and trying to sit on the lead. One lousy 1st down on their last possession and they would have won. Instead they punt leaving Pitt 2:05, 2 TOs, and the 2:00 TO.

KY did the same thing at the end of the half vs GA. They had GA on their heels but refused to throw the ball much less throw it into the end zone. Instead the bled they clock and settled for a FG to take a 6-3 lead at halftime. You simply can't do that when you're a big underdog and expect to hang on.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jerry
Because they're Georgia and Smart has consistently proven he wins when it matters
Also, even after BGSU I still say we win 11--I'm sure some Georgia fans are overreacting like our fans
There are plenty of questions about this PSU team. LB, no second WR, Tom Allen's defense, etc. Not only did we struggle against BG but Pitt's win yesterday doesn't make out win over Wva particularly impressive.

One more thing. USC is looking better than we expected. I saw somebody post the odds of making the playoff and PSU was 53%. That's far from a sure thing. 10-2 will probably get us in but losses to OSU & USC could make us the 4th team in the BiG and with no signature wins.

This is reality, not overreaction. PSU could finish 11-1 but that's far from a sure thing. This team has to improve quite a bit before it gets into the meat of it's schedule.

Klatt agrees with you as he has Texas-OSU at #1 and #2 and dropped Georgia to #5. But Georgia always seems to have one of these stinkers every year. They're LOADED with 4 and 5 star talent

Reactions: bdgan
There are plenty of questions about this PSU team. LB, no second WR, Tom Allen's defense, etc. Not only did we struggle against BG but Pitt's win yesterday doesn't make out win over Wva particularly impressive.

One more thing. USC is looking better than we expected. I saw somebody post the odds of making the playoff and PSU was 53%. That's far from a sure thing. 10-2 will probably get us in but losses to OSU & USC could make us the 4th team in the BiG and with no signature wins.

This is reality, not overreaction. PSU could finish 11-1 but that's far from a sure thing. This team has to improve quite a bit before it gets into the meat of it's schedule.
To clarify, he said people were worried about winning 7 games--that's an overreaction
What is the "meat of this schedule"? Wisconsin lost their QB and just lost by 32 at home to Bama. Are we worried about Illinois and Minnesota? They're on par with WVU. As is Washington.
WVU isn't good (I've said that all along) but we schemed for them perfectly.
I'm not worried about Allen's D--they adjusted at the half and let's not pretend they were showing much in a game they expected to be easy.

If you watched the 4 weeks of football we've seen so far, you would know it's practically impossible to rank the top 10 accurately. Some teams have been road plows with no resistance. Some have struggled with lesser opponents. It will sort itself out, but good luck figuring it out today.

If you watched the 4 weeks of football we've seen so far, you would know it's practically impossible to rank the top 10 accurately. Some teams have been road plows with no resistance. Some have struggled with lesser opponents. It will sort itself out, but good luck figuring it out today.
100%
I think there are tiers right now

1st--Georgia, Ohio State and Texas--Ohio State has proven the least but they're all likely locks to for the playoff
2nd--Bama, Tennessee, Ole Miss, Penn State and Oregon--really good teams that could be great
3rd--Mizzou, Miami, USC and K-State--potential playoff teams
4th--Utah, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, LSU, Michigan, Louisville, Clemson and Notre Dame--flawed teams that are probably good but not great
5th--Memphis, Louisville, Nebraska, Illinois and Syracuse--probably not good but we'll find out
6th--teams that aren't good enough to matter lol

Reactions: lazydave841
Klatt agrees with you as he has Texas-OSU at #1 and #2 and dropped Georgia to #5. But Georgia always seems to have one of these stinkers every year. They're LOADED with 4 and 5 star talent
But their offense looks pedestrian at best.

The 4-2-5 is a glorified prevent style of defense. I like it in certain situations but better teams with good O-Lines and a short passing game will kill you in the D.

To clarify, he said people were worried about winning 7 games--that's an overreaction
What is the "meat of this schedule"? Wisconsin lost their QB and just lost by 32 at home to Bama. Are we worried about Illinois and Minnesota? They're on par with WVU. As is Washington.
WVU isn't good (I've said that all along) but we schemed for them perfectly.
I'm not worried about Allen's D--they adjusted at the half and let's not pretend they were showing much in a game they expected to be easy.
PSU will win 7 games with ease. They'll be 3-0 out of conference before heading into their BiG schedule.

Power rankings of opponents:
  • Illinois (9th)
  • UCLA (17th)
  • @ USC (2nd)
  • @ Wisconsin (11th)
  • OSU (1st)
  • Washington (10th)
  • @ Purdue (18th)
  • @ Minnesota (14th)
  • Maryland (15th)
Assume PSU loses @ USC and vs OSU. Where are the other 3 losses? Illinois, Washington, & Wisconsin? Franklin should be fired immediately if that happens.

11-1 gets us in, no question. 10-2 is likely but far from certain.

That USC game is shaping up to be critical. I wish I could have any glimmer of hope about the possibility of beating Ohio State, but the record of recent years has conditioned me in the direction of low expectations for such games.

The truth is, other than next week, there are no sure things on this schedule. Sure, on paper 10 wins looks quite likely, but you saw what almost happened to Georgia yesterday. Recall also that even Bowling Green was no walk in the park.

Reactions: Obliviax and bdgan
100%
I think there are tiers right now

1st--Georgia, Ohio State and Texas--Ohio State has proven the least but they're all likely locks to for the playoff
2nd--Bama, Tennessee, Ole Miss, Penn State and Oregon--really good teams that could be great
3rd--Mizzou, Miami, USC and K-State--potential playoff teams
4th--Utah, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, LSU, Michigan, Louisville, Clemson and Notre Dame--flawed teams that are probably good but not great
5th--Memphis, Louisville, Nebraska, Illinois and Syracuse--probably not good but we'll find out
6th--teams that aren't good enough to matter lol
ND still has a better chance to make the playoffs than PSU. I like PSU's chances but USC is ND's only top opponent. Possibly Louisville.

PSU's nightmare would have OSU, USC, and Oregon as the top 3 finishers in the BiG. Let's cheer for Michigan to beat USC next Saturday.

I think Nebraska is an up and coming team but they're not good enough yet.

That USC game is shaping up to be critical. I wish I could have any glimmer of hope about the possibility of beating Ohio State, but the record of recent years has conditioned me in the direction of low expectations for such games.

The truth is, other than next week, there are no sure things on this schedule. Sure, on paper 10 wins looks quite likely, but you saw what almost happened to Georgia yesterday. Recall also that even Bowling Green was no walk in the park.
UCLA & Purdue are pretty sure things but I get your point.

ND still has a better chance to make the playoffs than PSU. I like PSU's chances but USC is ND's only top opponent. Possibly Louisville.

PSU's nightmare would have OSU, USC, and Oregon as the top 3 finishers in the BiG. Let's cheer for Michigan to beat USC next Saturday.

I think Nebraska is an up and coming team but they're not good enough yet.
We disagree--ND's schedule will kill them (FPI has our odds 10% higher than ND)
USC losing to Michigan isn't great for us if we lose to them

Last edited:
The lowest Georgia would drop would be to #2, and it looks like even that didn't happen. AP still has them #1.

Oops. Check that. I just saw a report that AP has Georgia dropping to #2 with Texas now holding the #1 position.

PSU will win 7 games with ease. They'll be 3-0 out of conference before heading into their BiG schedule.

Power rankings of opponents:
  • Illinois (9th)
  • UCLA (17th)
  • @ USC (2nd)
  • @ Wisconsin (11th)
  • OSU (1st)
  • Washington (10th)
  • @ Purdue (18th)
  • @ Minnesota (14th)
  • Maryland (15th)
Assume PSU loses @ USC and vs OSU. Where are the other 3 losses? Illinois, Washington, & Wisconsin? Franklin should be fired immediately if that happens.

Wisconsin looked really bad against a quality opponent. Washington got beat by Washington State last week, pretty soundly too. Illinois is now ranked in the top 25 but play Nebraska so we'll see who is good and who is a pretender. Great that ILL has a tough game before us the week after.

But you are correct...and I've been saying this since the schedule came out...the key to the season is USC as every other team we play we'll be a fairly big favorite other than tOSU.

Yes we should be 10-2 at a minimum. However, as you point out a sluggish half or certainly a game where we seemingly don't have our head in it can result in a L versus many teams on our schedule. We have to go to Minny in November so that is one game to watch out for. Wisky and Washington are two others. Illinois, another. Again, these all should be wins but the product put out there vs BGSU leaves me lacking some confidence.

If we do end up 10-2 no guarantees we are in the playoff. ND will get every break humanly possible so we have them lurking. Then half the SEC is in the top 15 so there is that. Yes they will beat each other but just the sheer number of quality teams is something to watch.

Reactions: Jerry
Yes we should be 10-2 at a minimum. However, as you point out a sluggish half or certainly a game where we seemingly don't have our head in it can result in a L versus many teams on our schedule. We have to go to Minny in November so that is one game to watch out for. Wisky and Washington are two others. Illinois, another. Again, these all should be wins but the product put out there vs BGSU leaves me lacking some confidence.

If we do end up 10-2 no guarantees we are in the playoff. ND will get every break humanly possible so we have them lurking. Then half the SEC is in the top 15 so there is that. Yes they will beat each other but just the sheer number of quality teams is something to watch.
college ball is unpredictable. Kentucky curb stomps SC and then barely loses to GA.

We played well against WVU and then phoned in BG. We won't get a bead on this team vs Kent unless it ends up being a close game. ILLL is the next game were we'll know what kind of team we have.

college ball is unpredictable. Kentucky curb stomps SC and then barely loses to GA.

We played well against WVU and then phoned in BG. We won't get a bead on this team vs Kent unless it ends up being a close game. ILLL is the next game were we'll know what kind of team we have.
You reversed the first. South Carolina destroyed Kentucky
And maybe BGSU is on par or better than WVU. We'll find out a lot about WVU playing Kansas. Which team still believes their preseason hype. Kansas misses AK a ton.

A lot lol
But supposedly Peyton told him to stay to learn under Sarkisian. I feel like the Mannings know Arch is a top 3 pick whenever he enters the draft just based on pedigree so unlike most he's not desperate to play immediately. Plus, he has money which makes life easier. I'm guessing he stays at Texas through the 2026 season and starts for 2 years
Peyton Manning doesn’t have say-so over Arch Manning’s career, Dummy.

another play we need in our playbook

Love it. Entire D predictably pinches in. TE releases wide open.

Agreed, love to see this in our playbook.

Meanwhile, same situation, Wisconsin hands off six yards in the backfield and the play is immediately blown up as every Tide defender keys on the single back.

OK, things always look clearer in hindsight, but still.

Reactions: Obliviax
Peyton Manning doesn’t have say-so over Arch Manning’s career, Dummy.

Good call. If my uncle was one of the best and most knowledgeable QBs in history, and still had many positive relationships with current coaches, players and executives, I wouldn’t seek his counsel over my QB career, either. As usual, Bushwood nails it.

Peyton is his family and went to every recruiting visit with him.
You can tell you’re a dumb kid. No parent is going to let his brother decide what college his children attend.

“They kind of stay out of business, they don't want to overstep," added Arch when asked how often he speaks with his uncles.

• Haha
Reactions: LandoComando
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT