ADVERTISEMENT

Bo Bassett thread

Why does it bother you so much? He is allowed his opinion.

I agree. Although this gets a little tiresome.
673.gif

DISCLAIMER: no actual horses were beaten in this gif.

or you are. I really hope Bo picks a team not named PSU. He has the right to do everything he is doing, and I have every right to say that I think his actions could destroy team dynamics. I mean it when I say I hope he goes elsewhere. For as good as he is on the mat, I don't think he is a good fit for our program. I hope you can appropriately grieve that I don't support your position.

I wrote this to a friend recently regarding Bassett, and it's apropo here ...

I'm not sold on whether his social media influencing is potentially a future cancer in a program's culture. I don't mean that Bo is a cancer himself, but if freshman Bo is making $1M a year in NIL and a junior 2-time champion on the team is making $300k, that could create internal friction. I don't like it, and I bet it is giving Cael some pause. Cael has built a monolithic program where nearly everyone sings his tune and he is the face of the program. Bo sings his own tune, and while he has that right, I'm not sure that works in an ensemble program like PSU, but moreso in a program like Iowa where Bo can be the face of the program.

Anything unconventional is annoying to most. I personally like that this kid is outside the box. IMO is changing the sport in ways for the better. I hope he keeps doing his thing.
Some say they don't like it and wouldn't do it but that could be because it wasn't available when we were 16. Kind of like kids sending inappropriate pics to each other. We didn't because it wasn't available.

Reactions: hlstone

I'm not sold on whether his social media influencing is potentially a future cancer in a program's culture. I don't mean that Bo is a cancer himself, but if freshman Bo is making $1M a year in NIL and a junior 2-time champion on the team is making $300k, that could create internal friction. I don't like it, and I bet it is giving Cael some pause. Cael has built a monolithic program where nearly everyone sings his tune and he is the face of the program. Bo sings his own tune, and while he has that right, I'm not sure that works in an ensemble program like PSU, but moreso in a program like Iowa where Bo can be the face of the program.
I trust Cael Sanderson to figure this out.

Chances are he already decided that he wants Bassett.

Why invent reasons for Blaze still being available?

He may be late for the 2025 class, but he's far from late historically. For example: Carter committed in mid-November of his SR year -- 4 months later than now.
Not inventing reasons, just thinking of reasons he may not have committed yet. Especially knowing he hates the recruiting process.

Not inventing reasons, just thinking of reasons he may not have committed yet. Especially knowing he hates the recruiting process.

If you've ever been through the recruiting process, you'd know that it’s entirely possible to not like the overall process, and still struggle with making the decision of where you want to go.

Last edited:
He has that right. Why does it bother you?
I never said it bothers me. I do have the right to not have it bother me.....don't I? I do have to commend your cut and paste skills......I believe these exact words have been used by you multiple times. For the record.....it doesn't bother me....:)

or you are. I really hope Bo picks a team not named PSU. He has the right to do everything he is doing, and I have every right to say that I think his actions could destroy team dynamics. I mean it when I say I hope he goes elsewhere. For as good as he is on the mat, I don't think he is a good fit for our program. I hope you can appropriately grieve that I don't support your position.

d18yd5x-d4e4ed6f-6d2e-4db6-8197-b4d072bc1dfd.jpg

It is strange men seem to be jealous of a kid. He is changing the sport, living a dream, winning at a high level and living rent free in a lot of grown men’s heads. There is zero doubt Cael wants a kid like Bo and will most likely get him. Just because he posts on social media and doing unconventional recruiting why hate on him. If my sons were just coming up through now I would want them to be like Bo. Watch his matches, interviews and stuff. I think he is great for the sport of wrestling. Is he worth a bigger nil, I would say yes to some programs. Not as much to PSU. For an Iowa, Oklahoma St, Rutgers, Michigan he is a program changer. He would attract a fan base, get young kids interested in that program and possibly attract other top recruits.

I know I worked in the summers as a kid delivering papers. This kid makes as much as most adults do now posting on YouTube and signing poster. For crying out loud he runs clinics with 200 wrestlers. Most adult coaches could handle that. Then we have weirdo adults talking jealous trash on the kid. Kudos to him and hope he picks PSU, but if he doesn’t I will still be a fan of him and his approach to the sport.

If you have ever been through the recruiting process, you know that it’s entirely possible to not like the overall process, and still struggle with making the decision of where you do want to go.
This^^.

Should not be difficult to understand.

Reactions: Sullivan
It is strange men seem to be jealous of a kid. He is changing the sport, living a dream, winning at a high level and living rent free in a lot of grown men’s heads. There is zero doubt Cael wants a kid like Bo and will most likely get him. Just because he posts on social media and doing unconventional recruiting why hate on him. If my sons were just coming up through now I would want them to be like Bo. Watch his matches, interviews and stuff. I think he is great for the sport of wrestling. Is he worth a bigger nil, I would say yes to some programs. Not as much to PSU. For an Iowa, Oklahoma St, Rutgers, Michigan he is a program changer. He would attract a fan base, get young kids interested in that program and possibly attract other top recruits.

I know I worked in the summers as a kid delivering papers. This kid makes as much as most adults do now posting on YouTube and signing poster. For crying out loud he runs clinics with 200 wrestlers. Most adult coaches could handle that. Then we have weirdo adults talking jealous trash on the kid. Kudos to him and hope he picks PSU, but if he doesn’t I will still be a fan of him and his approach to the sport.
That's one way to look at it. Another point of view might be the rest of us that see weirdo adults obsessing over this kid's every move. This thing could easily turn into Todd Marinovich part deux.

I like that the word jealousy gets thrown around so much when people don't like what other people are doing. How on earth do you think that jealousy has anything to do with thier opinions of right and wrong? I have to think that you are more prone to be jealous for thinking that they are jealous.

What exactly tly is there to be jealous of, that they are not elite recruits or that they aren't getting the attention that bo is, I just don't get the jealousy.

Reactions: Bob_Anderson

It should only be an issue if Bassett is getting more NIL money from PSU than other proven wrestlers. Any money Bassett gets from his own branding, putting in the time and effort to get marketing deals, should not be an issue. After all, that was the intent of NIL, given the athletes the ability to market themselves and benefit financially from it.

Sadly, NIL has turned into pay for play with the schools and their collectives footing the bill.

Honestly, insulting 30+ teams for this stunt is both unnecessary and disrespectful.

I don't have my head in the sand, but simply using these small fledgling programs in this way is a bad look, while worse yet counter productive IMO.

He could have built even more 'realistic' tension and anticipation, while building his "brand" by stringing this out over two months, simply listing the 'real' top 10 programs and eliminating only one per week.

I really don't get the point at all of listing dozens of programs that have zero chance of landing him. It's a big Yawnfest, on several levels.

In a word stupid, but I'll go with Toolish as well.
I think about it totally different than you. There are many high school wrestlers out there that don't know the schools on his list have a wrestling team. He is advertising for them.

If I'm the coach for one of those schools, I would use it to my advantage.

If you have ever been through the recruiting process, you know that it’s entirely possible to not like the overall process, and still struggle with making the decision of where you do want to go.
Have you been through the recruiting process? I would enjoy to read about any fun stories you have to share.

I thought it was fun as a athlete/student and as the father of a student/athlete.

Have you been through the recruiting process? I would enjoy to read about any fun stories you have to share.

I thought it was fun as a athlete/student and as the father of a student/athlete.

Yes, I have. No fun stories. Lots of junk mail. A lot of coaches calling you that you have no interest. The attention gets old in a hurry. Many of the calls came after practice when you have homework and a lot of other things to do. I didn't enjoy it at all.

And to think that Bo, Jax, and Blaze receive 100x the calls that I received. It's no wonder Bo wants to eliminate teams every week. If I was Bo, I would have eliminated more than 3/4 of them in the first week. My guess is that some of the teams that he eliminated are still calling him.

Last edited:
Reactions: hlstone
It should only be an issue if Bassett is getting more NIL money from PSU than other proven wrestlers. Any money Bassett gets from his own branding, putting in the time and effort to get marketing deals, should not be an issue. After all, that was the intent of NIL, given the athletes the ability to market themselves and benefit financially from it.

Sadly, NIL has turned into pay for play with the schools and their collectives footing the bill.
Also: Cael just hired Clay Steadman specifically to work NIL.

If Bassett brings his own, that's an opportunity to leverage for the entire team.

Yes, I have. No fun stories. Lots of junk mail. A lot of coaches calling you that you have no interest in. The attention gets old in a hurry. Many of the calls came after practice when you have homework and a lot of other things to do. I didn't enjoy it at all.

And to think that Bo, Jax, and Blaze receive 100x the calls that I received. It's no wonder Bo wants to eliminate teams every week. If I was Bo, I would have eliminated more than 3/4 of them in the first week. My guess is that some of the teams that he eliminated are still calling him.
I learned from the cold calls and actually used some of their approaches when I had to do it.

But, come on man. The official visits!! I used all 5 of mine. Clarion was amazing. It was 1990 so times were different.

I
There is zero doubt Cael wants a kid like Bo and will most likely get him.
Maybe a wrestler like Bo would be a good fit. Maybe not. I have zero doubt those kissing his ring will will do an about face when he goes elsewhere. Personally I have never watched a match of his. Don't care to. Reminds me of labron.

Last edited:
I learned from the cold calls and actually used some of their approaches when I had to do it.

But, come on man. The official visits!! I used all 5 of mine. Clarion was amazing. It was 1990 so times were different.
My exact thoughts! My visits were so much fun. I also took a recruiting trip to Clarion in 95. Also one to Lock Haven. I’m from CO so it was so cool as a high schooler to get flown across the country and shown a good time.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT