ADVERTISEMENT

Bowl guru Jerry Palm projects Penn State to finish 10-2 and play Oklahoma in Peach

It means--if Franklin is such a great coach are others trying to steal him--if not, why not?
Your statement was that people would kill for what we have but, if so, why aren't they making a run?

They supposedly were prior to the current contract extension. No school is gonna buyout his current deal and pay him the going rate.

Reactions: 81b&w
It means--if Franklin is such a great coach are others trying to steal him--if not, why not?
Your statement was that people would kill for what we have but, if so, why aren't they making a run?
they have. his name was mentioned with USC for example.

Reactions: 81b&w
They supposedly were prior to the current contract extension. No school is gonna buyout his current deal and pay him the going rate.

Not that long ago he was one of the hottest commodities in college coaching and parlayed that into big bucks in contract extensions with us.

People gave him a pass for the unsuccessful Covid year in 2020, but the 2021 season and that horrible loss to Illinois did take a lot of shine off his star. In fact, I think he was a strong candidate for the USC opening that year, but Illinois and the late-season collapse killed all the Trojan buzz.

All that said, there's no doubt in my mind that he'd be scarfed up in a New York minute if he were to leave Penn State. Coaches with charisma and successful records are at a premium on the college football scene. They can write their own tickets.

I mean, OK, we're frustrated with his inability to get over the hump against the two "elite" teams in our league, but this is still a guy with four 11-win seasons, one conference championship, and multiple NY6 bowl victories. Schools would be lining up to sign him on.

Reactions: bytir and 81b&w
Same thing year in year out if we don’t want to win a championship than give football up

Not that long ago he was one of the hottest commodities in college coaching and parlayed that into big bucks in contract extensions with us.

People gave him a pass for the unsuccessful Covid year in 2020, but the 2021 season and that horrible loss to Illinois did take a lot of shine off his star. In fact, I think he was a strong candidate for the USC opening that year, but Illinois and the late-season collapse killed all the Trojan buzz.

All that said, there's no doubt in my mind that he'd be scarfed up in a New York minute if he were to leave Penn State. Coaches with charisma and successful records are at a premium on the college football scene. They can write their own tickets.

I mean, OK, we're frustrated with his inability to get over the hump against the two "elite" teams in our league, but this is still a guy with four 11-win seasons, one conference championship, and multiple NY6 bowl victories. Schools would be lining up to sign him on.
Probably but not the schools that are elite, or close to being elite that want to get there. They will question hard if he is the right guy based on his PSU track record.

In our conference every school not named Michigan or OSU would hire him. As for the new schools coming in, I don't think Washington, Oregon or USC would hire him. UCLA would.

ACC he probably could get any of the gigs except Clemson and FSU I think would pass on him.

I don't see Texas or OU hiring him. Nor of course Bama or UGA.

The caveat would he if for example a Texas really fell off and had like 6 or 7 seasons of 4-5 losses then Franklin could bring them back up.

Cool exhibition game if you want to take a trip to Georgia and pretend it's a real game

Yes, Lando, whatever you say.

And by that reasoning, we shouldn't show up for the last two games of the regular season.

Listen, I don't want to be harsh, but after a couple years of reading your shtick here, I have doubts as to whether you're a straight shooter.

Yes, Lando, whatever you say.

And by that reasoning, we shouldn't show up for the last two games of the regular season.

Listen, I don't want to be harsh, but after a couple years of reading your shtick here, I have doubts as to whether you're a straight shooter.
The regular season games are part of the season. Like every level, you play them. Anyone entering the draft should opt out of the bowl.

Not sure what makes you have doubts. Have I ever given any indication I care about bowls games?

Our season was essentially over when we lost to Ohio State because of the idiotic 4 team playoff. If this was next year this final two games would have actual importance as opposed to us just playing out our schedule.

LOL. From the guy who literally lives on these message boards. Put the keyboard away for a month and get a (real) life. Jeebers
Lives here? Interesting
When college football ends I'll be here less unless our basketball team is competitive since I don't care about wrestling.
I'm not sure why people still pretend bowls matter look at the list of games on the link.

Lives here? Interesting
When college football ends I'll be here less unless our basketball team is competitive since I don't care about wrestling.
I'm not sure why people still pretend bowls matter look at the list of games on the link.
Have you been to a bowl game?

Yep...not many teams have consistently contended: Alabama, GA, tOSU. Who else?
Franklin has had time to build the program post sanctions. Joe built and sustained a great program through the mid late 90s. He got old, OSU got Tressel, we have a terrible scandal, OSU gets Urban and what do you know we have lost to them 16 out of 20 years.

There are no more excuses. He essentially never wins a game where he is an underdog. In fact besides the 2016 OSU game I don't think he ever has. And this is not like we are Indiana and 25 point underdogs. The point spreads are close yet he never can get it done in winnable games. Bad movie plays every season.
Joe built a great program from the late 60s through the mid late 90s and should have had at least four or five national championships, 69, maybe 73 and definitely 94.

Reactions: NedFromYork
We would have made a 12-team playoff several times in Franklin's tenure, which Is pretty impressive considering he took over a program still crippled by sanctions.
We'll see how it works in college football, but playoffs can be a fundamental change in results compared to the regular season for NBA, NHL, MLB, NCAA hoops, etc.

The 2024 and beyond CFP might be a new season where an #8 or #10 seed, etc. gets hot and wins a couple games.

Making the playoffs could be a mark of a good season, even for impatient fans

The Peach Bowl. Against either Oklahoma or Mississippi. What a thrilling prospect. LOL, where do I sign up?
Better than Tulane.

BTW they beat Tulane 37-20 earlier this year. They also beat LSU and Auburn. They lost to AL 24-10 and got smoked by GA 52-17. They are very similar to us...beat all of the pretenders but lost to the contenders.

Better than Tulane.

BTW they beat Tulane 37-20 earlier this year. They also beat LSU and Auburn. They lost to AL 24-10 and got smoked by GA 52-17. They are very similar to us...beat all of the pretenders but lost to the contenders.

Kiffin even commented after the game something along the lines of we have to recruit better to beat UGA. Imagine what that entails. #1 or #2 class for 3-5 years straight.

Reactions: Obliviax
Kiffin even commented after the game something along the lines of we have to recruit better to beat UGA. Imagine what that entails. #1 or #2 class for 3-5 years straight.
AL or Mississipi would be good opponents. Mississippi is a commensurate program. AL is going to bring a HUGE audience. Really, anybody but Tulane. That is just a no-win situation.

AL or Mississipi would be good opponents. Mississippi is a commensurate program. AL is going to bring a HUGE audience. Really, anybody but Tulane. That is just a no-win situation.

It's all in how it falls. The conference ties in suck. Make the best ball games of what is left. Bring on the 12 team playoff.

Reactions: LandoComando
The Peach Bowl. Against either Oklahoma or Mississippi. What a thrilling prospect. LOL, where do I sign up?
So don't go or watch. Have we ever played Ole Miss? Last time we played Oklahoma was 1985 (okay, Jan 1, 1986). It's still a NY6.

Jesus, some of you are insufferable. I was as disappointed/upset as anyone about the OSU/Mich games but for those of you who act like it's playoffs or national championship or bust, how disappointing is your fall/winter seasons? When is the last time we've been in the title hunt during bowl season? Once in 30 years? 1994. Yes, 2005 and 2008 were one loss teams but there was a title game and we weren't in it.

So did you not go to any bowl between 1994 and present? Did you not watch any of those bowls because they didnt have any national title implications?

Yes we went over this before. I've been to many before they became completely meaningless.
I don't read every single post you or anyone else makes. I don't have the time, as apparently, so many on this board do. I understand the 'meaningless' label especially with the top 4 playoff system and I certainly understand the label starting next year.

What I disagree with is that they are meaningless to the team and/or anyone outside the team is an idiot if they care about which bowl we end up. We weren't in a playoff or BCS champ game in 2005, 2008, 2016, 2017, 2019, or 2022 but those were all big bowls. You're the only game on eyes are on your team (yes I realize the games are during the holidays and attention is diverted but still) and in most cases play a quality opponent. Heck, I would even throw in the 2002 (technically Jan 1, 2003) as not a meaningless bowl as it was a bounce back season after 2000 and 2001.

Again, bowls will take on a whole different feel with the 12 team playoff--especially for those who just miss out on the playoff but for this year and the previous 10 years, only 12 teams play in the top 6 bowls out of 120+ teams so making a NY6 shouldn't be considered meaningless.

Now having said all that, let the disparagements begin...

Yes, that and $3.50 will get you a cup of regular coffee at Starbucks, but bowl-projection season is always fun nevertheless.

If Palm is right, it means another NY6 bid. Granted, a lot of people had set their sights even higher than that, but it would still be a nice accomplishment for Franklin and this team.

Anyway, Palm has Georgia, Michigan, Florida State, and Texas (in that order) going to the playoffs.

It'd be sweet to shock the world on November 11 -- it could happen -- and send him back to the drawing board:

Let's just hope we get past Rutgers & MSU

I don't read every single post you or anyone else makes. I don't have the time, as apparently, so many on this board do. I understand the 'meaningless' label especially with the top 4 playoff system and I certainly understand the label starting next year.

What I disagree with is that they are meaningless to the team and/or anyone outside the team is an idiot if they care about which bowl we end up. We weren't in a playoff or BCS champ game in 2005, 2008, 2016, 2017, 2019, or 2022 but those were all big bowls. You're the only game on eyes are on your team (yes I realize the games are during the holidays and attention is diverted but still) and in most cases play a quality opponent. Heck, I would even throw in the 2002 (technically Jan 1, 2003) as not a meaningless bowl as it was a bounce back season after 2000 and 2001.

Again, bowls will take on a whole different feel with the 12 team playoff--especially for those who just miss out on the playoff but for this year and the previous 10 years, only 12 teams play in the top 6 bowls out of 120+ teams so making a NY6 shouldn't be considered meaningless.

Now having said all that, let the disparagements begin...
If you enjoy watching the bowl games that's great. People enjoy preseason NFL games and spring training for MLB. To each their own. The outcome though isn't important in college football. Is a nice reward. The kids get to take a fun trip and get free stuff but it's impossible to pretend the games are important. Doesn't mean you can't still enjoy them.

Palm's latest projection, dated today, November 12: still an NY6 (Peach) bid versus Mississippi:

Wonder if he’ll change his SEC team if Ole Miss falls below Mizzou in the CFP rankings like they did in the other 2 rankings.

If you enjoy watching the bowl games that's great. People enjoy preseason NFL games and spring training for MLB. To each their own. The outcome though isn't important in college football. Is a nice reward. The kids get to take a fun trip and get free stuff but it's impossible to pretend the games are important. Doesn't mean you can't still enjoy them.
Either you're naive or condescending when putting bowl games on the same level as preseason NFL games or spring training. You sound knowledgeable enough so it feels like the latter. Last I checked, the games count, the stats count, results impact rankings, and extra practices for the younger guys happens so you can believe they are worthless and I can believe there is value to them and all that's fine. However, equating them to those two examples is just factually wrong.

Again, do bowls take on a whole different feel when the playoffs happen? Of course, and if you are the #13 or #14 team and miss out on the playoff, does a bowl bid to the Citrus or Music City bowl feel meaningless? My comments were primarily about the current and previous years.

Yes, that and $3.50 will get you a cup of regular coffee at Starbucks, but bowl-projection season is always fun nevertheless.

If Palm is right, it means another NY6 bid. Granted, a lot of people had set their sights even higher than that, but it would still be a nice accomplishment for Franklin and this team.

Anyway, Palm has Georgia, Michigan, Florida State, and Texas (in that order) going to the playoffs.

It'd be sweet to shock the world on November 11 -- it could happen -- and send him back to the drawing board:

They will likely get the same bowl that they would have (NY6) had they gone 11-1 but also lost the divisional tiebreaker (which they are currently leading I think, but at the beginning of the season it looked unlikely).

The sky is not falling.

Either you're naive or condescending when putting bowl games on the same level as preseason NFL games or spring training. You sound knowledgeable enough so it feels like the latter. Last I checked, the games count, the stats count, results impact rankings, and extra practices for the younger guys happens so you can believe they are worthless and I can believe there is value to them and all that's fine. However, equating them to those two examples is just factually wrong.

Again, do bowls take on a whole different feel when the playoffs happen? Of course, and if you are the #13 or #14 team and miss out on the playoff, does a bowl bid to the Citrus or Music City bowl feel meaningless? My comments were primarily about the current and previous years.
The problem with these non playoff bowls are the opt outs. That Outback bowl vs Arkansas was a total joke.

I would say this, if an Indiana, a Purdue, a Rutgers or a Nebraska is able to nudge their chin over the bar and get to 6 or maybe 7 wins for a bowl then great. That bowl game is really important for programs like that and means something to that program. For us, we are beyond that. At this stage we need playoff appearances otherwise it does nothing for our program. Yeah we get some extra practice time but I am stretched to think that is really important.

The problem with these non playoff bowls are the opt outs. That Outback bowl vs Arkansas was a total joke.

I would say this, if an Indiana, a Purdue, a Rutgers or a Nebraska is able to nudge their chin over the bar and get to 6 or maybe 7 wins for a bowl then great. That bowl game is really important for programs like that and means something to that program. For us, we are beyond that. At this stage we need playoff appearances otherwise it does nothing for our program. Yeah we get some extra practice time but I am stretched to think that is really important.
I don't disagree. Your point about the Outback vs Arkansas is true but Outback isn't Rose, Fiesta, or even the Cotton Bowl.

We missed the playoffs in the 2016, 2017, and 2019 seasons and I think those NY6 bowls were positive experiences that helped lay the groundwork in terms of setting expectations and experience. I didn't include the 2022 season as I dont think any of us thought a playoff spot was realistic.

But of course, the Outback, Citrus, Music City, etc, etc will be viewed far differently with the 12 team playoff.

I'm not--the outcome has the same meaning. Absolutely none.
They count because the networks make money on the bowl games. It's an antiquated system that's slowly going to die
The extra practices are great--notice the word used--practice
What meaning does the Citrus or Music City have now? Or the Peach? If you win--do you advance or, same as the loser, do you go home?

Bowl games were originally created for a dozen or so teams to be rewarded for a good season. Now, it's oversaturated where a 5-7 team can go to a bowl game without a quality win. Hell, that can include a win over an FCS school. The Rose Bowl and others fought against a playoff. Once the 4 team playoff was created the bowl became even more meaningless than they already were unless they had a team ranked in the top 2 maybe 3. Going to 12 it's absolutely the equivalent of a NFL pre season game

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT