ADVERTISEMENT

Cassar & Hall's: Classless Post Match Celebrations

Classless post-game conduct:

sadpizza.gif

Yeah, I am old. Yeah, many of my posts can certainly be deemed "classless."

That's why i feel I am somewhat of an expert when it comes to tasteless demonstrations.

If we were wrestling fans outside of Penn State most on this board would have made some type of snide comment about their celebration. Admit it. Don't be a bunch of hypocrites.

I along with most of you have given Cael & Casey tremendous accolades for their unparalleled performance in recent wrestling history in producing elite, classy wrestlers.

To me those celebrations were a step back in the classy department.
What a waste of space. Let these kids live free without our "informed" opinions/judgements.

I’d tell VanBrill he ain’t wrestling the next match.

I don’t like either of our kids celebrations either. Cassar’s really bugged me.

On the flip side I get Nickal’s celebration....he won the National Championship for himself AND his TEAM.

Otherwise act like you’ve won big matches before...hug you coaches & teamates-after shaking your opponent & his coaches hands.

Van Brill today, after a 2-1 win over Rider's backup.

That goes down on the all time list of stupid celebrations where the actions on the mat didn’t meet the celebration.

Watched the whole match. Van Brill never took a shot and was content winning a 2-1 match against a backup for Rider. Did absolutely nothing. Then as soon as he gets his hand raised goes with the backflip.

Listen. I’m all for guys showing emotion and celebrating. But a 2-1 riding time point against a backup. Come on now

That's hysterical. And not to piss off Turk too badly, but it's reminiscent of the "throw me", "No, coach, I don't want to", "no, throw me, it will be fun".

Last edited:
Reactions: Antaeus
Can't say for certain but it sure looked like Suriano made a throat slash gesture after his match today against Rider. His back was to the camera. Did anyone else see that?

Reactions: JBott
I understand what lionlover is saying, the old school old man in me felt that the mark hall head slap most definitely should have been a warning to him only, and the cassar celebration was showing up a kid that was supposed to get killed. just my gut, still love those guys...kids are kids:D

Hall celebrating his revenge match against the returning NCAA champ...Fair game great Air Guitar...could go all the way to the national air guitar championships

giphy.gif

On the flip side I get Nickal’s celebration....he won the National Championship for himself AND his TEAM.

Otherwise act like you’ve won big matches before...hug you coaches & teamates-after shaking your opponent & his coaches hands.
I'd really like to see you in something even close to Hall's situation and not show any emotion. I think the fans that were there(I include myself) should sit there and give the golf clap after a match like that. We should act like we've been there before, because we have.

As a former wrestler, 25+ year official, fan, and PSU graduate, I much prefer the conduct of Zain, Nolf, DT, Nico, Lee, and an abundance of others. I find it helpful to define the term. Here are 3 different definitions.

British English: taunt VERB. If someone taunts you, they say unkind or insulting things to you, especially about your weaknesses or failures. A gang taunted the boy.

uk /tɔːnt/ us /tɑːnt/ to intentionally annoy and upset someone by making unkind remarks to them, laughing unkindly, etc.: The other kids used to taunt him in the playground because he was fat and wore glasses. Mocking and taunting.

Definition of taunt. (Entry 1 of 2) transitive verb. : to reproach or challenge in a mocking or insulting manner : jeer at.

I don’t view the actions of RBY, Mark, or Cassar as taunting based on these definitions. Is it scripted and deliberate vs the raw celebration we saw back in March from Nolf and Bo - I think the answer is Yes. Is there risk of the scripted actions being viewed as disrespectful? I think the answer is also yes.

The question that should be asked and answered: What is the upside of having our guys act in this way vs the downside?

Remember that time Barry Sanders celebrated after a touchdown? Me either, and no one had a problem with it.

Reactions: 7Springs
Merriam defines classless as crass or boorish (since I don't think the OP was talking about lack of social class). Crass means "having grossness of mind that precludes delicacy, " while boorish means "resembling a rude or insensitive person."
Hall played air guitar for 1.6 seconds after his victory, while facing away from ZV. Cassar shrugged and mugged for 3 seconds after his pin, also while facing away from his opponent. Used DVR to make sure I had those times right.
Hall had just beaten the defending national champion, who had beaten him last March for that title, as the underdog (at least for everyone outside of State College) in front of his home crowd.
Cassar just put an exclamation point on the demolition of a top 10 opponent, also in front of his home crowd.
I personally did not see any classless behavior at all. My recommendation is that anyone who was "offended" by either Hall or Cassar's behavior should listen to the match on the radio, so they are not visually disappointed in the exuberance of the young men in the blue and white singlets. Also, GET A LIFE!

Merriam defines classless as crass or boorish (since I don't think the OP was talking about lack of social class). Crass means "having grossness of mind that precludes delicacy, " while boorish means "resembling a rude or insensitive person."
Hall played air guitar for 1.6 seconds after his victory, while facing away from ZV. Cassar shrugged and mugged for 3 seconds after his pin, also while facing away from his opponent. Used DVR to make sure I had those times right.
Hall had just beaten the defending national champion, who had beaten him last March for that title, as the underdog (at least for everyone outside of State College) in front of his home crowd.
Cassar just put an exclamation point on the demolition of a top 10 opponent, also in front of his home crowd.
I personally did not see any classless behavior at all. My recommendation is that anyone who was "offended" by either Hall or Cassar's behavior should listen to the match on the radio, so they are not visually disappointed in the exuberance of the young men in the blue and white singlets. Also, GET A LIFE!
top 10 opponent? not offended, just disappointed in his behavior.

Last edited:

+1000:)

As a former wrestler, 25+ year official, fan, and PSU graduate, I much prefer the conduct of Zain, Nolf, DT, Nico, Lee, and an abundance of others. I find it helpful to define the term. Here are 3 different definitions.

British English: taunt VERB. If someone taunts you, they say unkind or insulting things to you, especially about your weaknesses or failures. A gang taunted the boy.

uk /tɔːnt/ us /tɑːnt/ to intentionally annoy and upset someone by making unkind remarks to them, laughing unkindly, etc.: The other kids used to taunt him in the playground because he was fat and wore glasses. Mocking and taunting.

Definition of taunt. (Entry 1 of 2) transitive verb. : to reproach or challenge in a mocking or insulting manner : jeer at.

I don’t view the actions of RBY, Mark, or Cassar as taunting based on these definitions. Is it scripted and deliberate vs the raw celebration we saw back in March from Nolf and Bo - I think the answer is Yes. Is there risk of the scripted actions being viewed as disrespectful? I think the answer is also yes.

The question that should be asked and answered: What is the upside of having our guys act in this way vs the downside?
Best post in this thread considering your credentials! Also @drock1971 I especially respect your opinion as a former student athlete.

I understand what lionlover is saying, the old school old man in me felt that the mark hall head slap most definitely should have been a warning to him only, and the cassar celebration was showing up a kid that was supposed to get killed. just my gut, still love those guys...kids are kids:D

Hall celebrating his revenge match against the returning NCAA champ...Fair game great Air Guitar...could go all the way to the national air guitar championships

giphy.gif

Manny, that GIF was OUTSTANDING!:D

Reactions: danoftw
The question that should be asked and answered: What is the upside of having our guys act in this way vs the downside?[/QUOTE]

IMO, upside - high school wrestlers considering Penn State realize it is a place where they can get a great education, learn under an all-time great coach and have a little fun in the process.
Downside - a small number of stodgy PSU fans, who lament change and longingly wish for a bygone era of simplicity, are disappointed in the unspeakable behavior of the current team members.
Again, just one man's opinion.

This has to have been one of the dumber threads I’ve read. As stated in Billy Madison “At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.”

There’s a difference between taunting and celebrating. Celebrations are a part of today’s day in age not only in wrestling but in every sport. If an athlete busts their ass and gets a win or a td or anything by all means go ahead and celebrate, this isn’t the 80s, 90, or even early 2000s for that matter. We are living in an age where social media is prominent in the culture and everyone has access. Quite frankly I’m beyond excited hall takes down the #1 wrestler and then hits a little air guitar that’s fun. That should get Rec hall going. Cassar has been written off since big tens and nationals last year so if him shrugging is taunting get outta here. Next thing we know there will be a thread about why we have red Gatorade instead of orange.

Hall's celebration came off as genuine excitement. It was quick and away from the opponent. I don't see a huge problem with it. Cassar's celebration came off a little arrogant. I don't have a huge problem with it but I could definitely do without it.

If Gable dances on Cassar in March is anyone going to have a problem with that?
Said it before: I’d be most pleased to see him go from two-step to escape velocity (with two tons of jersey booster rocket underneath) in that scenario.

I guess I’m a bit new breed: I like a little showmanship, provided it’s respectful. RBG’s finger wag bugged me a tiny bit (she gets plenty of opportunities to scold from the bench ;)). But I’m not losing sleep over it. I’d prefer my boys emulate Zain and Jason though. In part because I was raised a Lutheran in PA, with germanic values.

I'm not a big fan of celebrating after a win, or a TD, or a goal, or anything really. I never celebrated when I won a match and when I scored a goal in soccer I just ran back to the other side of the field.

I think the biggest problem I have with the celebrations is that I find them to be corny in wrestling and little cringy. I actually do like Mark Hall's hammer celebration and I wish he had done that instead of the air guitar (which I found a little hokey) when he beat Zahid but whatever, it didn't really bother me. Apparently it fits his personality from what everyone says so that's great.

I thought Cassar's was a little funny. The whole NJ Italian thing and the faces/shoulder shrug were entertaining I thought.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that if they want to celebrate after a big moment make it cool at least.

Kind of echoing the sentiments of several other people here but I didn't see a problem with Mark's. He "upset" the #1 ranked guy who denied him of a national championship last season and has since had to endure an entire year of comments about how they're not in the same league and he only beat him on a technicality. He showed, handily, that's not true and celebrated. Zahid should take it as a compliment that beating him meant that much to Mark.

Ant the Champ's, on the other hand, I could've done without. He beat an unranked backup and the match had already been decided for quite some time. Nor was it a celebration, more denigration of his opponent. For someone who himself has been a backup, and has no major achievements on the NCAA level yet, he should tone it down a bit. It rubbed me the wrong way but it wasn't worth a thread.

Can't say for certain but it sure looked like Suriano made a throat slash gesture after his match today against Rider. His back was to the camera. Did anyone else see that?
Yes I did! And Wgarbarini said that RU did not go after Howard because they knew he would not be a fit for the "team culture" at RU!
I responded, LOL!

I can't believe this is still being discussed.. although I guess I am adding to it by posting this.. I mean was Barkley being classless when he windmilled his arms at the end of every long TD run? I get what people are saying about not showing up the opponent and I am all for that as well and of all the ones the other night Cassar perhaps could be looked at kind of that way but really.. can we just move on, enjoy how great the kids are and let Cael and the coaches decide what they think is over the line or not in regards to celebration?

Yes I did! And Wgarbarini said that RU did not go after Howard because they knew he would not be a fit for the "team culture" at RU!
I responded, LOL!
Yeah, and Saquon would've been their 4th string RB.

Reactions: JBott
I wonder what the wrestlers would say if they could critique our every behavior? Judge not, lest ye be judged...

Reactions: Dogwelder
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT