ADVERTISEMENT

David Taylor to Oklahoma State & related news

Helluva coach, pretty terrific man. He and my father were friends, so every match he ever saw me wrestle I got critiqued. Never more than a handful of words, but my gosh he could tell you a lot in those handful of words. Saw him walking the floor at OTT and had the opportunity to chat for a few moments.

There were quite a few talented LH wrestlers at the end of the 70s and early 80s who missed out in getting the chance to wrestle for him.
yes, tom was and is a great guy. went to lhu(then lhstc) with him. he wrestled, i played football. i was a townie and he was in a dorm. the townies would hang out at the lounge in one of the dorms. there were a bunch of us who played apba baseball between classes, great times. tom was quite a wrestler also, often wrestling several weight classes above his weight and winning most of the time. believe he started wrestling magazine and can always be seen at matches taking pictures. same guy today as he was nearly 60 years ago.

Did they address why no one from PSU or NLwC has said congratulations to David ?
It’s a bit odd and very telling to me
Considering the folks in the PSU room had direct access to DT as well as his number, it makes sense congratulations were given personally. Public displays of congrats for those who shook a hand, got a hug or conversed over a phone call aren't all that necessary.

On vacation with the fam and was wearing a PSU wrestling hat. A man wearing OSU golf gear head to toe came up and said how excited he was. Said his son golfed at OSU but his whole family went to OSU over the years. He was old enough to remember the days when OSU would be a title contender every year. Said some of his fondest memories were in IG Arena watching the wrestling team. Nice conversation, said he hopes DT can bring the offensive style to Stillwater. That conversation made me happy to see the excitement reignited in a fan, even if it might impact PSU down the road a bit with recruits.

Considering the folks in the PSU room had direct access to DT as well as his number, it makes sense congratulations were given personally. Public displays of congrats for those who shook a hand, got a hug or conversed over a phone call aren't all that necessary.
Yea , none of those guys are big on social media and share views on other topics , they just exclude it on this one Jesus they all are active on social media

I was four years too young but I have regretted not being coached by coach Elling my whole life. He was a great coach and the high school wouldn't pay him his worth (still extremely low). Tom Elling was my hero back then and still is today even though I've never met him. He is a principled man by all accounts. Every couple years I ask if he's still alive and am always heartened that he is. Thanks for asking!
pretty sure he has a facebook page which he runs pretty well

I agree with @5q - something went down as public displays are pretty much SOP nowadays

The OSU board is consistently bringing up PJ Duke being a guy they might flip, is there any legs to that?
Seems like a pipe dream to me.
They’re just throwing out anyone who spent time at M2. It’s to be expected after this bombshell move that fans are irrationally exhuberant, but Duke and most other recruits came to M2 as a byproduct of being close to the NLWC - which was the main purpose of their move to town.

They’re just throwing out anyone who spent time at M2. It’s to be expected after this bombshell move that fans are irrationally exhuberant, but Duke and most other recruits came to M2 as a byproduct of being close to the NLWC - which was the main purpose of their move to town.
and M2 isn't going to just suddenly start sending every blue chipper to DT or they risk losing access to the NLWC. It's called a pipeline for a reason. Both ends of the pipeline have to be working in tandem for the product to flow.

So I understand your point. He pissed off every single Nittany Lion wrestling affiliate and they all aren't talking to him now. OK, that makes more sense.
He did to a handful of them
The ones that are active on social media
I mean , who do you think Carter’s tweet was about ?

• Haha
Reactions: okcpokefan12
and M2 isn't going to just suddenly start sending every blue chipper to DT or they risk losing access to the NLWC. It's called a pipeline for a reason. Both ends of the pipeline have to be working in tandem for the product to flow.
Yes. For starters, it won't be M2 any more, maybe by brand but with zero Taylor association. David will need to completely divest from it including his name.

He might occasionally be there as a camp coach -- like a lot of D1 coaches conduct camps across the country. But being in Oklahoma, he won't be there very much. Whereas some PSU varsity and NLWC guys will be there pretty much every practice.

Did The NLWC or PSU wrestling accounts congratulate Ed Ruth, Cenzo, Molinaro or Hall when they moved on to other college coaching opportunities (albeit assistant position)? I can’t remember. Either way, DT IS a PSU legend and it was only a matter of time before someone became a head coach. In a room as ultra competitive as the NLWC, I am not surprised there is a little discord. It doesn’t mean we as fans have to pick a side. I wish both DT and AB the best of success (with a ceiling of second place for DT😉)

I'll throw in one data point here, FWIW. I have a friend whose family has a pretty good reputation in wrestling circles. He had an encounter with DT once that didn't sit too well with him. Does that mean DT is a bad guy? No. But it does mean that just like everyone else, (including me) he has his bad days. So maybe something happened where the stress of going through the negotiations with Ok State got the better of him and he didn't react well with the other PSU guys. I don't have any inside info on that subject, but I'm suggesting it as a possibility.

• Haha
Yes. For starters, it won't be M2 any more, maybe by brand but with zero Taylor association. David will need to completely divest from it including his name.

He might occasionally be there as a camp coach -- like a lot of D1 coaches conduct camps across the country. But being in Oklahoma, he won't be there very much. Whereas some PSU varsity and NLWC guys will be there pretty much every practice.
Safe to assume D2 has different rules for that than D1. Take Jody for instance, runs Young Guns but is an assistant coach at UPJ.

I'm sure Oklahoma State thinks they have access to our entire roster and recruiting class. PJ Duke is not a M2 kid like they said (he's in NY with KD who is a MASSIVE PSU fan) IIRC, Duke's list were mostly East Coast schools including Navy. Zack Ryder spent 1 year with M2 and he came here to establish residency and get in state tuition (the Nick Lee) because he basically chose to walk on for a chance to wrestle for Cael. I'm sure he's close to DT now. If Ryder wants to leave, he would need to portal since he's signed and enrolling. This gives Cael a 1 year lead to just recruit Ryder. Maybe the guy knows something about both but I wouldn't call them "M2 kids" It was Kasak and Levi if anything I would have worried about since they have been with DT since they were tots, Levi being one of his first students.

Bassett and Forrest, all bets off for them. Forrest has been penciled in there for a long time, Bassett I don't think ever was connected there (beyond his every school is on my list tweet lol) but obviously this can change things. But the fact Bassett and Forrest were looking at different schools shows they aren't the package people think they are. I think a big reason is it's almost inevitable they will pine for the 65 Olympic Spot one day and they know both know it.

just never know he could be back in a few yrs!LOL

And every rational person in attendance knew that and has a pretty clear idea of who DT believes is the true GOAT.
You can make a strong argument (if you can find anyone to argue with you) that Cael was the GOAT of folk style wrestling in the USA. He does not even enter the conversation for GOAT of Freestyle wrestling. I am guessing that DT knows this.

You can make a strong argument (if you can find anyone to argue with you) that Cael was the GOAT of folk style wrestling in the USA. He does not even enter the conversation for GOAT of Freestyle wrestling. I am guessing that DT knows this.
He won his 4th NCAA championship, then a world silver the next year and then an Olympic gold the year after that. Then he retired from competition and became the greatest coach since Gable. I guess you can say he wasn’t the international goat, but that apparently wasn’t a goal of his.

He won his 4th NCAA championship, then a world silver the next year and then an Olympic gold the year after that. Then he retired from competition and became the greatest coach since Gable. I guess you can say he wasn’t the international goat, but that apparently wasn’t a goal of his.
Since Gable?

I'm sure Oklahoma State thinks they have access to our entire roster and recruiting class. PJ Duke is not a M2 kid like they said (he's in NY with KD who is a MASSIVE PSU fan) IIRC, Duke's list were mostly East Coast schools including Navy.
What if Dake retires after Olympics and goes to OK St, say to head their RTC program?
Would that be the thing that might shake Duke?

Bryan Pearsall to OKstate..

will serve as Oklahoma State’s new Recruiting Coordinator.

There's a photo on X (Cowboy Wrestling account) of Kennedy who appears to be coaching OSU wrestlers. It’s currently not NCAA folkstyle season. Is OSU permitted to have official team practice with coaches?

• Haha
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT