ADVERTISEMENT

David Taylor to Oklahoma State & related news

Makes you wonder how Keuter will keep up if he’s not
I feel sorry for those dumb SOBs in the Cesspool. A part time heavy will never be more than a low AA. This isn't the old days. Heavies are no longer dancing bears and many are very athletic.

Reactions: vhsalum
TnT's decision as in allowing this arrangement? Do you think they should say "pick now" at this point?
Not TnT's ultimatum to make. Football is would be the one to issue the ultimatum since he is on a football scholarship. Now TnT could decide to recruit over him, but per GIA, that is wrong and TnT would never recruit over anyone.

Reactions: District four
Not TnT's ultimatum to make. Football is would be the one to issue the ultimatum since he is on a football scholarship. Now TnT could decide to recruit over him, but per GIA, that is wrong and TnT would never recruit over anyone.
It's hard to give an ultimatum when he's getting a far better deal from football. Truth is, he's likely a much better wrestler than football player but you can't deny a full ride. Tom would have to offer a full ride in order for him to wrestle full time. The longer this goes on, the less likely he is to reach his potential in either sport. He's currently in a self limiting position.

It's hard to give an ultimatum when he's getting a far better deal from football. Truth is, he's likely a much better wrestler than football player but you can't deny a full ride. Tom would have to offer a full ride in order for him to wrestle full time. The longer this goes on, the less likely he is to reach his potential in either sport. He's currently in a self limiting position.
1. You’re now in GIA land saying that schollie offer is main factor - in this case in choosing a sport rather than choosing a school.
2. Fanboy NIL. With his rank in FB and the willingness for wrestling to throw money around, he can probably get a bigger offer for wrestling starting today.
3. If he’s still getting feedback that he’s mid to upper NFL level, he’s probably going to get a higher NPV from FB, but the probability of that is the wildcard.

1. You’re now in GIA land saying that schollie offer is main factor - in this case in choosing a sport rather than choosing a school.
2. Fanboy NIL. With his rank in FB and the willingness for wrestling to throw money around, he can probably get a bigger offer for wrestling starting today.
3. If he’s still getting feedback that he’s mid to upper NFL level, he’s probably going to get a higher NPV from FB, but the probability of that is the wildcard.
It is hard to imagine him becoming anything other than a low to mid NFL draft pick IF he concentrates on football. At 220-ish, he's a tweener. Small for a linebacker and small for a heavy. If he gains 40 pounds and becomes a DE, can he compete as a DE at that weight, and can he maintain that weight for wrestling season. Answer is probably no on both accounts.

He needs to stick to one sport and make it his mission. Only then will NIL open up for him to any degree. Not much NIL for a 2nd string linebacker and part time wrestler.

It is hard to imagine him becoming anything other than a low to mid NFL draft pick IF he concentrates on football. At 220-ish, he's a tweener. Small for a linebacker and small for a heavy. If he gains 40 pounds and becomes a DE, can he compete as a DE at that weight, and can he maintain that weight for wrestling season. Answer is probably no on both accounts.

He needs to stick to one sport and make it his mission. Only then will NIL open up for him to any degree. Not much NIL for a 2nd string linebacker and part time wrestler.
What if he just gains 10lbs and is the same weight as most linebackers these days?

1. Kueter specifically wanted to be a 2-sport athlete during his recruitment. It self-limited his school selection -- not a lot of football coaches are going to allow this arrangement. So yes, he chose a sport ahead of the school.

That said, he was likely always going to Iowa if Ferentz allowed him to wrestle.

2. Provided he plays up to his potential for Ferentz, his NFL rookie contract earning potential dwarfs whatever wrestling NIL + RTC salary + world medalist bonus potential.

The big-money NIL being thrown at wrestlers is going to the proven commodities, not to guys who might make the podium this year.

Reactions: vhsalum
A 230-lb LB got drafted in the mid-2nd round this year, and 5 more in the 230-240 range went in the 3rd round.

10-15 lb is not difficult for a college football player to gain. His draft stock will depend much more on his play.

@Is_there_vodka_in_heaven
This triggered a random thought on a rainy morning. I like the occasional “Liquor War” skirmishes between @bourbon n blues and @Is_there_vodka_in_heaven. The manic outbursts from Heaven met by Blues’ calm, reasoned posts contrast nicely. Funny how both styles somewhat mirror their namesakes, one with more nuance, color, and flavor, the other blunt, clear, and tasteless.
Where’s that damn sun? I got lawns to cut.

A 230-lb LB got drafted in the mid-2nd round this year, and 5 more in the 230-240 range went in the 3rd round.

10-15 lb is not difficult for a college football player to gain. His draft stock will depend much more on his play.
Agree. My larger point is that playing two sports is counterproductive to getting the most out of either one, and I imagine both coaches feel the same way.

Jack Lambert played around 228 I believe. Quarterbacks are heavier than that these days.

Reactions: Cali_Nittany
This triggered a random thought on a rainy morning. I like the occasional “Liquor War” skirmishes between @bourbon n blues and @Is_there_vodka_in_heaven. The manic outbursts from Heaven met by Blues’ calm, reasoned posts contrast nicely. Funny how both styles somewhat mirror their namesakes, one with more nuance, color, and flavor, the other blunt, clear, and tasteless.
Reminds me of the Missouri / Iowa “border war”.

When Iowa became a U.S. territory in 1838, Congress decreed that President Martin Van Buren would appoint three commissioners — from Missouri, the Iowa Territory and the United States — to survey and mark the boundary between the two states.

Albert M. Lea, a soldier and engineer, would represent the United States. Dr. James Davis was appointed for the Iowa Territory. But Missouri's Gov. Lilburn Boggs declined to appoint a commissioner.

Missouri's position​

Missouri had adopted its own declaration in 1837, stating the boundary was several miles north of the Sullivan Line.

That was seen as law in the eyes of Missouri citizens and was enough authorization for Uriah S. Gregory, the sheriff of Clark County, Mo., to attempt to collect taxes in the disputed area in October 1839.

It didn't take long for Iowa Territory residents to object and chase the sheriff back across the original border.

When the sheriff tried a second time on Nov. 20, the sheriff of Iowa's Van Buren County arrested him. The county had no jail, so Gregory was kept at the Iowa sheriff's home in Farmington until he could be moved to the jail in Bloomington (what is now Muscatine).

In response, Gen. Allen of Lewis County, Mo., prevented any mail from entering into the Territory of Iowa.

Missouri forces were ready to march on Bloomington and rescue the Clark County sheriff.

Iowa responds​

On Dec. 3, 1839, G.A. Hendry, the deputy marshal of the Iowa Territory, sent a letter to Robert Lucas, governor of the Iowa Territory, reporting that a 'body of armed men from the state of Missouri, to the number of forty or fifty,' came into Van Buren County, 'that part of the Territory over which Missouri pretends to claim jurisdiction, and proceeded to demand, seize by force and carry away property of the citizens of the United States' as payment for taxes they claimed were due Missouri.

Lucas promptly ordered three divisions of Iowa militia to support the U.S. marshal in defending the Iowa Territory.

At the same time. the speaker of the U.S. House in Washington urged Congress to intervene and avoid a civil war between the two states.

No shots fired​

As quickly as tempers flared, calmer heads prevailed.

Both militias were battling rain and snow and a serious lack of equipment or supplies, when six of their leaders — Col. Thomas Anderson, F.H. Edmondson and S.M. Grant of Missouri and William Patterson, Dr. J.D. Payne and L.B. Hughes of Iowa — met in Waterloo, Mo., and negotiated an armistice.

With that, the two militias were told to go home. The soldiers were upset. They had been promised compensation for fighting in a war. No war meant no money.

Later reports said the soldiers opened a barrel of whiskey and shot a deer. They divided the deer in half and hung the carcasses from a tree. The halves were labeled Gov. Boggs and Gov. Lucas and were used for target practice.

Nonetheless, the two governors agreed to let Congress resolved the issue.

The March 7, 1840, Salt River Journal, published in Bowling Green, Mo., had an interesting take on the conflict.

To avoid all the trouble, it wrote, 'it only required that the Governor of Missouri should perform his obvious constitutional duty — to see that the law for the survey of the northern boundary was faithfully executed before the occupation of the disputed district under either Missouri or Iowa

Reactions: HikeNatParks
I was four years too young but I have regretted not being coached by coach Elling my whole life. He was a great coach and the high school wouldn't pay him his worth (still extremely low). Tom Elling was my hero back then and still is today even though I've never met him. He is a principled man by all accounts. Every couple years I ask if he's still alive and am always heartened that he is. Thanks for asking!
Tom has a wrestling page on FB. Might be good place to connect.

Reactions: HikeNatParks

??? It's hard to know where to start on this one, so I won't.

Well the rumors are coming true. They said Oklahoma State is going to drop some mad money to try to beat us! Hendrickson is great but 500k for one season and he still has no chance to beat Kerk. Michigan and Iowa both tried to buy teams and that didn’t work out!

If I was DT I would invest in their weak RTC.

This has to make people think, if programs are willing to pay 500K for one season of eligibility, how much will Blaze, Forest etc get? They are program changers. Maybe the over million dollar price tag isn’t far fetched

• Haha
Reactions: okcpokefan12
I’m not sure why people are surprised. A guy with very deep pockets and a love of Ok State wrestling moved mountains to attract DT there and he’s got a clear mission - get them back on top. You don’t have to read between any lines.

Penn state and Ok State are going to be knocking heads for the foreseeable future. I think Cael is up to the task.

Well the rumors are coming true. They said Oklahoma State is going to drop some mad money to try to beat us! Hendrickson is great but 500k for one season and he still has no chance to beat Kerk. Michigan and Iowa both tried to buy teams and that didn’t work out!

This has to make people think, if programs are willing to pay 500K for one season of eligibility, how much will Blaze, Forest etc get? They are program changers. Maybe the over million dollar price tag isn’t far fetched
I think Okie State knows that are not beating PSU next year, but beating Iowa and getting the second place trophy are both doable. Hendrickson significantly helps with both.

Where is that $500k number being reported?

Where are you getting $500k from? Secondly, while it is a one year gig at OSU, he is committing to four years at OSU+RTC under the WCAP. Same program McIntosh used. So OSU will be paid for Wyatt's entire time there.

This move IS Taylor strengthening and investing in a weak RTC. If Taylor can land Alirez, and later this year bring in Dake as head of the RTC, that would be a very strong nucleus along with Fix toward having the CWC be competitive enough to attract HS recruits.

Last edited:
Not sure, but a lot of forums re passing 500K in comments including PSU and Iowa. Never saw or anyone mentioning that here. Allirez 500K makes more sense than Wyatt getting it. Not saying he wont get it, just saying Allirez would want more.

well he was all state in football so he must be pretty good!

I’m not sure why people are surprised. A guy with very deep pockets and a love of Ok State wrestling moved mountains to attract DT there and he’s got a clear mission - get them back on top. You don’t have to read between any lines.

Penn state and Ok State are going to be knocking heads for the foreseeable future. I think Cael is up to the task.
They guy who was the main backer for DT to OSU is not an OK State fan or alum. He is a UCO alum. Just a wrestling fan who wants Oklahoma to be a stronger overall wrestling state. Apparently he pitched DT to OU last season. But his investment in OSU that got them DT has definitely mobilized their NIL going forward

They guy who was the main backer for DT to OSU is not an OK State fan or alum. He is a UCO alum. Just a wrestling fan who wants Oklahoma to be a stronger overall wrestling state. Apparently he pitched DT to OU last season. But his investment in OSU that got them DT has definitely mobilized their NIL going forward
Oh, I know the UCO deal, but hard to argue a guy putting 30-40 million into something doesn’t love it

Gotta be nice to have extra cash to use for things you love.

Tom can’t offer anything if he’s playing football. He is required to be on a football scholarship if he’s on the team. That used to be a way for football to have a larger team…by having track athletes get a track scholarship, soccer…you get the idea.

Tom can’t offer anything if he’s playing football. He is required to be on a football scholarship if he’s on the team. That used to be a way for football to have a larger team…by having track athletes get a track scholarship, soccer…you get the idea.
That's how the SEC had 250-lb tennis players running a 4.4 40.

Minor correction: a 2--sport athlete could walk onto both teams (like Jan Johnson initially did). But, yeah, if Brands gave Keuter anything at all, it would count as a full ride against Ferentz.

Reactions: hlstone
The guy who was the main backer for DT to OSU is not an OK State fan or alum. He is a UCO alum. Just a wrestling fan who wants Oklahoma to be a stronger overall wrestling state. Apparently he pitched DT to OU last season. But his investment in OSU that got them DT has definitely mobilized their NIL going forward
The backers wife is OSU grad and involved

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT