ADVERTISEMENT

David Taylor to Oklahoma State & related news

PSUs most popular wrestler will come in the future. Some kid eventually will be a 4xer, with 2 or 3 Hodge trophies and a career bonus rate over 90%. It's inevitable.

You have to admit David has been unequaled so far in bonus % and that is what drives excitement, and in turn to a great extent popularity. It also doesn't hurt that he was our first bonus superstar in the Cael age, moreso than Ruth, who never seems to get the respect he earned.

If Bo had been Cael's first 'stud', he might well have gone down as the most popular so far - only one unfortunate roll through from being a 4xer

Even Bo, Nolf and Zain all as 3xers couldn't achieve the level of bonus dominance DT achieved. Neither Carter nor AB were close to even that trio in terms of bonus percentage, so national championships alone don't translate necessarily to overall popularity.
Mitch is going to be quite popular to the younger generation.

You’re confusing quality with popularity. Neither AB nor Starocci are nearly as popular as DT and that’s a fact.
Carter will pass David in Instagram followers this year.
giphy.gif

P.S. Nobody is touching Yazdani. He's over 5X David.

Reactions: nerfstate
Not yet. As one metric: Carter already has over half of DT’s instagram followers, (AB about 10%). But neither have won an olympic gold, become a UFC star, defeated the darling of the worlds largest wrestling fanbase 6 times, or moved to and engaged a second large fanbase yet. Give it time, and I think this will prove to be a fallacy.
You beat me to it!

PSUs most popular wrestler will come in the future. Some kid eventually will be a 4xer, with 2 or 3 Hodge trophies and a career bonus rate over 90%. It's inevitable.

You have to admit David has been unequaled so far in bonus % and that is what drives excitement, and in turn to a great extent popularity. It also doesn't hurt that he was our first bonus superstar in the Cael age, moreso than Ruth, who never seems to get the respect he earned.

If Bo had been Cael's first 'stud', he might well have gone down as the most popular so far - only one unfortunate roll through from being a 4xer

Even Bo, Nolf and Zain all as 3xers couldn't achieve the level of bonus dominance DT achieved. Neither Carter nor AB were close to even that trio in terms of bonus percentage, so national championships alone don't translate necessarily to overall popularity.
Absolutely spot on.

This is beyond delusional. Fact is, Penn State fans love all three wrestlers. Carter and AB have done things DT never did. Likewise, DT has done things neither AB or CS have had the opportunity to do so. AB is now there. Carter was seriously injured. It will come for him in due time. To think either is jealous is historically funny.

You're talking about two, four time NCAA Champions, which DT never did. No one in this ridiculous scenario of yours has a reason to be jealous.
I didn't say they were jealous of his accomplishments. Just that he's more popular.

It's not worth dying on this hill. I think it's at least partially true for both, but particularly Starocci. There's no way to prove that, so we should stop arguing.

I will die on the hill that DT is more popular than both of them though because I stand for the TRUTH!!!

• Haha
Reactions: PASLP2
Js8793 is a die hard Iowa fan who lives on a Penn State board. He knows a thing or two about jealousy.
I appreciate what he brings to this board and he's earned 100% the benefit of the doubt that he isn't here just to stir up the pot. But he has also shown he has biases against AB and Carter which is his right as well but on this board, he should know they'll get vehemently defended especially when there is evidence contrary to what he's saying (AB doesn't remotely care about his popularity compared to DT and Carter's beef completely started because he has AB's back, nothing else)

I didn't say they were jealous of his accomplishments. Just that he's more popular.

It's not worth dying on this hill. I think it's at least partially true for both, but particularly Starocci. There's no way to prove that, so we should stop arguing.

I will die on the hill that DT is more popular than both of them though because I stand for the TRUTH!!!
Dude, get real. Your exact words were, "I personally believe it's jealousy." Your entire argument is based on on absolute bullsh&t, and no one cares, but you.

I appreciate what he brings to this board and he's earned 100% the benefit of the doubt that he isn't here just to stir up the pot. But he has also shown he has biases against AB and Carter which is his right as well but on this board, he should know they'll get vehemently defended especially when there is evidence contrary to what he's saying (AB doesn't remotely care about his popularity compared to DT and Carter's beef completely started because he has AB's back, nothing else)
Agreed, great poster who is very knowledgeable and will occasionally set his Hawk brethren straight. Just once in a while sees the need to set our collective thinking straight.

Reactions: js8793

Who called you a clown? I'm going to find that post and give it a like.

I think the average fan(whatever the hell that is) would say CS is the face of PSU wrestling. To us die-hards,is it possible to have more than one "face" to the program??

In my mind, James English,Nick Lee,and Bo are just as much "the face" of PSU wrestling as DT. What it all boils down to is "the face" has many opinions and perceptions. That doesn't make mine correct and yours wrong or vice- versa.
I agree. Bo Nickal is just as popular as DT ever was. Most kids would name Nickal before DT. Maybe not in PA but nationwide Bo Nickal was the man for five years at PSU. Not to mention most kids I talk to about wrestling me tion Nolf before anyone else he will make a great coach someday

@Pennstate1985 drug me over here lol. A lot of good convos around here. I promise not to cause trouble
Welcome! I have always rooted for your Cowboys, as long as they weren’t wrestling PSU guys. Rivals of the Hawks is a good reason to like Oklahoma State 😉
My mother’s family was from Clinton OK originally. Their family farm, where grandmother and 10 of her siblings were born and raised, was just demolished by tornadoes a month or so ago. No one still lived in the house, but it took the barn and all the outbuildings as well.

https://share.icloud.com/photos/00bAvszaH3DkxXji0qnTFIrEg

Last edited:
Like a rivals intro or do I need to spill the beans on my whole life lol
Whatever you think is relevant - especially with regards to wrestling. FYI - I have a good friend who was a former big star on the OSU team in the early 70's. Haven't heard from him for a while so I hope he is OK.

I turned 37 yesterday. I'm follower of Christ. I'm a born and raised Oklahoma boy that has spent quite a bit of time in Texas as well. I wrestled and played football in high school. I'm a 3rd gen OSU alum. I was lucky enough to meet my wife at OSU so I don't have to worry about a house divided. We have 3 kids now who all wrestle (1 girl and two boys). I am a Sales Agronomist for an industry leading aerial application company. I specialize in cotton, wheat, grain sorghum and rangeland.

Sports wise I love OSU wrestling and football but I'm an old man about NIL/transfer portal stuff so football is starting to kill me. I was in high school during the last OSU national championship run so it got in deep. I'm a season ticket holder for OSU wrestling and the kids spend every moment behind the couch yelling out which OSU wrestler they are before going at it for hours (other than when the 7 year old turns into Mesenbrink)

I have nothing but bad things to say about all thing OU (and Iowa isn't far behind). I like PSU other than the fact that you've turned into the yankees and no one likes people who win too much. I love the way Cael has done it but I really want to knock you guys off.

Last edited:
I turned 37 yesterday. I'm follower of Christ. I'm a born and raised Oklahoma boy that has spent quite a bit of time in Texas as well. I wrestled and played football in high school. I'm a a 3rd gen OSU alum. I was lucky enough to meet my wife at OSU so I don't have to worry about a house divided. We have 3 kids now who all wrestle (1 girl and two boys). I am a Sales Agronomist for an industry leading aerial application company. I specializes in cotton, wheat, grain sorghum and rangeland.

Sports wise I love OSU wrestling and football but I'm an old man about NIL/transfer portal stuff so football is starting to kill me. I was in high school during the last OSU national championship run so it got in deep. I'm a season ticket holder for OSU wrestling and the kids spend every moment behind the couch yelling out which OSU wrestler they are before going at it for hours (other than when the 7 year old turns into Mesenbrink)

I have nothing but bad things to say about all thing OU (and Iowa isn't far behind). I like PSU other than the fact that you've turned into the yankees and no one likes people who win too much. I love the way Cael has done it but I really want to knock you guys off.
Welcome to the jungle!! Good to meet ya

Reactions: AtownPoke
I turned 37 yesterday. I'm follower of Christ. I'm a born and raised Oklahoma boy that has spent quite a bit of time in Texas as well. I wrestled and played football in high school. I'm a 3rd gen OSU alum. I was lucky enough to meet my wife at OSU so I don't have to worry about a house divided. We have 3 kids now who all wrestle (1 girl and two boys). I am a Sales Agronomist for an industry leading aerial application company. I specialize in cotton, wheat, grain sorghum and rangeland.

Always nice to get to get perspective from outside the family. I hope you and yours avoid the nasty storms that come across the state.

I mean, this was the main point of my post. That PSU fans are always going to defend PSU guys and DT isn't a PSU guy anymore.

I will concede the jealousy thing. It was a throw away comment at the end of a larger post. I really didn't think too much about it and didn't expect everybody to get so upset about it. I was just spit-balling on why these two guys dislike DT. I think it would be annoying to be as good as AB and Starocci are and still not be the BMOC, but that's total speculation. I mean AB clearly thinks he's the best in the world and DT was out doing Olympic promos like he was already on the team. How does that not irk him?

I'm not dying on that hill though. It's really not a big deal.

Reactions: PSUer1989
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT