ADVERTISEMENT

David Taylor to Oklahoma State & related news

Js8793 is a die hard Iowa fan who lives on a Penn State board. He knows a thing or two about jealousy.
youre right GIF

I turned 37 yesterday. I'm follower of Christ. I'm a born and raised Oklahoma boy that has spent quite a bit of time in Texas as well. I wrestled and played football in high school. I'm a 3rd gen OSU alum. I was lucky enough to meet my wife at OSU so I don't have to worry about a house divided. We have 3 kids now who all wrestle (1 girl and two boys). I am a Sales Agronomist for an industry leading aerial application company. I specialize in cotton, wheat, grain sorghum and rangeland.

Sports wise I love OSU wrestling and football but I'm an old man about NIL/transfer portal stuff so football is starting to kill me. I was in high school during the last OSU national championship run so it got in deep. I'm a season ticket holder for OSU wrestling and the kids spend every moment behind the couch yelling out which OSU wrestler they are before going at it for hours (other than when the 7 year old turns into Mesenbrink)

I have nothing but bad things to say about all thing OU (and Iowa isn't far behind). I like PSU other than the fact that you've turned into the yankees and no one likes people who win too much. I love the way Cael has done it but I really want to knock you guys off.
Welcome…Were you happy about the DT hire?

I turned 37 yesterday. I'm follower of Christ. I'm a born and raised Oklahoma boy that has spent quite a bit of time in Texas as well. I wrestled and played football in high school. I'm a 3rd gen OSU alum. I was lucky enough to meet my wife at OSU so I don't have to worry about a house divided. We have 3 kids now who all wrestle (1 girl and two boys). I am a Sales Agronomist for an industry leading aerial application company. I specialize in cotton, wheat, grain sorghum and rangeland.

Sports wise I love OSU wrestling and football but I'm an old man about NIL/transfer portal stuff so football is starting to kill me. I was in high school during the last OSU national championship run so it got in deep. I'm a season ticket holder for OSU wrestling and the kids spend every moment behind the couch yelling out which OSU wrestler they are before going at it for hours (other than when the 7 year old turns into Mesenbrink)

I have nothing but bad things to say about all thing OU (and Iowa isn't far behind). I like PSU other than the fact that you've turned into the yankees and no one likes people who win too much. I love the way Cael has done it but I really want to knock you guys off.
LittleTownPoke’s fascination with MM is too cool. Wishing your Cowboys all the best chasing our damn Yankees. I think you roped the best horse to help get you there. ;)

The Sandlot Shrug GIF

LittleTownPoke’s fascination with MM is too cool. Wishing your Cowboys all the best chasing our damn Yankees. I think you roped the best horse to help get you there. ;)
We decided to watch the PSU vs Michigan dual and I tee’d up the 165 match. I told him all about Amine, and about MM being a super talented young gun…(Not knowing what was about to happen.)

Since then he has asked to rewatch the amine match about 20 times. He couldn’t get over how he just mentally broke Amine to the point of almost getting DQ’d. Then we had to watch every match at NCAA’s.

I haven’t had the heart to tell him that Amine is a Cowboy now lol.

Last edited:
We decided to watch the PSU vs Michigan dual and I tee’d up the 165 match. I told him all about Amine, and about MM being a super talented young gun…(Not knowing what was about to happen.)

Since then he has asked to rewatch the amine match about 20 times. He couldn’t get over how he just mentally broke Amine to the point of almost getting DQ’d. Then we had to watch every match at NCAA’s.

Welcome to the PSU board. We're certainly interested in hearing your perspective on things once DT gets the OSU program moving in whatever direction he decides to take it.

More impressive...he broke Mike Amine.

You guys are going to love Atown - one of the best posters on the OSU site. knows his stuff and pretty level-headed.

Thought I heard Amine was sick for the dual. He certainly competed much better in their NCAA rematch and looks like a solid pickup for OSU. I’m with your 7-year-old boy, though. MM is crazy fun to watch, with the seeming non-stop energy of, well . . . a 7-year-old.

Reactions: AtownPoke
What happens when we win one that Cael did want?
The question there is, does that happen? In 2010 he let Tom have a 3rd in row as Cael got his dynasty in order. In 2015 Cael wrestled with winning a 5th in a row or lining things up for another run and so he came up with a plan to let Ohio State have one just so he could continue to torment the twins and then real off another large grouping of championships.

The only one I think did not go to plan was 2021. 4 champs was supposed to win it, but when they came up one 4th place finisher short he went out and put together a team that has won 3 in a row and the last one by 100 points. You know, don't ever let it come down to a missing 4th place finisher ever again. Almost like Bruce Banner telling the bad guy you won't like me if I get mad. So, to answer your question wouldn't it be better if we wait for Cael to decide DT needs to win one as opposed to having the college wrestling world having to deal with Bruce Banner losing another one he hadn't planned on and going all Hulk on the college wrestling world again.

Last edited:
Paul Harvey this thing. I want the rest of the story
@86PSUPaul @hlstone and I were in Michigan for that match. Mike always sits mat side and is usually all over the place ala Terry Brands. He started out doing his usual histrionics literally on the mat's edge. As the match went on, he wound down as fast as Cam. By the third period he wasn't even in his seat. Completely broken.

@86PSUPaul @hlstone and I were in Michigan for that match. Mike always sits mat side and is usually all over the place ala Terry Brands. He started out doing his usual histrionics literally on the mat's edge. As the match went on, he wound down as fast as Cam. By the third period he wasn't even in his seat. Completely broken.
He also got real quiet a few years earlier, when Zain took away Malik's manhood with that half.

PSUs most popular wrestler will come in the future. Some kid eventually will be a 4xer, with 2 or 3 Hodge trophies and a career bonus rate over 90%. It's inevitable.

You have to admit David has been unequaled so far in bonus % and that is what drives excitement, and in turn to a great extent popularity. It also doesn't hurt that he was our first bonus superstar in the Cael age, moreso than Ruth, who never seems to get the respect he earned.

If Bo had been Cael's first 'stud', he might well have gone down as the most popular so far - only one unfortunate roll through from being a 4xer

Even Bo, Nolf and Zain all as 3xers couldn't achieve the level of bonus dominance DT achieved. Neither Carter nor AB were close to even that trio in terms of bonus percentage, so national championships alone don't translate necessarily to overall popularity.
You have to define what you mean by dominance:

WinsLoseswin %FallsTFMDTotal BonusBonus %
Taylor
134​
3​
97.81%​
53​
42​
30​
125​
93.28%​
Retherford
126​
3​
97.67%​
53​
22​
20​
95​
75.40%​
Nolf
117​
3​
97.50%​
60​
27​
16​
103​
88.03%​
Nickal
120​
3​
97.56%​
59​
12​
23​
94​
78.33%​
Ruth
136​
3​
97.84%​
46​
25​
33​
104​
76.47%​
Starocci
78​
4​
95.12%​
12​
15​
16​
43​
55.13%​
Brooks
89​
3​
96.74%​
16​
20​
24​
60​
67.42%​

Dominance bonus %? its Taylor. Looking for win %? Ruth. Looking for falls? Nolf.

I'm gonna guess Mitch is going to be a huge part of PSU wrestling long after he's out of college. After this season, his popularity with young kids is going to explode more than it already has. When we got Mitch, I don't think any of us realized what it all really meant. We still don't but we will. Mitch is going to be to Penn State what Iowa fans erroneously thought Spencer would be for Iowa. If you feel the need to have someone other than Cael to be your face of the program, Mitch is THE guy. Now just sit back and take it all in. It's gonna be amazing.

Last edited:
I'm gonna guess Mitch is going to be a huge part of PSU wrestling long after he's out of college. After this season, his popularity with young kids is going to explode more than it already has. When we got Mitch, I don't think any of us realized what it all really meant. We still don't but we will. Mitch is going to be to Penn State what Iowa fans erroneously thought Spencer would be for Iowa. If you feel the need to have someone other than Cael to be your face of the program, Mitch is THE guy. Now just sit back and take it all in. It's gonna be amazing.
What does this even mean?

As for MM, I agree he's going to be a huge star. He wrestles in a truly unique and exhilarating way. Those are the guys that draw attention.

What does this even mean?

As for MM, I agree he's going to be a huge star. He wrestles in a truly unique and exhilarating way. Those are the guys that draw attention.
What part you talking about? Spencer Lee? What...you don't remember me bickering with you guys that Spencer isn't as likeable as you all think he is? I started telling you that when he was a freshman for crying out loud. You telling me you don't remember me warning ya'll that he's not gonna open up the PA pipeline that you think he is? That others aren't gonna flock to Iowa because of him. That he's not the draw for those around him that you think he is? You should, you all called me crazy and an idiot for even thinking it. You won't admit it JS but you're dissapointed in the Hawkeyes recruiting since Spencer has been there....it's not what you all predicted.

As for MM, I'm not saying anything special when it comes to him. Anyone with a brain can see he is the sports next super star. Aside from being likeable and a style that will probably top David Taylor's when all is said and done, he a beast in free and folk and imo ahead of Taylor at the same age especially in free. I'm this close to predicting an almost almost 100 percent bonus rate this season. Undefeated and will be everyone's pick to win the Hodge even if he is passed over. All I'm saying is barring injury of course but after next March, he will be considered the absolute best wrestler in college wrestling. And let's not argue it cuz I know you'll want to. We can do it next March when it all shakes out .

Last edited:
We're to the "it's slow news time, let's talk about Spencer Lee" portion of the offseason. I thought you knew how things work around here?
Good. Now argue with what I had to say about him. Those guys made him the Savior of their program. I told them years ago that it wasn't going to play out that way. You seeing something I ain't seeing? If so, let's hear it...

Reactions: danoftw
I'm this close to predicting an almost almost 100 percent bonus rate this season. Undefeated and will be everyone's pick to win the Hodge even if he is passed over. All I'm saying is barring injury of course but after next March, he will be considered the absolute best wrestler in college wrestling. And let's not argue it cuz I know you'll want to. We can do it next March when it all shakes out .
Absolutely agreed that he's a special wrestler.

But there will be 5 reasons he won't be anybody's Hodge pick, and all 5 reasons are Carter.

Reactions: hlstone
Absolutely agreed that he's a special wrestler.

But there will be 5 reasons he won't be anybody's Hodge pick, and all 5 reasons are Carter.
The one match he might not bonus someone is the match he gets the week after they physically stress him and tell him to go out there dominate somebody pretty good while exhausted.

Reactions: johnstownsteel

Taylor
134​
3​
97.81%​
53​
42​
30​
125​
93.28%​
Retherford
126​
3​
97.67%​
53​
22​
20​
95​
75.40%​
Nolf
117​
3​
97.50%​
60​
27​
16​
103​
88.03%​
Nickal
120​
3​
97.56%​
59​
12​
23​
94​
78.33%​
Ruth
136​
3​
97.84%​
46​
25​
33​
104​
76.47%​
Starocci
78​
4​
95.12%​
12​
15​
16​
43​
55.13%​
Brooks
89​
3​
96.74%​
16​
20​
24​
60​
67.42%​

Dominance bonus %? its Taylor. Looking for win %? Ruth. Looking for falls? Nolf.
Domaince, how about 4 National Titles, Starocci and Brooks end of discussion.

Taylor
134​
3​
97.81%​
53​
42​
30​
125​
93.28%​
Retherford
126​
3​
97.67%​
53​
22​
20​
95​
75.40%​
Nolf
117​
3​
97.50%​
60​
27​
16​
103​
88.03%​
Nickal
120​
3​
97.56%​
59​
12​
23​
94​
78.33%​
Ruth
136​
3​
97.84%​
46​
25​
33​
104​
76.47%​
Starocci
78​
4​
95.12%​
12​
15​
16​
43​
55.13%​
Brooks
89​
3​
96.74%​
16​
20​
24​
60​
67.42%​

And Cenzo doesn’t even make the list, oye 😳

Taylor
134​
3​
97.81%​
53​
42​
30​
125​
93.28%​
Retherford
126​
3​
97.67%​
53​
22​
20​
95​
75.40%​
Nolf
117​
3​
97.50%​
60​
27​
16​
103​
88.03%​
Nickal
120​
3​
97.56%​
59​
12​
23​
94​
78.33%​
Ruth
136​
3​
97.84%​
46​
25​
33​
104​
76.47%​
Starocci
78​
4​
95.12%​
12​
15​
16​
43​
55.13%​
Brooks
89​
3​
96.74%​
16​
20​
24​
60​
67.42%​

Yep, defined many times in other posts. For me dominance is best illustrated by career bonus if you have to use a single statistic. Fans love pins, Techs and majors, all a result of aggression and action. This is where despite the 4x both Carter and Aaron lag and explains much of the popularity of all the guys higher on the list including DT.

PS - then we have Cael, unreal dominance.

Reactions: AtownPoke
I was at the MI meet when Amine broke. I was giving him a good verbal drubbing and a fell behind me.started giving me the business. it was Amine's HS coach.
A touchy group they are. An Amine (I wont say which one) reached out to me on X asking why the low blow towards Cam. I think it was about me joking that Mark and Kelly Rippas kid was beating Cam in room and necessitated his transfer. Lol. I was like dude, every fan of college wrestling knows that's not happening. IT WAS A JOKE MY MAN! LOL

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT