ADVERTISEMENT

David Taylor to Oklahoma State & related news

‘25 I assume?
I'd probably assume 2026 just based on the 1volume and specific 84/197 NJ/PA names not yet on any campus, who aren't committed to PSU.

2024:
- Lou Cerchio (NJ) -- Cornell
- Shawn Taylor (W. Allegheny) -- West Virginia (more of a 174?)
- Tucker Hogan (Daniel Boone) -- Lock Haven
- Cole Bartram (Northern York) -- Lock Haven

2025:
- Harvey Ludington (NJ) -- Arizona State
- Rocco Dellagatta (NJ) -- Cornell
- Anthony Harris (NJ) -- Oklahoma

2026:
- Jayden James (NJ) - 174?
- Joey Canova (NJ) - 174?
- Adam Waters (Faith Christian Academy)
- Kage Jones (NJ)
- Cael Weidemoyer (Hill School)
- Nevin Mattessich (NJ)
- Luke Fugazzotto (Northwestern Lehigh)

Cerchio, Ludington, James, Canova, Waters, Jones, and Weidermoyer are all top 25 in their classes.

I don't believe any have trained with M2 (or at least have consistently). Bartram is the only one within 2.5 hrs of State College and is with Team Shutt.

Waters probably makes the most sense out of this group.

Happy Jeff Goldblum GIF by Apartments.com

I could really go for a Ramirez, Blaze, Robideau, Routledge, Dee, Burton and Correa finish lol

Reactions: DPJ
Correa IMO is a lesser version of Cody Merrill. A kid who has to uncomfortably suck down to 197. Not sure either is an effective heavy due to build. I think Mocco Jr has a way higher ceiling though he’s not as polished, that’s what coaching is for!

Correa IMO is a lesser version of Cody Merrill. A kid who has to uncomfortably suck down to 197. Not sure either is an effective heavy due to build. I think Mocco Jr has a way higher ceiling though he’s not as polished, that’s what coaching is for!
I agree. You always take talent when you can get it and Correa is most definitely talented but him and Merrill are fairly redundant. Seems like only 1 would see the lineup. I wonder if Correa sees himself as a heavy? With Sahakian changing his commitment to Michigan maybe that’s why Correa decides to look elsewhere

Reactions: AtownPoke
okiest also has the best S&C coach in the business. Cowboy Bulk Job baby!

Reactions: DPJ and AtownPoke
I agree. You always take talent when you can get it and Correa is most definitely talented but him and Merrill are fairly redundant. Seems like only 1 would see the lineup. I wonder if Correa sees himself as a heavy? With Sahakian changing his commitment to Michigan maybe that’s why Correa decides to look elsewhere

This. He told coaches when he was being recruited that he wants to a be a college heavy.

Reactions: DPJ and AtownPoke
Call me crazy, but I don’t see Oklahoma State as a program that packs on weight to wrestlers. If anything, I think the reputation is the exact opposite. Maybe DT can change that, but Oklahoma State is famous for having guys cut huge amounts of weight compared to other colleges. I’ll take Penn State’s strength and conditioning program as the best in the business.

Call me crazy, but I don’t see Oklahoma State as a program that packs on weight to wrestlers. If anything, I think the reputation is the exact opposite. Maybe DT can change that, but Oklahoma State is famous for having guys cut huge amounts of weight compared to other colleges. I’ll take Penn State’s strength and conditioning program as the best in the business.
I'm pretty sure that one BIG change that DT will bring to the program is how they do weight management. I have a huge amount of respect for John Smith, but I think his weight management approach was pretty old school. DT found out the hard way that excessive cutting can take its toll, so he went up rather than cut down. Let's see what he decides for his wrestlers.

What is Jude’s frame compared to Merrill? I know Cody is only 5’9 or so. HWT would’ve been tough for him.

I was thinking Jude was bigger.

If we have the time we need a kid to RS and sit behind Hendrickson this year. That would give Calgano a year to work on him if he’s big enough

Yeah that’s not the deal anymore as far as what we’re hearing. We’re going to grow quite a few kids into what we want them to be frame wise

Reactions: DPJ and mjmirv
My thoughts exactly on Mocco. He is my pick for who DT targets.

Reactions: AtownPoke
My thoughts exactly on Mocco. He is my pick for who DT targets.
Don’t get me wrong I’m excited about the thought of having the Mocco Legacy on the team. I just hate to have to rely on him as a tr fr or take another transfer. It’d be nice to start prepping alittle. I think DT will do something

This is gonna sound even crazier: new coaches install their own S&C philosophies.

Such as, for example: O'Brien immediately scrapping Joe's HIIT regimen.

I'm pretty sure that one BIG change that DT will bring to the program is how they do weight management. I have a huge amount of respect for John Smith, but I think his weight management approach was pretty old school. DT found out the hard way that excessive cutting can take its toll, so he went up rather than cut down. Let's see what he decides for his wrestlers.

While absolutely over-cut the entire team, he/Calcagno put muscle on guys better than anyone else.

And when guys did bump up? They always did it well. Oliver, Boyd, JoJo, Weigel, Crutchmer, Ringer. And overall, the "look" of their bodies was always impressive. And Calcagno is a crazy man. I remember an interview he gave where guys would complain how sore they were after practice the day before - and he would say "good" - this lift will get the soreness out of you. LOL. Utter cary-talk, pyscho nonsense.

While absolutely over-cut the entire team, he/Calcagno put muscle on guys better than anyone else.

And when guys did bump up? They always did it well. Oliver, Boyd, JoJo, Weigel, Crutchmer, Ringer. And overall, the "look" of their bodies was always impressive. And Calcagno is a crazy man. I remember an interview he gave where guys would complain how sore they were after practice the day before - and he would say "good" - this lift will get the soreness out of you. LOL. Utter cary-talk, pyscho nonsense.
But they love him

Reactions: vhsalum
Pistols Firing with some details of DT's salary: https://pistolsfiringblog.com/osu-wrestling-details-of-david-taylors-contract-released/

Year 1 (2024-25): $1,000,000
Year 2 (2025-26): $1,030,000
Year 3 (2026-27): $1,060,000
Year 4 (2027-28): $1,090,000
Year 5 (2028-29): $1,120,000
Year 6 (2029-30): $1,150,000

On top of the salary, Taylor will also have the opportunity for performance incentive bonuses. Those include $125,000 for an NCAA championship, $80,000 for a runner-up finish, $60,000 for a third-place finish and $10,000 for every individual NCAA champion. He will also get a one-time payment of $1 million.

Wonder how Iowa fans feel seeing that knowing DT could have been their coach for what is allegedly their NIL budget for 2 wrestlers.
You know the old saying about how the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again but expecting different results. That’s how rabid Iowa fans feel about their program. They think that if TnT just keep doing the same things they are doing now, eventually Iowa will return to the top of the podium. Hence they have no regrets about DT going to Ok State. They think they already have the winning formula in place.

Nothing wrong with three layers of quality at every weight. Other teams can’t make ice cream if we have all the cream.
Complete non-fan post.

I'm pretty ok with all my teams crushing everybody all the time, whether that be PSU, the Eagles, Phils, Sixers, CR South, etc.

Cael's been the only one to get close to doing it and you want that to change?

You know the old saying about how the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again but expecting different results. That’s how rabid Iowa fans feel about their program. They think that if TnT just keep doing the same things they are doing now, eventually Iowa will return to the top of the podium. Hence they have no regrets about DT going to Ok State. They think they already have the winning formula in place.
I have to admit I believe they are close to figuring it out. They have realized they can't coach up champions so they are actively recruiting other school's wrestling rooms looking to purchase multiple transfers hoping for a couple champions. They are going to soon realize they need to be more aggressive recruiting Lorenzo room athletes if they want champions.

We should all expect to soon see in Centre County real estate transfers Bob Nicholls' name as the purchaser of multi-tenant properties and Bobby Telford's name on Centre County voter registration records. I suspect Bobby will have multiple bags full of Nicholls' dollars as he stands in the Lorenzo hallway wearing sunglasses for a disguise asking everybody wearing wrestling shoes if they would like a bag and a meeting with Tom.

• Haha
Reactions: vhsalum
Complete non-fan post.

I'm pretty ok with all my teams crushing everybody all the time, whether that be PSU, the Eagles, Phils, Sixers, CR South, etc.

Cael's been the only one to get close to doing it and you want that to change?
Clown post. Go back and see what I was replying to lol.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT