ADVERTISEMENT

David Taylor to Oklahoma State & related news

Iowa = vegan "ice cream."
No Way Do Not Want GIF by MOODMAN

I have to admit I believe they are close to figuring it out. They have realized they can't coach up champions so they are actively recruiting other school's wrestling rooms looking to purchase multiple transfers hoping for a couple champions. They are going to soon realize they need to be more aggressive recruiting Lorenzo room athletes if they want champions.

We should all expect to soon see in Centre County real estate transfers Bob Nicholls' name as the purchaser of multi-tenant properties and Bobby Telford's name on Centre County voter registration records. I suspect Bobby will have multiple bags full of Nicholls' dollars as he stands in the Lorenzo hallway wearing sunglasses for a disguise asking everybody wearing wrestling shoes if they would like a bag and a meeting with Tom.
That might sound like a winning strategy, but unfortunately it has a fatal flaw. No matter how good a wrestler is, they can’t score points if they aren’t healthy enough to wrestle. Time after time, we’ve watched wrestlers with good potential go downhill due to TnT’s brutal and physically devastating training practices. There’s no reason to expect anything different regardless of who they buy.

Complete non-fan post.

I'm pretty ok with all my teams crushing everybody all the time, whether that be PSU, the Eagles, Phils, Sixers, CR South, etc.

Cael's been the only one to get close to doing it and you want that to change?
Yup. I keep seeing posts all over other sites about “ending” Penn State and sending us back to irrelevance. Imagine how insufferable Cormier, Crutchmer and other members of the Midwest Mafia will become once they have something to crow about again.

They have 34 (and Iowa 24) because Penn State didn’t really give a shit for decades - Cael has been righting a wrong.

Yup. I keep seeing posts all over other sites about “ending” Penn State and sending us back to irrelevance. Imagine how insufferable Cormier, Crutchmer and other members of the Midwest Mafia will become once they have something to crow about again.

They have 34 (and Iowa 24) because Penn State didn’t really give a shit for decades - Cael has been righting a wrong.
We invented folkstyle wrestling and every coach who’s ever worn the orange (DT excluded) has won at least one NC… saying that you only lost because “you didn’t really give a shit” is extremely laughable. You’re winning at the level you are now because of Cael… simple as that.

We invented folkstyle wrestling and every coach who’s ever worn the orange (DT excluded) has won at least one NC… saying that you only lost because “you didn’t really give a shit” is extremely laughable. You’re winning at the level you are now because of Cael… simple as that.
And keeping most of our home grown talent in state. No better high school wrestling then right here in PA.

100% agree with that but it goes back to Cael building that fence
I’m attacking Penn State admins for not really giving a shit - it took Cael to reach out to PSU - not the other way around.

If he had been proactive earlier, we’d have kept way more Pa studs that went off to Ok State, Iowa, but even places like Bloomsburg, Clarion, Lehigh, etc, etc. They’re were legends that used to routinely go to tiny Pa colleges rather than Penn State. Not laughable at all that we’d have siphoned off more titles than just 1953 pre Cael.

I’m attacking Penn State admins for not really giving a shit - it took Cael to reach out to PSU - not the other way around.

If he had been proactive earlier, we’d have kept way more Pa studs that went off to Ok State, Iowa, but even places like Bloomsburg, Clarion, Lehigh, etc, etc. They’re were legends that used to routinely go to tiny Pa colleges rather than Penn State. Not laughable at all that we’d have siphoned off more titles than just 1953 pre Cael.
Iowa could say the same thing in the middle of the Gable run imo. It gets pretty easy to think it’s all inevitable when you’re on a historic run.

You need to go back and read what he wrote.

Iowa could say the same thing in the middle of the Gable run imo. It gets pretty easy to think it’s all inevitable when you’re on a historic run.
Iowa high school wrestling is insanely overrated compared to Pa. Pennsylvania wrestling is like taking 2 out of 3 of CA, Fla, and Tx when it comes to football. That’s how much talent the state pumps out. For example, Pa decided to send an “A” team out to Fargo this year - even despite leaving some world teamers behind - and absolutely curb stomped the other states in freestyle. That would happen more often than not if the Pa wrestling establishment made Fargo a priority every year like it does the big eastern tournaments.

And it’s not just Pa - we are surrounded by 2 or 3 of the other top 6-7 states in NY, OH and NJ.

Now that Cael shows what can be done , any half competent admin will make sure we don’t fade into irrelevance. Like I said, there’s people that truly believe (hope more like it) that will happen when Cael hangs it up. I’m just saying - not so fast. I don’t think we’ll continue to be the insane juggernaut we have been, but the days of finishing 17th at Nationals and being plucky contenders every 4-5 years or so are over

Iowa high school wrestling is insanely overrated compared to Pa. Pennsylvania wrestling is like taking 2 out of 3 of CA, Fla, and Tx when it comes to football. That’s how much talent the state pumps out. For example, Pa decided to send an “A” team out to Fargo this year - even despite leaving some world teamers behind - and absolutely curb stomped the other states in freestyle. That would happen more often than not if the Pa wrestling establishment made Fargo a priority every year like it does the big eastern tournaments.

And it’s not just Pa - we are surrounded by 2 or 3 of the other top 6-7 states in NY, OH and NJ.

Now that Cael shows what can be done , any half competent admin will make sure we don’t fade into irrelevance. Like I said, there’s people that truly believe (hope more like it) that will happen when Cael hangs it up. I’m just saying - not so fast. I don’t think we’ll continue to be the insane juggernaut we have been, but the days of finishing 17th at Nationals and being plucky contenders every 4-5 years or so are over
I can't wait for the Iowa guy to show you per capita numbers of AA/NC. It's coming..

Then PA people respond with population density and wrestling participation in the City of Pittsburgh and Philadelphia.

And then people to argue about which area is more rich in talent and tradition in Pennsylvania.

Usually 6-7 messages deep and El Jefe dusts off the old stats.

Some summer chatter, is anyone going to Paris by chance?

You're probably unaware of this, since you're newer here: when Cael was hired, the alumni base wasn't focused on winning national titles -- it was focused on winning the in-state "rivalry" with Lehigh and being competitive in duals with Iowa, OKST, etc.

In that first year, an alum asked Cael about Lehigh -- that's what the alums cared about. He responded: "I didn't come here to beat Lehigh."

So when people say PSU "didn't really give a shit about winning national titles," they are right. PSU was for decades happy with an occasional 3rd place and thinking we were competitive, while having no clue what "being competitive" really meant. We owe a debt of gratitude to Rich Lorenzo for recognizing this and retiring from coaching in his prime in order to solve the problem institutionally, which put PSU in a position to hire Cael many years later.

BTW, Ohio State was in the same bucket before they hired Ryan.

You're probably unaware of this, since you're newer here: when Cael was hired, the alumni base wasn't focused on winning national titles -- it was focused on winning the in-state "rivalry" with Lehigh and being competitive in duals with Iowa, OKST, etc.

In that first year, an alum asked Cael about Lehigh -- that's what the alums cared about. He responded: "I didn't come here to beat Lehigh."

So when people say PSU "didn't really give a shit about winning national titles," they are right. PSU was for decades happy with an occasional 3rd place and thinking we were competitive, while having no clue what "being competitive" really meant. We owe a debt of gratitude to Rich Lorenzo for recognizing this and retiring from coaching in his prime in order to solve the problem institutionally, which put PSU in a position to hire Cael many years later.

BTW, Ohio State was in the same bucket before they hired Ryan.
This is yalls board so im not trying to be a problem. I probably came off alittle strong before… I just think it’s easy to say once you get it going. People and programs always want to be great, they just don’t know how so expectations are tempered while they figure it out. It comes down to special people and timing. Those types of people can completely change landscapes and stated expectations. From there, a rising tide lifts all boats

This is yalls board so im not trying to be a problem. I probably came off alittle strong before… I just think it’s easy to say once you get it going. People and programs always want to be great, they just don’t know how so expectations are tempered while they figure it out. It comes down to special people and timing. Those types of people can completely change landscapes and stated expectations. From there, a rising tide lifts all boats
No offense taken. Just didn't expect you to know the culture around PSU Wrestling. Or for that matter, PSU's self-imposed institutional sclerosis which resembled the stuffy country club members in Caddyshack.

Another example: our university president publicly said PSU would pay Joe Paterno's eventual successor below market salary "for the privilege of working at Penn State." Lol, what an arrogant and needlessly limiting thing to say. But that's PSU.

The fact PA was so loaded with talent and kids chose smaller schools in PA shows coaching credibility is everything. To that point, @AtownPoke is 100% right. Similarly PSU’s lack of history made us just any other school (nobody cared it was the big school) Cael has elevated this program to a level that has now made it one that must be treated like a blue blood where number 1 is the only standard when he inevitably hangs it up one day.

However, PSU admin not giving two s***s about wrestling is also accurate beyond just the results, I think the most tell tale sign is Cael had to do all the legwork to get here and we STILL almost botched it if Ira didn’t get involved.

Credit Stalemates show for a good 10 minute summary but Cael eyed the PSU job when rumors swirled Sunderland was in his last year. Curley was iffy and rather than seeing how lucky he was rejected a chance to interview him even since he viewed PSU as “beneath” Cael and he just wanted a bartering chip with Iowa State. He had to call a second time after the school already hired Rob Koll basically and Curley almost declined it because he didn’t like the price tag (mostly related to what he wanted to pay Cody and Casey to ensure they stayed forever) and it took Ira saying he’ll cut the check and just make the hire already.

You guys should come over to 34 with @Pennstate1985. I will admit though that our older crew is alittle touchier than yall unfortunately… but fortunately I’m one of the mods so yall will be fine.
I read the posts there, usually I stick on home boards only but you have piqued my interest!

Also, the posts there to be honest are relatively tame for a message board (compared to let's say .... another board I won't mention) so calling the crew "touchier" shows you have a high standard for class, well done!

You guys should come over to 34 with @Pennstate1985. I will admit though that our older crew is alittle touchier than yall unfortunately… but fortunately I’m one of the mods so yall will be fine.
I’ll have to drop in there for a visit. Your older folk might appreciate that I’ve been friends with Darrell Keller for a long time. He and his twin brother were big stars at Ok State in the late 60’s and early 70’s.

Reactions: DPJ and AtownPoke
Also, the posts there to be honest are relatively tame for a message board (compared to let's say .... another board I won't mention) so calling the crew "touchier" shows you have a high standard for class, well done!

No idea what other board you're talking about as this is the only one I frequent. But I have heard you need to be armed with a good supply of hand sanitizer before visiting certain wrestling boards to clean off the ick afterward.
dfm_30296_1__92037.1681068087.jpg

Well the vibe over there is that of old men drinking coffee at the local breakfast joint. Informed discussion, and polite back and forth is the norm. They don’t like trouble and they don’t like mouthy outsiders but 85 and VHSAlum have done a great job of fitting in and driving some good discussion over there. They’ve been received well.

I just think the board needs alittle more action and you guys would fit in well.

It's good having outside opinions. You will learn a little about PA wrestling and hopefully we will learn a little about Oklahoma wrestling. One thing you need to understand from the start is at the highschool level its States not State.

Well the vibe over there is that of old men drinking coffee at the local breakfast joint. Informed discussion, and polite back and forth is the norm. They don’t like trouble and they don’t like mouthy outsiders but 85 and VHSAlum have done a great job of fitting in and driving some good discussion over there. They’ve been received well.

I just think the board needs alittle more action and you guys would fit in well.
Keep a side eye on vhs. Comical dustup on the Hawk site about him claiming to wrestle for Brands and with Metcalf, when he didn’t. Can’t tell if it was all in fun on his part (could’ve been). In my short time, I’ve found his posts insightful.
Don’t sweat giving an opinion that causes blowback. Debate is always more interesting than head-nodding, and Cael’s juggernaut only makes us full of ourselves. I’m humble (but ecstatic) about Lion success because I had no part in it. Others here will strut and crow, as if they did. Most is just in fun . . . but, hey, I still want the triplets (Bo, Jax, Blaze) in blue and white, not creamsicle. ;)

Last edited:
Keep a side eye on vhs. Comical dustup on the Hawk site about him claiming to wrestle for Brands and with Metcalf, when he didn’t. Can’t tell if it was all in fun on his part (could’ve been). In my short time, I’ve found his posts insightful.
Don’t sweat giving an opinion that causes blowback. Debate is always more interesting than head-nodding, and Cael’s juggernaut only makes us full of ourselves. I’m humble (but ecstatic) about Lion success because I had no part in it. Others here will strut and crow, as if they did. Most is just in fun . . . but, hey, I still want the triplets (Bo, Jax, Blaze) in blue and white, not creamsicle. ;)

Atown has vetted plenty of information that i've given him (that I didn't post to the boards).

Reactions: johnstownsteel
Atown has vetted plenty of information that i've given him (that I didn't post to the boards).
Give it up, v. Your stock plummeted after feigning a wrestling background you never had. It’s a tough, niche sport that most Lion, Hawk, and Cowboy threaders have sweated in. Regardless of team allegiance, that’s a badge of shared honor you chose to disrespect. Time to reinvent yourself under a new tag. Then stick to reasoned insights. Leave the lies to politicians.

• Haha
Reactions: vhsalum
If Dake has coaching aspirations, hard to imagine him taking pennies on the dollar to be DT’s sidekick.
I expect Dake to take the Cowboy RTC head coaching job and his pay won't be pennies on the dollars. It won't be dollar for dollar, but he will be well compensated.

Of course I could be wrong.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT