ADVERTISEMENT

David Taylor to Oklahoma State & related news

lol the burn is real
giphy.gif

The reality is the odds of this being unrelated to a flip or commitment was always the most likely outcome (and it was just coincidence). Will be an interesting next few months IMO.

PS I hope the league somehow takes off but the giant pessimistic in me says this kind of thing always fizzles out.

What a giant waste of money.

Reactions: AtownPoke
DT- selfish move! Getting paid 5million dollars to change the program but too stuck on himself. A coach has to be able to turn the page and move to
he next chapter. I knew his biggest hurdle was could he become selfless like Cael, Cody and Casey.
I could see if he had stuff established but he just took over the program. Worried about still competing. Bad look in my opinion. If I was a recruit this would be a red flag. Heck just watch their new aocial
Media videos. DT is all through them. It’s not about him anymore.

• Haha
Reactions: Hawktu and vhsalum
DT- selfish move! Getting paid 5million dollars to change the program but too stuck on himself. A coach has to be able to turn the page and move to
he next chapter. I knew his biggest hurdle was could he become selfless like Cael, Cody and Casey.
I could see if he had stuff established but he just took over the program. Worried about still competing. Bad look in my opinion. If I was a recruit this would be a red flag. Heck just watch their new aocial
I can’t tell if you’re joking, but this early on, it is all about him. DT is selling himself, the Magic Man, to build the program. He should be in all the social media, his athletes haven’t earned the star power he has. The Cowboys need him selling himself to recruits, whether it’s through social media or competing. I highly doubt he’s ignoring his coaching responsibilities to train.

Yeah. You're not understanding what this is/could do for the Cowboy brand. It's DT - but wearing Cowboy orange. And if/when he beats Sadulaev - recruits are definitely paying attention.

And for the guys in the room - DT is wrestling with them everyday. They're excited to see him compete and wrestle. It was pretty much their suggestion.

On balance, if he wins it will be of benefit to the program, if he loses, especially to Zahid, not so much.

For the kids, folk practices are what? 2 hours a day plus conditioning, weight lifting and dietary focus that David may be directly involved in? I don't see David pursuing freestyle taking that much of anything away from the kids directly.

On the Coaching side, it is indeed a full time commitment 15 hours a day including recruiting, coaching, and the myriad of additional commitments to the kids, the community, fund raising, outreach, dealing with administration, and the list goes on...

Can the previous best P4P freestyle wrestler in the world find another hour a day to go hard at freestyle alone, and then accommodate a few minimal tourneys? Not a problem in my eyes.

I was possibly the only person on this board that called Brooks beating him before it happened, and I remain convinced David was still slightly better, but highly distracted with his other commitments, family wife & kids, business interests, etc ... His lack of recent world level competitions also took the edge off. In short he miscalculated and a hungry, primed Brooks was right there to take advantage.

I also believe that David was I'll prepared emotionally for the loss. His dream was one more cycle, to stay in state college and most likely an eye on taking over the program after Cael. The OSU is indeed one of the few real crown Jeweles in NCAA wrestling, but clearly that was not David's original long term plan.

Tell me I am throwing more shit at the wall to see what sticks, that's ok. I can have an opinion.

I think he retired a bit before he was really emotionally ready. I think deep down David 100% believes he could have beat AB if his mind and body were in the fight place. The OSU offer blind sided him and in the end was too good to refuse, but deep down he knows he can still bring it at the same level internationally as 18 months ago.

I'm his defense, the last 6 months has been a whirl wind both mentally and emotionally. David clearly needs this, and closure is a good thing. If he can go out winning it will be a very good thing for him as a coach for the next decade and beyond. If he goes out losing that to is definitively closing that chapter of his life. If he were to sit on the sidelines wondering... that is no good for anyone. Not himself, the program or the kids he is now leading.

When Cael does step down someday, if it's within the next 5-10 years I expect David will feel the pull, and his hat will be in the ring.

On balance, if he wins it will be of benefit to the program, if he loses, especially to Zahid, not so much.

For the kids, folk practices are what? 2 hours a day plus conditioning, weight lifting and dietary focus that David may be directly involved in? I don't see David pursuing freestyle taking that much of anything away from the kids directly.

On the Coaching side, it is indeed a full time commitment 15 hours a day including recruiting, coaching, and the myriad of additional commitments to the kids, the community, fund raising, outreach, dealing with administration, and the list goes on...

Can the previous best P4P freestyle wrestler in the world find another hour a day to go hard at freestyle alone, and then accommodate a few minimal tourneys? Not a problem in my eyes.

I was possibly the only person on this board that called Brooks beating him before it happened, and I remain convinced David was still slightly better, but highly distracted with his other commitments, family wife & kids, business interests, etc ... His lack of recent world level competitions also took the edge off. In short he miscalculated and a hungry, primed Brooks was right there to take advantage.

I also believe that David was I'll prepared emotionally for the loss. His dream was one more cycle, to stay in state college and most likely an eye on taking over the program after Cael. The OSU is indeed one of the few real crown Jeweles in NCAA wrestling, but clearly that was not David's original long term plan.

Tell me I am throwing more shit at the wall to see what sticks, that's ok. I can have an opinion.

I think he retired a bit before he was really emotionally ready. I think deep down David 100% believes he could have beat AB if his mind and body were in the fight place. The OSU offer blind sided him and in the end was too good to refuse, but deep down he knows he can still bring it at the same level internationally as 18 months ago.

I'm his defense, the last 6 months has been a whirl wind both mentally and emotionally. David clearly needs this, and closure is a good thing. If he can go out winning it will be a very good thing for him as a coach for the next decade and beyond. If he goes out losing that to is definitively closing that chapter of his life. If he were to sit on the sidelines wondering... that is no good for anyone. Not himself, the program or the kids he is now leading.

When Cael does step down someday, if it's within the next 5-10 years I expect David will feel the pull, and his hat will be in the ring.

Eloquently stated. and nothing wrong detected. 100% right on all front

Yeah. You're not understanding what this is/could do for the Cowboy brand. It's DT - but wearing Cowboy orange. And if/when he beats Sadulaev - recruits are definitely paying attention.

And for the guys in the room - DT is wrestling with them everyday. They're excited to see him compete and wrestle. It was pretty much their suggestion.
What does it do to the brand if he loses at trials and doesn’t even make the team?

What's this about Sadulaev?

I don't know about this. It's not like he didn't spend almost 15 years in the PSU and NLWC rooms to get where he is today. He still will be cast in a blue and white tint.

Reactions: diggerpup
Would you rather train where the champ trained or train with the champ? Obviously at PsU and OSU you get both.

Just saying though, DT the gold medalist is no longer at PsU if the recruits want DT the champ they are not coming to Penn state.

Reactions: vhsalum
LOL. as stated by others. Nothing.

Plus. He ain't losing.
You all think I was being snarky. I wasn’t. Legit question. If you think it will benefit the brand if he wins and then beats Sadulaev which I 100% agree with I’m curious if losing to Zahid or someone even less credentialed hurts in any way? You all have unequivocally said no so I got my answer

Reactions: vhsalum
If DT was too distracted to prepare properly to face Brooks, wouldn't he be even more distracted now?

I personally don't think it's a bad look for him to take a little time away from coaching to do it, I just don't think he's going to be any more ready now than he was in April.

Reactions: zzs006
Season 2 Lol GIF by Friends

Never change Brock

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT