ADVERTISEMENT

David Taylor to Oklahoma State & related news

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anecdotal, but from the conversations that I had with a few parents of recruits, DT wrestling was either viewed as a positive, or at worst, it made no difference to their feelings on the program. None felt that it was a deterrent in any way.
Makes sense. I would think it would be a positive for most, and OSU will definitely play it up to create excitement in the program. Also, DT would be training in Stillwater, not Kazakhstan, so it's not like he's going to disappear for weeks on end. It's an exciting thing to be around and some of those guys probably would love to be part of his preparation.

Would he have to sacrifice a little time either coaching or training because he can't do both 100%? Yes. However, when he won worlds last year there was a lot of talk about how Yazdani was training so hard and spending every second preparing while DT was spending a lot of his time working on his farm and doing all these other things instead of training 24/7. Maybe DT doesn't want or even need to focus on training 100%, and the coaching, recruiting, and all the other stuff is a good distraction for him.

Reactions: vhsalum
Cause in my opinion it’s selfish. Now he has to train and worry about getting ready for worlds. Being a coach is selfless. How can you run a program while still Learning how to coach at the D1 level, then train and get ready for worlds.

PSU Legend yea, but when he took the job his priorities should have switched. It’s good for us, I can’t imagine recruits parents thinking this is a good idea.
Try imagining harder. The team is on record as enthusiastically supporting him, and no recruits are turning OKST down because of this.

As far as the "selfish" angle goes: Plott, Surber, Merrill, and Hendrickson are benefiting.

Cause in my opinion it’s selfish. Now he has to train and worry about getting ready for worlds. Being a coach is selfless. How can you run a program while still Learning how to coach at the D1 level, then train and get ready for worlds.

PSU Legend yea, but when he took the job his priorities should have switched. It’s good for us, I can’t imagine recruits parents thinking this is a good idea.
Yeah......when a coach works harder than his wrestlers had been doing and then puts that effort on the mat.......and WINS the spot on the world team.....that has to be a big turn-off to parents, his team and potential recruits. Captain Obvious (as Bill Engvall) says: Here's your sign

I really liked his interview. He was upset about how he wrestled his last 2 matches at 86Kg and he wanted to go out with a much better effort. I am sure moving up to 92Kg help him a lot. What I took from his interview was that he was happy with his performance and that is the way he wanted to go out. He indicated that he may not go to worlds and he would be fine with this weekend being his last competition. He even suggested it may very well be.....that he will take time to think about it and then decide. I actually do think he isn't going to worlds and will call it a career. An absolutely amazing career. THANKS for the memories Magic Man

What's the point of wrestling WTT only not to go?

Just to say my last match wasn't an L?

He literally said that once he got in the room and started coaching them on “how we’re going to wrestle” he felt conflicted because he didn’t wrestle like that his last time out and he wanted to rectify that. He also touched on what has been talked about many times which is that these guys like Dake, Snyder and DT weren’t wrestling much. Once he started rolling around he relit the old fire.
When he was in State College earlier this year, he was David Taylor businessman and part time wrestler. Wasn't competing, wasn't in the room that much. Now that he is at OKST, he is David Taylor wrestling coach who is on the mat just about every day of the week.

When you are not wrestling, you are getting rusty and the endurance suffers. DT found that out at the Olympic trials. DT getting that eye of the tiger back.

Last edited:

Brock - do you understand the amount of "support" DT has?

He's one of the few coaches who get to be a "wrestling" coach. So outside of recruiting and in the room coaching - he doesn't HAVE to do much else. I'm sure that he's not wired that way, and is involved in every decision - but much like Cael - he gets the perks of being a D1 coach without having to the out-of-wrestling-room shenanigans most have to.

So his training isn't taking much from the rest of the team - he's doing it with them. And you know, instead of running a youth wrestling club - he's pulling a 9-5.

Reactions: diggerpup
i-like-your-styke-dude-stranger.gif
Good lord the wrestling season cant get here fast enough.

I have little doubt David will win yet another world title. He has a total perspective now on life and a wrestling career. The problem with being a P4P best in the world is he thought to some extent you can mail it in. That works until it doesn't, and most get surprised when it doesn't. Then the end of his career was thrust on him before he was ready. He knows what he wants and what is required.

The Pokes are enjoying their moment.

While I appreciate what Taylor did on the mat (especially in a blue singlet); he's now an opponent, not an enemy, That said, anytime there's an orange singlet on the mat opposing a blue one, I want a pin for blue and a resounding pin-fest victory in any dual;

Cael and staff simply have the best record in the last decade and a half, It's not even close. Nothing Ryan has done, nothing TNT has done has even come close to approaching the Lions.

Taylor isn't coaching youth anymore; it's college kids with the occasional academic, girlfriend. homesickness or maturity issues that cause the loss of focus. He hasn't had a multi-time state champ be unable to translate high school dominance to college or had to replace an All-American with a bulked-up wrestler who lost out to an undersized team mate at a lower weight. Right now we have a rookie coach with promises. Until he delivers; "show me the money".

"Branding" is a word that is used by marketing departments overstating their ability to contribute to the bottom line and other people who don't understand its limits, it's as useful as when a liberal arts major parrots "follow the science" .

Did Fix-who is supposed to be the key note fixture in their RTC get over the hump?

Bottom line; not a damn thing has changed except a few departures, since this testimonial was offered in April and I'd put this on the wall in the room.

The Pokes are enjoying their moment.

David Taylor was the #1 seed, and favored over Zahid. Not sure this was as startling as Seth makes it seem. The big story would have been DT losing. To me this comes across as manufactured marketing in an attempt to gin the recruiting. Stay independent Seth lol. Nothing really changed between Friday and Monday. A former Olympic gold medalist won a world team trial. Woohoo!

He's wisely hyping up the honeymoon phase right now. Ultimately, DT will be graded on how his team performs next year. He has a ton of proven talent (the 3 transfers and Plott) and potential (Spratley, Hughes, Jamison) as well.

He's declared winning the national title as his focus for next year. Big check to write when his team seems to be a clear 3rd right now but I respect it.

Cael has always been a big "underpromise, overdeliver kind of guy" Even last year before the season started, he said I don't even set benchmarks like 10 All Americans, scoring record, we have a good team but it's up to the kids to perform.

David Taylor was the #1 seed, and favored over Zahid. Not sure this was as startling as Seth makes it seem. The big story would have been DT losing. To me this comes across as manufactured marketing in an attempt to gin the recruiting. Stay independent Seth lol. Nothing really changed between Friday and Monday. A former Olympic gold medalist won a world team trial. Woohoo!
Seth Duckworth checking his OKST sources:

parrot-hand.gif

No

It’s what you say when you have higher priorities. You talk to the team, staff and admin again and make sure you have their blessing. Its formality but it’s how he needs to play it.
Who among that group wouldn't give a blessing to go?

I can understand if he doesn't know whether he wants to go yet or not. I don't understand the formality you have to play with here, though. To make everyone feel like they have ownership of his decision?

Reactions: Pitchfork Rebel
Who among that group wouldn't give a blessing to go?

I can understand if he doesn't know whether he wants to go yet or not. I don't understand the formality you have to play with here, though. To make everyone feel like they have ownership of his decision?
Absolutely. I don’t know why it’s that hard to grasp. He has a boss and people that depend on him for his leadership at OSU. That’s the priority. He’s not a full time competitor anymore. He can’t assume he has their blessing and bullrush through it. That’s asking for issues.

Absolutely. I don’t know why it’s that hard to grasp. He has a boss and people that depend on him for his leadership at OSU. That’s the priority. He’s not a full time competitor anymore. He can’t assume he has their blessing and bullrush through it. That’s asking for issues.
I mean, I just see it differently. I can't imagine, in a million years, throwing that kind of money at someone, declaring yourself all in (which is awesome- kudos to them for doing it), then letting him go over competing.

What would the backup plan be exactly? It's diametrically opposed to all in to hold him accountable for competing of all things.

The people at OSU, by their financial commitment and passing over so many qualified alums, have shown that they depend on him here, not the other way around.

Then don't take a spot from somebody who isn't competing for the selfish reason of saying, look I went out a winner but I have can't/won't go to the WC, because now you are a winner and a quitter. Anybody that thinks about it, gets a bad taste in their mouth.

The point of the WTT is to select a representative; this is a bizarre as running in a primary election only to say "I'm not sure I want to run in the general."

Last edited:
Then don't take s spot from somebody who is competing for the selfish reason of saying, look I went out a winner but I have can't/won't go to the WC, because now you are a winner and a quitter. Anybody that thinks about it, gets a bad taste in their mouth.

The point of the WTT is to select a representative; this is a bizarre as running in a primary election only to say "I'm not sure I want to run in the general."
As I said in the first post… it’s a formality imo. I haven’t thought for a single second that he’s not going. He’s just playing it how he needs to.

Reactions: vhsalum
I mean, I just see it differently. I can't imagine, in a million years, throwing that kind of money at someone, declaring yourself all in (which is awesome- kudos to them for doing it), then letting him go over competing.

What would the backup plan be exactly? It's diametrically opposed to all in to hold him accountable for competing of all things.

The people at OSU, by their financial commitment and passing over so many qualified alums, have shown that they depend on him here, not the other way around.
Well that definitely your right to see it that way. That’s not how DT has handled it or how the culture has been set up so far. Is he the unquestioned leader? Yes. Is he walking around on a power trip trying to let everyone know how lucky we are to have him and that he’ll do what ever the hell he wants? lol heck no

good case of leading by example. no big deal

Apparently OKST has a big recruiting weekend planned on the same dates as the World Championships. It’s all a little bizarre IMO. What I’m most detesting is that, apparently, if DT doesn’t go, then Zahid is the rep without winning a single match at WTT to earn it. I mean, at least let him earn the spot by wrestling Hidlay.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT