ADVERTISEMENT

David Taylor to Oklahoma State & related news

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apparently OKST has a big recruiting weekend planned on the same dates as the World Championships.
Ok so then that makes a little sense.

Still not certain it's a hanging offense from the administration. Just think DT would be dumb to skip it.

Maybe DT's contract already addresses this and he does not need approval to go to Worlds? I for one hope he goes. He is my favorite to watch and when he wins worlds, will go out the winner he is. And shortly thereafter will help bring OSU to second place in the wrestling world, but still a distant second place for the next decade (hopefully).

Is he walking around on a power trip trying to let everyone know how lucky we are to have him and that he’ll do what ever the hell he wants? lol heck no
Grand Canyon between this and possibly not going because his bosses and/or athletes will object.

I'm not saying he doesn't care about what they have to say. I am saying:
A. Why would any of these people ever object? and
B. Why would it stop him from going if they did?

The recruits on campus thing is interesting, but you don't pay millions for a guy to be told what decisions to make in his program, If it doesn't bother him that he'd be missing them, why should it bother them?

I can't imagine a single Ok State wrestler or recruit being against the idea of DT competing one last time at worlds. Kids LOVE stuff like that. You can't forget, Cael was 7 years into retirement in 2011 and the team wanted him to wrestle. From an AD perspective, have you seen the publicity him wrestling got? Worlds is in little over a month from now and before the season really even kicks off full speed, the bulk of DT's training comes from his time with the team. If he's doing extra, if anything, his family is making a sacrifice from Husband/Daddy time.

I said before, the only potential slippery slope I see is if (and let's be honest, it's a "when") DT medals, he's setting a crash course with Brooks next year at Final X and I am sure the itching will be strong to make a statement there but in all likelihood, he'll know when to say when.

this is how you work, this is how you do it, this is how you win/have success.
What I wrote 10 minutes ago on another board:

Well, it's always true that if you don't believe in the process, the results will never happen. In this situation, we are only four months removed from DT rolling into town. He has to build interpersonal relationships from scratch while instituting a different culture (not easy to do and easy to fail). He has to sell his process to the team up front as a belief system because they haven't seen the success. That's why I think it was important for him to go to WTT. He is giving them an up close and personal lesson in commitment to culture, practice, and mindset leading to success on the mat. I'm sure he told the team that he probably lost at OTT because he wasn't fully committed (family and businesses). So he committed to WTT and won. That's a real lesson. One they can see. I expect that he got even more buy-in after he won than beforehand. From the wrestler POV, they didn't commit to him, they barely know him, he's giving them a plan that wasn't provided at recruitment. That's a tough hill to climb on both sides.

What I wrote 10 minutes ago on another board:

Well, it's always true that if you don't believe in the process, the results will never happen. In this situation, we are only four months removed from DT rolling into town. He has to build interpersonal relationships from scratch while instituting a different culture (not easy to do and easy to fail). He has to sell his process to the team up front as a belief system because they haven't seen the success. That's why I think it was important for him to go to WTT. He is giving them an up close and personal lesson in commitment to culture, practice, and mindset leading to success on the mat. I'm sure he told the team that he probably lost at OTT because he wasn't fully committed (family and businesses). So he committed to WTT and won. That's a real lesson. One they can see. I expect that he got even more buy-in after he won than beforehand. From the wrestler POV, they didn't commit to him, they barely know him, he's giving them a plan that wasn't provided at recruitment. That's a tough hill to climb on both sides.
I don't disagree with most of this, but I'm just not buying that he has fewer distractions by dropping his business responsibilities and then adding recruiting, dealing with the AD and administration, interviewing and choosing his staff, moving his family, and probably 100 other new responsibilities. Kendra supposedly took care of most of the family stuff but it's not like he suddenly stopped spending time with his kids and wife. He can spin it however he wants but he lost because AB was better that day. If anyone had an excuse it was AB, who had to wrestle extremely late and then continue to workout and drop weight all night to make another early morning weigh-in.

I don't disagree with most of this, but I'm just not buying that he has fewer distractions by dropping his business responsibilities and then adding recruiting, dealing with the AD and administration, interviewing and choosing his staff, moving his family, and probably 100 other new responsibilities. Kendra supposedly took care of most of the family stuff but it's not like he suddenly stopped spending time with his kids and wife. He can spin it however he wants but he lost because AB was better that day. If anyone had an excuse it was AB, who had to wrestle extremely late and then continue to workout and drop weight all night to make another early morning weigh-in.
This is also true 👍

Except he was saying it before he even lost. It’s not just distraction. He wasn’t in it mentally. He was forcing himself to go through the motions. When he got to Stillwater and started rolling everyday and coaching it, he relit the old fire and started loving wrestling again. It’s as simple as that. If you’re not mentally into what you’re doing… there is no chance of success. I know yall are all touchy as hell about AB and with DT leaving it becomes really easy to take a shit on him but this topic has nothing to do with AB

I mean I honestly think after watching AB and Zahid vs DT and Zahid… there is more of an argument against your point than for it but like I said… none of this has anything to do with AB.

Except he was saying it before he even lost. It’s not just distraction. He wasn’t in it mentally. He was forcing himself to go through the motions. When he got to Stillwater and started rolling everyday and coaching it, he relit the old fire and started loving wrestling again. It’s as simple as that. If you’re not mentally into what you’re doing… there is no chance of success. I know yall are all touchy as hell about AB and with DT leaving it becomes really easy to take a shit on him but this topic has nothing to do with AB

I mean I honestly think after watching AB and Zahid vs DT and Zahid… there is more of an argument against your point than for it but like I said… none of this has anything to do with AB.
I like your contributions but I think you’ve “known” DT for 5 minutes 😂. Listen I don’t know him either, but let’s not act like we understand his motivations and feelings

Reactions: AtownPoke

Doesn’t it become equally easy for you to defend him only because he’s Poke now as it is for anyone here to crap on him because he left?

I can only speak for myself, I’m not pro or anti DT I don’t care that much either way. I still don’t understand the dramatic “might not go” comment is all and I still haven’t really heard an explanation that makes sense where he’d qualify but not attend.

He had to know it was a recruiting weekend before Saturday. No one in their right mind will, nor should, say “no can’t go”. If it’s to go through the motions of just common respect of an employer it’s just being facetious which is ok too but then chuckle a bit after.

I like your contributions but I think you’ve “known” DT for 5 minutes 😂. Listen I don’t know him either, but let’s not act like we understand his motivations and feelings
I don’t have to “know” him. He was a a super star in the sport. It’s not like I’d never watched him wrestle before. And I’m going directly off the interviews that we’ve all seen prior to the OTT when he talked about the changes in his life and how he wasn’t prioritizing wrestling like he always had. The dude was burned up. And since then he’s been very vocal about it. It’s not my place to call him a liar just to prop up AB (which is what it seems like we’re doing here).

I don’t have to “know” him. He was a a super star in the sport. It’s not like I’d never watched him wrestle before. And I’m going directly off the interviews that we’ve all seen prior to the OTT when he talked about the changes in his life and how he wasn’t prioritizing wrestling like he always had. The dude was burned up. And since then he’s been very vocal about it. It’s not my place to call him a liar just to prop up AB (which is what it seems like we’re doing here).
I would imagine some people are also a little bit upset that he might not go if only because another Pa guy could realistically have been the rep. We’re kind of tribal people.

Doesn’t it become equally easy for you to defend him only because he’s Poke now as it is for anyone here to crap on him because he left?

I can only speak for myself, I’m not pro or anti DT I don’t care that much either way. I still don’t understand the dramatic “might not go” comment is all and I still haven’t really heard an explanation that makes sense where he’d qualify but not attend.

He had to know it was a recruiting weekend before Saturday. No one in their right mind will, nor should, say “no can’t go”. If it’s to go through the motions of just common respect of an employer it’s just being facetious which is ok too but then chuckle a bit after.
We’ve all been very clear that we all see it as a formality… There’s nothing to understand really. You can’t say your GF of 5 years (that’s been begging you to propose) is your fiancée until you ask. Its a formality because you know the answer but you still have to ask.

Reactions: vhsalum

DT is essentially saying he wouldn't have lost to Brooks if he actually prepared and wasn't so distracted so I guess some people feel the need to defend Brooks. Plus if DT hadn't lost to AB then it's likely he wouldn't even be coaching at OSU so it does have a little to do with AB. As for Zahid/DT/AB, I'm sure you know using the transitive property is kind of silly in sports since a huge part of it is matchups (see Haines/Carr/O'Toole).

Who knows who wins between DT and Brooks if they wrestle next year, maybe Taylor is actually focused this time around and things are different. But if DT has to wrestle at 10:30pm and then has to make weight at 8am the next morning while Brooks is fresh with a good night's sleep, my money is on Brooks.

Reactions: Ski and AtownPoke
DT is essentially saying he wouldn't have lost to Brooks if he actually prepared and wasn't so distracted so I guess some people feel the need to defend Brooks. Plus if DT hadn't lost to AB then it's likely he wouldn't even be coaching at OSU so it does have a little to do with AB. As for Zahid/DT/AB, I'm sure you know using the transitive property is kind of silly in sports since a huge part of it is matchups (see Haines/Carr/O'Toole).

Who knows who wins between DT and Brooks if they wrestle next year, maybe Taylor is actually focused this time around and things are different. But if DT has to wrestle at 10:30pm and then has to make weight at 8am the next morning while Brooks is fresh with a good night's sleep, my money is on Brooks.
hopefully we get to find out but i doubt it. If he goes to worlds it’ll be his last rodeo imo

I would imagine some people are also a little bit upset that he might not go if only because another Pa guy could realistically have been the rep. We’re kind of tribal people.
This. @AtownPoke Hidlay is a central pa kid; he went to Mifflin County High in Lewistown, just 30 mins from State College. And we’re hearing if DT doesn’t go to Worlds, it’s Zahid without Hidlay even getting a chance to wrestle him for the spot.

This. @AtownPoke Hidlay is a central pa kid; he went to Mifflin County High in Lewistown, just 30 mins from State College. And we’re hearing if DT doesn’t go to Worlds, it’s Zahid without Hidlay even getting a chance to wrestle him for the spot.
Saw a digital billboard w/ Trent on it in Lewistown just the other day, though I didn't get a chance to see what he was sponsoring.

I think some clarity to this whole situation will continue to emerge once more specifics are released in regards to feelings and how it all went down. It's not as cut and dry as it seems with how it went down, but I'll let that come out with more of the parties that are directly involved in the conversation, if they ever want to share. I can tell you there were some instances where David committed to do some clinics and camps for a certain amount and then raised his rate between that time and the beginning of the events. He is/was an incredible talent but make no mistake about it- he was focused on himself and not altogether altruistic in helping others. Wrestling is a tough gig. You need to strike when the iron is hot to maximize your earnings. At the same time, you have to weigh your options when it comes to commitments and your word. It's a fine line. Any time you get a bunch of very successful people together, even really good people, there will always be some form of ego involved. It can cause people make some unique choices. At the same time, he is not Cael. Cael is literally one of a kind. PSU will be more than fine, and I can tell you first hand there is not a single person who is dwelling on David leaving. What this means in the big picture will remain to be seen.

One of my mom’s favorite sayings is “not my circus, not my monkeys” That’s how I view the current DT talk. If there was behind the scenes discord when he left, it was mostly kept it behind the scenes for a reason. I still root for Taylor on the world stage, and root for the guys wearing blue and white a little more. I am glad to have outgrown high school drama years ago- I don’t need to embrace it or pursue it as a fan.

One of my mom’s favorite sayings is “not my circus, not my monkeys” That’s how I view the current DT talk. If there was behind the scenes discord when he left, it was mostly kept it behind the scenes for a reason. I still root for Taylor on the world stage, and root for the guys wearing blue and white a little more. I am glad to have outgrown high school drama years ago- I don’t need to embrace it or pursue it as a fan.
I know yall won’t take this well but believe it or not there are no perfect people. Everyone has things that cause some discord behind the scenes. Pretending anyone (including Cael) is different is just asinine. Hell Cael oversaw the overthrow of his own coach at ISU just to turn around and leave shortly after. They all have egos. It’s just how much value they bring to you whether you’re willing to over look them. DT has left now and people will begin to throw dirt on him. Just like ISU people did Cael and Gable. It happens.

I know yall won’t take this well but believe it or not there are no perfect people. Everyone has things that cause some discord behind the scenes. Pretending anyone (including Cael) is different is just asinine. Hell Cael oversaw the overthrow of his own coach at ISU just to turn around and leave shortly after. They all have egos. It’s just how much value they bring to you whether you’re willing to over look them. DT has left now and people will begin to throw dirt on him. Just like ISU people did Cael and Gable. It happens.
You’re absolutely correct. Even I make mistakes, although quite rarely. The last one was way back in the early 80’s, if I recall correctly. 😁

I know yall won’t take this well but believe it or not there are no perfect people.
giphy.gif

Some will certainly. I am not claiming anyone is perfect, or there weren’t feelings rubbed the wrong way. I am saying , they are all adults and I don’t need to make all of their grievances mine. I recognize DT was a PSU great, he was instrumental in the start of PSU’s wrestling run and be thankful for his past contributions.

I am not sure I would blame the Douglas - Cael exchange on Cael. That was Gable's fault.
The Iowa and Ohio State jobs were either open or soon going to open up and if Cael wasn't the ISU coach the ISU fear was he would be gone to one of those two schools and recreate a Gable success story at another school. Cael was a must keep.
ISU screwed the pooch by not availing to Cael the resources he sought to build his vision of a wrestling mecca.

I am not sure I would blame the Douglas - Cael exchange on Cael. That was Gable's fault.
The Iowa and Ohio State jobs were either open or soon going to open up and if Cael wasn't the ISU coach the ISU fear was he would be gone to one of those two schools and recreate a Gable success story at another school. Cael was a must keep.
ISU screwed the pooch by not availing to Cael the resources he sought to build his vision of a wrestling mecca.
This is true. The AD at ISU wouldn't support Cael's vision, so Cael took his vision elsewhere. This sort of thing happens in every area of life. It's a non issue except to those incapable of understand that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT