ADVERTISEMENT

David Taylor to Oklahoma State & related news

Saying he’s going to beat Sadulaev is bold.

Oh no. I ain't saying that. Sadulaev's best weight is 92kg. He won't be fat.

But DT at 92 is his best weight as well. So I have no idea who wins it.

It's literally the greatest defensive wrestler of our time versus the greatest offensive wrestler of our time.

Reactions: diggerpup
Oh no. I ain't saying that. Sadulaev's best weight is 92kg. He won't be fat.

But DT at 92 is his best weight as well. So I have no idea who wins it.

It's literally the greatest defensive wrestler of our time versus the greatest offensive wrestler of our time.
I think it’ll be Dake-Taylor with a Caucasus twist. I don’t see a healthy Sadulaev losing

If DT was too distracted to prepare properly to face Brooks, wouldn't he be even more distracted now?

I personally don't think it's a bad look for him to take a little time away from coaching to do it, I just don't think he's going to be any more ready now than he was in April.
I think he’s probably been on the mat more and rolling with the guys more. That doesn’t equal “training” for something like WTT but it sparked something and from what I’ve heard he unexpectedly feels great and feels like he can really compete at a high level.

I think he’s probably been on the mat more and rolling with the guys more. That doesn’t equal “training” for something like WTT but it sparked something and from what I’ve heard he unexpectedly feels great and feels like he can really compete at a high level.

This.

He feels good. and he's been training HARD. And not cutting weight has allowed to actually train a bit harder.

I see no negatives to a coach competing as long as it does not affect their coaching. I honestly wouldnt mind seeing it a little more often.

Reactions: vhsalum
DT- selfish move! Getting paid 5million dollars to change the program but too stuck on himself. A coach has to be able to turn the page and move to
he next chapter. I knew his biggest hurdle was could he become selfless like Cael, Cody and Casey.
I could see if he had stuff established but he just took over the program. Worried about still competing. Bad look in my opinion. If I was a recruit this would be a red flag. Heck just watch their new aocial
Media videos. DT is all through them. It’s not about him anymore.

gEt oFf mY lAwN !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Agreed. Many props to @GogglesPaizano 's ghostwriter.

Only kidding, Gogs. You're a good sport and as I've stated before, I'm old and reserve the right to be cranky. Just check out my post on the Ferrari thread.
I am like a fine wine. An aquired taste, that may take years to appreciate. Then again a few bottles in the case turn to vinegar.

Where's that. I'd like to apply, maybe have that experience before I leave my green eyeshade on the ledger.
You just work for the wrong company I guess. I can think of several former bosses over the years who were leaders. Had several who were not. Once you've had a good boss, it's harder to accept those that are less good.

Legit question: did y'all also quit rooting for Mark & Cenzo when they left too? I find that perspective surprising. I'm not necessarily rooting for him on the recruiting trail or anything--but I'd be so happy to see DT go out a world champ.
Not that I'm rooting against DT, but he does pose a threat where the others currently do not.

The perception of a threat, maybe. I'll call it an actual threat when OKST dudes start winning Semifinals >60%.
David poses a recruiting threat at OKST. He has trained so many kids for so many years that his mere presence leading a once great program will attract some young wrestlers who likely would otherwise come to PSU. In terms of a real performance threat, that is a few years off to even have enough data to be meaningful. He has no semifinals winners. Once he has at least 10 semifinal winners that he recruited and developed and they have a winning percentage greater than 60% in those matches, there is no statistically significant evidence that he poses a threat to our dominance.

You just work for the wrong company I guess. I can think of several former bosses over the years who were leaders. Had several who were not. Once you've had a good boss, it's harder to accept those that are less good.

I've worked in a number of places. The best boss I ever had was a guy who got me because I was dropped from a mismanaged project (that eventually blew up) and was reassigned . He sat me down, explained how young staff was being "evaluated" through chatter, and I should keep a low profile, that all he wanted from me was to break the programs I was assigned to test, so that they didn't break when released. Just wanted a good 40 hours and he'd shoot straight with me as long as I shot straight with him. Upper management hated him because he like to wear belts with a Doberman head profile buckle (it was "inappropriate") as an homage to his hobby of raising the breed.

Best boss ever I ever had and one of a handful I'd classify as good. Most bosses in my experience are like diapers. Location and contents. At 53, he became eligible for retirement thanks to a buy out and 35 years of employment that started right after he graduated high school. Unfortunately, his smoking caught up with him and lung cancer claimed him early a couple years after he retired.

Dont care what DT does in stillwater, doesn’t matter to me if he wins or loses today. He’s no longer at PSU.

Listen to this interview-it tells a lot, but mostly is a bad attempt at trying to portray participation as being the best interest=or at least not a serious distraction from a new job..

Just admit you didn't want to go out with an L and you still have a drive to compete. No shame in by being beaten by Brooks or going through a rough patch, especially while trying to shoehorn into the limited number of Oly weight classes.

The idea that you had some kind of epiphany and that your 180 isn't all about you is disappointing.

I think "change of scenery" is a Freudian slip.

I've worked in a number of places. The best boss I ever had was a guy who got me because I was dropped from a mismanaged project (that eventually blew up) and was reassigned . He sat me down, explained how young staff was being "evaluated" through chatter, and I should keep a low profile, that all he wanted from me was to break the programs I was assigned to test, so that they didn't break when released. Just wanted a good 40 hours and he'd shoot straight with me as long as I shot straight with him. Upper management hated him because he like to wear belts with a Doberman head profile buckle (it was "inappropriate") as an homage to his hobby of raising the breed.

Best boss ever I ever had and one of a handful I'd classify as good. Most bosses in my experience are like diapers. Location and contents. At 53, he became eligible for retirement thanks to a buy out and 35 years of employment that started right after he graduated high school. Unfortunately, his smoking caught up with him and lung cancer claimed him early a couple years after he retired.
I hate to see people die so soon after they retired young. This occurs far too often in law enforcement. I want to live so long the City of San Diego is cursing my name, or my wife's name, since I took the option where I get a little less per month but she will continue to receive 100% of my pension even after I go to that wrestling mat in the sky : )

Listen to this interview-it tells a lot, but mostly is a bad attempt at trying to portray participation as being the best interest=or at least not a serious distraction from a new job..

Just admit you didn't want to go out with an L and you still have a drive to compete. No shame in by being beaten by Brooks or going through a rough patch, especially while trying to shoehorn into the limited number of Oly weight classes.

The idea that you had some kind of epiphany and that your 180 isn't all about you is disappointing.

He literally said that once he got in the room and started coaching them on “how we’re going to wrestle” he felt conflicted because he didn’t wrestle like that his last time out and he wanted to rectify that. He also touched on what has been talked about many times which is that these guys like Dake, Snyder and DT weren’t wrestling much. Once he started rolling around he relit the old fire.

I really liked his interview. He was upset about how he wrestled his last 2 matches at 86Kg and he wanted to go out with a much better effort. I am sure moving up to 92Kg help him a lot. What I took from his interview was that he was happy with his performance and that is the way he wanted to go out. He indicated that he may not go to worlds and he would be fine with this weekend being his last competition. He even suggested it may very well be.....that he will take time to think about it and then decide. I actually do think he isn't going to worlds and will call it a career. An absolutely amazing career. THANKS for the memories Magic Man

brock why you badmouthing DT PSU legend so wrong!
Cause in my opinion it’s selfish. Now he has to train and worry about getting ready for worlds. Being a coach is selfless. How can you run a program while still Learning how to coach at the D1 level, then train and get ready for worlds.

PSU Legend yea, but when he took the job his priorities should have switched. It’s good for us, I can’t imagine recruits parents thinking this is a good idea.

• Haha
Reactions: vhsalum
If DT wrestles worlds, he's virtually a lock to medal even if he doesn't beat Sadulaev. Then he has a Final X bye next year as AB goes up and you know he'll be itching for a rematch.

I think he is deciding when to say when because he is being paid a lot of money to do a job that takes a lot of time.

Cause in my opinion it’s selfish. Now he has to train and worry about getting ready for worlds. Being a coach is selfless. How can you run a program while still Learning how to coach at the D1 level, then train and get ready for worlds.

PSU Legend yea, but when he took the job his priorities should have switched. It’s good for us, I can’t imagine recruits parents thinking this is a good idea.
Cael did the same thing. This really is a nothing burger.

Cael did the same thing. This really is a nothing burger.
Not totally apples to apples here, the 2010-2011 team was prodding Cael to wrestle again. Cael didn't want to so they bet if they could win Big Tens, he has to wrestle and he agreed.

But similarly, DT is literally in match shape, if anything he was training to peak right around now (Olympics) so he probably didn't need to do anything beyond practicing with the team to get ready.

Reactions: 7brwnpsu

Anecdotal, but from the conversations that I had with a few parents of recruits, DT wrestling was either viewed as a positive, or at worst, it made no difference to their feelings on the program. None felt that it was a deterrent in any way.

Weird hill to die on, especially considering your weekly Bo takes.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT