ADVERTISEMENT

Day 2 - Offically Offical 2022 Big Ten Tournament and B1G+ Technical Support Thread

Wonder how injured. Maybe he pulls out of Nationals. Plus he’s 9-7 on the year and I don’t believe he has any wins over a top 20 guy. I admittedly am ignorant to the at larges and how they work but wouldn’t Whittlakes reputation get him the spot instead of actual results from this year??
It looked like he had a bandage on his forehead last night during his consultation match. Other than that just speculation on my part.

As El Jefe stated in another thread Whitlake going 0-2 does not help Edsell.
I looked into it a bit more, and other than name recognition, Edsell actually does better than Wittlake at the at-large selection criteria:

• Head-to-Head Competition (vs other at-large candidates) —> did not face each other; TBD vs the at-large field
• Quality Wins (defined as 2022 qualifiers) —> Edsell beat Penn's Revano; Wittlake needs Judge (Iowa State) to win one more match
• Coaches Rank —> Edsell 26th, Wittlake 21st (both could drop)
• Conference tournament placement —> Edsell could finish 2 spots out; Wittlake bombed
• Results vs. common opponents —> both lost to Marinelli; TBD vs the at-large field
• Win percentage —> Edsell currently .688; Wittlake .562

The hitch with Edsell is that he has to retain a coaches' ranking in order to be eligible for an at-large. Also that he gets compared against the entire at-large field, not just Wittlake.

Not once have I seen them ask for assistance.
Apparently you are not active in the Wrestling Club. If you were you would know that the Club has been actively recruiting members to Chair and or Co-Chair many of the committees, most of which are chaired by those in their 80s and have been doing so for many years. Also if you really cared you would not need to be asked, YOU would ask what you can do to help, I can tell for sure YOU will not be one of those to do that,.

I looked into it a bit more, and other than name recognition, Edsell actually does better than Wittlake at the at-large selection criteria:

• Head-to-Head Competition (vs other at-large candidates) —> did not face each other; TBD vs the at-large field
• Quality Wins (defined as 2022 qualifiers) —> Edsell beat Penn's Revano; Wittlake needs Judge (Iowa State) to win one more match
• Coaches Rank —> Edsell 26th, Wittlake 21st (both could drop)
• Conference tournament placement —> Edsell could finish 2 spots out; Wittlake bombed
• Results vs. common opponents —> both lost to Marinelli; TBD vs the at-large field
• Win percentage —> Edsell currently .688; Wittlake .562

The hitch with Edsell is that he has to retain a coaches' ranking in order to be eligible for an at-large. Also that he gets compared against the entire at-large field, not just Wittlake.
Great post. I actually asked about this in another thread I think. Didn’t seem right if he gets in over Edsell but like I said I’m ignorant to how that all works.

Reactions: mcpat and Fatmarc
285 Consolation Semifinals
Kerkvliet vs L Davison

Kerk with a front headlock then underhook. NU coaches challenge if headlock was legal. They go to video. Taking a lot of time to review. No illegal headlock. Handfighting. Kerk tries to set something up but gets nothing. Not much action. No committed shots. 1 min to go. 0-0 after one.

LD starts on bottom. Kerk riding to side. Kerk told to work and not just hang on. Lets him up. 1-0 LD. LD shoots and gets a quick finish. 3-0 LD. Kerk doesn’t look like himself. Kerk hips over gets reversal when was close to escape and TD but never broke contact. LD almost gets an escape but stalemated. 3-2 LD. 21 secs to go. Kerk back to side ride. 3-2 LD after two. 54 secs RT for Kerk.

Kerk chooses bottom. Rolls and gets quick reversal. 4-3 Kerk NQ. Riding time goes up over a minute. Kerk has him flat. I’m a little worried about getting called for stalling. Stalemated while LD was flattened out. 58 secs to go. 1:38 RT. LD to feet. Kerk gets mat return. Kerk works a turk. No turn. Kerk rides him out and wins 5-3 with riding point. Not his best match but a very important W for the team score.

I read somewhere that Smith said Wittlake wrestling won't make the injury any worse for whatever that's worth.

Great post. I actually asked about this in another thread I think. Didn’t seem right if he gets in over Edsell but like I said I’m ignorant to how that all works.
Wittlake has now lost his last 5 in a row.

But 2 of those were 3-2 scores vs. O'Toole and Marinelli -- those won't be held against him. And the 5-0 loss to Hartman might not be either.

Unless the coaches have interns fill out the polls like football does ...

Reactions: mcpat
Apparently you are not active in the Wrestling Club. If you were you would know that the Club has been actively recruiting members to Chair and or Co-Chair many of the committees, most of which are chaired by those in their 80s and have been doing so for many years. Also if you really cared you would not need to be asked, YOU would ask what you can do to help, I can tell for sure YOU will not be one of those to do that,.
You have no ****ing clue who I am or what I would be willing to do. Yes, I am not overly active given that I live 1000 miles+ from State College.

Anyway, I wasn’t criticizing, I was asking if there was a problem. And you sure seem to have a burr up your ass with everyone today!!

I will be happy to volunteer @KCLion on his behalf. He’s young and retired!

285 Consolation Semifinals
Kerkvliet vs L Davison

Kerk with a front headlock then underhook. NU coaches challenge if headlock was legal. They go to video. Taking a lot of time to review. No illegal headlock. Handfighting. Kerk tries to set something up but gets nothing. Not much action. No committed shots. 1 min to go. 0-0 after one.

LD starts on bottom. Kerk riding to side. Kerk told to work and not just hang on. Lets him up. 1-0 LD. LD shoots and gets a quick finish. 3-0 LD. Kerk doesn’t look like himself. Kerk hips over gets reversal when was close to escape and TD but never broke contact. LD almost gets an escape but stalemated. 3-2 LD. 21 secs to go. Kerk back to side ride. 3-2 LD after two. 54 secs RT for Kerk.

Kerk chooses bottom. Rolls and gets quick reversal. 4-3 Kerk NQ. Riding time goes up over a minute. Kerk has him flat. I’m a little worried about getting called for stalling. Stalemated while LD was flattened out. 58 secs to go. 1:38 RT. LD to feet. Kerk gets mat return. Kerk works a turk. No turn. Kerk rides him out and wins 5-3 with riding point. Not his best match but a very important W for the team score.
You can tell the coaches have been working with Greg on his bottom game. He's got some nice moves to get free or get reversals.

Reactions: 7Springs
That round went about as well as it could have. Penn State was perfect and got two big bonus points from Berge. It would have been nice if someone could have pulled off an upset over a Michigan wrestler, but no one was expected to. Warner over Caffey is the only surprise (a very slight one) that matters for team scoring and Iowa will need a ton of other things to go their way for it to matter in the end.

Brutal tournament for Indiana, 4 points total and zero top8 finishers.
You’d think theyd start showing improvement. For Indiana being a basketball state, they sure do get some high end wrestling talent coming out of there . Need someone that can keep them in state. Yeah, easier said than done I know.

Reactions: bigmacphilly
That round went about as well as it could have. Penn State was perfect and got two big bonus points from Berge. It would have been nice if someone could have pulled off an upset over a Michigan wrestler, but no one was expected to. Warner over Caffey is the only surprise (a very slight one) that matters for team scoring and Iowa will need a ton of other things to go their way for it to matter in the end.
Was Warner over Caffey a surprise? I had no doubts Warner was gonna win that one.

Reactions: mcpat and Ski
I actually think Warner is the better opponent to take out Brucki... I actually wanted warner...Maybe I am off on my assessment though

Need Brady and Greg to finish 3rd:

Brady vs Young Iowa
Greg vs Parris Michigan

You’d think theyd start showing improvement. For Indiana being a basketball state, they sure do get some high end wrestling talent coming out of there . Need someone that can keep them in state. Yeah, easier said than done I know.
I agree but how many Maryland wrestlers were pinned yesterday? I would say 5/6 guys. Not a good showing by them either.

All finalists have to win but they definitely can. If that happens my guess:
PSU 140.5
michigan 138
iowa 126.5

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT