ADVERTISEMENT

Drew Allar

If Ohio State is loaded at QB then why were Ohio State coaches at Allar's game last Friday night? Supposedly Allar is the number 1 QB prospect in the country. Do you think all 4 of Ohio State's current QBs are better prospects?
I would imagine in part that they would rather have him sit on their bench and never play than put on a Penn State uni.

top qb schools using what metric? getting QBs drafted? maybe. preparing QBs to play in the NFL? no. Career longevity? no. putting up gaudy numbers in college? maybe yes.

Since 2000, 7 QBs drafted in 21 years. TOTAL:
Steve Bellisari - who?
Craig Krenzel - huh?
Troy Smith - flash year or 2 but nah
Terrelle Pryor - HAH!
Cardale Jones - nope
Dwayne Haskins - Funniest of all
Justin Fields - too early to tell

OSU is NOT a QB school. they're a WR/DE/CB/OL school, but in no way are they a QB school.
If you reread my post, I said top QB schools over the last 4 to 5 years. My metric is their current recruiting and rosters. You're going all the way back to the early 2000s. I used 4 to 5 years because - without looking it up - I believe that's how long Lincoln Riley's been at Oklahoma. Day - a former NFL QB coach - has been at OSU 2 to 3 years. And quite a few of those you listed for OSU were read-option type QBs - not effective NFL QBs but pretty damn good COLLEGE QBs. You also left out JT Barrett and Braxton Miller - both read-option college QBs. Sure brought them a few championships - conference and national talk every year. If I'm not mistaken, we do discuss CF on these boards. That's a pretty impressive list of COLLEGE QBs you listed

Last edited:
I guess it's a good thing that getting drafted is the metric of success, and not NFL career

There is no secret to NFL success for a QB. Look at the starters for Sunday. You won't find any one school that is producing long term starters more than the others.

Off top of my head, Bama can take credit for 2.5 (Hurts is 1/2 OU), and Louisville has 2.

If you are a HS kid, all you can ask for is "get me drafted". Nobody has the magic wand that grants successful NFL QBing.

If you reread my post, I said top QB schools over the last 4 to 5 years. My metric is their current recruiting and rosters. You're going all the way back to the early 2000s. I used 4 to 5 years because - without looking it up - I believe that's how long Lincoln Riley's been at Oklahoma. Day - a former NFL QB coach - has been at OSU 2 to 3 years. And quite a few of those you listed for OSU were read-option type QBs - not effective NFL QBs but pretty damn good COLLEGE QBs. Sure brought them a few championships - conference and national talk every year. If I'm not mistaken, we do discuss CF on these boards. That's a pretty impressive list of COLLEGE QBs you listed

personally, I don't believe choosing 1 small fraction of a players career (getting drafted) to define success is honest business. By that single, "getting drafted" metric, i'd argue that North Dakota State is a better QB school than OSU. Carson Wentz and Trey Lance, but no one talks about them as a QB school. We don't say "John Elway is a successful QB because he was drafted #1". Same with Jamarcus Russell, Heath Shuler, Ryan Leaf.... the list goes on. Conversely, Washington State isn't a top QB school, even at the time, because of Ryan Leaf.

Which leads to a second argument that taking such a small sample size is so incredibly disingenuous. We don't take PSU as RBU because of Barkley and Sanders. Clemson isn't QB-U because of Watson and Lawrence. I just believe the entire argument that "because of the last 4-5 years...." is honest

There is no secret to NFL success for a QB. Look at the starters for Sunday. You won't find any one school that is producing long term starters more than the others.

Off top of my head, Bama can take credit for 2.5 (Hurts is 1/2 OU), and Louisville has 2.

If you are a HS kid, all you can ask for is "get me drafted". Nobody has the magic wand that grants successful NFL QBing.
Totally agree. CF and the NFL are 2 different games - especially at the QB position.

Reactions: TheGLOV

Disagree. Get me drafted is 1 piece of the puzzle. How about "prepare me for the NFL" or "develop my skills"

Disagree. Get me drafted is 1 piece of the puzzle. How about "prepare me for the NFL" or "develop my skills"

Then who is doing that? Just trying to follow what point you are making.

Bama, OU, OSU, Clemson are developing their QBs enough to get them drafted. What else can they do? Put crappy OL in front of them to simulate getting selected by the Jets?

The practice squad NFL guys are better than every player you face in college save for maybe 50 players a year. It's that competitive. Schools can't teach effort and self discipline either. See Haskins, Dwayne.

personally, I don't believe choosing 1 small fraction of a players career (getting drafted) to define success is honest business. By that single, "getting drafted" metric, i'd argue that North Dakota State is a better QB school than OSU. Carson Wentz and Trey Lance, but no one talks about them as a QB school. We don't say "John Elway is a successful QB because he was drafted #1". Same with Jamarcus Russell, Heath Shuler, Ryan Leaf.... the list goes on. Conversely, Washington State isn't a top QB school, even at the time, because of Ryan Leaf.

Which leads to a second argument that taking such a small sample size is so incredibly disingenuous. We don't take PSU as RBU because of Barkley and Sanders. Clemson isn't QB-U because of Watson and Lawrence. I just believe the entire argument that "because of the last 4-5 years...." is honest
I'm not claiming OSU or Oklahoma to be traditional QB schools but they are pulling in the cream of the HS QBs right now because of their staffs - mainly Riley and Day. Go back and look at the one of the main reasons Fields chose OSU - it was because of getting to learn under Day. Same with Caleb Williams - he chose OK because of Lincoln Riley. Ewers never waivered on OSU even though the roster is stacked in front of him. Oh, and Oklahoma already has a commitment from the top national 2023 QB recruit - Malachi Nelson. And Alabama is Alabama - they'll always get a top 2 or 3 national QB every year

Reactions: dailybuck777
I don't have a clue how much Fields progressed from his freshman to sophomore years, but Kirby played it way too safe. He rolled with the game manager over pure arm talent and it cost him. Difference in Saban and Smart right there and it's on display in the trophy cases.

Now he's rolling with a former walk on who went JUCO before getting a 'ship and a USC transfer who can't get healthy. His '22 commit looks good though.

Amazing how different the Ryan Day era would seem if they’d had Tate Martell the last two seasons instead of fields. Shine could have come off real fast.

Amazing how different the Ryan Day era would seem if they’d had Tate Martell the last two seasons instead of fields. Shine could have come off real fast.
I think OSU wouldn't have been as good with Martell as it was with Fields, obviously. On the other hand, while at OSU Martell was reasonably good and Urban Meyer thought enough of him to actually work to get him reps in games where it really mattered. He was 20 for 28 in his last year at OSU. Not like OSU would have lost 4 games with Martell. He was extremely quick and could have been something of an approximation of JT Barrett who was not a very good passer but was a good runner.

If Ohio State is loaded at QB then why were Ohio State coaches at Allar's game last Friday night? Supposedly Allar is the number 1 QB prospect in the country. Do you think all 4 of Ohio State's current QBs are better prospects?
He’s not going to OSU.

I think OSU wouldn't have been as good with Martell as it was with Fields, obviously. On the other hand, while at OSU Martell was reasonably good and Urban Meyer thought enough of him to actually work to get him reps in games where it really mattered. He was 20 for 28 in his last year at OSU. Not like OSU would have lost 4 games with Martell. He was extremely quick and could have been something of an approximation of JT Barrett who was not a very good passer but was a good runner.

Obviously it’s all hypothetical but osu doesn’t win the big ten with Martell based on what he showed after leaving. How Day recruits under those circumstances is likely different but that’s not how it played out so oh well.

Reactions: TheGLOV
Tonight is the first time since the process started that I am worried he will de-commit.

Why?? He is the type of QB MY wants for his system. Duel threat running QBs are out so TRob will be in the portal looking for an offense that matches his skills after the season. After Clifford we have one QB that matches what MY wants on the roster. Sounds like a great opportunity for Allar.

Why?? He is the type of QB MY wants for his system. Duel threat running QBs are out so TRob will be in the portal looking for an offense that matches his skills after the season. After Clifford we have one QB that matches what MY wants on the roster. Sounds like a great opportunity for Allar.
I don't know if a kid with that must upside is going to run to a team that continues to falter, has a rubbish line, a bull headed coach.

All I know if Ohio State had him as a recruit and they just lost at home to Illinois after putting up 250 yards of offense, I would be absolutely enraged Penn State didn't reach out.

• Haha
Reactions: Lion8286
I don't know if a kid with that must upside is going to run to a team that continues to falter, has a rubbish line, a bull headed coach.

All I know if Ohio State had him as a recruit and they just lost at home to Illinois after putting up 250 yards of offense, I would be absolutely enraged Penn State didn't reach out.
Yes, I’m sure he’d much rather go to OSU where he will sit for a minimum of three years….that’s the ticket. All because of a game we lost because we needed what he can bring to the team. I guess a high school pitching phenom wouldn’t go to a team because they needed pitching.

Yes, I’m sure he’d much rather go to OSU where he will sit for a minimum of three years….that’s the ticket. All because of a game we lost because we needed what he can bring to the team. I guess a high school pitching phenom wouldn’t go to a team because they needed pitching.
Stroud will be gone after '22.

Many believe that 2 of McCord, Miller or Ewers will transfer by next spring.

There's no question that Allar likely sees the field sooner at PSU. But if he's as good as advertised, he'd be able to compete for the OSU job in '23.

Reactions: dailybuck777
Stroud will be gone after '22.

Many believe that 2 of McCord, Miller or Ewers will transfer by next spring.

There's no question that Allar likely sees the field sooner at PSU. But if he's as good as advertised, he'd be able to compete for the OSU job in '23.
Maybe or maybe not.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT