ADVERTISEMENT

Dual Championship Series

Moose441

Gold Member
Dec 25, 2013
Can you guys help me out with this? I know this is installed to match 1 vs 2 and 3 vs 4. Is this a tournament or just one dual? It looks like it will be in Rec but will we not know the match up till the time comes? are the other teams going to be here to? I am just a tad confused on how this is working ha I know you guys have the answer so thought I'd post

It's not 1 vs 2, 3 vs 4, etc., and "no", a B1G team will not wrestle another B1G team. I've attached a link that describes everything, but here's the CliffsNotes;

1. The NWCA/USA Today Division I Team Coaches Poll is used.

2. The top-8 Big Ten Teams have home duals vs the 7 Dual Meet Conference Champs from the ACC, Big12, EIWA, EWL, MAC, PAC-12, Southern Conference, plus 1 at-large selection.

3. The match-ups are;
the highest ranked B1G team vs the highest ranked non-B1G team
the 2nd highest ranked B1G team vs the 2nd highest ranked non-B1G team
etc., etc., etc.

4. As noted, all matches are at Big Ten venues, and will be a single match (this is not a bracketed format)

http://www.nwcaonline.com/nwcawebsite/Events/national-duals_di_duals_series

And here's the latest rankings...long way to go...

http://www.nwcaonline.com/NWCAWebSite/DICollegeTeamRankings.aspx

Can you guys help me out with this? I know this is installed to match 1 vs 2 and 3 vs 4. Is this a tournament or just one dual? It looks like it will be in Rec but will we not know the match up till the time comes? are the other teams going to be here to? I am just a tad confused on how this is working ha I know you guys have the answer so thought I'd post

First, It's not exactly 1 vs. 2, 3 vs. 4, etc. It's the top B1G team vs the top non-B1G team, the 2nd B1G team vs the 2nd non-B1G team, etc.

Second, it's not a tournament. It's a series of one-time duals, with no additional competitions based upon the results of the duals.

PSU's involvement in the NWCA National Duals is that they are wrestling at Rec Hall. That is assured. The only other team at PSU/Rec Hall will be PSU's opponent in the National Duals The other duals will be taking place at the respective B1G arenas.

As for PSU's opponent, that's a tad more convoluted. The pool is the top 7 non-B1G teams that win their conference dual meet championships, plus 1 wild-card team (i.e., a team that doesn't win their conference championship). I believe they are then stacked by their ranking in the NWCA poll as of Feb. 14th to determine who they face (top B1G team in NWCA poll vs top stacked non-B1G conference dual champ, etc.)

If you go by this week's poll, and assume that these schools would win their conference dual meet championship, here's how the non-B1G teams are stacked in the NWCA poll.

1. NC State
2. Missouri
3. Oklahoma State
4. Lehigh
5. Oklahoma
6. Virginia Tech
7. Iowa State
8. North Carolina
9. Cornell
10. Virginia

Could they scratch the B10 vs the world setup & match up PSU vs Iowa for the Dual Title?

no

If you go by this week's poll, and assume that these schools would win their conference dual meet championship, here's how the non-B1G teams are stacked in the NWCA poll.

1. NC State
2. Missouri
3. Oklahoma State
4. Lehigh
5. Oklahoma
6. Virginia Tech
7. Iowa State
8. North Carolina
9. Cornell
10. Virginia

Sorry Tom, for stealing part of your post.

Assuming the selections were today, and Oklahoma is the at-large choice based on the fact they are the highest ranked "2nd Place" conference team, here's the 8 that would go;

1. NC State (ACC)
2. Missouri (MAC)
3. Oklahoma State (Big12)
4. Lehigh (EIWA)
5. Oklahoma (Big12, at-large)
6. Oregon State (Pac-12)
7. Appalachian State (SoCon)
8. Edinboro (EWL)

Sorry Tom, for stealing part of your post.

not a problem. I took a lot of time re-working my answer (which is why it was posted so long after yours). in doing so, I just listed the top non-B1G schools, but since the schools have to win their conference dual meet championship, your list is a better than the one I posted.

Could they scratch the B10 vs the world setup & match up PSU vs Iowa for the Dual Title?
What you're advocating is:
1. 16+ teams schedule an otherwise unnecessary break in Feb to accommodate this event, in the hope that they might get invited.
2. Those teams incur the cost of traveling to State College, when they might have instead booked a home match or something closer.
3. Then the event ground rules change because some people don't like the regular season schedules of 2 teams.

What could possibly go wrong?

What you're advocating is:
1. 16+ teams schedule an otherwise unnecessary break in Feb to accommodate this event, in the hope that they might get invited.
2. Those teams incur the cost of traveling to State College, when they might have instead booked a home match or something closer.
3. Then the event ground rules change because some people don't like the regular season schedules of 2 teams.

What could possibly go wrong?
Obviously, I was not very clear.

I can see a scenario where PSU & Iowa are the only undefeated dual teams at the end of the season. My thought was to make Iowa the wild card so that there would be a #1 vs #2 match up. In this case, there would be 9 Big 10 teams participating.

Posted this on Scout, thought someone here might find it interesting too...since a post was started...

The NWCA Dual Championship Series

Here we are, January 12, and conference duals have now started in earnest for all D1 wrestling teams. Our final dual will be a home match in the Dual Championship Series, which is only 5 and a half weeks away, yet we are not even close to knowing our opponent. Remember, the NWCA Dual Meet Ranking will be used, and will determine who we wrestle. Each non-Big Ten Conference will send their dual meet champion, and there will be 1 at-large selection. We do know it will be in Rec Hall. Here’s the top non-Big Ten teams;

#3 North Carolina State (ACC)
NC State is the highest ranked team outside the Big Ten. They also have the most daunting schedule remaining of all the top non-Big Ten teams. They’re good, no doubt, with a win vs Oklahoma State on their resume, but can they continue their success against a gauntlet of very good opponents. If yes, they’ll surely face the top-ranked Big Ten team. If no, we’ll have to wait to see what other teams do.

Best Wins: Oklahoma State

Losses: None

Remaining top opponents: North Carolina, Nebraska, Virginia Tech, Missouri

#4 Missouri (MAC)
Riding a 35 dual meet win streak, Missouri, top-to-bottom, has a formidable line-up. Their remaining schedule is tough, and the match vs North Carolina State could determine the top non-Big Ten team. This could play out so many ways, it’s tough to make a prediction this early, but if they win out, they’ll surely be the top-ranked non-Big Ten team.

Best Wins: Ohio State, Cornell

Losses: None

Remaining top opponents: Oklahoma State, Oklahoma, NC State

# 5 Oklahoma State (Big 12)
The Cowboys have 2 losses already, but don’t count them out. If they can win against all 5 of the opponents listed below as their toughest remaining, they could be the top non-Big Ten team. Winning against Oklahoma (again) will earn them a spot in the Dual Championship Series as the Big 12 Conference Champ, but a loss or 2 against their other top opponents will likely prevent them from being Penn State’s opponent. I believe their remaining schedule is as daunting as NC State’s, but they have more firepower to pull it off.

Best Wins: Oklahoma

Losses: NC State, Iowa

Remaining top opponents: Missouri, Oklahoma, Cornell, North Carolina, Iowa State

#8 Lehigh (EIWA)
Would love to see a PA school at the top of the non-Big Ten list. Their remaining schedule does contain bouts with Cornell and PSU, but I won’t be predicting a victory against our Nittany Lions, so Lehigh looks to be a team that will have its participation determined by the Cornell dual on January 23rd. Win and they are surely the EIWA dual meet champ. Lose and that honor will go to Cornell. There is an outside chance that both could make the Dual Championship Series (with one being an at-large selection), but I see no way either will be in the top-2 of the non-Big Ten teams.

Best Wins: Oklahoma

Losses: Nebraska

Remaining top opponents: Cornell, Penn State

#9 Oklahoma (Big 12)
At currently the 5th highest non-Big Ten team, Oklahoma may not make the Dual Championship Series. Their 2 losses (Oklahoma State and Lehigh) were blowouts, and they must wrestle consecutive matches against Iowa State, Missouri, and Oklahoma State later this season. The best it appears they can hope for is the lone at-large selection that will be made. Regardless, no way they can be Penn State’s opponent, regardless of what happens.

Best Wins: Rutgers, Michigan

Losses: Oklahoma State, Lehigh

Remaining top opponents: Iowa State, Missouri, Oklahoma State

#12 Virginia Tech (ACC)
With 2 losses, one might think they’re out of the picture to be the highest ranked non-Big Ten school. Au contraire. With a match-up against NC State in their future, and the tough remaining schedules of the teams in front of them, there is a glimmer of hope. The recent loss to Iowa State was a killer, but if they win their against North Carolina, and NC State, and a little help, they can get to the top. This is a team, however, that I’d rather not face, as we met them earlier this season.

Best Wins: Iowa State

Losses: Penn State, Iowa State

Remaining top opponents: North Carolina, NC State

#14 Iowa State (Big 12)
At currently the 7th highest non-Big Ten team, Iowa State looks to be on the verge of missing the Dual Championship Series. Victories against both Oklahoma and Oklahoma State would clinch it, but they’re outmanned, especially against Oklahoma State, and both matches are away. Stranger things have happened, but not this time, imo.

Best Wins: Virginia Tech

Losses: Virginia Tech, Iowa

Remaining top opponents: Oklahoma, Oklahoma State

#15 North Carolina (ACC)
The 8th highest non-Big Ten team is also the 3rd highest ACC team. The only way they can make it to the Dual Championship Series is to beat both Virginia Tech and NC State and earn the ACC’s spot. Not likely.

Best Wins: None

Losses: Rutgers

Remaining top opponents: Virginia Tech, NC State, Oklahoma State

#16 Cornell (EIWA)
At currently the 9th highest non-Big Ten team, Cornell, with 3 losses, may miss the Dual Championship Series. They need a victory against Lehigh on January 23rd to be the EIWA representative, or hope for the lone at-large selection.

Best Wins: None

Losses: Nebraska, Rutgers, Missouri

Remaining top opponents: Lehigh, Oklahoma State

EWL, PAC-12, and SoCon
The dual meet champ for these 3 conferences will earn spots in the NWCA Dual Championship Series. None have teams currently ranked in the top-25. The at-large selection will not come from these conferences, so only the champ gets in. My guesses, right now;

EWL – Edinboro

PAC-12 – Oregon State (maybe Arizona State, if they win the January 29 dual)

SoCon – Appalachian St (maybe Tenn-Chattanooga , if they win the February 5 dual)

Reactions: tikk10
Oregon State and Appalachian State are ranked this week for the Pac-12 and SoCon in the coaches poll.

Chattanooga has been receiving votes. UTC-App State will likely be a "winner-take-all" dual, which was kind of the idea behind some of the National Duals concept.

Reactions: RoarLions1
Obviously, I was not very clear.

I can see a scenario where PSU & Iowa are the only undefeated dual teams at the end of the season. My thought was to make Iowa the wild card so that there would be a #1 vs #2 match up. In this case, there would be 9 Big 10 teams participating.
No, I understood you loud and clear. You're asking to change the rules, which would require one of the following:
1. Invite Iowa as the "wild card," This means inviting one more middle-of-the-pack B10 team instead of a worthy team from another conference. Wisconsin comes, Virginia Tech or Lehigh or Oklahoma or Central Michigan/Kent State (etc) stays home.

2. Don't change the invitation list, but stack the deck so that the best 2 out of NC State, Missouri, Oklahoma State, and Cornell no longer get to face PSU or Iowa, despite earning that right according to the rules everybody agreed to in advance.

This will destroy the event. Trust is hard to build, easy to lose.

Reactions: redblades
No, I understood you loud and clear. You're asking to change the rules, which would require one of the following:
1. Invite Iowa as the "wild card," This means inviting one more middle-of-the-pack B10 team instead of a worthy team from another conference. Wisconsin comes, Virginia Tech or Lehigh or Oklahoma or Central Michigan/Kent State (etc) stays home.

2. Don't change the invitation list, but stack the deck so that the best 2 out of NC State, Missouri, Oklahoma State, and Cornell no longer get to face PSU or Iowa, despite earning that right according to the rules everybody agreed to in advance.

This will destroy the event. Trust is hard to build, easy to lose.

I couldn't agree more. It might not be the best make up for determining a "champion" but that is what NCAAs and Big Tens are for. This provides one more great dual for each top team and eight more great duals for college wrestling. Enjoy the good matchups.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT