ADVERTISEMENT

Facundo #5 in Flo rankings

Isn’t that just called defense? I’m actually with the Iowa boys on this one. His job is to handfight, play defense, and not take any bad shots. Keep it close as long as possible and not give up bonus. If he does that it’s a win for Iowa in the dual. It’s what everyone is hoping and praying Steen can do even though we know that’s not likely.
You know I usually like your posts, but . . . in this case, I disagree a tad. IMO, the importance of the dual cannot be allowed to ovverride the importance of a match for an individual. Coaches do a disservice to their guys if it is implied their job is to do anything for anyone other than themselves. Nelson’s job is to work his ass off to figure out how to beat every guy that toes the line opposite him.

It’s too bad for him, though, that he doesn’t have the best support to get that done. 😉

You know I usually like your posts, but . . . in this case, I disagree a tad. IMO, the importance of the dual cannot be allowed to ovverride the importance of a match for an individual. Coaches do a disservice to their guys if it is implied their job is to do anything for anyone other than themselves. Nelson’s job is to work his ass off to figure out how to beat every guy that toes the line opposite him.

It’s too bad for him, though, that he doesn’t have the best support to get that done. 😉
I feel like Tom could tell him to be aggressive and get to his offense and he won’t. Kind of like Murin against guys equal to or better than him. For some reason these guys can talk about getting to their offense but then they don’t do it on the mat.

Isn’t that just called defense? I’m actually with the Iowa boys on this one. His job is to handfight, play defense, and not take any bad shots. Keep it close as long as possible and not give up bonus. If he does that it’s a win for Iowa in the dual. It’s what everyone is hoping and praying Steen can do even though we know that’s not likely.

No, you are not allowed to wrestle in an exclusively "Defensive" fashion according to the actual rulebook.

Reactions: ccdiver

You are right. I think what I was trying to say and didn’t really at all is that this is how Nelson wrestles every match. Handfight, plays defense, and keeps it close while hoping to get a late td to win the match. That’s against competition that is definitely inferior to Starocci so if he is able to do that in this match I think it’s a win in terms of the dual. As a fan I would rather he go out and open up and try to win but that’s a hard ask for a lot of guys including our own BB and Facundo who have gotten used to wrestling and winning a certain way

Reactions: slushhead
You are right. I think what I was trying to say and didn’t really at all is that this is how Nelson wrestles every match. Handfight, plays defense, and keeps it close while hoping to get a late td to win the match. That’s against competition that is definitely inferior to Starocci so if he is able to do that in this match I think it’s a win in terms of the dual. As a fan I would rather he go out and open up and try to win but that’s a hard ask for a lot of guys including our own BB and Facundo who have gotten used to wrestling and winning a certain way

Doesn't matter if this is how he wrestles every match. And your generalization about others wrestling the same way is completely inappropriate to how the Rules are actually applied. "Hand fighting" does not constitute an Offensive Attack. Stalling (i.e., wrestling in a purely defensive mode with the sole purpose being to prevent your opponent from scoring) is determined RELATIVE to what your opponent is doing. If you have gone through a half of the 1st Period and there have been 5 bonafide offensive attacks and 1 wrestler has made 100% of the attacks while the other wrestler has aggressively hand-fought and played defense, that is without question Stalling. Please show me all these Beau Bartlett matches this year where Beau's opponent has outshot him in a lopsided fashion and Beau has simply played defense...... then stole the match at the end. I don't remember those. Ignoring what the opponent is doing (especially from Neutral) renders your examples irrelevant.

I feel like Tom could tell him to be aggressive and get to his offense and he won’t. Kind of like Murin against guys equal to or better than him. For some reason these guys can talk about getting to their offense but then they don’t do it on the mat.
Well, my point was more about what Nelson’s job is on the mat. It’s not to stall or be obstructionist to minimize PSU points. It’s to wrestle a match that best enables himself to make progress toward March.

Same goes for Steen.

Doesn't matter if this is how he wrestles every match. And your generalization about others wrestling the same way is completely inappropriate to how the Rules are actually applied. "Hand fighting" does not constitute an Offensive Attack. Stalling (i.e., wrestling in a purely defensive mode with the sole purpose being to prevent your opponent from scoring) is determined RELATIVE to what your opponent is doing. If you have gone through a half of the 1st Period and there have been 5 bonafide offensive attacks and 1 wrestler has made 100% of the attacks while the other wrestler has aggressively hand-fought and played defense, that is without question Stalling. Please show me all these Beau Bartlett matches this year where Beau's opponent has outshot him in a lopsided fashion and Beau has simply played defense...... then stole the match at the end. I don't remember those. Ignoring what the opponent is doing (especially from Neutral) renders your examples irrelevant.
Live feed from Bushwood’s house

Last edited:
Well, my point was more about what Nelson’s job is on the mat. It’s not to stall or be obstructionist to minimize PSU points. It’s to wrestle a match that best enables himself to make progress toward March.

Same goes for Steen.

There's a difference between wrestling cautiously / conservatively and blatant stalling. Typically, your opponent can put tremendous pressure on the Official to call stalling - if a superior opponent fires off bonafide offensive attacks, and keeps firing them off even after being stalemated, it should only be a matter of time before opponent called for stalling (an Official will start asking for "action" from the offending wrestler - will say "action red" [or green]...). This puts pressure on offending wrestler to shoot as wrestler realizes a Stall call is likely coming.

I wasn’t responding to you or your take on the rules bushwood

Starocci via major decision. Book it.
Brooks used to make Nelson cry after their matches and Brooks is a nice guy! Carter is a mean guy. He will be looking to do major damage on the main stage at home Friday!!! Prediction Nelson will get abused AGAIN and will be crying as he leaves the mat!

going to be extremely funny watching starocci win 5-2 after all these "meat-grinder" predictions.
People laughed when I said Dean was going to brutalize Warner on top.

A very motivated Starocci hammered Hidlay 9-3 last year. I’m not putting a major past him.

Reactions: Hoosier Lion
So you admit that Brands strategy will be to not get majored, instead of trying to win the match. I agree. :cool:
Which if true is silly. The goal during the season is to get better for the post season. Sure dual wins matter, but the NCAA tourney is the prize.

Brooks used to make Nelson cry after their matches and Brooks is a nice guy! Carter is a mean guy. He will be looking to do major damage on the main stage at home Friday!!! Prediction Nelson will get abused AGAIN and will be crying as he leaves the mat!
this…didn’t happen??? what world do you guys live in. it’s weird.

• Haha
Reactions: jmadden1998

Same goes for Steen.
Yeah, exactly. This is why this whole argument is dumb. His job isn’t to blatantly stall, it’s to wrestle as best he can. If he’s wrestling an opponent who is great defensively, he can’t just shoot willy nilly, he has to make sure his shot is set up to penetrate the opponent’s defense, which means he’s not going to shoot a lot against Starocci because Starocci is not going to give him many openings to shoot in the first place. Who is stalling then? The answer is neither, of course.

Yeah, exactly. This is why this whole argument is dumb. His job isn’t to blatantly stall, it’s to wrestle as best he can. If he’s wrestling an opponent who is great defensively, he can’t just shoot willy nilly, he has to make sure his shot is set up to penetrate the opponent’s defense, which means he’s not going to shoot a lot against Starocci because Starocci is not going to give him many openings to shoot in the first place. Who is stalling then? The answer is neither, of course.
See McIntosh trying to beat Cox in the final. See the opposite, Brooks trying to beat Nickal. In this case, everyone is all puckered up about the claim Carter will major Brands. He certainly can.

But if the goal is to win the dual, why wouldn’t you expect him to disengage, likely stall, to keep it close? Maybe even hope a mistake is made by Carter? Better wrestlers than Carter have made a mistake and lost.

Seems like a lot of aggression on this thread over that match.

As to Facundo, I find it curious he is 5 in a brutal weight class while Haines is outside #10 in a wide open class…and in many ways, looks better. But….yikes….I just applied eye test!! Sorry. My bad.

See McIntosh trying to beat Cox in the final. See the opposite, Brooks trying to beat Nickal. In this case, everyone is all puckered up about the claim Carter will major Brands. He certainly can.

But if the goal is to win the dual, why wouldn’t you expect him to disengage, likely stall, to keep it close? Maybe even hope a mistake is made by Carter? Better wrestlers than Carter have made a mistake and lost.

As to Facundo, I find it curious he is 5 in a brutal weight class while Haines is outside #10 in a wide open class…and in many ways, looks better. But….yikes….I just applied eye test!! Sorry. My bad.
I have them both 8-12 until their body of works grow. Haines looks more impressive, but Facundo is just so hard to score on, as is (Haines). Long way to go.

Reactions: ccdiver
No, you are not allowed to wrestle in an exclusively "Defensive" fashion according to the actual rulebook.
Are you going to accept the offer and put up the 10.00? Wrestling for Life wins either way. Come on....you can't possibly lose to the "biggest tool on this board"........Wrestling for Life is begging for his money :)

Reactions: CSauertiegPSU
Are you going to accept the offer and put up the 10.00? Wrestling for Life wins either way. Come on....you can't possibly lose to the "biggest tool on this board"........Wrestling for Life is begging for his money :)
2c5625c5-f8f3-44dc-abf4-f0bdb23d9576_text.gif

As a former wrestler and coach I agree with this completely. I was never told to quit trying to score when I competed, yet I became very defensive and afraid when I knew an opponent was better than me. It is human nature I'm afraid. All wrestlers look pretty aggressive when wrestling guys they are clearly better than and look very defensive when they know they are the bug rather than the shoe.

The difference right now is that Facundo got his first signature win against Amine last weekend, but Haines doesn’t have one yet. He looked great against Model, but he’s not a top ten opponent like Amine is. It’ll come for Haines eventually. I agree that it is Haines who has a much better chance of winning or being a high AA in March because of the relative depth of the respective classes. I guess “ducking” Hamiti worked! LOL

Reactions: Cowbell Man
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT