ADVERTISEMENT

fC: San Jose State not going back to campus in fall. Psu plays San Diego state

Because if you announce in May, you are precluding the possibility of having classes on campus in the fall.

You are assuming there is no way that there will be on campus classes in the fall. We have no way of knowing that at this point.

It is possible there will be no one on campus for fall semester. But if is also possible that classes start on time in September. Since there is no way of knowing, why make the decision now that you are canceling classes?

Its possible they have very large contracts with vendors that contain penalties if they cancel on short notice and they've decided those risks aren't palatable.

If PSU cancels live classes in August after kids sign leases, don't enroll elsewhere, faculty accepts job offers, turn down job offers, buy homes, etc I'm sure they'll all appreciate that the admin waited vs giving them opportunities to make alternative arrangements or hold off on making decisions of their own.

It's also not clear to me why the mantra appears to be "We cannot have sports without student athletes on campus"?

The metric should be "athletes are student athletes so long as they are doing the same coursework as non-athletes". If the rest of the student body is completely fall coursework entirely online, then there is no reason that student athletes couldn't do the same.
You don't understand because it is not logical or rational. If you start understanding Mark Emmert, well, then you may have a problem!

Reactions: PSU2UNC and bison13
Its possible they have very large contracts with vendors that contain penalties if they cancel on short notice and they've decided those risks aren't palatable.

If PSU cancels live classes in August after kids sign leases, don't enroll elsewhere, faculty accepts job offers, turn down job offers, buy homes, etc I'm sure they'll all appreciate that the admin waited vs giving them opportunities to make alternative arrangements or hold off on making decisions of their own.
Why is it that you DON'T want on campus classes in the fall?

Look, these are unusual times. Vendor contracts (assuming they don't already have clauses in them for emergency situations) can be re-negotiated. If you were a vendor, would you rather lose a $50 million contract for sure right now, or keep the possibility of that income open as long as possible?

It is way to early to be cancelling anything 3.5 months from now.

Reactions: ThePennsyOracle
Why is it that you DON'T want on campus classes in the fall?

Look, these are unusual times. Vendor contracts (assuming they don't already have clauses in them for emergency situations) can be re-negotiated. If you were a vendor, would you rather lose a $50 million contract for sure right now, or keep the possibility of that income open as long as possible?

It is way to early to be cancelling anything 3.5 months from now.

I’m not against it at all. I’m just against being obtuse and acting as if there isn’t a single reason why being proactive and cancelling them now has no benefits vs cancelling later.

As far as vendors, I’ve got several Fortune 500 clients that have one vendor letting them know their subsidy can either increase 50% to offset the lower office populations they’ve projected post covid or they’re terminating the contract/refusing service until populations reach pre-covid levels. These are multi-million dollar contracts.

I’m not against it at all. I’m just against being obtuse and acting as if there isn’t a single reason why being proactive and cancelling them now has no benefits vs cancelling later.

As far as vendors, I’ve got several Fortune 500 clients that have one vendor letting them know their subsidy can either increase 50% to offset the lower office populations they’ve projected post covid or they’re terminating the contract/refusing service until populations reach pre-covid levels. These are multi-million dollar contracts.
I'm not saying there isn't a single reason; I'm saying that holistically the benefits of cancelling now are far outweighed by the costs. It is far too early to make a decision.

I'm not saying there isn't a single reason; I'm saying that holistically the benefits of cancelling now are far outweighed by the costs. It is far too early to make a decision.

You don't know that is what I'm saying. Unless you've got access to their books.

Its possible the costs of cancelling later are far steeper than cancelling now and when looking at those costs and the probability of ultimately cancelling they decided the benefits of waiting aren't worth the risk.

Going extreme, if cancelling in August guarantees bankruptcy and cancelling now guarantees solvency for the next 12 months and there's a 50/50 shot you end up cancelling then cancelling now is the prudent decision.

Last edited:
You don't know that is what I'm saying. Unless you've got access to their books.

Its possible the costs of cancelling later are far steeper than cancelling now and when looking at those costs and the probability of ultimately cancelling they decided the benefits of waiting aren't worth the risk.

Going extreme, if cancelling in August guarantees bankruptcy and cancelling now guarantees solvency for the next 12 months and there's a 50/50 shot you end up cancelling then cancelling now is the prudent decision.
I agree with your hypothetical math, but I sincerely doubt that is the case (or even close to the case). If you somehow have insider information about PSU's book (or CSU's books since that was originally what this post was about) please share. Otherwise, I am pretty confident in saying that choosing to forgo tuition/room&board $$ for fall semester would be a huge problem for most universities.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT