ADVERTISEMENT

Franklin and FSU

I think Greg Roman was a name many of us wanted before Franklin got here.
We can probably put that name to rest. He's currently killing it with the Ravens and is probably working himself into a NFL HC gig.
I was a proponent of interviewing Roman. Not sure he was the man for the job, but was worth looking at him. Nothing I've seen since has convinced me he would have been a better choice then JF, but who knows.

Reactions: BBrown
I was a proponent of interviewing Roman. Not sure he was the man for the job, but was worth looking at him. Nothing I've seen since has convinced me he would have been a better choice then JF, but who knows.

Agree but he's done a remarkable job with Lamar Jackson. And his offense is fun to watch.

Agree but he's done a remarkable job with Lamar Jackson. And his offense is fun to watch.
That's a tricky one. Not sure if it's coach making the player that much better, or an incredible athlete figuring it out. Much the same as he looked in college.

I will say, Roman seems to know how to run an offense with a mobile QB. Anyone who thinks that Kapernick is really just an average-at-best QB would have to agree. Would have been interesting with Trace and Clifford.

That's a tricky one. Not sure if it's coach making the player that much better, or an incredible athlete figuring it out. Much the same as he looked in college.

I will say, Roman seems to know how to run an offense with a mobile QB. Anyone who thinks that Kapernick is really just an average-at-best QB would have to agree. Would have been interesting with Trace and Clifford.

JMO but I think its coaching. Jackson had horrible accuracy and was a fumble machine.
Now Lamar probably got the fumbling issues figured out but I credit Roman with the accuracy improvement.

No, they are not that bad. He just wanted what Clemson, Bama Etc had instantly. He didn't want to wait a couple years. They are breaking ground on a $65 million dollar football only facility after this season ends.

We have good facilities, just not stuff like music studios, giant slides, and lazy rivers to impress recruits with. These are the things Jimbo wanted.

and yes, we have a $15 million dollar indoor practice field. we have had it since 2013.

Heres a ranking from 247 from 2019 and 2018:

https://247sports.com/LongFormArtic...lemson-Oklahoma-Texas-126107528/#126107528_17

https://247sports.com/college/kentu...lege-football-for-2018-112072412/#112072412_4
Pay up.

Taggarts buyout is already accounted for in private donations. This is a push expedite the stand alone facility, a Bama/Clemson sized shadow coaching staff(30+ analysts), and the funds for the "bag-man". This is nothing to be embarrassed about, this is the University basically saying: "we're here to play elite big boy ball". Its a presidents job to do what in the best interest for the university, and in this case it is asking the boosters to up their donations. I'd be more embarrassed if they were not willing to keep up with the elite, and just became complacent.

Taggarts buyout is already accounted for in private donations. This is a push expedite the stand alone facility, a Bama/Clemson sized shadow coaching staff(30+ analysts), and the funds for the "bag-man". This is nothing to be embarrassed about, this is the University basically saying: "we're here to play elite big boy ball". Its a presidents job to do what in the best interest for the university, and in this case it is asking the boosters to up their donations. I'd be more embarrassed if they were not willing to keep up with the elite, and just became complacent.

Hate to agree with a Nole fan, but I do agree. FSU wants big boy football and will stop at nothing now. Penn State should take notes, or be thrilled to win 9-10 games a year, either is acceptable.

Hate to agree with a Nole fan, but I do agree. FSU wants big boy football and will stop at nothing now. Penn State should take notes, or be thrilled to win 9-10 games a year, either is acceptable.
Take notes....have a coach fail and hire a new one. That isn't just an FSU thing...just in case you didn't know. OOOOOh, because PSU didn't win a MNC yet with Franklin....they cannot ever. I get it...cool story.

Take notes....have a coach fail and hire a new one. That isn't just an FSU thing...just in case you didn't know. OOOOOh, because PSU didn't win a MNC yet with Franklin....they cannot ever. I get it...cool story.
Yeah, if I'm a head coach I'm going to a school that's looking for their 3rd head coach in 4 years. But hey, the boosters are shelling out mega bucks to fix it all. What could go wrong there? :rolleyes: SMH

Oh, maybe I was misunderstood. I love Franklin and want him here long term, I am not suggesting ridding ourselves of good coaches, that has not been a model that has worked in a lot of places. I am merely suggesting that unless you have players on steroids(clemson), you are giving out money to players(OSU, BAMA, LSU, ETC) you are being unethical and gray shirting kids you have no use for anymore(BAMA), you are rescinding offers to kids that have committed because you found a better recruit(MICH) and your college is willing to look the other way on academics while pumping enormous sums of money into the football program and coaching staff you are going to have a really really tough time winning this thing in this climate. I love Franklin, I am A-Okay with 10 wins a year my man. I know you are a staunch Franklin supporter.

Why would he leave PSU is a better job then FSU. The Noles faculties are lacking
Their faculty has been getting better (especially since they got rid of Barron); however, their facilities still need a whole lot of work!

This means next to nothing except that FSU is interested in Franklin.

Duh. Any major P5 program with an opening will be interested in Franklin.

Until there is any smoke that interest is mutual, this is a non story.
Haven't read the entire stream but being in FL can offer comments from FL newspapers. Franklin is FSU's #1 target. FSU is soliciting high profile donors to increase pledges by 20% for a new coach and upgraded facilities. Further the article mentions Franklin's low buy out, but also the 17M due ousted coach Taggart. FSU feels Franklin has created excellent FL recruiting ties and mentioned the two verbally committed RB's from FL. Went on to add FSU feels Franklin can flip a number of his recruits.

I guess this is where I fundamentally disagree.

Pour money into assistant coaches and facilities, sure. This is how it is.

But I'm never okay with going the bag man route. Just one man's personal opinion. I realize I'm naive and hopelessly out-of-touch, but I'd prefer we do things the right way (or rather, a better way than most).

I guess this is where I fundamentally disagree.

Pour money into assistant coaches and facilities, sure. This is how it is.

But I'm never okay with going the bag man route. Just one man's personal opinion. I realize I'm naive and hopelessly out-of-touch, but I'd prefer we do things the right way (or rather, a better way than most).

I respect that. But unfortunately you most likely will never win a title with recruiting classes outside the top 5 in today’s CFB. Not a jab towards PSU in anyway, just the way things are now. As you can see over the past few years you need either old cotton money or South Carolina mega-church money to win. Lol

Reactions: step.eng69
Careful what you wish for. If Franklin leaves, the person making the hire is Sandy Barbour.

Haven't read the entire stream but being in FL can offer comments from FL newspapers. Franklin is FSU's #1 target. FSU is soliciting high profile donors to increase pledges by 20% for a new coach and upgraded facilities. Further the article mentions Franklin's low buy out, but also the 17M due ousted coach Taggart. FSU feels Franklin has created excellent FL recruiting ties and mentioned the two verbally committed RB's from FL. Went on to add FSU feels Franklin can flip a number of his recruits.
Hypothetically speaking...

If you are currently a successful black head coach who is in contention for conference championships and CFP position into November at your current job...

Why would you leave that job to go someplace where they ran the last black head coach out of town after a year and a half????

Hypothetically speaking...

If you are currently a successful black head coach who is in contention for conference championships and CFP position into November at your current job...

Why would you leave that job to go someplace where they ran the last black head coach out of town after a year and a half????
Because you dont view it as the ran their last BLACK coach off. You view it as their last COACH underperformed and proved a very bad fit right away.

Reactions: Section44
I wouldn't blame CJF for deciding that this whiny fanbase isn't worth putting up with.

I would blame some of the people here, though.

I don’t think going to a fan base where little kids setup lemonade stands to drum up money to pay for a coaches buyout so they can fire him is an upgrade. Especially when that coach had only coached about 16 games.

Sounds like a perfectly sane group of fans.

Reactions: PSUFBFAN
Franklin’s not going to FSU.

Reactions: artsandletters
Harbaugh's struggles scare me off from the NFL route, ideas flow from the lower levels up in football so I think it's tough to go down a level.

I agree that Rhule is unproven, but assuming Franklin leaves he's the best realistic option there is, and he could very well knock it out of the park.

He also presumably would want to be at PSU which would be an improvement from where we're at right now
What makes you think Franklin doesn’t want the PS job? You need to slow down, sonny.

My thinking has progressed slightly in the CJF to anywhere else saga. I realize if he wants to go, there’s no keeping him here. I’ve always believed that our alumni group and fan base are a very well informed in-the-know group and generally the consensus within the group rules the day. My sense is a great majority wants him to say.

That said, I’ve read posts talking about Fumi and bad real estate deals. I’ve read about some dissatisfaction from CJF’s family and assistants. This is when Athletic Directors earn their money. Either the rumors are quelled because they can be, or we lose him to at best a comparable program for reasons beyond our control. If it can be fixed, it BETTER be fixed. If it can’t be fixed, the AD better have an unassailable reason for the loss.

There will be calls for her head as a result of the shortcoming, as it should be, and all of us who are stakeholders will Intensify the chorus. There are very few defining moments in an ADs career, this is one of them. Better line up your verifiable reasons, otherwise you’re the next one out the door—and for Gods sake do yourself a favor and lock down a minimum 6 years. You don’t want to revisit this charade in another year.

Reactions: PSUFBFAN
My thinking has progressed slightly in the CJF to anywhere else saga. I realize if he wants to go, there’s no keeping him here. I’ve always believed that our alumni group and fan base are a very well informed in-the-know group and generally the consensus within the group rules the day. My sense is a great majority wants him to say.

That said, I’ve read posts talking about Fumi and bad real estate deals. I’ve read about some dissatisfaction from CJF’s family and assistants. This is when Athletic Directors earn their money. Either the rumors are quelled because they can be, or we lose him to at best a comparable program for reasons beyond our control. If it can be fixed, it BETTER be fixed. If it can’t be fixed, the AD better have an unassailable reason for the loss. There will be calls for her head as a result of the shortcoming, as it should be, and all of us who are stakeholders will Intensify the chorus. There are very few defining moments in an ADs career, this is one of them.

If USC really wants him over Urban Meyer (which I cannot really fathom), then I think he might leave.

He is not likely to leave for FSU. That would be a stupid move.

That said, I’ve read posts talking about Fumi and bad real estate deals. I’ve read about some dissatisfaction from CJF’s family and assistants. This is when Athletic Directors earn their money. Either the rumors are quelled because they can be, or we lose him to at best a comparable program for reasons beyond our control. If it can be fixed, it BETTER be fixed. If it can’t be fixed, the AD better have an unassailable reason for the loss.

There will be calls for her head as a result of the shortcoming, as it should be, and all of us who are stakeholders will Intensify the chorus. There are very few defining moments in an ADs career, this is one of them. Better line up your verifiable reasons, otherwise you’re the next one out the door—and for Gods sake do yourself a favor and lock down a minimum 6 years. You don’t want to revisit this charade in another year.

Well said, and how about a buyout that actual has some teeth as part of the deal? We keep getting bullied into low buyouts(see BOB) whereas the only reason the coach wants a low buyout is so he can, cough cough....leave. Let's give Franklin the moon, assuming we want to play with the big dogs(I am not sure we do or don't actions to this point are ambiguous) and give Franklin a buyout that doesn't scream "Third tier Football team!." If Franklin when presented with riches and pay increased for his assistants in addition to facility upgrades that include a water slide twice that of Clemson's, he STILL wants a low buyout? Then I'd tell him and his agent to pack their bags and head off. That will be the tell tale sign if he wants to be here or not, don't promise the moon for a lack of loyalty, that is how you really get bit.

Reactions: marisa45
Well said, and how about a buyout that actual has some teeth as part of the deal? We keep getting bullied into low buyouts(see BOB) whereas the only reason the coach wants a low buyout is so he can, cough cough....leave. Let's give Franklin the moon, assuming we want to play with the big dogs(I am not sure we do or don't actions to this point are ambiguous) and give Franklin a buyout that doesn't scream "Third tier Football team!." If Franklin when presented with riches and pay increased for his assistants in addition to facility upgrades that include a water slide twice that of Clemson's, he STILL wants a low buyout? Then I'd tell him and his agent to pack their bags and head off. That will be the tell tale sign if he wants to be here or not, don't promise the moon for a lack of loyalty, that is how you really get bit.

I thought that O'Brien's buyout was actually sort of large, but Houston paid it anyway.

Franklin's is scary low.

If USC really wants him over Urban Meyer (which I cannot really fathom), then I think he might leave.

He is not likely to leave for FSU. That would be a stupid move.
Maybe but it’s not as simple as what he wants. It’s what she wants as well. I think we can all agree on that. If this administration hasn’t built a bulletproof relationship with his wife they’re not doing their job. Top 10 program and top 10 revenue is at stake. Sandy doesn’t get to any of her goals without a strong belief in the man running the football program. That in and of itself determines ultimate priority. You’re either on your game or you’re not. It can go downhill fast for her if she’s not careful is my point.

Maybe but it’s not as simple as what he wants. It’s what she wants as well. I think we can all agree on that. If this administration hasn’t built a bulletproof relationship with her they’re not doing their job. Top 10 program and top 10 revenue is at stake. Sandy doesn’t get to any of her goals without a strong belief in the man running the football program. That in and of itself determines ultimate priority. You’re either on your game or you’re not. It can go downhill fast if you’re not careful is my point.

I'm not sure I follow. Is the AD making her mad somehow?

If she just doesn't like living there, nothing can be done.

Still, James would be a moron to go to FSU. Even if he plans to leave, he could get a better situation than that one.

I thought that O'Brien's buyout was actually sort of large, but Houston paid it anyway.

Franklin's is scary low.

It was large then he did his annual negotiation after year one and after recieving more money he got them to drop the buyout from like 10 mil to 2 or 3 or something.

It was large then he did his annual negotiation after year one and after recieving more money he got them to drop the buyout from like 10 mil to 2 or 3 or something.

Ah, that may be but I seem to recollect that Houston paid a 6 or 7 million dollar buyout. I could be wrong.

Franklin's is scary low.

it was not all that large, especially if he went to the NFL. When BOB originally signed with PSU, the buyout was $13 M. His contract was reworked earlier in 2013, and the buyout was reduced to @ $6.5 M. The reworked contract buyout was, by contrast, @ $11.5 M if he left PSU for another college head coaching job.

Interestingly, the NFL buyout went down to @ $2.8 M in 2014. I believe BOB was introduced as the Texan's new coach on Jan 2, 2014.

Reactions: N&B4PSU
Ah, that may be but I seem to recollect that Houston paid a 6 or 7 million dollar buyout. I could be wrong.
I certainly could be too, I at minimum remember BOB's buyout being one of his priorities after year one, if not he/his agent's number 1 objective. Sort of tell you everything you need to know about if a guy is serious about sticking around.

Reactions: N&B4PSU
it was not all that large, especially if he went to the NFL. When BOB originally signed with PSU, the buyout was $13 M. His contract was reworked earlier in 2013, and the buyout was reduced to @ $6.5 M. The reworked contract buyout was, by contrast, @ $11.5 M if he left PSU for another college head coaching job.

Interestingly, the NFL buyout went down to @ $2.8 M in 2014. I believe BOB was introduced as the Texan's new coach on Jan 2, 2014.

Thanks Tom, there is that $3 million figure I recollect.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT