ADVERTISEMENT

Franklin and FSU

I certainly could be too, I at minimum remember BOB's buyout being one of his priorities after year one, if not he/his agent's number 1 objective. Sort of tell you everything you need to know about if a guy is serious about sticking around.

He was never going to stay here and Joyner knew it. I think Franklin was Joyner's target all along.

It had to be the consensus within AD circles that Maryland had completely blown it. DC talk radio was apoplectic about letting him go and hiring Edsall

He was never going to stay here and Joyner knew it. I think Franklin was Joyner's target all along.

It had to be the consensus within AD circles that Maryland had completely blown it. DC talk radio was apoplectic about letting him go and hiring Edsall

Its weird though listening to those Adam Brenneman podcasts(which are illuminating to say the least). The players and their parents were CONVINCED BOB was not leaving, to the point where they asked him everyday and he said no way no way, when he convinced them to come to penn state and stay with penn state he promised those kids 4 years. One guy said he heard his dad screaming at BOB when he took the texans job, "how could you do this to these kids, your promised Bill." All the players and their parents needed to pay attention to all along was his buyout and his exuberance to get it reduced as much as possible after his 1st year on the job. You simply don't do that if you plan to stick around. Yes, I am part of the FLO camp that thinks he was a disingenuous asshat irrespective of his coaching performance. Franklin's buyout is like a an 18 wheeler covered in blinking Christmas lights coming down a quiet one-way street.

Its weird though listening to those Adam Brenneman podcasts(which are illuminating to say the least). The players and their parents were CONVINCED BOB was not leaving, to the point where they asked him everyday and he said no way no way, when he convinced them to come to penn state and stay with penn state he promised those kids 4 years. One guy said he heard his dad screaming at BOB when he took the texans job, "how could you do this to these kids, your promised Bill." All the players and their parents needed to pay attention to all along was his buyout and his exuberance to get it reduced as much as possible after his 1st year on the job. You simply don't do that if you plan to stick around. Yes, I am part of the FLO camp that thinks he was a disingenuous asshat irrespective of his coaching performance. Franklin's buyout is like a an 18 wheeler covered in blinking Christmas lights coming down a quiet one-way street.

Trying to stir shit up again, you deny it and then start all over. Drama Queen

Trying to stir shit up again, you deny it and then start all over. Drama Queen

Huh? You dont have concerns about Franklin's buyout. I swear, you mention any concern on this board and you are a cry baby drama queen. I want franklin to stay for christ sake and a larger buyout would go a long way.

Reactions: grinagrin
Huh? You dont have concerns about Franklin's buyout. I swear, you mention any concern on this board and you are a cry baby drama queen. I want franklin to stay for christ sake and a larger buyout would go a long way.
The low buyout is either a guy that has no plans to leave so it doesn’t really matter or a guy that wants a quick and easy escape.

Reactions: BBrown and N&B4PSU

I'd say that every poster here agrees it's low but wtf does making post after post about it do? You're not pleased with this and you're not pleased about something else. Guess what, you don't have any control of it and I'm personally sick of hearing you act like a silly bitch

I'd say that every poster here agrees it's low but wtf does making post after post about it do? You're not pleased with this and you're not pleased about something else. Guess what, you don't have any control of it and I'm personally sick of hearing you act like a silly bitch
Ridiculous. And I personally dont give a shit what you are sick of hearing. It's a fu*king message board moron, if you dont like it, I'd advise you either dont read posts that upset your sensibilities or you put me on ignore. Tying to be an internet tough guy isnt going to do damn thing.

Reactions: IIVI and grinagrin
Ridiculous. And I personally dont give a shit what you are sick of hearing. It's a fu*king message board moron, if you dont like it, I'd advise you either dont read posts that upset your sensibilities or you put me on ignore. Tying to be an internet tough guy isnt going to do damn thing.
Adios!

He might have believed it when he said it. It seemed like something really went sour towards the end of his 2nd season. And clearly he viewed the Texans job as some kind of great stepping stone to NFL greatness. Plus he might have sized up the situation in the B1G and realized he was never winning a national title. He seems like a very egotistical person. He would bail if he thought he wasn't going to succeed.

I don't miss him at all, but I do not know how many other coaches could have gotten through 2012 and 2013 without a losing record.

Last edited:
Reactions: N&B4PSU and ram2020

Awwww, good for you, you figured out it's easier to ignore people than call them a silly bitch! So proud of you son, maybe now you can come out of your cave and aculturate with the rest of the world!

i agree. I don’t think it’s FSU, it’s probably USC. Just reading the tea leaves here but it’s been way too quiet. Franklin’s been quiet, the administration has been too quiet. Even the Ohio State presser felt strange. He was very careful with his wording. He clearly has a decision in front of him and it feels like he’s really considering it. Hope we’ve done all we can.

I certainly could be too, I at minimum remember BOB's buyout being one of his priorities after year one, if not he/his agent's number 1 objective. Sort of tell you everything you need to know about if a guy is serious about sticking around.

The irony is the initial contract was designed to be stacked in BOB’s favor in the event he wasn’t able to cobble together a decent team and failed tremendously on field. Since the opposite happened (in large part to Mauti and others) and he won Coach of the Year (despite losing to teams he should have beat), he tried to cash in as soon as possible. If not for the hefty buyout, he’s like gone after year one.

Reactions: ram2020
i agree. I don’t think it’s FSU, it’s probably USC. Just reading the tea leaves here but it’s been way too quiet. Franklin’s been quiet, the administration has been too quiet. Even the Ohio State presser felt strange. He was very careful with his wording. He clearly has a decision in front of him and it feels like he’s really considering it. Hope we’ve done what we can.

i agree. I don’t think it’s FSU, it’s probably USC. Just reading the tea leaves here but it’s been way too quiet. Franklin’s been quiet, the administration has been too quiet. Even the Ohio State presser felt strange. He was very careful with his wording. He clearly has a decision in front of him and it feels like he’s really considering it. Hope we’ve done what we can.
I agree I don't think he will go to FSU. That would be a lateral move at best. He would be trading Ohio State and Michigan for Clemson and Florida on the field each year. That's a wash - certainly no easier and if you can't get out of your own division, you probably won't make it to the CFP.

Recruiting - currently, he has to deal with OSU and Michigan along with some of the other national players, but PSU is still the big dog in PA, MD, Northern VA, NJ, and the entire New England corridor. At FSU, he would have to deal with LSU, Alabama, Auburn, FL, Georgia, and Clemson along with all the "bagman" activities that go along with recruiting in the SE. That's not any easier.

Facilities and money - it seems that FSU is behind the eight ball when it comes to facilities. Even if they improve, they are not pulling ahead of Clemson, UGA, Alabama, etc. Money - PSU can match anything that FSU can put together. At best, a wash again.

If he really wants to stay at PSU, I can certainly see him leveraging a FSU package to get whatever improvements he wants at PSU whether it be money, facilities, etc.

USC - I have no doubts that USC has already reached out to Urban Meyer. My uninformed guess is that he has told them no, he's not getting back into coaching. Franklin would probably be their second choice. But USC is in a bit of a bind here. They have to wait until Utah plays on Saturday night. If Utah loses, then USC goes to the conference championship the following week. Win or lose, will USC fire Helton after winning 5 of their last 6 games and taking them to the conference championship game? It would be unthinkable if they won and probably won't happen if they lose.

It is possible that there is really nothing PSU can do because Franklin and his wife have decided they want to raise their daughters somewhere else instead of State College, PA. So, there is nothing to do except wait until the USC situation resolves itself and Franklin decides to take that job if available, or he takes the FSU job if the USC job falls through.

One thing for sure, Franklin has to get this resolved within the next week.. He gave his famous speech after the OSU game last year about all the "little things". This is the second year in a row these types of rumors and stories have come up and he can't let this happen every year if he wants to move the program forward. The team hears it, his coaches hear it, and the recruits hear it. You can be sure that every coach recruiting against him uses it to put some doubt in the minds of recruits as to whether or not he will stay at PSU.

By this time next week, I expect Franklin will either officially be on his way to USC or FSU ... or ... there will be public announcement of a long term extension for him at PSU. I certainly hope it is the latter.

Odd that FSU did not sign Taggart's contract.

ETA today the word is there was no contract.

Last edited:
If JFF leaves for Florida State then so be it.....he wasn't the m
I don't know where he's going but I do think he is going. I think if he was going to stay he would have made that totally clear by now. I certainly hope he stays. I love the guy, but I am pessimistic.

I guess some on this board have never heard of leverage before. Why on earth would he voluntarily say he is staying without any kind of extension? That's just bad business.

If I were him I would agree to up the buyout to 10 million the next two years (when I think we will make a huge run at CFP), as long as I got almost everything I wanted to get in terms of salary, facilities, and assistant coaches salaries, etc...

He might have believed it when he said it. It seemed like something really went sour towards the end of his 2nd season. And clearly he viewed the Texans job as some kind of great stepping stone to NFL greatness. Plus he might have sized up the situation in the B1G and realized he was never winning a national title. He seems like a very egotistical person. He would bail if he thought he wasn't going to succeed.

I don't miss him at all, but I do not know how many other coaches could have gotten through 2012 and 2013 without a losing record.

I think there were a number of things that ultimately went into his decision...thought I read where Houston has one of the top medical facilities which was/is ideal for his younger son yes?

BOB came in hear and did his job...I'm sure working with Joyner and the BOT was no joy...he was a band aid trying to cover up a large wound...I'm sure his discussions di d not involve huge investments like upgraded facilities etc...? Like what is happening with many

I'll always like BOB...came in here during a very tough time brought on largely by the Boneheads who were our BOT at the time...and the Penn State vs Michigan game...for everything it represented will still go down as one of my favorite games ever while watching Penn State..

If JFF leaves for Florida State then so be it.....he wasn't the m

I guess some on this board have never heard of leverage before.
Why on earth would he voluntarily say he is staying without any kind of extension? That's just bad business.

If I were him I would agree to up the buyout to 10 million the next two years (when I think we will make a huge run at CFP), as long as I got almost everything I wanted to get in terms of salary, facilities, and assistant coaches salaries, etc...

A wise negotiator would use the media, and his desire to stay, to increase his leverage. I won't explain to you how this is accomplished, but I have seen it done effectively at a higher level than college football. Of course, the reason he may not use this tactic is that he intends to leave. We'll see.

The coach we currently have is one of them, IMO. But it’s not a large list.

Good lord this is amazing. If there’s a bunch of talk, that means he’s going. If it’s quiet, that means he’s going. He’s never said anything that would even hint that there’s anywhere he’d rather be than Penn State, yet posters on here already have him packing his bags. He’s not going to FSU and USC doesn’t even have an opening at this point. The only thing creating these discussions are sportswriters who keep linking his name with every opening in college football and some posters on here lap it up like starving dogs.

Good lord this is amazing. If there’s a bunch of talk, that means he’s going. If it’s quiet, that means he’s going. He’s never said anything that would even hint that there’s anywhere he’d rather be than Penn State, yet posters on here already have him packing his bags. He’s not going to FSU and USC doesn’t even have an opening at this point. The only thing creating these discussions are sportswriters who keep linking his name with every opening in college football and some posters on here lap it up like starving dogs.

You have to remember that posters = racists in the world of Penn State. They just want the black guy gone. @LaJolla Lion and @Nitt1300 taught me that

Apparently he needs to say he's staying at every press conference. :rolleyes:

Almost exactly one month ago this article was written. Perhaps he doesn't feel the need to talk about it every week when he's all about THE TEAM.

https://www.statecollege.com/news/l...in-his-wife-fumi-and-their-daughters,1481505/

well he is not going to USC it seems....
https://collegefootballtalk.nbcspor...y-helton-has-support-of-new-usc-ad-president/

REPORT: Clay Helton has support of new USC AD, president
By John TaylorNov 26, 2019, 9:53 AM EST)

“With win over rival UCLA, No. 23 USC keeps Pac-12 South hopes alive — and saves Clay Helton’s job?”

That was the question our headline from Saturday evening asked when it comes to the future of Helton at USC. Helton entered the 2019 campaign squarely on the hot seat, then proceeded to crank up the temperature even further with a 3-3 start to the season. Since then, however, the Trojans have gone 5-1 — the lone loss was to No. 7 Oregon — to take it from a near-certainty that the coach is canned to the very real possibility that he’s saved his job — or is at least on the verge of saving.

Helton’s fate will, in part, be decided by a pair of individuals new to the university in Carol Folt, hired as president in March, and Mike Bohn, brought on as the next athletic director earlier this month. And, according to Bruce Feldman of The Athletic, Helton has received “a lot of support” from both Bohn and Folt, although other factions who are anti-Helton make the path for a return in 2020 not entirely clear.

From 247Sports.com‘s transcription of Feldman’s Monday radio interview:

The biggest job out there and it’s also the most entangled is the one that’s happening at USC, I mean, from what I’ve been told … is just there’s a lot of support from the new AD Mike Bohn, as well as president Carol Folt, for Clay Helton,” Feldman said. “They’re very comfortable with him, but there is going to be a lot of push back from some very influential USC people about, ‘Hey, we’re done with Clay Helton. We like him as a guy, we just don’t think he can really get it going here and get it done.’ And they’re 8-4 and he actually did a good job of getting to 8-4, given all the injuries, third-string quarterback … but that’s the one that could create some dominoes, if USC does, in fact, open up.

USC’s regular season has come to an end, with the Trojans sitting at 7-2 in Pac-12 play. Utah currently leads the South Division at 7-1, but will face Colorado at home in Week 14. If the Utes lose, it would be the Trojans who would face Oregon in the Pac-12 championship game by virtue of their head-to-head win over Utah in September.

You are completely insane.
No he just needs attention like the little idiot he is. I believe the word we use for people like him is "slow adult". He cannot help himself and I made him feel like a fool I guess....wasn't really hard and he's butt hurt like the little b!tch that he is. Funny thing is if he isn't that guy....he sure is hung up about it. LOL

Last edited:
I respect that. But unfortunately you most likely will never win a title with recruiting classes outside the top 5 in today’s CFB. Not a jab towards PSU in anyway, just the way things are now. As you can see over the past few years you need either old cotton money or South Carolina mega-church money to win. Lol

Disagree. I think Top 10-15 consistently CAN do it. The difference between 5-15 is usually 1-2 players, or depth. If you are top 15 yearly - that is 10-15 5*/4* players minimum. Over 4 years that is a solid 2 deep of nothing but 4* or 5* players.

Especially considering the top 5 typically lose players after 3 years from that class. That is why OSU is always young.

Look at clemson - They won MNCs with classes averaging 10th.

There are 3 keys in my mind that are needed to win a MNC with top 10-15 talent
1) The talent has to be spread around. 4 4/5* RBs and none on the OL won't cut it. Every Position needs atleast 2 4* recruits to account for failing to live up to hype/injuries/depth/etc.
2) Players need to stay 4-5 years. A Sr. low 4* is as good as most 5* freshman (yes there are exceptions)
3) Coaches need to hit on a few of the 3*s - meaning that they were under-rated. Trace was a prime example of this. In reality - he probably should have been rated a 4*. There are many other examples of this.

Recruiting services aren't perfect. Yes the better you recruit - the better the results in many cases. However there are players who are 3* every singe year who are under valued. The key is get those kids. Franklin has shown the eye to identify them. Sometimes they blow up and are eventually rated 4*. Others they aren't or they don't do the camps/etc to get the additional *.

Sometimes players are rated lower because of WHERE they play. Look at Journey Brown. If he played in the DMV - he would have a good chance to be rated 4*s. His production on the field has shown that he is borderline 4*. His HS played weaker talent - and probably didn't have the training/etc that others have. Put him in college and he can blossom. There are many more like him.

Ratings also don't account for intangibles - how a player will fill out, his work ethic, his desire, etc.

Also - I feel the ratings should be viewed in the following way for MOST of the recruits
5* - Can contribute at a P5 right away - high ceiling
High 4* - Can contribute at P5 right way - High Ceiling
Low 4* - Needs about 1 year to contribute at P5- High Celing
High 3* Needs about 2-3 years to contribute at p5- Mid-High Ceiling
Low 3* - Depth at p5 school is probably the max

Reactions: grinagrin
From what I've been able gather:

USC is leaning toward retaining Helton, which would stave off pressure another year. Although, they could be in wait and see mode because if Utah were to lose this weekend, USC would be playing for the PAC championship. Definitely don't want to be coach-less playing for a conference championship. When is the last time a team fired a coach of a ranked team?

FSU and Franklin (or his agent) have talked and he is their leading candidate. FSU insiders expect a new coach to be hired by next Tuesday.

Penn State has been locked and loaded with an extension in anticipation that schools would come calling after this season. The details are unknown - are the two sides still negotiating, what it includes, etc. I'd imagine they're still negotiating if Franklin's people are kicking the tires at FSU.

Today's presser will interesting.

This whole thing is stupid. The guy has done a great job getting PSU to where it currently is. If he wants to leave, PSU will be in a good position to get the kind of coach it could only have dreamed of 5 years ago.

Most interestingly, nobody seems to have any faith that Sandy and the other PSU leadership won’t screw this up. And that’s regardless of whether CJF stays or goes. Contrast that with Gene Smith.

well he is not going to USC it seems....
https://collegefootballtalk.nbcspor...y-helton-has-support-of-new-usc-ad-president/

REPORT: Clay Helton has support of new USC AD, president
By John TaylorNov 26, 2019, 9:53 AM EST)

“With win over rival UCLA, No. 23 USC keeps Pac-12 South hopes alive — and saves Clay Helton’s job?”

That was the question our headline from Saturday evening asked when it comes to the future of Helton at USC. Helton entered the 2019 campaign squarely on the hot seat, then proceeded to crank up the temperature even further with a 3-3 start to the season. Since then, however, the Trojans have gone 5-1 — the lone loss was to No. 7 Oregon — to take it from a near-certainty that the coach is canned to the very real possibility that he’s saved his job — or is at least on the verge of saving.

Helton’s fate will, in part, be decided by a pair of individuals new to the university in Carol Folt, hired as president in March, and Mike Bohn, brought on as the next athletic director earlier this month. And, according to Bruce Feldman of The Athletic, Helton has received “a lot of support” from both Bohn and Folt, although other factions who are anti-Helton make the path for a return in 2020 not entirely clear.

From 247Sports.com‘s transcription of Feldman’s Monday radio interview:

The biggest job out there and it’s also the most entangled is the one that’s happening at USC, I mean, from what I’ve been told … is just there’s a lot of support from the new AD Mike Bohn, as well as president Carol Folt, for Clay Helton,” Feldman said. “They’re very comfortable with him, but there is going to be a lot of push back from some very influential USC people about, ‘Hey, we’re done with Clay Helton. We like him as a guy, we just don’t think he can really get it going here and get it done.’ And they’re 8-4 and he actually did a good job of getting to 8-4, given all the injuries, third-string quarterback … but that’s the one that could create some dominoes, if USC does, in fact, open up.

USC’s regular season has come to an end, with the Trojans sitting at 7-2 in Pac-12 play. Utah currently leads the South Division at 7-1, but will face Colorado at home in Week 14. If the Utes lose, it would be the Trojans who would face Oregon in the Pac-12 championship game by virtue of their head-to-head win over Utah in September.

Keeping Helton another year is delaying the inevitable - he only has one of the top 25 players in California committed in this year’s class. Maybe some players wanted to see if he’d survive. That said, they’re not competing for very long with average to below average recruiting classes which is his trajectory to date.

Today would be the day to say he's staying or leaving. Dragging this out is not right. It was bad enough that there was this sort of uncertainty hanging over the heads of the team for their biggest game of the year last week. And as others and I observed last week he seemed somewhat disengaged both before and during the game.

Today would be the day to say he's staying or leaving. Dragging this out is not right. It was bad enough that there was this sort of uncertainty hanging over the heads of the team for their biggest game of the year last week. And as others and I observed last week he seemed somewhat disengaged both before and during the game.
“Not right” to who? You? The players haven’t expressed concern, from what I’ve seen.

Reactions: LaJolla Lion
Today would be the day to say he's staying or leaving. Dragging this out is not right. It was bad enough that there was this sort of uncertainty hanging over the heads of the team for their biggest game of the year last week.
No it probably isn't today unless he signed something one way or the other. They have been working on an extension for him for a while now, hopefully they finish it up and get it done. If not, just realize he either wanted out or the school wasn't willing to step up to the plate and meet his demands. I understand people get impatient, but he has said time and time again he is happy here, he is from PA, and doesn't plan on going anywhere anytime soon. Maybe that is BS, but it has been 8 years now....so I think he may like it.

Reactions: PSUoh90 and nits74
“Not right” to who? You? The players haven’t expressed concern, from what I’ve seen.
Yeah, you can add that to my sentence. So you know what the players are thinking simply because you haven't heard them say anything? I understand this is the nature of college sports today, but it doesn't mean I have to like it. I guess some of us were spoiled by having a coach for so long that didn't play those sort of games. Unusual, yes, but also admirable.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT