ADVERTISEMENT

Football GAMEDAY THREAD: Penn State defeats Illinois, 30-13

I didn’t watch the Kansas game…does anyone have any explanation whatsoever as to why they could rack up so many yards on Illinois and we have nothing on the ground?

Sure, and we've said that on our pods. So the first time they face a defense with a heartbeat, it hasn't been as pretty. Why are we overly surprised by this?
I think you're giving the Illini defense way too much credit. Kansas had their way with them. We'll see as the season continues if Illinois was really a test. An upgrade over the other two but this isn't a decent Illinois team. I'm not mad or concerned. Just acknowledging there's issues. Allar hasn't made good decisions and there's been no explosive plays from the run game even against weak defenses prior to today. Just real issues.

Reactions: RickinDayton
Don't get me wrong, Penn State's offense has not been good today, but if the Nittany Lions make some adjustments offensively, they'll win this game 31-14 or so.

Penn state won't face too many defensive lines that are better this year than Illinois. Newton might be the best single defensive lineman in the Big Ten.
If, dog, rabbit.

Let’s see if this team can make some adjustments. They should still win this game, but hey, if they didn’t get 3 turn overs … things would look a little different. Dealing with adversity in a positive way is what good teams do.

Reactions: NittanyChris
I didn’t watch the Kansas game…does anyone have any explanation whatsoever as to why they could rack up so many yards on Illinois and we have nothing on the ground?
Kansas dominated their DL in the first half--pure domination
Kansas did run outside more and relied on misdirection but there's no excuse for our lack of execution in the run game against Illinois.

Don't get me wrong, Penn State's offense has not been good today, but if the Nittany Lions make some adjustments offensively, they'll win this game 31-14 or so.

Penn state won't face too many defensive lines that are better this year than Illinois. Newton might be the best single defensive lineman in the Big Ten.
Kansas ran for 262 against them and had 539 yds of total offense.

Reactions: psu00
Up 9. Get the ball to start the 2nd half. Could be a lot worse, but gosh, the OL looks shaky.

It's a real kick in the butt that we were on the verge of going up 16 (or 20) and taking control of the game...and then comes a really stupid personal foul to stop a drive. Yeah, I know the call can be questioned, but damn it, you have to play with discipline in that situation. There's just no excuse.

It wasn't pretty but the past few years in particular, we have definitely been a second-half team.

Penn State NEVER plays well against an unranked opponent on the road with morning kickoff

Reactions: Hero17
I think you're giving the Illini defense way too much credit. Kansas had their way with them. We'll see as the season continues if Illinois was really a test. An upgrade over the other two but this isn't a decent Illinois team. I'm not mad or concerned. Just acknowledging there's issues. Allar hasn't made good decisions and there's been no explosive plays from the run game even against weak defenses prior to today. Just real issues.
Illinois played terribly in weeks one and two, no doubt. But this is still a well-coached defense that had to replace a ton of talent. The fact they struggled the first two weeks wasn't shocking, but the defensive line talent is still pretty good; Bret Bielema thrives in these types of game situations as well. I'm surprised at the poor offensive line play to this degree, but anyone thinking this was going to be an easy game early was mistaken. We said that on the PSU 365 podcast this week as well, it would be close in the first but Penn State should win this one in the second half. Let's see what adjustments are made at halftime.

Reactions: NittanyChris
Let’s see if this team can make some adjustments. They should still win this game, but hey, if they didn’t get 3 turn overs … things would look a little different. Dealing with adversity in a positive way is what good teams do.
kansas scored how many points against team?

Kansas dominated their DL in the first half--pure domination
Kansas did run outside more and relied on misdirection but there's no excuse for our lack of execution in the run game against Illinois.

Unless it's a lack of talent, which I can't believe is the case. Fashanu is projected to be a high first round pick and he's getting beaten by the IL DE. It's the same recurring problems. OL, DL, and tackling. At least kicking game seems to be improved.

Reactions: psu00
Experienced players are playing with no composure. Good to get the field goal, but we need to get a touchdown here to start the 3rd quarter. Illinois is winning the trenches and we've shown a lack of toughness in addition to all the missed tackles.

Reactions: psu00 and BudatPSU
Deep breaths, folks. Penn State has played two poor quarters out of ten this season. The offensive line definitely should be a concern based on today. I think Penn State will still win this game around 31-17 or so.

Very few teams in college football truly dominate week in and week out. Right now, they're called Georgia.
I would venture a guess that the game plan is not working. Il is taking away the run game, it's a shame we don't have a QB that can pass..Oh we do!
Roll out the QB, standing in the pocket isn't being effective

The lack of perspective by the loudmouth posers on here is amusing. Let's see, #3 FSU is only leading unranked, and 1-1 , BC 17-10 at the half (BC lost to Northern Illinois). BC is outgaining FSU 241 yards to 191 yards at the half...., but somehow FSU is an awesome #3 team..... [insert eyeroll].

If...dog...rabbit.

Illinois played terribly in weeks one and two, no doubt. But this is still a well-coached defense that had to replace a ton of talent. The fact they struggled the first two weeks wasn't shocking, but the defensive line talent is still pretty good; Bret Bielema thrives in these types of game situations as well. I'm surprised at the poor offensive line play to this degree, but anyone thinking this was going to be an easy game early was mistaken. We said that on the PSU 365 podcast this week as well, it would be close in the first but Penn State should win this one in the second half. Let's see what adjustments are made at halftime.
I'm not at all worried about this game. I assumed we'd be up by about 10 at half and win by 14-20. This is what I expected but there's issues with the offense that we're seeing that need resolved if we're going to to beat Michigan or Ohio State. It's tough for me to ignore everything we've seen with Illinois this year and just assume this is a great D. They haven't shown any signs of that this year. Better than WVU but hopefully we see adjustments and an offense that can do what they should against a team like this. The lack of points despite short fields can't be dismissed. They didn't need 80 yard drives to get to the endzone.

The lack of perspective by the loudmouth posers on here is amusing. Let's see, #3 FSU is only leading unranked, and 1-1 , BC 17-10 at the half (BC lost to Northern Illinois). BC is outgaining FSU 241 yards to 191 yards at the half...., but somehow FSU is an awesome #3 team..... [insert eyeroll].

24-10 now and they didn't get 3 turnovers.

Reactions: bdgan
Rushing:
Singleton 8-19
Allen 7-18
Allar 6-24

Every time Allar is flushed and takes off running, I hold my breath and see our season on the line.

And when you see stats like the ones you posted above, you know something went very wrong on O.

I just wish our running attack had a wide stretch-the-field option. Then again, I've been wishing that for 10 years.

Reactions: RickinDayton
I'm not at all worried about this game. I assumed we'd be up by about 10 at half and win by 14-20. This is what I expected but there's issues with the offense that we're seeing that need resolved if we're going to to beat Michigan or Ohio State. It's tough for me to ignore everything we've seen with Illinois this year and just assume this is a great D. They haven't shown any signs of that this year. Better than WVU but hopefully we see adjustments and an offense that can do what they should against a team like this. The lack of points despite short fields can't be dismissed. They didn't need 80 yard drives to get to the endzone.
Absolutely, I agree. But sometimes teams need games like this to kind of kick them in the ass, ya know?

Last season, Georgia almost loss to Missouri in week 5, won 26-22. After that, the Bulldogs dominated nearly the rest of the way. Michigan only beat Illinois last year 19-17, also had a tough one against Maryland.

These types of games happen, great teams find a way to get past those bad quarters and halfs to win games. I get everyone's concerns but writing off an entire season as some have on social media platforms is just silly.

Great points by you though.

Absolutely. People need to relax. It was a poor first half on offense and we're up 9 on the road. Georgia Southern is beating Wisky 14-7 in the third. It's not our birthright to win every game by 30.

One adjustment I hope they make is the pace of the offense. Hate the whole waiting around for a call from the sidelines then snapping the ball with <5 seconds on the clock. Just call a play, line up and go.

Every time Allar is flushed and takes off running, I hold my breath and see our season on the line.

And when you see stats like the ones you posted above, you know something went very wrong on O.

I just wish our running attack had a wide stretch-the-field option. Then again, I've been wishing that for 10 years

They are stacking up against run and making Allar beat them. PSU will be fine. They never play well in first half of 11:00 local starts. Been that way since I was there

Absolutely, I agree. But sometimes teams need games like this to kind of kick them in the ass, ya know?

Last season, Georgia almost loss to Missouri in week 5, won 26-22. After that, the Bulldogs dominated nearly the rest of the way. Michigan only beat Illinois last year 19-17, also had a tough one against Maryland.

These types of games happen, great teams find a way to get past those bad quarters and halfs to win games. I get everyone's concerns but writing off an entire season as some have on social media platforms is just silly.

Great points by you though.
Appreciate. And I get what you're saying about Georgia but it's easier to have confidence in a team like Georgia that has a coach that has proven he can win big games. Definitely not writing off the season but there's areas of concern. Ohio State has them too. We saw QB play already cost Bama a game. Hopefully we start to see glimpses of improvement.

McClain having about as bad a day as you can have. Passes hit him right on the money and he is dropping them.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT