ADVERTISEMENT

Great 90s rock

Sorry if any of these were already posted.

I haven’t listened to Sevendust in a while! Seen them about 8 times and actually took my son to see them about 2 years ago at the Electric factory when they went on tour for the 20 year anniversary of their first album. They played every song off it. It was awesome. Such a fun band to see live. They really seem to love the fans and the energy they get from them.

Reactions: djr4rebs
I haven’t listened to Sevendust in a while! Seen them about 8 times and actually took my son to see them about 2 years ago at the Electric factory when they went on tour for the 20 year anniversary of their first album. They played every song off it. It was awesome. Such a fun band to see live. They really seem to love the fans and the energy they get from them.

That's awesome brother. Definitely my favorite band. Among the best live, agreed on the energy. I went to the original 20th anniversary show in Atlanta March '17 and the 20th anniversary show for the Home album NYE '18 (Atlanta as well). Eagerly awaiting more.

Reactions: jmorovich
Funny you say that...summertime to me means listening to Dirty Heads, Bryce Vine, Pepper, and any other laid back beach music I can get my hands on!

As others have said in this thread, music is a great thing when you make an effort to explore different things. I am sitting poolside right now listening to Iration with NO PLANS on moving!! Getting older and finding what makes you happy is a wonderful thing!
Mid 50s guy here whose kids turned me on to the Dirty Heads, Pepper and Rebelution. You got others on your playlist in a similar style?

“Great 90’s rock”....this is going to be a short thread.:)
Maybe this is said jokingly (and music is obviously personal preference) but the 90s probably had more "great rock" than any decade other than the 70s. Yes, there was some good stuff in the 80s and 00s (not a lot in the '10s) but the 90s has a huge catalog of amazing stuff.

Mid 50s guy here whose kids turned me on to the Dirty Heads, Pepper and Rebelution. You got others on your playlist in a similar style?

Definitely check out Iration. They fit right in that mold. I can listen to pretty much all their stuff. I’m a fan of Sublime with Rome. I know a lot of people don’t like them because they are looking for that “Sublime” sound but they do sound different. I like a lot of their stuff. Stick Figure is one I can toss and and let go for a while. Sift through bands like Ballyhoo, The SuperVillians, Shwayze, and you’ll find a couple songs to add to some playlists. I’m a big Bryce Vine fan although he doesn’t fall into the Cali Reggae vibe. He’s just more about making music to have fun to. Still great stuff to listen poolside or on the beach (I put his album Lazy Fair on and let it go). I’ve seen him a couple times in concert and it’s just a good time.

Have fun! Like Cisco Adler & Shwayze say...

Everybody in the place to be
Put ya hands
Where my eyes can see
You know how we do it!
Summertime music!!!

Reactions: psufan1999797
This (Pantera -- Walk) is one of the best examples of a very simple but absolutely amazing riff.

As an aside, for at least one season (maybe 2016?) the Penguins played this right before puck drop of every home game. Great song, great way to fire up the crowd, relevant message (i.e. this is our house, you better respect what is coming your way).

Maybe this is said jokingly (and music is obviously personal preference) but the 90s probably had more "great rock" than any decade other than the 70s. Yes, there was some good stuff in the 80s and 00s (not a lot in the '10s) but the 90s has a huge catalog of amazing stuff.
It was said jokingly hence the smiley face. However, every decade has great rock and since it’s based on personal preference each person will have a different opinion on which decade had the most great rock. I think the 60’s, 70’s and 80’s all had better rock, but that’s my opinion. Of course, in the 90’s I was raising babies so I listened to more Barney than rock and roll.

Agreed except you forgot the 60’s which imo was the greatest decade.

Whether it's the best decade or not can be debated. What cannot be debated is the fact that it was the LAST decade of rock music. Rock music passed away in 1999 with the takeover of boy bands.
Are you talking about what was "on the charts" or what was released? Because even the 00s, although not as good as the 90s, had some great albums:

QOTSA
Franz Ferdinand
The Killers
System of a Down
Green Day
White Stripes
RATM

all put out great music in the 00s

Only the latter half of the 60s was impressive (IMHO).

Floyd was founded until 65
Cream in 66
Zeppelin and Sabbath in 68

Early 60s was meh.
Well, disagree with that, but not really intersted in hijacking this thread. Suffice to say that music builds on itself. Without the music of the early 60s, the late 60's music would not have been created.

Definitely check out Iration. They fit right in that mold. I can listen to pretty much all their stuff. I’m a fan of Sublime with Rome. I know a lot of people don’t like them because they are looking for that “Sublime” sound but they do sound different. I like a lot of their stuff. Stick Figure is one I can toss and and let go for a while. Sift through bands like Ballyhoo, The SuperVillians, Shwayze, and you’ll find a couple songs to add to some playlists. I’m a big Bryce Vine fan although he doesn’t fall into the Cali Reggae vibe. He’s just more about making music to have fun to. Still great stuff to listen poolside or on the beach (I put his album Lazy Fair on and let it go). I’ve seen him a couple times in concert and it’s just a good time.

Have fun! Like Cisco Adler & Shwayze say...

Everybody in the place to be
Put ya hands
Where my eyes can see
You know how we do it!
Summertime music!!!
Thanks! Will definitely check them out. Saw Sublime with Rome and Dirty Heads together a few years back - one of the piers in Philly. Good stuff.

A few years ago I was in the camp that there was no good new music being made. A friend lead me to new rock that wasn't purely computer generated, wasn't rap, wasn't pop and wasn't grunge. There is good stuff being made, but not getting any billing.

Reactions: 91Joe95
Only the latter half of the 60s was impressive (IMHO).

Floyd was founded until 65
Cream in 66
Zeppelin and Sabbath in 68

Early 60s was meh.

Beatles stones beach boys credence Hendrix Dylan airplane c s n y traffic cream Motown kinks lou reed the band to name a very very few

opinions differ but imo there was more great rock by far in the sixties.

Beatles stones beach boys credence Hendrix Dylan airplane c s n y traffic cream Motown kinks lou reed the band to name a very very few

opinions differ but imo there was more great rock by far in the sixties.
I mentioned Cream.
I agree Hendrix belong on list.
No one else on that list is someone I would ever choose to listen to although some of those artists are musically important (which is different than being appealing to me).

But again, musical taste is very personal.

I mentioned Cream.
I agree Hendrix belong on list.
No one else on that list is someone I would ever choose to listen to although some of those artists are musically important (which is different than being appealing to me).

But again, musical taste is very personal.

Its all in what you grow up with. I love Sabbath, Zeppelin, Hendrix, The Doors, but I wasn't alive in the late 60s and 70s; I didn't get to attend any of their shows nor was their music the core soundtrack of my youth. This plays a bigger part in this than anything.

Subsequently, the older we get the less restrictive we seem to get in regards to what we seem as good. Our ears get old and cranky too.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT