ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa vs Michigan

My worry is a rich Pitt alumni awakens that sleeping giant. Don’t know where you’re from but Pitt is in the middle of PA’s best high school wrestling.
We don't have to worry much about that. Ohio State and the ACC schools would be much harder hit.

Reactions: danoftw and mcpat
Snagged a vid of Lewan warming up with the trainers before his match last night.

tin man GIF

Last edited:
Grew up in Iowa at @mcpat Of course everyone knows that PA is the hotbed of high school wrestling. I don't know the breakdowns by area though.
FYI -- the 3 long-running biggest HS talent pools in the US are metro Pittsburgh, Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton, and metro Cleveland.

Pitt has easy local access to 2 of those regions, and has historically recruited well from the 3rd.

Most of PA's NCAA D1 starters come from those 2 regions + the 3 PIAA Districts that comprise Central PA. (Plus the major prep schools -- Wyoming Seminary in NE PA, and Malvern Prep in suburban Philly.)

But not all -- Carter is from Erie (far NW PA). Etc.

The cities of Philadelphia and Pittsburgh produce volumes of D1 athletes but are mostly non-factors in wrestling at the HS level, let alone the college level. One big exception, Pittsburgh Central Catholic HS (Cenzo went there), though they get a lot of suburban kids.

FYI -- the 3 long-running biggest HS talent pools in the US are metro Pittsburgh, Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton, and metro Cleveland.

Pitt has easy local access to 2 of those regions, and has historically recruited well from the 3rd.

Most of PA's NCAA D1 starters come from those 2 regions + the 3 PIAA Districts that comprise Central PA. (Plus the major prep schools -- Wyoming Seminary in NE PA, and Malvern Prep in suburban Philly.)

The cities of Philadelphia and Pittsburgh produce volumes of D1 athletes but are mostly non-factors in wrestling at the HS level, let alone the college level. One big exception, Pittsburgh Central Catholic HS (Cenzo went there), though they get a lot of suburban kids.
So I should be worried about a rich Lafayette alumnus too?

Thanks for putting in the effort @El-Jefe to post this information.

This is all really offensive to Augustino guys. He's really tired of the caveman and civil war comparisons.

*I know I keep posting this gif, still makes me laugh. 😆😆

Air Caveman GIF
then you really gotta be sick of all the Megaludis trash talk!

then you really gotta be sick of all the Megaludis trash talk!
I see the sarcastic jokes on your board occasionally. I haven't followed your board long enough and dont know what happened to know the joke. Someone dissed Nico at some point , obviously.
Tell me where it comes from so I can appreciate it.
I like Nico.

I see the sarcastic jokes on your board occasionally. I haven't followed your board long enough and dont know what happened to know the joke. Someone dissed Nico at some point , obviously.
Tell me where it comes from so I know.
I like Nico.
We once had a poster, Spyker, who posted a lot of nonsense over the years, usually trying to puff himself up as some kind of insider that he clearly wasn't. Most of it was and continues to be mocked. (If you ever see an ALL CAPS POST WITH LOTS OF !!!!, that was a Spyker-ism.)

In the preseason before Suriano's one year at PSU, Spyker claimed that Cruiseliner Nick was beating Nico in the room. Nico had just won the national title less than 6 months earlier. Nobody believed it. Hence, "he's beating Nico in the room."

We have since distorted that joke beyond recognition. But that's its source.

We once had a poster, Spyker, who posted a lot of nonsense over the years, usually trying to puff himself up as some kind of insider that he clearly wasn't. Most of it was and continues to be mocked. (If you ever see an ALL CAPS POST WITH LOTS OF !!!!, that was a Spyker-ism.)

In the preseason before Suriano's one year at PSU, Spyker claimed that Cruiseliner Nick was beating Nico in the room. Nico had just won the national title less than 6 months earlier. Hence, "he's beating Nico in the room."

Thanks again @El-Jefe. Now I know. I saw the sarcastic " everyone beats Nico" but didn't know the back story.
You're a good person, actual info instead of being a wiseguy.
Appreciate it!

Tell me where it comes from so I can appreciate it.
I like Nico.

In the preseason before Suriano's one year at PSU, Spyker claimed that Cruiseliner Nick was beating Nico in the room. Nico had just won the national title less than 6 months earlier. Hence, "he's beating Nico in the room."

Unfortunately it will never die. The strength of this board is never letting old jokes disappear.

Thanks again @El-Jefe. Now I know. I saw the sarcastic " everyone beats Nico" but didn't know the back story.
You're a good person, actual info instead of being a wiseguy.
Appreciate it!
They wrestle a meet every year in Pittsburgh between PA’s best seniors and the rest of the states’ combined best guys. (You prob have had guys at Iowa wrestle in it.)

But the other event with it is the Pittsburgh metro’s best wrestlers against another (rotating) state’s best guys. And the Pittsburgh metro has a sizable all time lead in the series.

Flattery will get you everywhere.

But I'm also a huge smartass.
I spoke the truth, you gave actual info without being a smartass. Rare on any board. I've been abused over here a few times. 😆😆
I can be a huge smartass myself. Lol

They wrestle a meet every year in Pittsburgh between PA’s best seniors and the rest of the states’ combined best guys. (You prob have had guys at Iowa wrestle in it.)

But the other event with it is the Pittsburgh metro’s best wrestlers against another (rotating) state’s best guys. And the Pittsburgh metro has a sizable all time lead in the series.
I've seen it @mcpat That's a pretty crazy stat.

Reactions: mcpat

To clarify: both are the Pittsburgh Wrestling Classic (fka Dapper Dan, and it still gets called that often). PA vs. the USA is the main event. Metro Pittsburgh vs Another State is the undercard. Only seniors are eligible for either.

Because they're the same event (and because it's seniors-only), often the Pittsburgh area's best guy isn't on the undercard. Pittsburgh usually beats the other state anyway.

Just for the record, I don't come over here to be an ass kisser. My posts are usually very complimentary but are also true.
What Cael is doing is amazing, not only on the college level but also the world stage.
I appreciate great college wrestling and also am a huge fan of team USA.
This is where it's happening.

Last edited:
Has anybody ever seen Ferrari with a female? (Other than perhaps in court with an accuser)?

Just a thought..his brand of hypermachismo doesn't play well with women.
Not true. There’s a certain type of female that is attracted to the bad boys. Some of them are also very attractive.

@El-Jefe or anyone who knows, why is the school called Wyoming Seminary? It took me several years of following this Forum before I realized it was in Pennsylvania : )

Reactions: Sett1997
My worry is a rich Pitt alumni awakens that sleeping giant. Don’t know where you’re from but Pitt is in the middle of PA’s best high school wrestling.
Not disagreeing with you, but I’ll bet there are some guys from the Eastern end of PA who might offer some strong rebuttals.

• Haha
Reactions: hlstone and danoftw
By the way have we reached a consensus that Lemley was robbed of the pin? Ridiculous no call.

Experience?
Actually yes! Not by practice, but if you were young and single and lived in San Diego for any length of time, you would know that my point is quite factual.

But this is a wrestling message board, not a forum about the psychology of what women find attractive in men. So I don’t want to get pounced on for trying to hijack the thread.

A well known battle cry from a classic 80’s movie starring Patrick Swayze:

WOLVERINES!!!!

@El-Jefe or anyone who knows, why is the school called Wyoming Seminary? It took me several years of following this Forum before I realized it was in Pennsylvania : )

With some help from Wikipedia:

Wyoming Seminary is in the Wyoming Valley. The name "Wyoming" derives from the Munsee word xwé:wamənk, meaning "at the big river flat". Munsee is one of the Delaware Indian languages and the Delawares occupied that part of Pennsylvania back in the day.

Wyoming state most likely gets its name from the original in PA and not vice versa.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT