ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa vs Ohio State

Taking a few liberties and reading between the lines in a few of the posts in this thread, so far we have 11 picking the Bull, 4 picking Kharchla.

Reactions: donboy6499
Someone can correct if I’m mistaken, but by my research the Bull’s sole loss in a dual wrestling meet match was a 7-5 loss to VJ that occurred when VJ scored 6 on a throw in the 2nd period. I know he hasn’t looked incredible this season, but wow - I’m not betting against this 6th year senior who has wrestled 112 career matches against a 3rd year redshirt freshman that has wrestled 32 career matches.

Umm ... hope this was sarcasm.
Guess JS isn’t the only one high on Assad. I may be wrong on him but I’m still not seeing anything that leads me to believe he will ever reach his top 10 ranking coming out of high-school. He is 9-2 so I kinda sorta see peoples optimism…well… had he not lost to the high school kid anyway. His best wins are Braunagel (ranked 19th) and Lyons (28th) so there is that..

Reactions: js8793 and danoftw
Marinelli’s only dual loss was to Joseph.
That is what I thought. He has lost a single dual, to a three time finalist two time champ (only 3 tries) and all of a sudden he is at best 50-50 against a pretty good opponent who has yet to make his first championship appearance.
Plus he goes to school where they preach the deadline off bottom style. A close match for sure, but another close victory.

That last statement is strange. It implies that Assad is better than Amine, whereas most would consider the opposite to be true.
Sure, I could've worded it better. To be clear, I don't think Romero will win. He impresses me as an edge counter wrestler. I think Assad will on a big move. I am not impressed by Romero's offense in general.

That is what I thought. He has lost a single dual, to a three time finalist two time champ (only 3 tries) and all of a sudden he is at best 50-50 against a pretty good opponent who has yet to make his first championship appearance.
Plus he goes to school where they preach the deadline off bottom style. A close match for sure, but another close victory.
Fair.
I picked Kharchla but I wouldn’t be shocked either way. I’m just going by what I’ve seen the this season so far, I think Kharchla wrestling better right now. Admittedly, I am more impressed by him than most others, he just looks like a guy who could win it all and I wouldn’t be shocked. My pick isn’t an indictment on Bull, it’s that I think Kharchla is really really good.

I’ll be shocked if we actually see the match at all to be honest.

Fair.
I picked Kharchla but I wouldn’t be shocked either way. I’m just going by what I’ve seen the this season so far, I think Kharchla wrestling better right now. Admittedly, I am more impressed by him than most others, he just looks like a guy who could win it all and I wouldn’t be shocked. My pick isn’t an indictment on Bull, it’s that I think Kharchla is really really good.

You think Bull is going to sit a match in his home state? Cuz, that’s not gonna happen.

AM has lost one dual meet and that was to a two time NCAA champion, and that was Chenzo’s only win against Alex. My point being that AM is very hard to take down, and wins a lot. This will be a 6-2 decision at least in favor of Alex. I except two takedowns, an escape and riding time.

Fair.

I think we see this match. What intrigues me is the question of whether or not both guys come out wrestling to win, or just hand fighting to see who can score a single end of the period takedown.

You think Bull is going to sit a match in his home state? Cuz, that’s not gonna happen.

AM has lost one dual meet and that was to a two time NCAA champion, and that was Chenzo’s only win against Alex. My point being that AM is very hard to take down, and wins a lot. This will be a 6-2 decision at least in favor of Alex. I except two takedowns, an escape and riding time.
Could be, that wouldn’t really shock me either if he wins 6-2. Won’t be because he’s solved some great puzzle about winning duals though. That would imply that there’s some aspect/element about tournaments specifically holding back. Neither are true IMO. He’s wrestled well in pretty much every match of his career, but wrestles other top guys close, and it’s bit him sometimes. Only match I can think of that he didn’t show up was the 16-3 Wick decision in I believe 2018 at NCAA.

I didn’t say he’d sit out, as we’ve found out across the country the last few years a million things keep guys from wrestling other than sitting out (though admittedly some do sit out as well).
Great thing about the match is we’ll get to see it I hope. Two high level contenders.

Could be, that wouldn’t really shock me either if he wins 6-2. Won’t be because he’s solved some great puzzle about winning duals though. That would imply that there’s some aspect/element about tournaments specifically holding back. Neither are true IMO. He’s wrestled well in pretty much every match of his career, but wrestles other top guys close, and it’s bit him sometimes. Only match I can think of that he didn’t show up was the 16-3 Wick decision in I believe 2018 at NCAA.

I didn’t say he’d sit out, as we’ve found out across the country the last few years a million things keep guys from wrestling other than sitting out (though admittedly some do sit out as well).
Great thing about the match is we’ll get to see it I hope. Two high level contenders.
I brought up his dual meet success to further my point that Alex Marinelli is pretty damn good at wrestling. I think he’s been a tad snake bitten at NCAA’s. Twice he’s lost to the eventual champion and last year he had the rib injury. He’s in the top tier of 165 with Keegan, wick, and Griffith. I see Carson being a tier below.

Should be a good test for both.

Reactions: donboy6499

In 112 career matches Marinelli hasn’t given up more than one takedown in a match except for Marsteller. He took him down 3
times and also had a reversal.

Correction: Wick took him down twice in the 2018 NCAA tourney.

I think we see this match. What intrigues me is the question of whether or not both guys come out wrestling to win, or just hand fighting to see who can score a single end of the period takedown.
It’s a match I’m greatly interested in because to me the styles, not just in x and o but in the mental approach, contrast a lot.
The Bull is the Bull. We know that. But Kharchla won’t be intimidated one bit and I believe will be pushing the pace and attacking because that’s his nature. If he doesn’t push pace and try to get into scrambles, get the action rolling, I’ll be surprised and in my mind his candidacy as a contender changes a little bit

Reactions: nitlion6
Been a Braves fan since about 1983 when WTBS showed all their games. They definitely need to sign Freddie.
My dad got his satellite dish in 83 as well and it was TBS or WGN. Watched the cubs but Murphy has always been my guy.

My dad got his satellite dish in 83 as well and it was TBS or WGN. Watched the cubs but Murphy has always been my guy.
Same here. It was either Cubs or Braves and growing up in the Midwest (Omaha) there were already too many Cubs fans so I chose the Braves. Murphy was the man in the early/mid 80’s.

Reactions: dunkej01
Same here. It was either Cubs or Braves and growing up in the Midwest (Omaha) there were already too many Cubs fans so I chose the Braves. Murphy was the man in the early/mid 80’s.
I am a die hard Pirates fan, and another team I annually pick so I can pay attention to someone who has a fighting chance of winning 60 or more games.
I also just like baseball. I am old enough to remember Hank hitting 714 and 715. The 80s Braves, I liked 3rd baseman Bob Horner.

Guess JS isn’t the only one high on Assad. I may be wrong on him but I’m still not seeing anything that leads me to believe he will ever reach his top 10 ranking coming out of high-school. He is 9-2 so I kinda sorta see peoples optimism…well… had he not lost to the high school kid anyway. His best wins are Braunagel (ranked 19th) and Lyons (28th) so there is that..
i like the cut of that guy's jib!

Reactions: johnstownsteel
I am a die hard Pirates fan, and another team I annually pick so I can pay attention to someone who has a fighting chance of winning 60 or more games.
I also just like baseball. I am old enough to remember Hank hitting 714 and 715. The 80s Braves, I liked 3rd baseman Bob Horner.
Pirates fan as well…I send you my condolences. I lived here in North Carolina In the 90s and a group was set to buy them and move the team there. They had plans to build the stadium near the town (KernersvilIe) I lived in but the voters voted down funding the stadium. I was torn between keeping them in the Burgh or selling them to someone that may be determined to build a winner.

Horner just a beast on those braves teams

Pirates fan as well…I send you my condolences. I lived here in North Carolina In the 90s and a group was set to buy them and move the team there. They had plans to build the stadium near the town (KernersvilIe) I lived in but the voters voted down funding the stadium. I was torn between keeping them in the Burgh or selling them to someone that may be determined to build a winner.
I will forever dislike Nutting. Mario and Burkle had a plan to start a television network similar to 70s 80s TBS with the Pirates and Penguins games as features to build off of.
Even if their plan had not worked as well as they believed possible, can you imagine a Pirate owner working to provide the organization competitive resources versus the current model of sticking your palm out, taking the peanuts the other MLB owners give you for fielding a team and banking it.

Reactions: Cali_Nittany
Im not picking klarcha because of what they have done in the past I'm picking him because of how both are wrestling now. Bill is not the Bill this year or isn't wrestling up to par and klarcha is pulling it all out. That makes a great formula for an upset. If I look at the overall numbers who wouldn't pick Bull

I will forever dislike Nutting. Mario and Burkle had a plan to start a television network similar to 70s 80s TBS with the Pirates and Penguins games as features to build off of.
Even if their plan had not worked as well as they believed possible, can you imagine a Pirate owner working to provide the organization competitive resources versus the current model of sticking your palm out, taking the peanuts the other MLB owners give you for fielding a team and banking it.
Yep..pisses me off. When they put a good product on the field the fans have proven they will show up for the games. He doesn’t care though. Saw he sold the ski resorts… was hoping he’d sell the team next but it’s too big of a money bag for him to do that. His kids won’t let him. Lol

Reactions: nitlion6
Im not picking klarcha because of what they have done in the past I'm picking him because of how both are wrestling now. Bill is not the Bill this year or isn't wrestling up to par and klarcha is pulling it all out. That makes a great formula for an upset. If I look at the overall numbers who wouldn't pick Bull
Is this the match showing Karchla’s dominance?

LaVearn, Bryan
Tiffin University
11/14
Ohio Intercollegiate Open
W DEC
9 - 8

The Bill comes due. And that ain't no Bull.

Gotta go with the Bull. I'd expect it will be close as Marinelli has not been bulling people around this year, but does anyone actually look at Karchla's track record in Folk? His great wins so far:

Close win over Ramirez - Matt Lee's got a win over him too.
Close win over Wentzel - puts him in the same company as Philip Conigliaro & Brian Meyer this year.
He's also eked out some very close wins over NQ types.

Yup, he had a close loss to Griffith. Just like he likely will against Marinelli. And I wouldn't expect anything different in March until he actually beats someone in the upper tier.

Gotta go with the Bull. I'd expect it will be close as Marinelli has not been bulling people around this year, but does anyone actually look at Karchla's track record in Folk? His great wins so far:

Close win over Ramirez - Matt Lee's got a win over him too.
Close win over Wentzel - puts him in the same company as Philip Conigliaro & Brian Meyer this year.
He's also eked out some very close wins over NQ types.

Yup, he had a close loss to Griffith. Just like he likely will against Marinelli. And I wouldn't expect anything different in March until he actually beats someone in the upper tier.
he also lit up ramirez the day before. they wrestled twice at cklv.

In 112 career matches Marinelli hasn’t given up more than one takedown in a match except for Marsteller. He took him down 3
times and also had a reversal.

Correction: Wick took him down twice in the 2018 NCAA tourney.
Ethan Smith had two takedowns on Marinelli, in the 2020 OhioState Iowa dual.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT