ADVERTISEMENT

Lets Talk Big 10 Expansion

C

Can't disagree.

Here's an interesting tidbit Moody Fla AG says Floridians will see ACC ESPN media rights deal. Things just got really interesting on that front.
There may be something to this Clemson/FSU Big 12 chatter. It will be interesting.

Reactions: PSU4U
There may be something to this Clemson/FSU Big 12 chatter. It will be interesting.
Rumor Mill has it that Yormark can offer both 50 Mil a year without using private equity. I guess the Big 12 has been discussing unequal revenue for a while. Has that ever worked anywhere else in college football?

Last edited:
Rumore Mill has it that Yormark can offer both 50 Mil a year without using private equity. I guess the Big 12 has been discussing unequal revenue for a while. Has that ever worked anywhere else in college football?
Actually would prefer to see it happen so that there is a P3 rather than a P2, but I just have my doubts. It’ll work until a school like Baylor or Utah win that conference in the first season and receive less revenue than Clemson or FSU. The second issue i see is that Clemson and FSU fans will quickly understand they have no interest playing Oklahoma State and Arizona and really any other Bog 12 school .

Reactions: psu00 and PSU4U
Rumore Mill has it that Yormark can offer both 50 Mil a year without using private equity. I guess the Big 12 has been discussing unequal revenue for a while. Has that ever worked anywhere else in college football?
Haven't they been that way for a long time? That was one, of many, gripes about how Texas ran the show in the Big 12 and pissed off A&M and others.

Recent chatter that I have been hearing is that the SEC isn't interested at all in expanding outside their footprint and that there aren't any current teams in their region that grow the pie. Basically, they understand what has made their conference successful (regional model, investing in athletic programs) and have leveraged that to grow the fan base in other sports like baseball.

Recent chatter that I have been hearing is that the SEC isn't interested at all in expanding outside their footprint and that there aren't any current teams in their region that grow the pie. Basically, they understand what has made their conference successful (regional model, investing in athletic programs) and have leveraged that to grow the fan base in other sports like baseball.
It's a good strategy for them. I think the B1G is committed to a different strategy of competing across the U.S.

The SEC and B1G have to publicly state they're not interested. That tune will change if/when the ACC blows up.

It's a good strategy for them. I think the B1G is committed to a different strategy of competing across the U.S.
In hindsight, I am not sure that the juice from the west coast schools was worth the squeeze. It seems like the TV package was already going to be good, even without the LA schools. And now we have this Frankenstein of a conference with increased travel and no common bond between the B1G and the newer 'coastal' teams. What a mess.

Is USC the big winner here as they managed to finagle themselves into a premier conference? More money for sure, but they never really had money problems. And exposure never was an issue either, so I am not sure what problems this actually solves for them. In fact, I would make the argument that with the expanded playoff, they would have been better off staying as a lead dog in the Pac.

s USC the big winner here as they managed to finagle themselves into a premier conference? More money for sure, but they never really had money problems. And exposure never was an issue either, so I am not sure what problems this actually solves for them. In fact, I would make the argument that with the expanded playoff, they would have been better off staying as a lead dog in the Pac.

What lead dog? 1 title in the last 15 years.

The Sneaky Pete era was excellent with Saban-like dominance, but they've been average since.

Oregon is killing them in the NIL game as well and OC Guru Lincoln Riley hasn't fielded a team yet better than any of his OU counterparts.

I think they wanted away from Oregon and it backfired. Riley wanted away from the SEC and it backfired as well. USC has 4 of the top 79. Yes, SEVENTY-NINE! 4/79 in the state of Cali.

In hindsight, I am not sure that the juice from the west coast schools was worth the squeeze. It seems like the TV package was already going to be good, even without the LA schools. And now we have this Frankenstein of a conference with increased travel and no common bond between the B1G and the newer 'coastal' teams. What a mess.

Is USC the big winner here as they managed to finagle themselves into a premier conference? More money for sure, but they never really had money problems. And exposure never was an issue either, so I am not sure what problems this actually solves for them. In fact, I would make the argument that with the expanded playoff, they would have been better off staying as a lead dog in the Pac.
I like getting the chance to play USC or Oregon or Washington in a conference game. But I also liked the Pac 12 and am sorry to see that be gone.

As far as new teams in the B10. Not many excite me except ND, FSU and Clemson. I don't think any will be B10 members though when the dust settles except ND but that could be a long while.

The Sneaky Pete era was excellent with Saban-like dominance, but they've been average since.

Oregon is killing them in the NIL game as well and OC Guru Lincoln Riley hasn't fielded a team yet better than any of his OU counterparts.

I think they wanted away from Oregon and it backfired. Riley wanted away from the SEC and it backfired as well. USC has 4 of the top 79. Yes, SEVENTY-NINE! 4/79 in the state of Cali.
Wow, their in-state recruiting is terrible. Big question is if they improve on defense. They need to significantly improve on that side of the ball to be a playoff contender. I just hope we can go there and win. We will see how good they are before they play us as they have LSU, Michigan and Wisky all before us.

Reactions: lazydave841

Notice, I didn't say 'the' lead dog. ;)

I agree with you 100%. As a west coaster, I have noticed over the years that nobody does less with more than USC.

Reactions: lazydave841
Late last week there was talk that FSU lawyers had found some ‘smoking gun’ that would prove ACC commish malfeasance and allow FSU and Clemson out of the GOR after 2026 (IIRC). Now, this was from some random FSU fan claiming inside knowledge so take that for what it’s worth. It will be interesting to hear if any ACC news breaks this week.

The Big Ten would be making a huge error to not take FSU IMO.

Reactions: 91Joe95
Notice, I didn't say 'the' lead dog. ;)

I agree with you 100%. As a west coaster, I have noticed over the years that nobody does less with more than USC.

No worries bud. That post started with the one thought before realizing the rest while searching some info. USC just seems to carry a level of "they are gonna be good/tough" regardless of what they put on the field.

I honestly did not expect their in state recruiting to be that ... bad. 3/31 was bad enough, but I just kept scrolling for #4!

Riley has his hands full. This ain't the Big 12 and neutral field vs Texas for the title no more.

Actually would prefer to see it happen so that there is a P3 rather than a P2, but I just have my doubts. It’ll work until a school like Baylor or Utah win that conference in the first season and receive less revenue than Clemson or FSU. The second issue i see is that Clemson and FSU fans will quickly understand they have no interest playing Oklahoma State and Arizona and really any other Bog 12 school .
As of today, FSU is very earnestly seeking AAU affiliation and said to be doing everything the Big 10 suggested. Will all of that be enough soon enough? I doubt it but it looks like they have until 2026.

As of today, FSU is very earnestly seeking AAU affiliation and said to be doing everything the Big 10 suggested. Will all of that be enough soon enough? I doubt it but it looks like they have until 2026.
They flexed their muscles with the lawsuit, but have nowhere to go at this point and look a bit desperate. I think longterm the conference wants to get into the state of Florida along with other growing southern states. They can do that now with Miami who is AAU, but obviously FSU is the better football option. I listened to likely the same podcast you listened to and it seems like a long shot for FSU in the next few years like you said.

I have to believe we are on pause with conf expansion for at least a few years. All the schools are in new homes including Stanford and Cal in the ACC which tells me the ACC gave them some confidence they are not folding anytime soon. The B10 is not going to just pluck FSU and that is it but none of the other schools are really net revenue positive. I am assuming Clemson is a no for the B10. B10 may just wait for ND and the ACC legal GoR/contract to play out then plan their next expansion play. That would be a few years out.

By the way, was Petitti even asked about future conf expansion at the B10 media event? Does not seem to be a priority but I could have missed something.

They flexed their muscles with the lawsuit, but have nowhere to go at this point and look a bit desperate. I think longterm the conference wants to get into the state of Florida along with other growing southern states. They can do that now with Miami who is AAU, but obviously FSU is the better football option. I listened to likely the same podcast you listened to and it seems like a long shot for FSU in the next few years like you said.
Even though Miami is AAU they have a few more problems than FSU IMO.

Reactions: psu00
I have to believe we are on pause with conf expansion for at least a few years. All the schools are in new homes including Stanford and Cal in the ACC which tells me the ACC gave them some confidence they are not folding anytime soon. The B10 is not going to just pluck FSU and that is it but none of the other schools are really net revenue positive. I am assuming Clemson is a no for the B10. B10 may just wait for ND and the ACC legal GoR/contract to play out then plan their next expansion play. That would be a few years out.

By the way, was Petitti even asked about future conf expansion at the B10 media event? Does not seem to be a priority but I could have missed something.
ND is the big enchilada and priority #1. ND could pick any travel partner to the Big 10 they want from Miami, FSU, GT, UNC, VA or Stanford and the Big 10 would take them. I think 2026 is a target date of sorts for both the Big 10 and the SEC.

ND is the big enchilada and priority #1. ND could pick any travel partner to the Big 10 they want from Miami, FSU, GT, UNC, VA or Stanford and the Big 10 would take them. I think 2026 is a target date of sorts for both the Big 10 and the SEC.
What if ND chose BC as a partner to help a fellow Catholic institution . Would the B1G do it? Obviously lots of B1G alum in Boston, but the stadium and national interest are not up to par.

What if ND chose BC as a partner to help a fellow Catholic institution . Would the B1G do it? Obviously lots of B1G alum in Boston, but the stadium and national interest are not up to par.
I guess it depends how much leverage ND would have? I would hope they just couldn't dictate whomever they wanted and the B10 just would have to accept it without any negotiation.

Great question. IMO if that's the only way they could get ND then yes they would take them and I really wouldn't mind that much. At least it would give us an eastern team that back in the day could give us fits every once in a while.

The funny thing is before PS joined the Big 10, I always thought we were a better fit in the ACC. Would FSU and Clemson be leaving and the league teetering on collapse if we and ND were full members assuming they didn't brainfart with that GOR like they did. That would be a pretty angry top 4 of PS ND Clemson and FSU.
That won't happen. Like most schools, ND will only look out for themselves.
ND is not at all like most schools their perception and arrogance for self-worth exceeds all bounds. So very true that "ND will only look out for themselves."

I hope they die a slow painful death in Independent Hell.

Reactions: LMTLION
Well, today is the deadline for ACC teams to give notice for the 25-26 season. I think the legal processes will prevent any ACC realignment activity until these lawsuits are settled.

Well, today is the deadline for ACC teams to give notice for the 25-26 season. I think the legal processes will prevent any ACC realignment activity until these lawsuits are settled.
Pretty much a meaningless date and prevents nothing. The negotiations between the ACC and FSU are the important thing and if the ACC refuses to play ball an arbiter will make the call. The ACC loses no matter what. 2026 is still the target date.

FSU's biggest problem is they have nowhere to go except independence which they were never going to do. So far FSU isn't liking the Big 12 money, that will get better with PE. FSU really wants to be in the Big 10 but can't get in. Unless a drastic change happens at the Big 10 FSU is Big 12 bound.

Pretty much a meaningless date and prevents nothing. The negotiations between the ACC and FSU are the important thing and if the ACC refuses to play ball an arbiter will make the call. The ACC loses no matter what. 2026 is still the target date.

FSU's biggest problem is they have nowhere to go except independence which they were never going to do. So far FSU isn't liking the Big 12 money, that will get better with PE. FSU really wants to be in the Big 10 but can't get in. Unless a drastic change happens at the Big 10 FSU is Big 12 bound.
It would be neat to see them in the B1G if eventually they can achieve AAU status, but they have more of that deep south SEC vibe. It’s obvious that the SEC doesn’t want them at this point and I doubt Florida wants them in their conference at any point.

Click here for article -FSU, Clemson stood pat at ACC’s 2025 withdrawal deadline: What’s next in realignment battle

It is a pretty good article. It also contains some background for those that haven’t been paying too much attention to this legal battle. It does not look like the legal matters will be solved anytime soon. Now that we’re past the August 15 deadline to leave the ACC for the following year, it looks like the next important milestone is February. That is the due date for ESPN to exercise it’s renewal options for the ACC TV contract. Obviously ESPN has to play it safe so they don’t get drug into this lawsuit one way or the other. I don’t think anyone wants to touch FSU or Clemson during an active legal battle.

Click here for article -FSU, Clemson stood pat at ACC’s 2025 withdrawal deadline: What’s next in realignment battle

It is a pretty good article. It also contains some background for those that haven’t been paying too much attention to this legal battle. It does not look like the legal matters will be solved anytime soon. Now that we’re past the August 15 deadline to leave the ACC for the following year, it looks like the next important milestone is February. That is the due date for ESPN to exercise it’s renewal options for the ACC TV contract. Obviously ESPN has to play it safe so they don’t get drug into this lawsuit one way or the other. I don’t think anyone wants to touch FSU or Clemson during an active legal battle.
Don't see the B10 expanding anytime soon. ND is the crown jewel.

That's what they said just weeks before it was announced that Texas and OK were joining to the SEC.

Who do you have going to the Big 10 from the ACC? Stanford is back in play by the way.
Everything now revolving around the Composition clause and FSU's Buyout. Chicago based PE CO holding the money for the buyout.

So now the B10 is interested in FSU despite AAU status, etc?
I don't know why anyone is trying to convince us the Big Ten wants FSU or Clemson. It doesn't make sense. UNC and UVa are the main targets in the ACC along with, obviously, ND

Well, the winner of yesterday’s game is the school with AAU status. The B1G wanted GT in the past.

Everything now revolving around the Composition clause and FSU's Buyout. Chicago based PE CO holding the money for the buyout.
Yesterday was karma for FSU, the school suing to leave their conference due to a contract they willingly signed!

Yesterday was karma for FSU, the school suing to leave their conference due to a contract they willingly signed!
There's lots of things I dislike about FSU and I agree with you that they foolishly signed the contract but I don't have a problem with them trying to get out of a bad deal. Still happy Ga Tech beat them but if that was karma hopefully it was their reliance on the portal and trusting DJ U to run the show.

The latest discussion I’ve heard is that the argument is the ACC extended the contract improperly. The original contract went through 2026/7 (IIRC). The ACC commish then extended it to 2036 with ESPN but apparently never got a formal vote from the members to do that which would mean FSU and Clemson could leave after 2026 without worrying about GOR. That’s apparently the argument they’re fighting over now for FSU to get out of the conference.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT