ADVERTISEMENT

Lets Talk Big 10 Expansion

ND, Stanford, FSU or Miami, GT, Duke or UNC, UVA and that is a great super-conference with the east coast representation we always wanted.
I think ND and Stanford are almost a done deal. I think FSU eventually gets in if they are willing to wait GT too but I'm thinking unless something changes in NC all in that state might be SEC bound. I think the thing that would help us with UNC would be the SEC refusing to take NCS because the Big would take UNC and NCS as a package deal just to get UNC I'm not sure the SEC would but a deal with the SEC for UNC and Duke is probably acceptable to the SEC. Currently it's a freaking soap opera.

Virginia, UNC, Ga Tech, FSU, (maybe Miami), (ND of course would be nice).

I also think Utah, Colorado, Arizona also likely at some point. Maybe a Cal and/or Stanford. Think AFC (SEC) and NFC (B1G) end game.

All can work with reduced share payouts for some to start.
Big list, why not take everyone but Pitt

The more I think about it there is no reason for any of this to happen for years (2 at a minimum or more). All schools are in their place and the ACC is not going away until that whole GoR plays it's way through. ND locked up with NBC and content. Big 12 locked up. Stanford and Cal just joined the ACC. All this talk are just click bait. I'll believe any real conference expansion moves when reported by a verified, reputable source.

Reactions: Sullivan
The more I think about it there is no reason for any of this to happen for years (2 at a minimum or more). All schools are in their place and the ACC is not going away until that whole GoR plays it's way through. ND locked up with NBC and content. Big 12 locked up. Stanford and Cal just joined the ACC. All this talk are just click bait. I'll believe any real conference expansion moves when reported by a verified, reputable source.
You certainly could be right but it's fun to speculate when not much is happening until camp starts.
From all this back & forth it seems that the "wish list" that most here agree on is ND, Stanford (partner for ND), NC, NCState (pkg), FSU & GT. NC is apparently the one university over which the B1G and SEC will bid.

You’re saying that anonymous posters on a message board are not reputable? 😀 I do think there is enough chatter out there that there is some validity that things are happening behind the scenes with the teo lawsuits. And revenue sharing will be here in the next few years, so there is major motivation for ACC powers to find a way into the P2 sooner than later. But I agree there is a process here that requires time. If we don’t get an announcement by the mid August deadline for 2025, then there likely won’t be any movement until next summer at the earliest.

But as I said the Big 10 might not get any of their desired teams because VA has tied themselves to UNC and UNC is a big SEC lean.

Kinda weird that UVA is tying themselves to UNC when arguably they have more in common with UMD (including sharing the DC metro area) and have long competed with PSU for recruuts.

If NCST is tied to the hip to UNC and the B1G is now willing to take both, difficult to justify adding UVA without another plus (financially) program in order to not dilute the payouts by too much.

I would take Pitt, Syracuse, and BC in a heartbeat. I really would. I miss real rivals with some history.

That would be a disaster financially for the conference.

FSU and Clemson want to leave the ACC because those schools are an albatross financially.

This is the presidents prioritized ACC wish list. #1 ND (not really ACC) #2 UNC #3 GT #4 VA #5 Miami #6 NCS #7 FSU. Fox would be on board with all of those except NCS and not in that order. Also the teams who would opt for the Big 10 may not come in the order of the president's priority list. Someone coined the phrase (not me) in conference realignment "the best ability is availability". That may be the case of FSU or Clemson. I don't ever say never.

If that indeed is the order (there's a lot of disinformation being leaked), the powers that be in the conference are doing it all wrong.

There are only 4 schools that will pay for themselves or come close to doing so - the Domers, FSU, Clemson and UNC (UNC wouldn't command the network payout of the other 3, but they may make up for it with carriage fees and streaming revenue).

Clemson isn't a cultural fit and they still have a long ways to go academically, so they are out.

The Domers will do everything in their power to extend their independence and will only join a conference as a last resort, so can't really count on them as a basis for expansion.

UNC is questionable as to whether they can fully pay for themselves, but factoring everything, probably would come close. But having NCST tied at the hip changes that equation.

That leaves FSU. Yes, they are not yet AAU, but they are close and should be among the next few schools to attain AAU status next (the vast majority of research funding for universities arises from their medical school and FSU's med school has only been around for a quarter of a century, but is gaining in stature/research $ pretty rapidly).

Ideally (financial-wise), the B1G would add the Domers, UNC and FSU and stop there, but 21 is an awkward number and of the 3, only FSU may have a real interest in joining the B1G at this moment.

Adding schools like GT, UVA, NCST and even Miami to a certain extent don't make sense unless you pair them with one of the 3 aforementioned, which is why having FSU at the bottom is asinine.

In order to make the financial hit of adding a GT or UVA palpable, they need to be paired up with FSU.

Last edited:
It’s all rambling because it starts and ends with AAU status.

From War Eagle site…

FSU and Clemson were predicted by longtime college football radio host Greg Swaim to join the SEC on July 12 after failing to receive an invite from the Big Ten due to a lack of AAU accreditation.

FSU is not AAU, which appears to be a hard requirement for B1G presidents. As such the only ticket into Florida would be Miami, who is somewhat marginal in terms of tv viewership/revenue but the B1G likely would add them anyway just to get into the important state. The other Florida AAU school option is USF. With a Tampa location that region is filled with midwestern retirees and B1G alum, but obviously the school does not generate enough interest to garner an invite.

If true, silly because the Domers reportedly had a standing invite despite not having AAU status (which they, and Miami, only recently acquired).

FSU getting AAU is much more of a certainty than UVA or GT being a draw in football.

B1G said today that they’d have a Texas school by 2026. Tamu? Baylor? SMU? Tech?

If it's not UT or TAMU (either unlikely), not going to happen.

I’d like to see an eastern pod of Penn St, Florida State, Miami, North Carolina, Maryland, and Rutgers.

True. I was thinking maybe putting Notre Dame in there (assuming they join) with Iowa, Nebraska, and Wisconsin? So many variables depending on who joins the conference.

I just liked the idea of Penn St having a more eastern presence rather than an eastern pod of ACC teams and PSU stuck out of place in a Midwest pod with Ohio State, Indiana, Purdue etc.

One of the reasons why the Domers have been hesitant to join the B1G is because they don't want to be seen as a Midwestern school, so if they ever decided to join, likely will insist on being in the eastern pod.

Midwest/west
Nebraska
A&M or ND
Iowa
Wisconsin
Minnesota
Illinois

Midwest/east
OSU
Michigan
MSU
Purdue
Indiana
NW

As stated above, the Domers will likely insist in being in the eastern pod.

Also, would switch Northwestern and Illinois.

The Cats have a significantly more intense rivalry with Iowa and Wisconsin than does Illinois.

ND has a psychotic, even suicidal attraction to football independence. I hear Domer after Domer say that they'd rather go 3-9 every season and bring in 30 million less per year than Indiana and be independent...than join the Big Ten. Not sure if that's the whole fan base's wish or not...but I definitely think they'd want the perfect fit to join a conference.

What would that look like? Well, a "national" Big Ten where they wouldn't get labeled a small, midwestern private school could possibly do that. USC is already Big Ten...and I don't know if Stanford would be repulsive to the Big Ten IF they were to balloon to 24. Grab Miami and/or FSU and UNC and/or Duke...and that's about as "national" as you get.

ND could have Stanford, Miami, USC at protected rivals...
while Michigan/Purdue/Michigan State could be more frequent opponents for them...
and then you're sprinkling in NW trips (UW/UO) and Plains trips (Neb/Wiscy/Minny/Iowa) and eastern trips (PSU/UNC/Rutgers/OSU/UMD) and southern trips (Miami/FSU)...

I'm just saying...if you're looking for scheduling variety (quasi-independence in that way) plus oodles of money in a leviathon Big Ten...that might be the bait that makes ND bite.

Reactions: Parkland Fan
I definitely don't think the Big Ten is done at 18. But it's a grand master chess match now.

The conversation about Clemson and FSU talking to the Big 12 is peculiar. Why would they allow their stock to be tarnished with talk of going to anyone BUT the Big Ten or SEC? If there's any strategy at ALL to it, it could be so that the Big Ten (or SEC) is not seen as the only bad guy if they swoop in. Kind of spread out the villainy...i.e...."everyone wanted to poach the ACC, but we were the only good enough to do it."

I still don't see Clemson and FSU as a pair to the Big Ten. If it's those two together, then off to the SEC they will go.

FSU and Miami make a TON of sense for the Big Ten. It's the UCLA/USC approach...and I think it could be argued that the two combined pack as much punch as UCLA/USC. (Ranking them...1. USC, 2. FSU, 3. Miami, 4. UCLA)

If the Big Ten "struck first" I think FSU and Miami might be breaking the seal.

With the seal broken, UNC will be the next battleground. And I truly don't know who would win. Does the SEC want a football schlub, even if it is geographically tangental and an academic and Olympic sport power? Is it worth taking them (and let's say, Clemson with them) just to "defeat" the Big Ten's further growth and take away something from them that they want? It seems like the Big Ten would need to guarantee them Virginia (making 22 teams) to get them to find the most appeal in joining all those northern schools.

I think it's only a "Big Ten homer" who would predict us winning ALL those fights to get to 22 schools...and then capping it off with ND and Stanford (see my above post on ND)

Big Ten original ten
PSU and Nebraska
UMD and Rutgers
UCLA and USC
UW and UO
FSU and Miami
UNC and UVA
ND and Stanford

Reactions: psu00
Kinda weird that UVA is tying themselves to UNC when arguably they have more in common with UMD (including sharing the DC metro area) and have long competed with PSU for recruuts.

If NCST is tied to the hip to UNC and the B1G is now willing to take both, difficult to justify adding UVA without another plus (financially) program in order to not dilute the payouts by too much.

That would be a disaster financially for the conference.

FSU and Clemson want to leave the ACC because those schools are an albatross financially.

If that indeed is the order (there's a lot of disinformation being leaked), the powers that be in the conference are doing it all wrong.

There are only 4 schools that will pay for themselves or come close to doing so - the Domers, FSU, Clemson and UNC (UNC wouldn't command the network payout of the other 3, but they may make up for it with carriage fees and streaming revenue).

Clemson isn't a cultural fit and they still have a long ways to go academically, so they are out.

The Domers will do everything in their power to extend their independence and will only join a conference as a last resort, so can't really count on them as a basis for expansion.

UNC is questionable as to whether they can fully pay for themselves, but factoring everything, probably would come close. But having NCST tied at the hip changes that equation.

That leaves FSU. Yes, they are not yet AAU, but they are close and should be among the next few schools to attain AAU status next (the vast majority of research funding for universities arises from their medical school and FSU's med school has only been around for a quarter of a century, but is gaining in stature/research $ pretty rapidly).

Ideally (financial-wise), the B1G would add the Domers, UNC and FSU and stop there, but 21 is an awkward number and of the 3, only FSU may have a real interest in joining the B1G at this moment.

Adding schools like GT, UVA, NCST and even Miami to a certain extent don't make sense unless you pair them with one of the 3 aforementioned, which is why having FSU at the bottom is asinine.

In order to make the financial hit of adding a GT or UVA palpable, they need to be paired up with FSU.
Nothing happens until Yormark breaks it loose (FSU/Clemson get looose) like he did in the PAC then the SEC and the Big will rush in to try and get those teams most valuable to them. A wish list is a wish list it is not necessarily a get list. This will probably not shake out to every fan liking or the Big 10's liking for that matter. But they will go after their top 2 in ND and UNC first then it just depends on how the cookie crumbles.

Restructuring is coming to the ACC via ESPN it will probably initially survive as an 8-team league. So, everyone projected to leave may not actually leave so we shall see. Everything is so fluid with so many irons in the fire.

Key points to remember though...

The ACC's contract with ESPN is through 2035. Everyone is locked in until that is broken. ESPN has zero incentive to break it. Zero.

Breaking it will cost millions of dollars for the teams leaving. Therefore, they'll need to be MAKING millions more dollars than they currently are to break it.

Only the BIg Ten or SEC can pay that kind of money. (Sorry Big 12.)

Just as the Pac-2 is temporarily "surviving" to reap the penalty fees from the other Pac-12 defectors...the ACC will survive in some form.

This next phase of realignment MUST happen with one or two HIGH value targets breaking off. And that can only be done by the Big Ten/SEC and you're likely pairs are Miami/FSU, FSU/Clemson, Clemson/UNC, UNC/Miami, or FSU/UNC.

The B
Key points to remember though...

The ACC's contract with ESPN is through 2035. Everyone is locked in until that is broken. ESPN has zero incentive to break it. Zero.

Breaking it will cost millions of dollars for the teams leaving. Therefore, they'll need to be MAKING millions more dollars than they currently are to break it.

Only the BIg Ten or SEC can pay that kind of money. (Sorry Big 12.)

Just as the Pac-2 is temporarily "surviving" to reap the penalty fees from the other Pac-12 defectors...the ACC will survive in some form.

This next phase of realignment MUST happen with one or two HIGH value targets breaking off. And that can only be done by the Big Ten/SEC and you're likely pairs are Miami/FSU, FSU/Clemson, Clemson/UNC, UNC/Miami, or FSU/UNC.
The Big 12 is about to get 1.2 Billion from Allstate when the ink is dry. They will be able to compete. No stated timeframe as of yet but I would guess sometime this year.

UNC and UVA have the south’s ’oldest rivalry’ IIRC. They’re sort of the Old South blue blood/ old money in the ACC. There will be a push to connect those 2.

If North Carolina politics gets involved and tries to tie NC St to UNC it gets complicated. Im not sure UNC really pays for itself football wise but it certainly doesn’t with NC St in tow.

Last edited:
Reactions: PSU4U
Breaking it will cost millions of dollars for the teams leaving

The current setup says that the ACC owns their rights until 2035. FSU can leave, but any compensation is owed to the ACC. Plus whatever the penalty is for leaving. That is why no ACC teams left this cycle of realignment. It's cutting your own throat.

UNC and UVA have the south’s ’oldest rivalry’ IIRC. They’re sort of the Old South blue blood/ old money in the ACC. There will be a push to connect those 2.

If North Carolina politics gets involved and tries to tie NC St to UNC it gets complicated. Im not sure UNC really pays for itself football wise but it certainly doesn’t with NC St in tow.
True but it's not all about football it just isn't.

Nothing happens until Yormark breaks it loose (FSU/Clemson get looose) like he did in the PAC then the SEC and the Big will rush in to try and get those teams most valuable to them. A wish list is a wish list it is not necessarily a get list. This will probably not shake out to every fan liking or the Big 10's liking for that matter. But they will go after their top 2 in ND and UNC first then it just depends on how the cookie crumbles.

Restructuring is coming to the ACC via ESPN it will probably initially survive as an 8-team league. So, everyone projected to leave may not actually leave so we shall see. Everything is so fluid with so many irons in the fire.

Agree that the P2 are willing to be patient since they don't want to get ducked into any kind of litigation.

My point simply is that in order to make adding a school like GT, UVA, Stanford, etc have any sense, need to have a revenue generator in the fold and right now, seems unlikely that either the Domers or UNC would be willing partners, so that leaves FSU.

The Big 12 is about to get 1.2 Billion from Allstate when the ink is dry. They will be able to compete. No stated timeframe as of yet but I would guess sometime this year.

Even at $45 million/yr - that equates to around $3 million per school, hardly a game changer.

Plus the B1G and SEC could probably get similar $ without having to entirely sell out and change their conference name.

Still, it's kinda weird because the Cavs are at best 3rd when it comes to being a rival of the Tar Heels (before they left, the Terps were a bigger rival to the Heels).

Reactions: PSU4U and psu00
The current setup says that the ACC owns their rights until 2035. FSU can leave, but any compensation is owed to the ACC. Plus whatever the penalty is for leaving. That is why no ACC teams left this cycle of realignment. It's cutting your own throat.
What would happen if FSU, for example, left for a new conference and said I want $0 compensation for their TV rights? They could go the SMU route and have alumni, or possible PE, make up the difference. That would really screw the ACC.

What would happen if FSU, for example, left for a new conference and said I want $0 compensation for their TV rights? They could go the SMU route and have alumni, or possible PE, make up the difference. That would really screw the ACC.

I'm not going to say it isn't possible because that could be a route they are pursuing currently, but the difference here is FSU is wanting out of the ACC to gain the bigger payout and the Big 10/SEC would probably get sued for advertising "FSU vs conference opponent" and string it along further.

Reactions: SheldonJoe2215
The Big Ten and SEC aren't interested in adding Florida State, at least if the ACC is still in existence.

According to Brett McMurphy, the Big Ten and SEC are unlikely to add FSU if the school leaves the ACC and the conference survives.

McMurphy mentions that the Big Ten and SEC don't want FSU because of how the school has been a "disruptive partner."

"Big Ten & SEC don’t want FSU because adding FSU doesn’t make financial sense, no desire to expand & 'they’ve been a disruptive partner,' sources said," McMurphy tweeted.

Have no idea if these sources are correct since it names both the SEC and B1G as not interested in FSU. These things can change in an instant when a vote takes place.

Have no idea if these sources are correct since it names both the SEC and B1G as not interested in FSU. These things can change in an instant when a vote takes place.
Yeah there's lots of stuff out there today that FSU isn't wanted by either the SEC or Big 10 and that they are viewed as a conference disruptor based on how they are going after the ACC, and an article quoting a few anonymous university presidents saying FSU is making mistakes and their only path to those 2 conferences right now is if the ACC completely dissolves. Who knows what's true.

Agree that the P2 are willing to be patient since they don't want to get ducked into any kind of litigation.

My point simply is that in order to make adding a school like GT, UVA, Stanford, etc have any sense, need to have a revenue generator in the fold and right now, seems unlikely that either the Domers or UNC would be willing partners, so that leaves FSU.

Even at $45 million/yr - that equates to around $3 million per school, hardly a game changer.

Plus the B1G and SEC could probably get similar $ without having to entirely sell out and change their conference name.

Still, it's kinda weird because the Cavs are at best 3rd when it comes to being a rival of the Tar Heels (before they left, the Terps were a bigger rival to the Heels).
People have to quit focusing on the immediate situations when it comes to inviting a university also Presidents consider many things when inviting a university. It's never been all about football with those guys. They are not inviting football teams they are inviting universities they get sports teams when they invite universities, is that a consideration yes but football is just one thing they look at. MD is trying to be and I think will be helpful in luring VA to the Big. MD has an ongoing relationship with VA. The Big ten has always had relationships with VA GT and Stanford and that counts along with other things like AAU Research Endowments overall financial health etc. The real money to the conference is Research and Endowments not necessarily football.

FSU could and would undoubtedly help themselves if they could partner with UNC VA or GT to the Big ten. Same with ND any team that could help bring ND to the Big Ten would probably get in especially if ND said they wanted them.

I tried to inform people that there was a movement afoot by the Big Ten university presidents to reassert themselves as the decision makers and power brokers for their own reasons. You're seeing that playout now.

All the reports say that the SEC and B1G want absolutely nothing to do with FSU and Clemson. Apparently the lawsuit against the ACC has made them appear to be toxic and the P2 wants nothing to do with any of it.

All the reports say that the SEC and B1G want absolutely nothing to do with FSU and Clemson. Apparently the lawsuit against the ACC has made them appear to be toxic and the P2 wants nothing to do with any of it.
It seems FSU has other work to do before the Big will get interested like AAU and some other things in the research area. The Big Ten hates instability even the appearance of it. FSU haS pretty much everything else in line. But some of the presidents seem to be scared off because of FSU's willingness to be disruptive when they don't get their own way. Those presidents like everything to be in a box with pretty wrapping and a bow on it. They like everyone singing Kumbaya at least as far as public consumption goes. Plus, it seems they had Petitti put the brakes on 3rd party conversations for now until someone breaks out of the ACC. They probably already have most of the info they would need to have 1st party talks when the time comes.

Info coming my way has slowed to a crawl so I'm looking forward to fall camp and the start of the season until something breaks loose.

Reactions: LMTLION
It seems FSU has other work to do before the Big will get interested like AAU and some other things in the research area. The Big Ten hates instability even the appearance of it. FSU haS pretty much everything else in line. But some of the presidents seem to be scared off because of FSU's willingness to be disruptive when they don't get their own way. Those presidents like everything to be in a box with pretty wrapping and a bow on it. They like everyone singing Kumbaya at least as far as public consumption goes. Plus, it seems they had Petitti put the brakes on 3rd party conversations for now until someone breaks out of the ACC. They probably already have most of the info they would need to have 1st party talks when the time comes.

Info coming my way has slowed to a crawl so I'm looking forward to fall camp and the start of the season until something breaks loose.
Yeah, I have seen enough new info to conclude that this speculation is just that, speculation. And FSU may just have to make nice with the ACC or take the alternative of independent status or Big 12, and both options are not ideal.

Nobody is concerned with toxic. Everybody is concerned with money. If FSU can break the GoR, somebody will take them.

Yeah there's lots of stuff out there today that FSU isn't wanted by either the SEC or Big 10 and that they are viewed as a conference disruptor based on how they are going after the ACC, and an article quoting a few anonymous university presidents saying FSU is making mistakes and their only path to those 2 conferences right now is if the ACC completely dissolves. Who knows what's true.

It’s just slightly hypocritical for the Big Ten or SEC officials to call anyone a ‘conference disrupter’ considering what those conferences did to the PAC 12 and Big 12 with Texas/Oklahoma. FSU and Clemson are reacting to the situation caused by the big 2 to assure their own futures.

Nobody is concerned with toxic. Everybody is concerned with money. If FSU can break the GoR, somebody will take them.
Listen FSU has work to do relative to what the presidents want in a university. It would appear because of some issues FSU is well down the list and I have been told that Clemson isn't even on it. Recently some things have been clarified where the president's interests are. People/fans can try and make expansion for the Big 10 all about money but it simply isn't.

Was it all about money for OR getting an invite yes it was all about that Brand for FOX and they had to do some serious horse trading with the presidents and AD's in order for FOX to make it work out.

That is not going to be the case this time around. For money and all other things two teams are Unicorns in that light and they are ND and UNC. Beyond those two nothing is certain for invites and everything is still fluid.

As always do your own research.

Listen FSU has work to do relative to what the presidents want in a university. It would appear because of some issues FSU is well down the list and I have been told that Clemson isn't even on it. Recently some things have been clarified where the president's interests are. People/fans can try and make expansion for the Big 10 all about money but it simply isn't.

Was it all about money for OR getting an invite yes it was all about that Brand for FOX and they had to do some serious horse trading with the presidents and AD's in order for FOX to make it work out.

That is not going to be the case this time around. For money and all other things two teams are Unicorns in that light and they are ND and UNC. Beyond those two nothing is certain for invites and everything is still fluid.

So, where does that leave Clemson? Do they have a lifeline to the SEC or is the B12 their backup plan?

Personally, I think Clemson is overrated. They had a great run the past 10+ years, but remember, the term 'Clemsoning' was once a thing for a reason.

I wouldn't be shocked if the people claiming FSU is toxic are the same people trying to negotiate their way into their own conference. It's just a tactic.

I have no clue about who wants them, or where they place on any lists and it's not researchable. I just know they will be in 1 of the big 2 or the Big 12 will scoop them up.

Reactions: psu00 and PSU4U
I wouldn't be shocked if the people claiming FSU is toxic are the same people trying to negotiate their way into their own conference. It's just a tactic.

I have no clue about who wants them, or where they place on any lists and it's not researchable. I just know they will be in 1 of the big 2 or the Big 12 will scoop them up.
ESPN has been chumming the waters with half-truths and pure Bullshit for a while. They have their own AX to grind.

Reactions: lazydave841
So, where does that leave Clemson? Do they have a lifeline to the SEC or is the B12 their backup plan?

Personally, I think Clemson is overrated. They had a great run the past 10+ years, but remember, the term 'Clemsoning' was once a thing for a reason.
Before I allowed some people to change my mind, I always believed FSU Clemson and Miami were Big 12 bound assuming the ACC implodes, but then I went with the so-called conventional wisdom/hype. I've now gone full circle.

On the things the Brainiacs are interested in Clemson brings none of that to the table. FSU has much work to do and may have a Big 10 spot assuming they can get the work done and are willing to wait which I don't think they are willing to wait. So much depends on how successful the Big 10 can be with their top choices. No one knows how this will actually play out. Everything is fluid.

I still contend the league will eventually go to 24 teams and they will still need two more teams in the west. Stanford probably being one and then just for football reasons I'll root for Utah or a team in Texas.

Reactions: SheldonJoe2215
Before I allowed some people to change my mind, I always believed FSU Clemson and Miami were Big 12 bound assuming the ACC implodes, but then I went with the so-called conventional wisdom/hype. I've now gone full circle.

On the things the Brainiacs are interested in Clemson brings none of that to the table. FSU has much work to do and may have a Big 10 spot assuming they can get the work done and are willing to wait which I don't think they are willing to wait. So much depends on how successful the Big 10 can be with their top choices. No one knows how this will actually play out. Everything is fluid.

I still contend the league will eventually go to 24 teams and they will still need two more teams in the west. Stanford probably being one and then just for football reasons I'll root for Utah or a team in Texas.
I think we are going to see something totally different. NIL and the Portal are sea changes to college sports. Few teams are going to be able to keep up and be competitive in big-time football. So I think we are going to see a super football league of something like 48 teams. Other teams can play into or out of the league like using relegation. The bottom four teams drop out and the best four teams of the lower division can step up.

But it is going to take teams with large stadiums, alumni and brand awareness to stick. Teams like Iowa State, Washington State and Wake Forest will find it difficult to keep up. The cost of maintaining a team plus NIL will be too much. Basketball and other sports will be different.

C
I think we are going to see something totally different. NIL and the Portal are sea changes to college sports. Few teams are going to be able to keep up and be competitive in big-time football. So I think we are going to see a super football league of something like 48 teams. Other teams can play into or out of the league like using relegation. The bottom four teams drop out and the best four teams of the lower division can step up.

But it is going to take teams with large stadiums, alumni and brand awareness to stick. Teams like Iowa State, Washington State and Wake Forest will find it difficult to keep up. The cost of maintaining a team plus NIL will be too much. Basketball and other sports will be different.
Can't disagree.

Here's an interesting tidbit Moody Fla AG says Floridians will see ACC ESPN media rights deal. Things just got really interesting on that front.

Reactions: Obliviax
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT