ADVERTISEMENT

Mat Town Open II

Searched for "badass in the weeds" gif....... NUTTIN
He's a badass, just ask him. And he's definitely into the weeds.

a2qc5b6g3iy01.gif

Shout out to Evans; possibly Penn State’s best ever career back-up.

30-9 in his career and 20-5 over the past two seasons with losses only to Beau (in SV), Kasak (TB2 and 4-2), Cornella (in SV) and Hines (6-4).

The all time greatest career backup award almost went to Cassar until he got a chance to start and won a national championship by beating an all time great (twice) who never lost to anyone else in his whole career.
Matt Brown sitting behind Ed was same story.

Kinda

37-19 but has been a starter at times (tougher to maintain record going up against B1G starters).

I think Evans has the better win list between the two though.
He’s also leveled up this year. Last year, he looked more like a room guy to where we needed Haines to come out of RS. This year, he looks like a potential AA who is stuck behind three potential champs.

Comparing Evans and Barraclough…

TB’s wins over NQ+:
Fish (R12)
Gilcher (NQ)
Munson (NQ)
Eyler (NQ)

DE wins over NQ+:
Koderhandt (NQ)
Titus (NQ)
LaJoie (NQ)
Flores (NQ)
Cornellla (NQ)
Rooks (NQ)
Composto (AA)
Hamdan (NQ)

And while Barraclough has become what he is now, Evans was beating NQs in his freshman year, even in the 1st tournament he wrestled as a freshman.

Reactions: Psalm 1 guy
Comparing Evans and Barraclough…

TB’s wins over NQ+:
Fish (R12)
Gilcher (NQ)
Munson (NQ)
Eyler (NQ)

DE wins over NQ+:
Koderhandt (NQ)
Titus (NQ)
LaJoie (NQ)
Flores (NQ)
Cornellla (NQ)
Rooks (NQ)
Composto (AA)
Hamdan (NQ)

And while Barraclough has become what he is now, Evans was beating NQs in his freshman year, even in the 1st tournament he wrestled as a freshman.

Not folkstyle, but what Barraclough just did in freestyle was/is pretty impressive as well and gave him a couple of very high quality wins (if you want to include freestyle results and I can see the reason for doing so or not doing so).

I sense a new thread and/or poll (as suggested) once some research is performed.

I think Ira is on this list too

Reactions: SlipperyPete12
The all time greatest career backup award almost went to Cassar until he got a chance to start and won a national championship by beating an all time great (twice) who never lost to anyone else in his whole career.
English was much closer to it since he didn't get the starting job until after the Alton-Grajales debacle late his SR year. One dual, then B10s and NCAAs.

English was much closer to it since he didn't get the starting job until after the Alton-Grajales debacle late his SR year. One dual, then B10s and NCAAs.
I would consider English a career backup. Never held down the job as a starter for a full season.

English - yes
Pipher - yes
Cassar - no
Vollrath - yes
Evans - yes
Barraclough - yes
Brown - no
Seth Nevills - hard to say, he did have a season of starting, but it was the Covid season
Lubert - yes

didn't English almost beat that kid from NW that won the title.I think he was up by one with about 20 seconds left and got taken down!

It was mentioned in another thread that Asher Cunningham may have suffered a pretty serious injury at Mat Town. Anyone have any insight on his injury from the match?

Reactions: 1AA

No. Not even top 5 as a backup. Cassar did not do anything until he became starter at 285. He was hurt for two years.

Probably a good chance Forrest ends up at OSU given his relationship with Coleman and others.

But we’ve also seen how many times now that one talented kid going elsehwre isn’t going to change a whole lot for PSU
He also can't even be contacted until next summer and won't sign until November 2025. Plenty will happen from now until then.

Reactions: Sullivan
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT