ADVERTISEMENT

MI@tOSU, IA@IL, etc...

I like the Tin Man.

Stalling, he's STALLING!! Rivera, no call!

tin man GIF

There were other bigger reasons for not making Lehigh's lineup, such as the out-of-state drug arrest. Glad he's put that behind him.
Not to dredge up too much of his past.... as I didn't even know he attended/wrestled at Lehigh, but what are you referring to regarding the drug arrest?

Sorry guys, I'm not on the board enough to know your inuendos and such. Without context it came off as a diss to Michael.
As Hawk fans we are well aware of the injury bug we seem to have and wrestlers not being coached up to expectations. 😏
It had nothing to do with injuries or the like.

It had everything to do with the fact that Iowa brought him in to change the culture, then while he was there tried to bring in both Downey and the Ferraris.

What a frivolous waste of his leadership abilities.

It had nothing to do with injuries or the like.

It had everything to do with the fact that Iowa brought him in to change the culture, then while he was there tried to bring in both Downey and the Ferraris.

What a frivolous waste of his leadership abilities.
Nothing was wasted. Mike was a great leader and Hawkeye

Not to dredge up too much of his past.... as I didn't even know he attended/wrestled at Lehigh, but what are you referring to regarding the drug arrest?
I can't find anything on the felony charges in North Carolina, but they were drug-related. Those charges were reduced to misdemeanors, so presumably he cooperated once in custody.

The amount he had in his car at the West Shore arrest indicates he didn't just start using the week before.

Again, glad he has put all of this in his past.

Reactions: mhlarch
I'd go Ramirez, Olejnik and then Hamiti. I'm surprised Hamiti hasn't gotten much better but he seems to have actually regressed since his freshman year.
I'd probably go Ramirez - Hamiti - Olejnik.

Olejnik beat Ramirez 4-2 this year, but Ramirez will almost certainly get a higher seed at nationals. That's Ramirez's only loss. Olejnik lost to Carr 8-1 and Hall 5-1. Hamiti lost only to Carr 2-0. Hamiti beat Olejnik at 2023 nationals.

In terms of NCAA seeding: Ramirez will absolutely get a top 4 seed. Hamiti will get a top 4 seed if he wins B10s, otherwise probably in the 5-6 range. Olejnik will probably be a little lower, definitely top 10 but not top 5-6, because he's probably 4th at B12s behind O'Toole, Carr, and Hall.

Not so sure about Hamiti regressing. He placed the same in 2023 as in 2022. This year he's 16-1 with a 12-0 win over the same Hall who nearly beat O'Toole, and is at 89% bonus.

There has to be a NIL deal in this for Lewan.

“Hi, I am Taylor Lewan. If my matches don’t put you to sleep Ambien certainly will…”
315-lb Taylor Lewan moves with more purpose than 157-lb Will Lewan.

I'd go Ramirez, Olejnik and then Hamiti. I'm surprised Hamiti hasn't gotten much better but he seems to have actually regressed since his freshman year.
Hamati finished 6th and 6th at NCAAs his first two season, so not too shabby. Lost to Amine a couple times and to Griffith a couple times. Also 16-1 so far in 2023-204.

Most guys can only dream they would regress like that.

Last edited:
Reactions: Reslo
I can't find anything on the felony charges in North Carolina, but they were drug-related. Those charges were reduced to misdemeanors, so presumably he cooperated once in custody.

The amount he had in his car at the West Shore arrest indicates he didn't just start using the week before.

Thanks El-Jefe, after reading that I do recall those incidents. Happy to see he seems to have moved past all that.

Also with all the posts about Edmond not performing to up to expected potential I went to check out the Illinois coaching staff. They seem to have a solid staff.....with assistants J. Hunter, I. Martinez, A. O'Connor. Ed Ruth not listed though. I thought he was coaching his little brother?

Reactions: PD4thespawn
After watching Olejnik vs Carr there is zero doubt in my mind that MM's floor is 3rd. Carr barely had to get out of 2nd gear to beat that guy.
KOT
Carr
Mitch
All world champs
Been there,done that.
165 is a three man race

Last edited:
Olejnik did have a pretty controlled victory over Hamiti at the All Star Classic this year, but they're a toss-up. I believe Mitch is either tier 1 or stands alone in tier 2 at this weight, and that's really saying something. Guess we'll see...

He wasn't just using drugs, he was selling drugs. From the article:

"He also had a scale, a grinder and unopened blunt wrappers, police said."

Last edited:
Reactions: SlipperyPete12
Thanks El-Jefe, after reading that I do recall those incidents. Happy to see he seems to have moved past all that.

Also with all the posts about Edmond not performing to up to expected potential I went to check out the Illinois coaching staff. They seem to have a solid staff.....with assistants J. Hunter, I. Martinez, A. O'Connor. Ed Ruth not listed though. I thought he was coaching his little brother?
Edmond transferred to Illinois because Ed was there. I don't remember why Ed left, but his spot is now filled by O'Connor.

Edmond was always a very good wrestler but IMO had way overinflated expecations because of his brother, and from wrestling AA for his first 3 years of HS. He might have never won states had he been in AAA the entire time -- his SO AAA weight had 3x champ Cam Coy, 2x champ Gerrit Nijenjuis, and some Carter Starocci guy. Trent Hidlay won Edmond's JR AAA weight. Edmond went AAA for his SR year and got dominated by Nijenhuis at states.

He wasn't just using drugs, he was selling drugs. From the article:

"He also had a scale, a grinder and unopened blunt wrappers, police said."
Edmond was dealing pot. I have a good friend who runs camps locally and brings in some of the best wrestlers in the country through connections he has. He knows Ed well and said he is amazing with kids. It was pretty well known what his brother was doing. They sent him out to Illinois to get him away from home and keep him out of trouble.

After watching Olejnik vs Carr there is zero doubt in my mind that MM's floor is 3rd. Carr barely had to get out of 2nd gear to beat that guy.
The Hamiti bout I didn’t see the match, but Olejnik frustrated Hamiti at the All-Star Classic.

Olejnik beat Ramirez 4-2 this year, but Ramirez will almost certainly get a higher seed at nationals. That's Ramirez's only loss. Olejnik lost to Carr 8-1 and Hall 5-1. Hamiti lost only to Carr 2-0. Hamiti beat Olejnik at 2023 nationals.

In terms of NCAA seeding: Ramirez will absolutely get a top 4 seed. Hamiti will get a top 4 seed if he wins B10s, otherwise probably in the 5-6 range. Olejnik will probably be a little lower, definitely top 10 but not top 5-6, because he's probably 4th at B12s behind O'Toole, Carr, and Hall.

Not so sure about Hamiti regressing. He placed the same in 2023 as in 2022. This year he's 16-1 with a 12-0 win over the same Hall who nearly beat O'Toole, and is at 89% bonus.
It doesn’t officially count, but Olejnik beat Hamiti at the All-Star Classic last November.

Edit: I didn’t see nerfstate’s post.

I believe O'Toole majored Ramirez today. I agree with you on Hamiti. I think he is better this year. So......Hamiti-Ramirez-Olejnik?

I believe O'Toole majored Ramirez today. I agree with you on Hamiti. I think he is better this year. So......Hamiti-Ramirez-Olejnik?
Yes, this.

I hadn't looked up their records -- Hamiti is 3-0 vs Ramirez. Pinned him in the 2022 dual, then 15-11 win at 2022 nationals, then 14-4 win in the 2023 dual. So Hamiti belongs ahead of Ramirez regardless of today.

Still, if Psycho wins B10s, Ramirez will get seeded the highest of the 3 -- and there's a chance Hamiti would get Carr in the quarters.

Reactions: SlipperyPete12
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT