ADVERTISEMENT

Match Thread Michigan - Fri, Jan 19

backdrft76

Gold Member
Sep 7, 2012
Setting this up now since there 's already some discussion on Friday's upcoming match at MI.

Match will be live on BTN. 6 pm eastern.

Yes, even Michigan. At the very most they'll only win 3 matches: 125, 149, and mayyyyybe HWT (Davison is good enough that Kerk can't make mistakes). But more likely we'll win HWT and pick off 125. (Rooting for Kasak, but Gomez is still a returning national finalist.)

Other than progress at 125 and 149, the real info is how readily Psycho's irresistible force overcomes Amine's immovable object.
125: Davis v DeAugustino
133: Nagao v Ragusin
141: Bartlett v Lemley
149: Kasak v Gomez
157: Haines v Mattin
165: Mesenbrink v Amine
174: Starocci v Griffith
184: Truax v Bullock
197: Brooks v Striggow
HWT: Kerk v Davison

Ok people how do we see it this Friday? Will Truax go? Who's ducking for Michigan?

BigTen Network at 6 PM. First part of a wrestling double header with Iowa vs Purdue after.

Bernie has to go......IMO

Reactions: USPMAN
Bernie 100% will go, guessing Cael wanted Barr to get a Rec Hall match as a freshman.

Big matchups obviously are

125 - DeAugustino is 3 right now but this still feels winnable for Davis overall who continues to improve
133 - Cannon is done for the year unfortunately, he beat Nagao pretty good last year. Ragusin will be a solid challenge as well but like Aaron against him better
149 - Sink or Swim for Kasak
165 - Amine will make Mesenbrink wrestle his pace so I am prepared for a frustrating match
174 - I think the score will be close but Carter won't be threatened
285 - Davison is tricky but Kerk seems a level above

For the freshmen...this is sort of a "pre-carver" like experience....will serve all 3 well come Carver time.

Reactions: 07mantle
Which of the three Michigan threads is the official one? We got triplets! Lol!

bikini GIF

Which is the best of the three?
Kate Upton Girl GIF

Last edited:
BigTen Network at 6 PM. First part of a wrestling double header with Iowa vs Purdue after.

Bernie has to go......IMO
Actually, it’s a triple header. Nebraska at Minnesota follows at 10 PM.

Last edited:
Reactions: mhlarch
I see 133 and 165 as tossups. UM favored at 125 and 149, and PSU favored at the others.

Just did a web search on the probable Michigan lineup......saw some variations....don't think I found exactly what to expect. Could anyone post the expected matchups?

I see 133 and 165 as tossups. UM favored at 125 and 149, and PSU favored at the others.
Until Mesenbrink loses or has a close match against a non-teammate, then I can't see how he can be considered a toss-up, unless it's against O'Toole or Carr. Who does Amine train with that can prepare him for Mesenbrink? Who does any team have to prepare their 165 pounder for the onslaught that Mesenbrink brings?

That's got to be like trying to catch a rattlesnake for the first time. It's so unpredictable that you have to be extremely cautious or you'll lose quickly. Once you figure out how it moves, then you can approach the situation more confidently, but the first time is always challenging & uncomfortable.

Until Mesenbrink loses or has a close match against a non-teammate, then I can't see how he can be considered a toss-up, unless it's against O'Toole or Carr. Who does Amine train with that can prepare him for Mesenbrink? Who does any team have to prepare their 165 pounder for the onslaught that Mesenbrink brings?

That's got to be like trying to catch a rattlesnake for the first time. It's so unpredictable that you have to be extremely cautious or you'll lose quickly. Once you figure out how it moves, then you can approach the situation more confidently, but the first time is always challenging & uncomfortable.
Mitchell “The Rattlesnake” Messenbrink…….I suppose it could catch on👎

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: SlipperyPete12

Well, if there's one guy Psycho will face all year who wrestles cautiously ...

This is his first match against someone who actively slows the pace and has proven he can do so against AA-level opponents. I agree that Psycho should win. Margin of victory will say a lot about his postseason projection.

Amine has held Carr, Hamiti, Monday, and Griffith to 3 points or less. He knows how to slow down good wrestlers, it should be a good test.

That said, I'm not betting against Mitch.

Well, if there's one guy Psycho will face all year who wrestles cautiously ...

This is his first match against someone who actively slows the pace and has proven he can do so against AA-level opponents. I agree that Psycho should win. Margin of victory will say a lot about his postseason projection.
I totally agree & wouldn't make the claim that Mesenbrink will tech him, just that he should be the favorite, even if a slight one, and not just a toss-up.

Bernie 100% will go, guessing Cael wanted Barr to get a Rec Hall match as a freshman.

125 - DeAugustino is 3 right now but this still feels winnable for Davis overall who continues to improve
133 - Cannon is done for the year unfortunately, he beat Nagao pretty good last year. Ragusin will be a solid challenge as well but like Aaron against him better
165 - Amine will make Mesenbrink wrestle his pace so I am prepared for a frustrating match
I am not certain anyone can make Mitchell wrestle their pace or slow him down, he is non stop from beginning to end..

Last edited:
I agree that Amine is great at slowing the match down but I don’t think I’ve ever seen someone attack with the frequency that MM does. A lot of times he doesn’t even set anything up but by attacking he is getting into scrambles and wrestling positions where he excels instead of just handfighting and faking. Guys like Nolf and Nickal wrestled a high pace and attacked a lot but Mesenbrink is on a whole different level, really from anyone I’ve ever seen. I doubt it will change against Amine but the question is if he convert a high percentage like he has been. I expect MM to win something like 7-3 but with these 3 point tds I could see him scoring 10+ as well

comes down to the counter and not everyone has the multiple counters that it takes to stifle MM. Is very enjoyable to watch... seems to be cut out of the same cloth as Jason....:)

comes down to the counter and not everyone has the multiple counters that it takes to stifle MM. Is very enjoyable to watch... seems to be cut out of the same cloth as Jason....:)
My litmus test for all these potential national champs is can they get off the bottom against a quality opponent when in a tight match.
That's the last box to check for me with MM.

LOL MM makes his own pace!

Reactions: danoftw
Amine has held Carr, Hamiti, Monday, and Griffith to 3 points or less. He knows how to slow down good wrestlers, it should be a good test.

That said, I'm not betting against Mitch.
yea they can't score any points when amine stalls the whole match!

I totally agree & wouldn't make the claim that Mesenbrink will tech him, just that he should be the favorite, even if a slight one, and not just a toss-up.
Amine should be favored due to higher ranking, but MM should take CA's #5 with a win. If voting on tags, I like The Rattler over Psycho, even "Manic" for some M action. Amine is certainly the test we've been waiting for.

adjective​

1. Full of or characterized by frenetic activity or wild excitement.

Reactions: PSUbluTX and jack66
Amine should be favored due to higher ranking, but MM should take CA's #5 with a win.
I get what you're saying, but I just don't think Mesenbrink's ranking is accurate yet. Until we see him lose we won't know where his ceiling is, and from what we've seen so far, he's a total Psycho, because he's constantly attacking.

He'll have a great test this coming weekend, but unless someone can ride him for an entire period & wear him down, then how are they going to stop all of his attacks? Eventually, he's going to get one of them, so until someone finds a way to slow him down, I would expect him to keep winning.

I might also just be wearing some thick homer glasses, but he's quickly become one of my favorite wrestlers to watch. I don't lollygag during the mid-match break anymore, because I don't want to miss a second of Mitchell's matches!

He'll have a great test this coming weekend, but unless someone can ride him for an entire period & wear him down, then how are they going to stop all of his attacks? Eventually, he's going to get one of them, so until someone finds a way to slow him down, I would expect him to keep winning.
Barraclough was able to ride him and kept it close. Of course, Barraclough has a win over Fish this season as well as freestyle wins last month over former NCAA finalists Berger and Lavallee. So TB165 looks like AA level this year too.

Don’t get me wrong; I think MM is top 3 and possibly a champ. Just saying we have seen the scenario you mentioned.

I'm thinking that Austin Gomez's mouth is watering after seeing Kasak go upper body against Rooks. Hopefully Kasak will resist the urge on Friday and uses Gomez's aggressiveness against him.

Reactions: USPMAN
Barraclough was able to ride him and kept it close. Of course, Barraclough has a win over Fish this season as well as freestyle wins last month over former NCAA finalists Berger and Lavallee. So TB165 looks like AA level this year too.

Don’t get me wrong; I think MM is top 3 and possibly a champ. Just saying we have seen the scenario you mentioned.

I think he's top 3 too, that's why I think he's the favorite over the #5 guy. A teammate who has practiced with him & knows how he moves was able to ride him, but still lost. I would expect the same in a match with Amine, so that's another reason I believe he's the favorite over Amine. Maybe, he only wins by 1-2 points, but I'm still expecting him to win. If I was going to bet money I wouldn't be putting it on Amine. Lol!

I get what you're saying, but I just don't think Mesenbrink's ranking is accurate yet. Until we see him lose we won't know where his ceiling is, and from what we've seen so far, he's a total Psycho, because he's constantly attacking.

I might also just be wearing some thick homer glasses, but he's quickly become one of my favorite wrestlers to watch. I don't lollygag during the mid-match break anymore, because I don't want to miss a second of Mitchell's matches!
Agreed. His ranking needs the “better opponent” fuel that’s on deck this weekend. Already one of my favorites, too. Hard not to love a pace that leaves even those watching breathless. Like most, I worry his seeming slimness may keep him under a hammer long enough to sap energy from his unmatched neutral game. Answers are coming soon.

My litmus test for all these potential national champs is can they get off the bottom against a quality opponent when in a tight match.
That's the last box to check for me with MM.
At the Journeyman Classic, that was one of the things I was specifically looking for from Mitchell. Not the highest level of competition, but I felt better after the tourney.
Also, if I recall, I think he gassed a bit in his first match. So, that was an aberration in regards to what we have seen the rest of the year.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT