ADVERTISEMENT

Michigan match thread - Fri, Jan 19

Anyone know if a backup 125 made the trip? Could see Braeden sitting Sunday. Maybe sitting Kasak and Braeden will be Caels way of keeping these freshman fresh for a grueling March.

I don’t see Nolf in MM, nor anyone else.

Don’t get me wrong I’m not saying he’s better or worse than those guys. They’re dominant all timers. But stylistically, not similar. Right now.

Main difference is that those guys (someone else mentioned Zain), while aggressive, I just think as freshmen they weren’t moving people from the center of the mat on their feet like MM. Amine has kept it respectable with everyone for several years, including against NCAA champions. You could see 60 seconds in he was just trying to get to 7 minutes.

Again, I’m not conflating ability with style. As I said, it’s a judgement solely of style.
DT was constant pressure all the way to the finals as a freshman, and that pressure cost him vs Bubba.

Nolf was high motor and pressure and Martinez chided him in public for it…and then lost to Nolf.

I mean, we all understand what you mean, but MM isn’t paving new ground. There simply have been others before him. Brent Metcalf comes to mind. Cael was not a patient wrestler….took lots of ground on the mat.

I like the Metcalf comparison, different body type but very similar in how they initiated their attack.

Reactions: zzs006
Just rewatched Mesenbrink vs Amine

Definitely looked like he was trying to show a bite mark. And Mitchell was a bit fired up after it.

Amine definitely could have been stalled out. Nothing after being taken down with just over a minute to go.

DT was constant pressure all the way to the finals as a freshman, and that pressure cost him vs Bubba.

Nolf was high motor and pressure and Martinez chided him in public for it…and then lost to Nolf.

I mean, we all understand what you mean, but MM isn’t paving new ground. There simply have been others before him. Brent Metcalf comes to mind. Cael was not a patient wrestler….took lots of ground on the mat.
Right. I guess what blows me away is that I see a guy stall out from not wanting to wrestle a match (rather than having some sort of technical stall calls like being on the legs from top) maybe once every few years? He just made a possible 4x AA look lost, and not as an upperclassman. I can say I don’t recall anyone doing that to someone with Amine’s credentials at that stage of both careers.

Right. I guess what blows me away is that I see a guy stall out from not wanting to wrestle a match (rather than having some sort of technical stall calls like being on the legs from top) maybe once every few years? He just made a possible 4x AA look lost, and not as an upperclassman. I can say I don’t recall anyone doing that to someone with Amine’s credentials at that stage of both careers.
3x AA

Well I think I can live with a Davis victory for a Nagao loss.

I can't wait to go back and watch Nagao's match but he could have won that match 6 different ways to Sunday. He struggles to convert in scrambles and bailed out on 2 separate crab ride near takedowns for no obvious reason. Definitely something that can and will be tightened up.

To be honest I feel MUCH better about Nagao than Bartlett right now.
Nagao is great at getting into scrambles and even better at not giving up points in scrambles. Odds say that if you get into a lot of scrambles, never give up points, and sometimes convert yourself (even if you struggle sometimes), you’re going to come out on top. The problem with that logic is that it applies to neutral scrambles. Nagao got in trouble in this match by getting into scramble positions from bottom to get a reversal then when the stalemate whistle came, he had to go back on bottom, not neutral. He needs to do a better job of just getting free from bottom and starting the scrambles from neutral.

We are talking about vaccines why? Kid is sick - he will get better I’m sure.
I'm almost certain if he had the flu, he's not traveling. The spreading effect, being down from training and most importantly we aren't Ohio State.

Definitely looked like he was trying to show a bite mark. And Mitchell was a bit fired up after it.

Amine definitely could have been stalled out. Nothing after being taken down with just over a minute to go.
I can’t imagine anything more embarrassing than getting DQd for stalling against a freshman, in front of your home crowd. But Amine had nothing for MM, and it was only luck or referee incompetence that he wasn’t DQd.

Anyone know if a backup 125 made the trip? Could see Braeden sitting Sunday. Maybe sitting Kasak and Braeden will be Caels way of keeping these freshman fresh for a grueling March.
This whole Carter thing, Cael and Co. focus on workload during the season more than seeding or dual records (still winning duals). Look at Brooks last year, he knew exactly what side of the bracket he'd get and it wasn't perfect, but he did it anyway. When you are the alpha, you don't need to worry about everyone else, just yourself.

I thought he was asking Ref if he needed blood time. Definitely a mark on top of his thumb near wrist. I just assumed it was caused by headgear or possibly got dragged across Amine's open mouth during cross-face. Had no idea he was telling Ref he was bit.

Carters Flo Interview hilarious. Says while he wasn’t wrestling he was in coach mode and realizes they (Michigan) not very good. Says he thinks Nagao much better wrestler but put himself in bad positions and if he was in there, they don’t score a point. Then he gives shout out to Mitchell. Says he’s gonna be a problem and that he was happy he smashed Amine because the Amine family usually running their mouths all match and tonight Mitch kept them quiet.

I’m paraphrasing..but that’s pretty much the jist of it
This may be an unpopular opinion, but if you’re too sick to wrestle, then why are you giving interviews on Flo? And why talk smack about them not scoring a point if you were there, when you weren’t there?

125 - Davis continues to impress me more each match. He is always under control and seems to stay calm in all situations.

133 - This was a great match by both wrestlers. Like everyone else said, Nagao is already great, if he increases his finish rate on his low singles, he will be tough to beat.

141 - Bartlett is frustrating for all of us, but, at this point, he's earned my trust that he will get it done when it matters most.

149 - Evans is a really good wrestler. He is definitely not a 149 pounder, but, he did his job tonight.

157 - Levi still doesn't look completely like himself, but, it's hard to do anything when you are wrestling someone who simply doesn't want to engage.

165 - I had very little questions going into the match, and I have zero questions after. This was a complete beatdown of epic proportions and I loved every minute of it.

174 - What can be said about our backup 165 pounder taking the 4 ranked wrestler and former national champ to the wire. Incredible how spoiled we are.

184 - Bernie is what he is. He seems like an awesome kid and is a great wrestler. He's just never going to light up the scoreboard like some of our other guys and I'm fine with that.

197 - Brooks is the wrestling version of a surgeon. His technique is just incredible to watch.

285 - Kerk seemed to let up a bit in the 3rd, but, he was wrestling a damn good kid. Again, we are spoiled.

This whole Carter thing, Cael and Co. focus on workload during the season more than seeding or dual records (still winning duals). Look at Brooks last year, he knew exactly what side of the bracket he'd get and it wasn't perfect, but he did it anyway. When you are the alpha, you don't need to worry about everyone else, just yourself.
This is the answer. Carter and Kasak will be back tomorrow and 2 or 3 others will sit instead. They brought 15 guys on the trip. I expect we’ll see at least 14. I’d love to see Robbie get a match. We’ll probably see Barr, too, but I don’t know exactly who the 15 guys are.

Reactions: billrag and mcpat
This may be an unpopular opinion, but if you’re too sick to wrestle, then why are you giving interviews on Flo? And why talk smack about them not scoring a point if you were there, when you weren’t there?
I’m sort of with you on this. And leave the match commentary to the coaching staff as a general matter. Came across as Ricky Bobby saying he pisses excellence.

I think I was rooting for Barraclough harder than anyone else. Beating Griffith would have been his signature win of his whole career (so far). He’s been a trooper for the team. I wish he had gotten it, but he wrestled a terrific match regardless.
Griffith cant feel very good bout it.

A couple have said that they liked Angel's double-stall call... personally I thought it was horseshit and a fairly typical butchering of the Rulebook regarding "interpretation" by Rivera. Lewan was backing up and Haines was taking ground the entire first period up to the call. The call is supposed to go against the purely defensive wrestler - not the more aggressive wrestler. 5 seconds after the call, Haines shot and got in deep on Lewan - if I remember correctly, Haines came up to his feet and Lewan managed to get his leg free and immediately started backing up from the tie. The period continued in this fashion without a second call from Rivera. If Rivera was interested in rewarding the "aggressive" wrestler relative to the purely defensive wrestler (which is what the "stall call" is all about in Neutral), he did an insanely poor job. He never called a 2nd stall on Lewan in the period despite the fact he never changed his purely defensive tactics. All he did was put Haines at the same disadvantage as Lewan going into the 2nd period, which is utter bullshit given the way the 1st period was wrestled by both wrestlers - Haines was taking ground and looking to score the entire period - Lewan was backing up and wrestling purely defensively the entire period. You're supposed to reward the more aggressive wrestler with a call against the purely defensive wrestler - you aren't supposed to punish the more aggressive wrestler by putting them at the same disadvantage you're putting the purely defensive wrestler at.

Last edited:
Is it wrong to want Bearclaw to portal and defeat all non-Lions to go top 4 at 2025 NCAA’s (then return to NLWC)? Must be a strong sense of family that keeps such a talented wrestler from leaving “home.” Understood, but a little heartbreaking, too.

If coaches don't agree on a weight, it's random draw. Agree it's bad for Levi but that wasn't Bormet's decision.

I don't believe this is true anymore, unless they changed the procedures back. They changed the rule as of 2019/20. If the coaches don't agree there is now a coin flip, and the winning team can either choose:

1. Starting weight
2. Choice in odd/even matches

So the weight draw is no longer random, but specifically selected by the coach winning the flip

Is it wrong to want Bearclaw to portal and defeat all non-Lions to go top 4 at 2025 NCAA’s? Must be a strong sense of family that keeps such a talented wrestler from leaving “home.” Understood, but a little heartbreaking, too.
He has leveled up this year, too. I think there’s a good chance he will portal somewhere (with Cael’s full support) to get a shot at it. Between almost taking down Griffith and how impressive his 8-5 loss to MM looks in retrospect, I’m sure there will be plenty of teams lined up for his services next year,

Wow!!!! Wow at 2am I still cannot watch the match, 8 hours later, fudge cable and sports!!!! Haven't seen a thread, so I can be surprised and big+ gives me shit!!!

Ncaa thinks it's nfl no wonder why the sport struggles.

Big 10 get over your self.
Maybe I'm wrong but I don't think BTN shows appear on B1G+ as replays. Only B1G+ shows appear as B1G+ replays.

Reactions: wrestlinPSU
100% get your point. That being said, if there’s one person that can get away with it, it’s Carter.

He would wipe the mat with Griffith. I’m sure Shane was happy he sat

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT