ADVERTISEMENT

Midlands Brackets & Thread :

T-shirt going and seeded #3 @157 (Kemerer #2, Berger #1).

Yep, 157 is lit. North Dakota's Clayton Ream, CMU Coll]in Heffernan, OU's Dawaylon Barnes, BJ Clagon are 4, 5, 6 & 7. Josh Shields coming back North for #8. Hell, I'm even curious about R1 Skyler St. John vs #1 Berger.

Iowa with 3 dudes at 165: Gunther #7, The Bull #9 (with a possible Qtr matchup with Imar) and Kaleb Young US.

Iowa with 3 dudes at 165: Gunther #7, The Bull #9 (with a possible Qtr matchup with Imar) and Kaleb Young US.
Haven't looked at brackets to see the path anybody takes to a placement, but I believe Young places higher than Marinelli.
Just a gut reaction to second hand telling of how well the kid is developing.

Haven't looked at brackets to see the path anybody takes to a placement, but I believe Young places higher than Marinelli.
Just a gut reaction to second hand telling of how well the kid is developing.

What results have you seen that lead you to believe he has developed enough to pass a recruit like Marinelli? Young has a ways to go at this level and I'm not convinced he will ever become an AA caliber wrestler.

What results have you seen that lead you to believe he has developed enough to pass a recruit like Marinelli? Young has a ways to go at this level and I'm not convinced he will ever become an AA caliber wrestler.
Just talking to some friends from district 9 who know the kid and his family well. Also was talking to a few guys at a YG session.

I do have to admit a bias. I have watched the kid wrestle and have talked with him numerous times.

It's the things I know about the kid that cause me to believe he might turn out to be much better than projected.
Tougher than nails. He has than inner toughness that enables him to drive through an immovable obstacle.
Work ethic. He is the kid who has to be dragged kicking and screaming out of the room.
Spunge. Whatever they are teaching he will want to learn it and if it doesn't come naturally he will work to learn and apply it.

Hawkeye. He was in 6th grade when I ask him about Penn State and he told me he was going to Iowa. He worked his behind off to get where he wanted to be. Whatever the Brands preach, he has already bought into it and he will do without hesitation exactly and whatever they tell him he needs to do to be great.

Every now and then there is a kid who lacks some natural aspects of whatever it takes to be great, but somewhere within him lies the need to just out work those shortcomings to achieve his goals.

Again, I acknowledge my bias but I believe this kid works himself into an elite wrestler.

One of the things I was told is the kid has become very competive in the room and I am very anxious to see how he does.

Just glancing at seeds, Nebraska might give Iowa a run for their money in this thing.

Former recruit of interest - Chad Red w/ a #13 seed at 141.
A quick look shows Nebbie with a slight advantage if all goes according to seed, Placement and Advancement only. Marinelli and Red, as well as others unattached, can't count towards the team score. Looks like both "beating a seed", and Bonus Points, will be factors.

Totally different story if Clark was there...and we'll see how Stoll does, 1st action of the season.

Last edited:
174 is soft, but 184 isn't. Lots of AA's at the top: Dudley, MyMar, Renda, Brooks, Nate Jackson at 1 through 5. Man, I hope #7 Dechow is healthy; he's a blast to watch when he is.

Yeah, I have my eye on that 7-2 matchup between Dechow and Martin -- would be nice to see the Dechow of old show up at this thing.

M Martin did not look like a former NC. darn near lost in OT, but had a sweet double for the win. otherwise, he looked not interested.

Reactions: liex26
Nice to see Rutgers leading ...albeit very very early.

Hawks in 3rd.

Chad red looks slick. Nice action so far.

Flipping a coin between watching Sorenson or Kolodzik. .....heads....sorenson

Just talking to some friends from district 9 who know the kid and his family well. Also was talking to a few guys at a YG session.

I do have to admit a bias. I have watched the kid wrestle and have talked with him numerous times.

It's the things I know about the kid that cause me to believe he might turn out to be much better than projected.
Tougher than nails. He has than inner toughness that enables him to drive through an immovable obstacle.
Work ethic. He is the kid who has to be dragged kicking and screaming out of the room.
Spunge. Whatever they are teaching he will want to learn it and if it doesn't come naturally he will work to learn and apply it.

Hawkeye. He was in 6th grade when I ask him about Penn State and he told me he was going to Iowa. He worked his behind off to get where he wanted to be. Whatever the Brands preach, he has already bought into it and he will do without hesitation exactly and whatever they tell him he needs to do to be great.

Every now and then there is a kid who lacks some natural aspects of whatever it takes to be great, but somewhere within him lies the need to just out work those shortcomings to achieve his goals.

Again, I acknowledge my bias but I believe this kid works himself into an elite wrestler.

One of the things I was told is the kid has become very competive in the room and I am very anxious to see how he does.

Next test, coming up soon: 3-seed Clark Glass

Pletcher a very workman like win over springer of EMU. Was down and came back.

If you guys got a couple minutes find a Kolodzik match. Kid is nails. I think he watched zain a little.

Reactions: Brian LB-U
Pletcher has been good at 141 so far. Knew he was talented but figured going up at this point would be a hindrance. Springer isn't special but he's a solid D1 wrestler, solid win.

Red looked good again in his match before I switched over to Zanetta and Ashnault

Jeffries/Sorenson could be interesting. I thought Jefferies was going to break out this year but he's been pretty bad so far.

If Jeffries could just take a page out of Zain's book here and stall, he could erase Sorenson's RT advantage.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT