ADVERTISEMENT

MN vs IA

They deleted the post and banned me. :D
They are starting to sweat in Iowa City so the mods have an itchy trigger finger. Berge shows up, AD is shaky, they don't know who is taking the mat at 184. Duel season is over and they've ridden this roller coaster before.
Just wait until Friday night has us put 5 in the finals. They'll be chugging Pepto- Bismol and not beer.

I think he clarified that in a subsequent post. He is a decent guy. I think I'll let him buy me a beer in Minneapolis if Iowa ends up winning their title. ;)
Yep, When I replied to the post I didn't see all of the responses. Seems like a rational dude. He will not need any beer money if he treks out east for the IA match.

Reactions: russelscout
I feel like the split title with Michigan in 1997 was more out of pity since Osborne was retiring. It would have been great to see Nebraska/Penn St in 1994 and Nebraska/Michigan in 1997. However, no one will convince me there was a better team than 1995 Nebraska.

The reason Nebraska won the national title in 1994 is because Penn State's "Big Ten brethren" all voted for Nebraska.

And, no, I'll never forgive them for that.

That said, that Penn State offense was the greatest offense I've ever seen, bar none. They would have beaten any other team that decade, and only that superb '97 Wolverine defense and super-talented '91 Huskies team would worry me a bit. Despite having a quarterback who didn't run, and despite running a pretty vanilla scheme, they owned everyone, including a very tough Illinois defense that had Simeon Rice and two Butkus winning linebackers. The only weak spot was that the defense was relatively inferior to certain other PSU defenses. But they got the job done against Illinois and Michigan. They were fine.

Speaking of 1991 Huskies, they don't get nearly enough respect in the "greatest team ever" category. Steve Emtman is the best defensive lineman I've ever seen in college football. Their offense steam rolled everyone except USC (who had Willie McGinnest, Jason Sehorn, and several others).

I doubt that this is true. While it's true that Iowa Hawkeye wrestling became what it us under Gable, first of all, Gable wasn't alone: I forget the guy's name (Iowans help me out here), but he actually was an assistant under another coach who won Iowa's first team title. That coach really started the path.
Gary Kurdelmeier, won in 1975 and 1976.

The reason Nebraska won the national title in 1994 is because Penn State's "Big Ten brethren" all voted for Nebraska.

That said, that Penn State offense was the greatest offense I've ever seen, bar none. They would have beaten any other team that decade, and only that superb '97 Wolverine defense and super-talented '91 Huskies team would worry me a bit. Despite having a quarterback who didn't run, and despite running a pretty vanilla scheme, they owned everyone, including a very tough Illinois defense that had Simeon Rice and two Butkus winning linebackers. The only weak spot was that the defense was relatively inferior to certain other PSU defenses. But they got the job done against Illinois and Michigan. They were fine.

Speaking of 1991 Huskies, they don't get nearly enough respect in the "greatest team ever" category. Steve Emtman is the best defensive lineman I've ever seen in college football. Their offense steam rolled everyone except USC (who had Willie McGinnest, Jason Sehorn, and several others).
+10000 on Emtman. He was a monster. He and Jerome Brown were the best DTs I ever saw in college - better than the Selmon brothers, Suh, etc.

Reactions: diggerpup
I was at the Rose Bowl when they beat Michigan back into the Stone Age. Michigan's entire OL started in the NFL with (I think) 3 Pro Bowlers. Emtman was in the backfield on every single play, including the triple teams. Such a shame that 1990s NFL astroturf destroyed his knees in his rookie preseason.

Maybe best of all, Heisman fraud Desmond Howard had 2 catches all game, with one in 4th quarter garbage time.

The defense was only relatively inferior because they were on the field so dang much. Wasn’t the average scoring drive really short, I forget exactly but I know it was way less than most teams average.

this part always frosts me!
A dramatic 31-24 win at Michigan on October 15, 1994 lifted Penn State to 6-0 and No. 1 in the AP and Coaches' polls. Following a 63-14 rout of Ohio State, the Nittany Lions dropped to No. 2 in the AP poll.

63-14 win and we loss a position, I know Big ten coaches caused that drop.

Now that I read my link better I see we dropped in the AP, but it was the Ohio sportswriters with votes that caused it.

Last edited:
The defense was only relatively inferior because they were on the field so dang much. Wasn’t the average scoring drive really short, I forget exactly but I know it was way less than most teams average.

A dramatic 31-24 win at Michigan on October 15, 1994 lifted Penn State to 6-0 and No. 1 in the AP and Coaches' polls. Following a 63-14 rout of Ohio State, the Nittany Lions dropped to No. 2 in the AP poll.

Up 49-7 on Ohio State at halftime. Glorious day at Beaver Stadium.

B10 saw PSU that year as like Rodney Dangerfield in Caddyshack. No way the tenured wealth was letting the new wealth show them up like that. Know your place, peasant.

I was at the Rose Bowl when they beat Michigan back into the Stone Age. Michigan's entire OL started in the NFL with (I think) 3 Pro Bowlers. Emtman was in the backfield on every single play, including the triple teams. Such a shame that 1990s NFL astroturf destroyed his knees in his rookie preseason.

Maybe best of all, Heisman fraud Desmond Howard had 2 catches all game, with one in 4th quarter garbage time.
I worked in the UDub district in the 1990s. After Emtman's aborted pro career, he came back to the U of Washington for a time, working on the S&C staff. One Summer day, I was in the U book store standing in line at the counter. There was a guy standing in front of me in wearing a tight tee-shirt. It was Emtman. He was an imposing figure to say the least. Didn't look like he had an ounce of fat on him. He was every bit the size he was listed at as a rookie: 6'4" and 290 lbs. and a mass of muscle.
Knee injuries his rookie year certainly ended what may have been a great pro career.

Did you enjoy the Iowa vs Minny dual?
ZZBFSaW.png

Im not taking a jab. Its not as lively as some other states are. So you want to know why some assume the state as a whole hasnt been wrestling crazy before 2011? Its things like that. Its also when you still see a packed Bryce Jordan Center barely muster more than a golf clap. I did compliment PA. They have the best wrestlers in the country.

I was at the dual at the BJC. You don’t know what you’re talking about. You’re not fooling anyone here into believing you post in good faith.

Ok brah. I am only going but what I saw on TV

Then why bother making claims about this? You weren’t there and you had a limited view/experience.

So far you’ve been wrong twice in this thread because you made statements about things you didn’t know enough about or about an event you didn’t even attend. You don’t post in good faith. You post to troll.

Reactions: dsites52
Then why bother making claims about this? You weren’t there and you had a limited view/experience.

So far you’ve been wrong twice in this thread because you made statements about things you didn’t know enough about or about an event you didn’t even attend. You don’t post in good faith. You post to troll.

I watched the whole PSU Iowa dual in Carver thinking it didn't seem that loud and I didn't see what the big deal was.

Granted, I watched the whole thing with the TV muted, but hey, that was just my own experience. And I think it's fair to draw conclusions on the Iowa wrestling culture based on that.

I watched the whole PSU Iowa dual in Carver thinking it didn't seem that loud and I didn't see what the big deal was.

Granted, I watched the whole thing with the TV muted, but hey, that was just my own experience. And I think it's fair to draw conclusions on the Iowa wrestling culture based on that.
False equivalence.

Run a punt back against Notre Dame, hit a pose and call it a campaign.

Now that I read my link better I see we dropped in the AP, but it was the Ohio sportswriters with votes that caused it.
Actually, Kordell Stewart caused that drop. Didn't know that? Hear me out.
About a month before PSU pummeled OSU and yet dropped in the polls, Kordell threw a 60+ yard Hail Mary, allowing Colorado to beat Meatchicken. Subsequently, the same week that PSU curb stomped OSU, Nebraska happens to beat #2 Colorado 24-7, allowing them to slip past PSU in the polls. Had Kordell not made that play, Colorado would not have been #2 in late October and Debby beating the Buffaloes would not have seemed as impressive.
Honestly, to me, this seems more plausible than the Big Ten coaches voting against Penn State. However, given this AKB, I wouldn't doubt if someone actually has the results of the Big Ten coaches poll votes after that week proving that they did in fact drop PSU after the OSU beatdown.

Up 49-7 on Ohio State at halftime. Glorious day at Beaver Stadium.

B10 saw PSU that year as like Rodney Dangerfield in Caddyshack. No way the tenured wealth was letting the new wealth show them up like that. Know your place, peasant.
There was some serious resentment from Big10 coaches and media.
Prior to PSU entering the Big10 the conference had only won 7 of the previous 25 Rose Bowls and had not had a national champion since Ihio State's 1968 team. Paterno comes along and shows the collective this is how you win national championships. By 1993 the Big10 had become a national laughingstock as a football power conference and there was no way in hell the Big10 clowns were going to allow Penn State win a national championship their second year in the conference.
Once Joe showed the group this is how it's done he started to withdraw from his day in day out commitment and began to allow others to do more. I wish Joe had just decided to retire. The Big10 pricks would not have been able to overcome the national need to honor Joe with a deserved 3rd national championship.

There was some serious resentment from Big10 coaches and media.
Prior to PSU entering the Big10 the conference had only won 7 of the previous 25 Rose Bowls and had not had a national champion since Ihio State's 1968 team. Paterno comes along and shows the collective this is how you win national championships. By 1993 the Big10 had become a national laughingstock as a football power conference and there was no way in hell the Big10 clowns were going to allow Penn State win a national championship their second year in the conference.
Once Joe showed the group this is how it's done he started to withdraw from his day in day out commitment and began to allow others to do more. I wish Joe had just decided to retire. The Big10 pricks would not have been able to overcome the national need to honor Joe with a deserved 3rd national championship.
Wouldn't have happened -- they would've put 0:02 back on the clock in Ann Arbor. For example.

About a month before PSU pummeled OSU and yet dropped in the polls, Kordell threw a 60+ yard Hail Mary, allowing Colorado to beat Meatchicken. Subsequently, the same week that PSU curb stomped OSU, Nebraska happens to beat #2 Colorado 24-7, allowing them to slip past PSU in the polls. Had Kordell not made that play, Colorado would not have been #2 in late October and Debby beating the Buffaloes would not have seemed as impressive.
Honestly, to me, this seems more plausible than the Big Ten coaches voting against Penn State. However, given this AKB, I wouldn't doubt if someone actually has the results of the Big Ten coaches poll votes after that week proving that they did in fact drop PSU after the OSU beatdown.
Michigan had spent the previous quarter century preventing the Big10 from having any national success or championships. So playing a part in blocking the new Big10 member from a championship just seems to be something Michigan was good at

I love a good “B1G is out to get us” theory, but this is totally why we dropped that week—I called it in advance, figuring the winner would pass us in the polls. It’s the nature of a poll-based championship. All the people who voted for Colorado couldn’t vote for them again—naturally, they voted for who beat them.

What I won’t understand is Salaam winning the heisman that year. He only had those 2k yards because he was the pitch-man on an option offense that had a freak athlete at QB. Ffwd to Larry’s big year, and suddenly 2k is no longer the automatic trophy winner...

What I won’t understand is Salaam winning the heisman that year. He only had those 2k yards because he was the pitch-man on an option offense that had a freak athlete at QB. Ffwd to Larry’s big year, and suddenly 2k is no longer the automatic trophy winner...[/QUOTE]

In hindsight, it's OK with me. LJ was not one of our alums that we could be very proud of. It was fun watching him play. But he did not turn out to be a very nice guy.

I think he'll be very cautious now to walk the line. Hackeye fans are many things, but by and large, they aren't inherently stupid. He'll be on notice and the first sign of "antics" I believe they'll turn on him quickly.

Oh please..., people have been saying that since he left Drexel for Iowa, and it simply is not the case.

What I won’t understand is Salaam winning the heisman that year. He only had those 2k yards because he was the pitch-man on an option offense that had a freak athlete at QB. Ffwd to Larry’s big year, and suddenly 2k is no longer the automatic trophy winner...

In hindsight, it's OK with me. LJ was not one of our alums that we could be very proud of. It was fun watching him play. But he did not turn out to be a very nice guy.[/QUOTE]

And these days he is a walking talking conspiracy theory on social media.....

Oh please..., people have been saying that since he left Drexel for Iowa, and it simply is not the case.

You don’t think that HR will jump all over him if he just flat out quits on the mat again? I don’t know, maybe they wouldn’t. But, my last remaining shreds of faith in humanity say that they would.

This can't be true. Mushrooms are technically a vegetable.
Technically it's neither a fruit or a vegetable - it's a fungus. I came over to try and read some wrestling and all I get is whining and complaining about each other's team's. Just so you know, this Board is no different than the HR. Both ruin good threads way too soon.

Technically it's neither a fruit or a vegetable - it's a fungus. I came over to try and read some wrestling and all I get is whining and complaining about each other's team's. Just so you know, this Board is no different than the HR. Both ruin good threads way too soon.

This board is way different than HR

In hindsight, it's OK with me. LJ was not one of our alums that we could be very proud of. It was fun watching him play. But he did not turn out to be a very nice guy.
Fair enough—but it wouldn’t surprise me at all if CTE was involved in most of his poor decisions.

This board is way different than HR
No it's not - and for you to take that stance proves my point. Both are homers who think the other group are idiots and invented wrestling. I've got news for you, there are plenty of morons on both. You're just looking at it from the Penn State perspective and see your idiots as harmless.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT