ADVERTISEMENT

MN vs IA

Berge healthy means, no injury beyond normal competitive wear and tear no lost time and just development.
125 Nada
133 Top 3, as likely to win as Gross or Revera.
141 First
149 Nada
157 4th to 6th.
165 1st, Marinelli is always a threat
174 1st, of course as shown in the dual Kemerer is a legitimate threat to this title
184 tough to say. My blue and white wants to say 2nd and be done with it. Too many really solid dudes at 184 to say with certainty. 2nd is not out of the realm of possibilities, neither is a 6th, 7th or 8th place.
197 as of right now nothing. You did not offer a what if Shak was healthy scenario.
Hwt 1st most likely, 2nd maybe but I doubt it.
So for the Hawks I would go

125 1st
133 1-4 Proven he can beat Gross and RBY, recent match ups 0-2 against them
141 6-8
149 1-8 This weight is all about how it’s seeded and it’s still hard to handicap. O’Connor, Sasso, Lugo, BLee, Lewallen, Mauller, Degen, and evening Clark from American could legitimately win this weight
157 5-8 Deakin Hidlay, and Carr are favorites over Young. Berge, Monday, Coleman and Delavecchia close to the same level.
165 1-2 It comes down to Marinelli and Joseph
174 1-2 Hall and Kemerer
184 7-R12
197 3-8 Warner is an enigma. 1-1 against Brucki, lost to Aiello, not as good as Moore but beats Brunner and loses to Schultz
285 4-6 Cassar, Steveson, and Parris are better

Assume Shak is healthy, just having trouble with the higher weight?

125 1st
141 6-8
149 1-8 This weight is all about how it’s seeded and it’s still hard to handicap. O’Connor, Sasso, Lugo, BLee, Lewallen, Mauller, Degen, and evening Clark from American could legitimately win this weight
157 5-8 Deakin Hidlay, and Carr are favorites over Young. Berge, Monday, Coleman and Delavecchia close to the same level.
174 1-2 Hall and Kemerer
184 7-R12
197 3-8 Warner is an enigma. 1-1 against Brucki, lost to Aiello, not as good as Moore but beats Brunner and loses to Schultz

Kind of tough to assume he is healthy when he is still less than a year removed from ACL sx combined with how he has looked. Second, since he had zero trouble with the weight 2 years ago I doubt he is having problems with size difference this year.

Kind of tough to assume he is healthy when he is still less than a year removed from ACL sx combined with how he has looked. Second, since he had zero trouble with the weight 2 years ago I doubt he is having problems with size difference this year.
Fair. Where would you forecast him to finish?

125 1st
141 6-8
174 1-2 Hall and Kemerer
184 7-R12

Spencer first is a given
DeSanto finishes 4th or lower. He has victories against Gross and RBY, but those are further removed than his successes. In all honesty, I think he has no prayer against Rivera. If someone else takes out Rivera DeSanto has a shot at winning it all, but I think a really good tournament for DeSanto is 4th.
Murin is improved over the first two years, but Max is what he is. A perfect tournament he scraped out a 7 - 8. A slippery and he doesn't place.
I have more faith in Lugo than you. A good tournament he is in finals and and even bet to win. A poor tournament Lugo finishes 4th or 5th. After Spencer, Marinelli and Kemerer Lugo is the Hawks next best wrestler.
157 Young achieved his top level last year. He places, but his best tournament is 4th. I can't see him short of being injured not placing.
165 and 74 finals. However, that freaking internal pressure can reach up and bite you.
184 nothing
197, the kid who wrestled last night can finish high. I just expect him to under perform and maybe wrestle for 5th or 6th.
Hwt good, strong and despite a little roundness - athletic. Still a freshman. A perfect tournament (that included Cassar) has him at 4th, however Hawkeye big guys wrestling to expectations is somewhat a limited sampling.

So the Hawks finish with 8 AAs, 4 finalists. Against a healthy PSU team that is probably good enough to finally finish 2nd to PSU.

With injuries being part of the sport, the Hawks are the favorites. However, the Hawks are not going to have 10 AAs and the team score is going to be close enough to make most Hawk fans uncomfortable. Funniest thing will be reading the collective bitching on HR about some negative instead of a collective joy in finally winning the next one.

Can you imagine the meltdown on HR if one of their big guns like Kem or Bull get knocked out of Nationals early and Lee, Hall, and Cenzo start racking up bonus? If we get to Saturday Night and PSU is not mathematically eliminated oh boy there will be internet gold to read for our Sunday Morning Constitutionals.

Spencer first is a given
DeSanto finishes 4th or lower. He has victories against Gross and RBY, but those are further removed than his successes. In all honesty, I think he has no prayer against Rivera. If someone else takes out Rivera DeSanto has a shot at winning it all, but I think a really good tournament for DeSanto is 4th.
Murin is improved over the first two years, but Max is what he is. A perfect tournament he scraped out a 7 - 8. A slippery and he doesn't place.
I have more faith in Lugo than you. A good tournament he is in finals and and even bet to win. A poor tournament Lugo finishes 4th or 5th. After Spencer, Marinelli and Kemerer Lugo is the Hawks next best wrestler.
157 Young achieved his top level last year. He places, but his best tournament is 4th. I can't see him short of being injured not placing.
165 and 74 finals. However, that freaking internal pressure can reach up and bite you.
184 nothing
197, the kid who wrestled last night can finish high. I just expect him to under perform and maybe wrestle for 5th or 6th.
Hwt good, strong and despite a little roundness - athletic. Still a freshman. A perfect tournament (that included Cassar) has him at 4th, however Hawkeye big guys wrestling to expectations is somewhat a limited sampling.

So the Hawks finish with 8 AAs, 4 finalists. Against a healthy PSU team that is probably good enough to finally finish 2nd to PSU.

With injuries being part of the sport, the Hawks are the favorites. However, the Hawks are not going to have 10 AAs and the team score is going to be close enough to make most Hawk fans uncomfortable. Funniest thing will be reading the collective bitching on HR about some negative instead of a collective joy in finally winning the next one.
If we were to put 5 in the finals Friday night, the calamari rings will be especially small come Saturday morning.
(hint: reference the "what do do in State College?" thread)

Reactions: nitlion6
Whoops. Referenced wrong thread!

Calamari, you say?

A number of years ago, This American Life investigated rumors that some restaurants were serving pig anuses (ani?) masquerading as calamari. Think about it, cut across the direction of flow and you get circles, throw some flour on there, wa-lah, calamari...Ultimately, they didn't find any restaurants actually doing this, so they tested it themselves. The results of their test might surprise you. Spoiler alert: they couldn't tell the difference.

I still eat calamari, but not without thinking about this episode:
https://www.thisamericanlife.org/484/doppelgangers
484-landscape.jpg

Bo is Bo. He's dangerous. He does things normal people don't do. -Cael Sanderson

From the best wrestling state. That somehow just found out about this wrestling thing - lol
Still Hawkeyes. I dont know why you guys take credit for high school kids from the state. They are not Penn St. guys by association.

Iowa fans know how good the state of PA is in high school wrestling. Everyone does. Why do you want to reframe the discussion to one about who has the better high school level?

Last edited:
@russelscout I just wanted to say, I really like your Avatar on TheMat (I don't post there) The whole Gilman's face over Russell from Up makes me smile.

Still Hawkeyes. I dont know why you guys take credit for high school kids from the state. They are not Penn St. guys by association.

Iowa fans know how good the state of PA is in high school wrestling. Everyone does. Why do you want to reframe the discussion to one about who has the better high school level?
Just a jab at the IA fans who consistently say PSU fans just discovered the sport In 2010. Odd that could happen in the best wrestling state. Didn't expect it to have such an impact on you.

Just a jab at the IA fans who consistently say PSU fans just discovered the sport In 2010. Odd that could happen in the best wrestling state. Didn't expect it to have such an impact on you.
I heard the States at the PA high school tourney are pretty dead. Just because there is a bunch of talent doesnt mean its part of the culture.

Hope you make one! I recommend Warner for here (are there any photos of him smiling out there though?)
There are. However, I am not a huge Warner fan. I want him to win for obvious reasons and if he can turn it around Ill be pumped, but so far he has not shown the offense I would expect of such a high recruit. He has his moments I guess.

I heard the States at the PA high school tourney are pretty dead. Just because there is a bunch of talent doesnt mean its part of the culture.
o_Oo_Oo_OThat is truly the most idiotic statement I have read on a message board. Why do you think there is so much talent? Because the kids growing up in PA grow up knowing and loving wrestling. It is not some statistical anomaly. Same reason that Philly produces great basketball players.

Last edited:
There are. However, I am not a huge Warner fan. I want him to win for obvious reasons and if he can turn it around Ill be pumped, but so far he has not shown the offense I would expect of such a high recruit. He has his moments I guess.

Boy, if that doesn’t just typify toxic Hackeye fandom.

o_Oo_Oo_OThat is truly the most idiotic statement I have read on a message board. Why do you think there is so much talent? Because the kids growing up in PA grow up knowing and loving wrestling. It is not some statistical anomaly. Same reason that Philly produces great basketball players.
Idk why you are so annoyed by my statement. The state tourney is different than it is in Iowa. Its just a fact. Yeah PA has better wrestlers. It doesnt mean that wrestling is more culturally significant there than it is in Iowa.

Idk why you are so annoyed by my statement. The state tourney is different than it is in Iowa. Its just a fact. Yeah PA has better wrestlers. It doesnt mean that wrestling is more culturally significant there than it is in Iowa.
I didn't mention Iowa's culture, you mentioned PAs. And you made a stupid comment, so yes, it is annoying. It as if you can't fathom complementing PA without a jab at it's "culture". I am sure Iowa also has a great history and culture in HS wrestling....see it isn't that hard to be nice

I didn't mention Iowa's culture, you mentioned PAs. And you made a stupid comment, so yes, it is annoying. It as if you can't fathom complementing PA without a jab at it's "culture". I am sure Iowa also has a great history and culture in HS wrestling....see it isn't that hard to be nice
Im not taking a jab. Its not as lively as some other states are. So you want to know why some assume the state as a whole hasnt been wrestling crazy before 2011? Its things like that. Its also when you still see a packed Bryce Jordan Center barely muster more than a golf clap. I did compliment PA. They have the best wrestlers in the country.

Last edited:
Im not taking a jab. Its not as lively as some other states are. So you want to know why some assume the state as a whole hasnt been wrestling crazy before 2011? Its things like that. Its also when you still see a packed Bryce Jordan Center barely muster more than a golf clap. I did compliment PA. They have the best wrestlers in the country.
There were some fans yelling for stalling last night for no reason. We're learning.

Oh, so loud equals culture? TNT must be really cultured :rolleyes:
You know that culture vs being cultured is not the same thing at all right? What a weird thing to say.

Loud doesnt equal culture. It does ussually mean more passion. Excuse me for not thinking the PSU fans were having a great time as you could see the majority of them seated with there arms crossed. They looked like they had to be dragged there. No wonder Cael keeps them at a place with a 3rd of the capacity.

There were some fans yelling for stalling last night for no reason. We're learning.
Thats reallly what its all about. Honestly though, I am very impressed with the product PA puts out on the mat. I took a handful of pretty tough kids from the midwest to flonats when they were in Philly. We didnt fare so well haha.

Reactions: 82bordeaux
You know that culture vs being cultured is not the same thing at all right? What a weird thing to say.

Loud doesnt equal culture. It does ussually mean more passion. Excuse me for not thinking the PSU fans were having a great time as you could see the majority of them seated with there arms crossed. They looked like they had to be dragged there. No wonder Cael keeps them at a place with a 3rd of the capacity.
And the shots of the stands at Carver resemble scenes from the Colosseum in Gladiator. We each can choose the culture we wish to create and maintain.

Thats reallly what its all about. Honestly though, I am very impressed with the product PA puts out on the mat. I took a handful of pretty tough kids from the midwest to flonats when they were in Philly. We didnt fare so well haha.
Scout, you do know I'm just busting your balls, right?

Team States are dead because it is a bad format with too many forfeits, bad match-ups, etc.

Individual States are far from dead. They still get great crowds.

Reactions: dsites52
We'll know they're really learning when they jump out of their seats signaling and yelling "TWOOOO" for their guy while he's getting decked in a spadle.
Yeah, that was kind of embarrassing. I knew the moment Brooks was on the leg. I dont understand how he didnt.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT