ADVERTISEMENT

Wrestling NCAA Wrestling Tournament - Finals Open Thread

Boy, we really get lost in the weeds when the team title is a formality. Just my thought, but part of me thinks that LDS is like "close enough" to be considered under the Christianity umbrella.
Pretty sure Moroni would fall in the false prophet category also, real, or not. Personally, I am an atheist and don't care one way or another. More power to them all.

Reactions: dsites52
Wow. That third period was fabulous. Sasso came shockingly close to a tying takedown on a scramble off a shot that Yianni initiated. No stalling there, for sure!
That is Sasso's bread and butter - give up a leg and scramble into a TD. He's very good at this and would have had the tying TD against Yianni with another couple seconds.

This year's tournament was the best I can remember. Unexpected outcomes from the first round to the Finals. Exciting matches to showcase our great sport in the semis and finals, unlike some 1-1 OT snoozefests that have been showcased in the past. I think the sport likely picked up some new fans tonight!

Our finals weren't what we are used to, going 2-3, but I can't even say I'm disappointed. We essentially wrapped the team title up Friday night, had 8 AAs, and outperformed our seeds at many weights.

I feel for RBY and Dean, as I'm sure this isn't how they envisioned to close our their college careers, but I can't wait to see where they go next.

This tournament made me even more excited about next year. We have the next wave geared up and ready to take the torch! Levi, Bartlett, and even Facundo are going to be lights out next year, and hopefully, we get to see AB and CStar go for their 4th.

It's a great night to be a PSU Wrestling fan!

Gumby Diakamaholis…Yianni is just so unorthodox
"Gumby". I mentioned this yesterday, but had it not been for Yianni's insane flexibility when Murin had him very close to nearfall criteria he would have lost that match and not been a 4-timer. Yianni had several razor-close Finals matches against McKenna and Meredith also. It just goes to show how miniscule the margin for error is sometimes.

Agreed. When a guy like Parris is beating on you and dominating in top position, you aren't going to seem as spry as if you were fresh.
Parris beat Kerk the first time they wrestled and most attributed it to Kerk only wrestling part of the year and recovering from an injury that kept him from being his best. Then last year, Kerk won 3x in a row. One thing Kerk did was an awesome adjustment by controlling Mason's left wrist while in neutral. He was able to slow Parris down and hit the swing single and get takedowns. Last year, Mason looked slow.

Parris adjusted this year. He didn't allow Kerkvliet to control his wrist and he sat back a little, waiting to counter Kerk's shots rather than be ultra aggressive as he is with against others. He was able to take advantage of wrestling that way and it was a smart move.
Probably worth noting that Greg is 20 lbs heavier this year and maybe that is a factor? Not quite as fast. Hard to say from my seat. Parris was on fire. No doubt.

Reactions: NoVaLion2
Yeah, it's not shocking, except for the level of domination and margin of victory. As stated earlier, don't think that Fix was ever worked the way Vito did in the semis. We have become accustomed to RBY winning every match, but he was outclassed tonight.
Until Vito, Fix was never bonused in college. And if you missed it:

"Arujau was named Outstanding Wrestler of the NCAA Championships, and Cornell coach Mike Grey was named tournament Coach of the Year."

Ivy does not allow grad students, redshirt, or 5th year. Regardless of NCAA eligibility.

His 2021 is unclear -- if he were enrolled, then he's done at Cornell. If he graduates this year, he's done at Cornell.
He was not enrolled, he's not done, he's not graduating. The entire team returns with the exception of Yianni, who will be replaced by The One That Got Away.

Our guys losing is the closest thing Iowa fans will get to a title this weekend. I imagine Spencer losing (and now questions about his future period is being asked) has to be way worse than losing a team title since it was a 6 year thing they’ve been waiting for so let them enjoy it and pretend to be Cornell fans and vicariously live through Vito kicking RBY’s ass and Yianni winning 4.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT