ADVERTISEMENT

New Car Help: Gas vs Hybrid vs Plug-in Hybrid

Agoodnap

Sep 27, 2015
I need a new car and I'm torn on which type of "fueled" vehicle to purchase. Electric is out for me. So that leaves three choices. Hybrids seem ok but I don't like the additional upfront cost. I'm very leery of the Plug-in hybrids because of my experiences with all types of batteries. I plan to keep this vehicle a long time and I don't want a dinosaur which I'm afraid gas may quickly become. Has anyone here gone through the pros and cons on that would be willing to share. I'm sure I'm not alone in this quandary. TIA

Last edited:
I need a new car and I'm torn on which type of "fueled" vehicle to purchase. Electric is out for me. So that leaves three choices. Hybrids seem ok but I don't like the additional upfront cost. I'm very leery of the Plug-in hybrids because of my experiences with all types of batteries. I plan to keep this vehicle a long time and I don't want a dinosaur which I'm afraid gas may quickly become. Has anyone her gone through the pros and cons on that would be willing to share. I'm sure I'm not alone in this quandary. TIA

I'm still a gas owner. I really like Mazda's. I currently own a '23 CX-30 (AWD that gets 33 mpg, but kind of small), and still have a '12 6 (FWD that gets 28-31 now. 254xxx miles).

The gas mileage is very good and the durability is awesome. You can get better mileage out of a 3, but I like the way a 6 and a cx-30 handle better.

Reactions: jjw165
I need a new car and I'm torn on which type of "fueled" vehicle to purchase. Electric is out for me. So that leaves three choices. Hybrids seem ok but I don't like the additional upfront cost. I'm very leery of the Plug-in hybrids because of my experiences with all types of batteries. I plan to keep this vehicle a long time and I don't want a dinosaur which I'm afraid gas may quickly become. Has anyone her gone through the pros and cons on that would be willing to share. I'm sure I'm not alone in this quandary. TIA
I have a plug in hybrid. It can go almost 50 miles on electric before the gas kicks in seamlessly. Since nearly everything I need is within 5 miles I can run multiple errands on electric and then plug in at night on 110V and it will be ready tomorrow. If I didn’t go to Penn State, Florida, and Maine I honestly believe I could go a full year on one tank of gas. I drove 8000 miles the first year and at least 4000 of that was on the electric motor. I cut my gas usage in half. The car gets around 50 mpg on gas. I have no range anxiety. I think this may be a good choice for this decade until electric cars and chargers improve.

I bought a new Lincoln MKZ back in 2012. The price was the same for gas or hybrid. I really liked the MKZ. It didn't have a lot of power but I got 45 mpg highway and 35 mpg around town. I gave it to one of my kids 5 years ago and they're still driving it without problems. The only issue is that mileage has fallen by 20% as the battery weakened.

I bought a new Lexus ES a few years ago but they didn't have any hybrids available. Lexus wanted $2k more for the hybrids anyway and you can buy a lot of gas for that amount. I guess it depends on how much you drive. Do the math.

I never understood the plug in hybrids. You get more than 100 MPG but only for 30 miles or so. I'm not sure what you get after that. Is it like a regular hybrid getting 45 MPG or does it drop back closer to what you get with a conventional gas engine?

Reactions: Agoodnap
I drove 8000 miles the first year

I put 18000 on my cx-30 in year 1. 86 miles round-trip for work (takes 2 hrs 10-20 minutes to drive it, rural). How long would 110V take to charge for this daily if you were to estimate? Work charging might be possible for me, but I'd have to look into it.

Driving my 3rd hybrid and currently have a 2022 Hyundai Sonata. Price was $33,500 plus an extra $1500 to get 10 year or 100,000 mile bumper to bumper coverage. Problem is, I'll probably get to 100,000 miles in less than 8 years. Getting low 50s right now which drops about 10% during cold weather. The hybrid batteries are covered for 100,000 miles.

My wife drives a Toyota Highlander Hybrid with now a little over 40k miles. She averages around 36 mpg in the summer and 33-34 mpg in the winter (the heater actually uses more juice than the AC does in the summer. Considering the size of the vehicle, I am very happy with that gas mileage and she does not drive it with fuel efficiency at top of mind! This is our first hybrid, and thus far we are very happy with it. The only minor negative with the vehicle is that the engine is pretty noisy on full throttle because it is a four-cylinder (paired with the electric motor.) We certainly won’t win any street races, but the acceleration is definitely pretty decent. I have a family member who has a RAV4 hybrid, which has the exact same engine setup as the Highlander, and he routinely gets in the low 40s mpgs. I truly do wonder why most vehicles don’t come in hybrid form. It seems to be a no-brainer. I personally don’t think full electric is ready yet. Maybe in 10 to 20 years if our electricity grid is fixed in this country.

If you could describe with some detail how you plan to utilize this vehicle. Normal frequency and travel distance; urban, suburban, rural; vacation trips, etc.

More info will help us all make better recommendations.

Reactions: lazydave841
I put 18000 on my cx-30 in year 1. 86 miles round-trip for work (takes 2 hrs 10-20 minutes to drive it, rural). How long would 110V take to charge for this daily if you were to estimate? Work charging might be possible for me, but I'd have to look into it.
To fully recharge on 110V, which is the only choice for my car takes almost 11 hours.

If you could describe with some detail how you plan to utilize this vehicle. Normal frequency and travel distance; urban, suburban, rural; vacation trips, etc.

More info will help us all make better recommendations.
I would expect to put about 15k per year with half being the 10 - 40 mile around town, to/from work, etc and half being a mix of longer runs such as 2 - 3 times per month Harrisburg to Philadelphia, 6-7 times per year to Fenwick Island, 5-6 times per year to the Jersey shore, and one or two longer trips such as the Outer Banks, Blue Ridge Mountains, and Finger Lakes

Have owned 2 Hyundai's, a 2011 Veracruz ad a 2022 Tucson and love hem both. BTY, the Veracruz is still running a 194K+ miles. Gas only and loving it.

I have a plug in hybrid. It can go almost 50 miles on electric before the gas kicks in seamlessly. Since nearly everything I need is within 5 miles I can run multiple errands on electric and then plug in at night on 110V and it will be ready tomorrow. If I didn’t go to Penn State, Florida, and Maine I honestly believe I could go a full year on one tank of gas. I drove 8000 miles the first year and at least 4000 of that was on the electric motor. I cut my gas usage in half. The car gets around 50 mpg on gas. I have no range anxiety. I think this may be a good choice for this decade until electric cars and chargers improve.
I'm curious what kind of plug in hybrid do you own?

I was shopping for a new car 3 years ago and looking at a BMW plug in hybrid. They advertised the car got 150+ mpg on electric but nobody could tell me what my mileage would be after the first 25-50 miles. I thought it was a simple question but nobody had the answer. If you're getting 50 mpg that's excellent. I'm guessing you're driving a smaller car and that you don't get that mileage/range during the winter.

I would absolutely consider an EV or plug in hybrid if I commuted to work. I'd have a commuter car and an ICE vehicle.

Driving my 3rd hybrid and currently have a 2022 Hyundai Sonata. Price was $33,500 plus an extra $1500 to get 10 year or 100,000 mile bumper to bumper coverage. Problem is, I'll probably get to 100,000 miles in less than 8 years. Getting low 50s right now which drops about 10% during cold weather. The hybrid batteries are covered for 100,000 miles.
My 2012 Lincoln hybrid is still going strong but the gas mileage has dropped from mid 40s to low 30s. The gas mileage held up for about 4 years until it started to decline year by year. I think my battery was covered for 75,000 miles.

I was shopping for a new car 3 years ago and looking at a BMW plug in hybrid. They advertised the car got 150+ mpg on electric but nobody could tell me what my mileage would be after the first 25-50 miles. I thought it was a simple question but nobody had the answer. If you're getting 50 mpg that's excellent. I'm guessing you're driving a smaller car and that you don't get that mileage/range during the winter.

I would absolutely consider an EV or plug in hybrid if I commuted to work. I'd have a commuter car and an ICE vehicle.
The information you wanted was provided on the sticker. See the link for everything you ever wanted to know about an EPA fuel economy sticker. The example in the link, for a hybrid, shows you the all-electric range and it provides the combined gas-only MPG once you drain the battery. It sounds like the salespeople at that BMW dealer were lacking.

My wife drives a Toyota Highlander Hybrid with now a little over 40k miles. She averages around 36 mpg in the summer and 33-34 mpg in the winter (the heater actually uses more juice than the AC does in the summer. Considering the size of the vehicle, I am very happy with that gas mileage and she does not drive it with fuel efficiency at top of mind! This is our first hybrid, and thus far we are very happy with it. The only minor negative with the vehicle is that the engine is pretty noisy on full throttle because it is a four-cylinder (paired with the electric motor.) We certainly won’t win any street races, but the acceleration is definitely pretty decent. I have a family member who has a RAV4 hybrid, which has the exact same engine setup as the Highlander, and he routinely gets in the low 40s mpgs. I truly do wonder why most vehicles don’t come in hybrid form. It seems to be a no-brainer. I personally don’t think full electric is ready yet. Maybe in 10 to 20 years if our electricity grid is fixed in this country.
This is my scenario word for word. Only difference is I don’t notice engine noise but I rarely drive it.

Reactions: LMTLION
Purchased our first hybrid last summer - actually ordered it in Feb 23 and picked it up in Aug 23. A Toyota Camry XSE hybrid. Black with gorgeous red leather interior. Best car we've ever owned and that's saying something as I had an Acura Integra (1988 model) with 26k miles that I bought in the summer of 1992 the day the Dream team played their first exhibition game and put 200K on it over the next 10 years driving back and forth to work and carting my 2 boys around to all their sporting adventures that whole time. Only tires and exhaust (not SS) work and brakes a few times, and always got over 30 mpg no matter how hard I drove it.

The Camry hybrid is rated at 45 highway and 47 city and has every option imagineable. The lane departure is like having a 2nd wife to nag you, the the rest of the stuff is great, such as adaptive cruise which is great on lower speed limit roads as well and keeps you from tailgating the car in front of you. My wife probably gets 60 mpg with me about 40 as our driving styles differ somewhat.... :oops:

At around $35.5k I also can't fathom getting a better car for the money. All the options, beautiful interior and styling, top rated reliability,.....

No way I was opting for electric. To me it's a pipe dream to believe an electric car will be as easy to charge and deal with as a hybrid. And most are more expensive than the premier ride we are now driving. When the mental migets now running our government are pushing something to consumers (which is not their jobs) invariably they haven't thought through the ramifications......

The Camry is really my wife's car. After it was delivered it was my turn and I bought a 2011 Corvette Grand Sport with less than 2k miles in an online auction and love it as well. But when I replace my daily driver Hyundai Sonate I'll likely get another Camry XSE Hybrid, just in a different color combo than my wife's....

Toyota was the early leader in developing hybrid technology and Toyota's in general rate excellent in frequency of repairs. Their corporate strategy to refine hybrids and offer them across their vehicle lineup seems ahead of most manufacturers, as for example Ford seemed like they were going all in on electric but recently seem to be backing off that and going more into hybrids.

0342c6da9bd7fc68f20f68ede5fa85da.jpg

Last edited:

2023 Prius Prime. As others pointed out the gas mileage drops in cold weather but not much. From about 52 to about 47.

Reactions: bdroc
I'm still a gas owner. I really like Mazda's. I currently own a '23 CX-30 (AWD that gets 33 mpg, but kind of small), and still have a '12 6 (FWD that gets 28-31 now. 254xxx miles).

The gas mileage is very good and the durability is awesome. You can get better mileage out of a 3, but I like the way a 6 and a cx-30 handle better.

I drive a 2020 CX5. It was highly rated in terms of durability. No complaints. Just big enough. The CX-30 looks great.

I’ve got a plug in 2022 new hybrid Jeep Wrangler. I get about 30 miles before it needs recharged. It has great power and acceleration until the batteries drain. I got a $7500 tax credit year one. I also bought the 100k mile 10 year warranty. I like it a lot. It is worth about $40k today. But I got over a month without having to stop for gas. I paid - $60k for it.

Just recently, I bought a 3 year old Mercedes GLB250 for $28k, loaded, 28k miles. It gets 31 mpg and I love it.

My advice is to get a 3 year old Mercedes with 30k miles or less for half the original MSRP and drive it until it is no longer reliable.

• Love
Reactions: step.eng69
I drive a 2020 CX5. It was highly rated in terms of durability. No complaints. Just big enough. The CX-30 looks great.

I was on the hunt for a CX5 from about '21 til I bought the 30. They are awesome, but I never ran into the deal I wanted while looking.

Now is not the time to spend the way extra money on Hybrids and especially so-called Electric cars it's a dead market and certainly will never be sustainable.

Just wait for April or May of next year when gas prices will be around $3.50 a gallon. Many NON-Hybrid cars today with lots of power and luxury are getting 35 mpg around town and My Hyundai gets 45 MPG on a trip and when I go with the pedal down it has so much power you think it's going to jump off the frame.

Now is not the time to spend the way extra money on Hybrids and especially so-called Electric cars it's a dead market and certainly will never be sustainable.

Just wait for April or May of next year when gas prices will be around $3.50 a gallon. Many NON-Hybrid cars today with lots of power and luxury are getting 35 mpg around town and My Hyundai gets 45 MPG on a trip and when I go with the pedal down it has so much power you think it's going to jump off the frame.
I can't disagree with you more.

EVs have a vibrant market. They are challenged in extreme conditions right now (very cold or very hot). A lot depends on the person's driving habits. EVs are great if they are a second car (you can used the EV or ICE car when most efficient). If you use it as a daily driver when your commute is under 60 miles per day (you can charge it at night with a 120v standard line). If you have a long drive and you are not in a complete hurry, meaning you can spend a half hour at a recharging station. While someone may complain that they have to stop ever 3 or 4 hours to recharge on that twice-a-year-long trip, they love not having to stand in the rain/snow once a week to fill up their car at a gas station. I'll also add that EVs have way fewer moving parts so are more reliable.

On the PHEV I have a jeep wrangler 4xe. I end up filling it up with gas about once a quarter. When we take long trips, we don't care because it uses the gas engine. I've gone for weeks with it getting over 50 mpg in hybrid mode. It is actually more efficient on short trips than long ones. I get about 26 mpg on long trips but somewhere between 40 and 60 on daily drives. Knowing it had two drive trains, I opted to purchase the 10 year/100k mile bumper to bumper warranty. I was able to get them to throw it in for half price at the height of the COVID car shortage. It also qualified for the $7500 tax credit.

Honestly, I wait and look for the perfect used car and buy it for cash. Right now, you can get really good 20~22 models with really low miles as they weren't driven during the COVID lockdowns. I opted for a Mercedes because I love how smooth they are. Cars are really well-made today and if you take care of them, there is no reason to believe it won't last for ten years.

I have a VolvoXC60 PHEV. For me it is the perfect vehicle. It is rated at 35 miles per charge. I am getting closer to 38-40. The only time that I put gas into is is when I feel the need to burn gas so it doesn't stay in the tank too long and create its own issues. I drive 30-50 miles per day on average and charge the car on a 220V line that I had put into my garage. It takes about 4 hours to fully charge. As i said for me it is the perfect car. I do almost all of my day to day driving on electric but if I have to evacuate( I live in S FL) for a hurricane I have a gas tank that when full gives me 550 miles of range so all together I have almost 600 miles of range enough to get me to South Carolina or Atlanta without having to stop for fuel.

All that said it is not for everyone but if the circumstances fit it can be the perfect type of car.

I have a VolvoXC60 PHEV. For me it is the perfect vehicle. It is rated at 35 miles per charge. I am getting closer to 38-40. The only time that I put gas into is is when I feel the need to burn gas so it doesn't stay in the tank too long and create its own issues. I drive 30-50 miles per day on average and charge the car on a 220V line that I had put into my garage. It takes about 4 hours to fully charge. As i said for me it is the perfect car. I do almost all of my day to day driving on electric but if I have to evacuate( I live in S FL) for a hurricane I have a gas tank that when full gives me 550 miles of range so all together I have almost 600 miles of range enough to get me to South Carolina or Atlanta without having to stop for fuel.

All that said it is not for everyone but if the circumstances fit it can be the perfect type of car.
My Jeep has a system where the EV turns off and it goes to ICE every so often if the ICE hasn't recycled. The idea is to get the liquids to mix and circulate so they don't go bad. Glad you like your PHEV. It all comes down to the numbers, really.

I'm looking at vehicles which cost $35k - $42k depending on make and options. It's for my wife and the biggest non-negotiable is heated seats. If she sees an option she wants it, so I have to attempt to steer her in the right direction when we head out. More often than not some sneaky sales guy shows her a limited edition while I'm not paying attention so I can't let that happen again! I'll probably lose that battle but I will attempt a defense. I digress, back to your point. At my price range the typical hybrid adds about 5%- 8% so think about $2,200.

Now what do you think?

Just another quick note on ICE vs EVs. Tesla Plaid just broke the quarter-mile record this weekend. This is a 2021 Model S Plaid which goes for about $100k. A similar ICE car would be well over $250k. 0-60 in I.88 Seconds. 0-130 in 5.4 seconds. from dead stop to a quarter mile in 8.59 seconds.

• Wow
I'm looking at vehicles which cost $35k - $42k depending on make and options. It's for my wife and the biggest non-negotiable is heated seats. If she sees an option she wants it, so I have to attempt to steer her in the right direction when we head out. More often than not some sneaky sales guy shows her a limited edition while I'm not paying attention so I can't let that happen again! I'll probably lose that battle but I will attempt a defense. I digress, back to your point. At my price range the typical hybrid adds about 5%- 8% so think about $2,200.

Now what do you think?
The upgrade to hybrid on the Camry was only around $1k. I believe I read that beginning in the 2025 model year all Camrys will be hybrids.

Last edited:
The upgrade to hybrid on the Camry was only around $1k. I believe I read that beginning in the 2025 model year all Camrys will be hybrids.

Just doing some back-of-the-envelope math...if somebody does 10,000 miles per year and gets 31 mpg they spend about $1130 on gas at $3.50 per gallon. Lets say you increase your overall MPG with a hybrid you are looking at a savings of about $282 per year.

Honestly, the entire PHEV and EV issue is overblown when you are talking about a strict cost justification model. I didn't account for oil changes or maintenance (both lower for EVs but probably a push for ICE).

Now what do you think?
Wait on Trump and save $2,200. Use that for Christmas/Vacation investments etc.

Reactions: LeatherHelmets
Not sure why EV is out but I’ll share my thoughts.

We have an Tesla 3 and a daughter has a Kia Niro PHEV.

The Kia is great for her. Perfect for commuting with little gas consumption. Plugs in at home overnight. The only knock I have is that it is underpowered. Almost 3 years in and really only routine maintenance.

The Tesla is awesome. Mostly used as a commuter but it’s our primary car. I have an old 2006 BMW that I use on occasion but we take the Tesla every time we go anywhere. A few longer trips a year - mostly Phx to Tucson or Sedona and a ~350 mile trip to San Diego. It’s suboptimal for long trips (San Diego) due to stops and charging costs but we sucked it up for the few times we do it.

My thoughts:
Tesla was cheaper than expected and has been an incredible car so far.
Don’t get an EV if you can’t plug in at home.
We installed a 220 charger and it works great.
Almost 14k on Tesla and only rotated tires and put in an air filter.
We looked at PHEVs and Hybrids but settled on the Tesla primarily due to TCO.
Check with me in 3-4 years to see if I made the right decision.

Reactions: Agoodnap
I need a new car and I'm torn on which type of "fueled" vehicle to purchase. Electric is out for me. So that leaves three choices. Hybrids seem ok but I don't like the additional upfront cost. I'm very leery of the Plug-in hybrids because of my experiences with all types of batteries. I plan to keep this vehicle a long time and I don't want a dinosaur which I'm afraid gas may quickly become. Has anyone here gone through the pros and cons on that would be willing to share. I'm sure I'm not alone in this quandary. TIA
It depends greatly on what your driving needs are.

All electric are great if you have long work commutes (e.g. 50 miles per day) and/or primarily drive around town (my gf has an Audi etron). Not great for road trips (i.e. we take my car on any trip over 200 miles). Hard to know about long term maintenance since it's relatively new tech, but no oil changes, spark plugs, transmission fluid etc. If you battery does die, it's crazy expensive to replace.

Plug in hybrids (to me) seem like a bad deal -- you have to deal with all the maintenance issues of an ICE as well as the battery issues of a EV. But I guess if your family only has one car and needs to be able to do roadtrips and REALLY doesn't want an ICE that's your option.

I'm still on team internal combustion engine. I will eventually switch to EV once there are more charging stations and they have worked out some of the design flaws. I don't think you need to worry about gas going away in the life span of your car.

It's for my wife and the biggest non-negotiable is heated seats.
I know you aren't considering EVs but one thing to consider that I hadn't thought of before my gf bought one.

The heater in an EV really crushes your range. You tend to think of heating your car as being "free" (as opposed to AC which reduces gas mileage) but since there isn't appreciable heat coming off the engine (as there is in ICE) so you are basically running a space heater when the engine is on. Combine that with heated seats, navigation, etc and your range will be greatly reduced in cold weather.

Not an issue for FL but certainly for northern states.

I know you aren't considering EVs but one thing to consider that I hadn't thought of before my gf bought one.

The heater in an EV really crushes your range. You tend to think of heating your car as being "free" (as opposed to AC which reduces gas mileage) but since there isn't appreciable heat coming off the engine (as there is in ICE) so you are basically running a space heater when the engine is on. Combine that with heated seats, navigation, etc and your range will be greatly reduced in cold weather.

Not an issue for FL but certainly for northern states.
and don't forget that the Model Y got the highest safety rating of any car ever tested. It came out best in every safety category tested except 1, where it came in second.

and don't forget that the Model Y got the highest safety rating of any car ever tested. It came out best in every safety category tested except 1, where it came in second.

I would never buy a Tesla for a variety of reasons, but to each his/her own.

I would never buy a Tesla for a variety of reasons, but to each his/her own.
I know people in very cold climates are meh on them but people in CA, TX, FL, NC, SC that I know absolutely love them. I've got a neighbor who is now retired who used to negotiate contracts for SOHIO worldwide had one and LOVED it. He just bought a high end Audi RS Q8. He just told me last weekend he liked his Tesla S better. The S is about $80k and the R8 is $140k. One thing he misses is that the Tesla told him when the light was green so he didn't have to star at it until it changed.

I know people in very cold climates are meh on them but people in CA, TX, FL, NC, SC that I know absolutely love them. I've got a neighbor who is now retired who used to negotiate contracts for SOHIO worldwide had one and LOVED it. He just bought a high end Audi RS Q8. He just told me last weekend he liked his Tesla S better. The S is about $80k and the R8 is $140k. One thing he misses is that the Tesla told him when the light was green so he didn't have to star at it until it changed.
I know multiple people who have had major issues.

I also think Elon is a dbag and won't support his company.

Based on my research, I don't believe those reports. Or, more accurately, they are anecdotal. EVERYONE I know who has owned one simply loves it.
I mean the Reuters article is pretty clear that these aren't isolated anecdotal reports. IMHO, they aren't good cars.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT