ADVERTISEMENT

New Car Help: Gas vs Hybrid vs Plug-in Hybrid

Another question related to hybrids, either plug-in or not. If the EV power breaks down can you just continue operate the gas power and not worry about repairing the EV power or must you get it repaired when it breaks? If I went this route and got 7 years or more of the EV working I'd probably just forget about fixing it, depending on cost of repair, if it wasn't a problem to just keep driving the car.

Another question related to hybrids, either plug-in or not. If the EV power breaks down can you just continue operate the gas power and not worry about repairing the EV power or must you get it repaired when it breaks? If I went this route and got 7 years or more of the EV working I'd probably just forget about fixing it, depending on cost of repair, if it wasn't a problem to just keep driving the car.
If a hybrid battery fails the car won’t function. The battery will need to be replaced in order to drive the vehicle. Hybrid batteries can be about $5-6k or so depending on the vehicle.

• Wow
Reactions: step.eng69
GTz2faKW4AAnsP_
BTW I really like the new Buicks. I know they are trying to rebuild the brand and are marketing to chicks but the price points are good. Now this….

Reactions: lazydave841
If a hybrid battery fails the car won’t function. The battery will need to be replaced in order to drive the vehicle. Hybrid batteries can be about $5-6k or so depending on the vehicle.
My hybrid runs without the battery all the time and if the battery fails the gas takes over. My son has my original hybrid with over 200,000 miles on it and the battery is fine. While the battery was expensive 20 years ago, it can be replaced now for $1250. Also, hybrids are more dependable than ICE cars. The car mentioned above has had no major or minor repairs since it was purchased in 2007.

My hybrid runs without the battery all the time and if the battery fails the gas takes over. My son has my original hybrid with over 200,000 miles on it and the battery is fine. While the battery was expensive 20 years ago, it can be replaced now for $1250. Also, hybrids are more dependable than ICE cars. The car mentioned above has had no major or minor repairs since it was purchased in 2007.
Lots of good well-informed opinions here, but I am also on team (traditional) hybrid. You get the best of both worlds without relying on the electric grid. Plug-in hybrids are mired in some controversy regarding their environmental impacts, and are thought by some to be the more harmful than even traditional combustion engine vehicles.
In my opinion for the price point and needs of his wife, the OP should consider the Toyota Venza, an awd hybrid crossover that has that chick type of look and appeal to it.

I have my fingers crossed. Almost a year in and it’s the best car I’ve ever owned. I was a BMW guy for decades with the occasional non-BMW thrown in every so often.

Time will tell for me.
Hope it works out for you. I'm a BMW guy (just got my third one in Feb) and will probably look into BMW EVs when there are more model options and charging stations are more widespread.

Hope it works out for you. I'm a BMW guy (just got my third one in Feb) and will probably look into BMW EVs when there are more model options and charging stations are more widespread.
I was shocked to see, in the report I linked above, that Mercedes, Subaru, Audi and Honda were all ranked worse than average. This is especially true of Audi. I've never owned an Audi and was set to buy a Q5 until my wife and I test-drove it. We weren't 100 yards away when my wife said "Nope". We ended up getting the MB GLB250.

I was shocked to see, in the report I linked above, that Mercedes, Subaru, Audi and Honda were all ranked worse than average. This is especially true of Audi. I've never owned an Audi and was set to buy a Q5 until my wife and I test-drove it. We weren't 100 yards away when my wife said "Nope". We ended up getting the MB GLB250.
I test drove an Audi (ICE) A6 before I bought my first BMW. Nice looking exterior. Drove fine. But the interior felt cheap. Felt like a Volkswagen (for perhaps obvious reasons). The very high end Audis (gf has the etron GT) do not feel cheap, although it almost tries to straddle the line of trying to be a super car, e.g. it is crazy low to the ground to the extent that speed bumps are a problem. Beautiful looking car, but I wouldn't buy one.

Reactions: Obliviax
I test drove an Audi (ICE) A6 before I bought my first BMW. Nice looking exterior. Drove fine. But the interior felt cheap. Felt like a Volkswagen (for perhaps obvious reasons). The very high end Audis (gf has the etron GT) do not feel cheap, although it almost tries to straddle the line of trying to be a super car, e.g. it is crazy low to the ground to the extent that speed bumps are a problem. Beautiful looking car, but I wouldn't buy one.
Agreed. I also like the MB and BMWs because the body integrity is so high. Range Rovers and Porsches too. If you keep the body clean and waxed, it will look brand new for 15+ years. I think the Japanes cars (Toyota, Nissan, Mazda and Subaru) as well as the Koreans brands loose color and body integrity. A ten year old Lexus, for example, looks old to me. But a ten-year-old MB, BMW, Porsche or LR look classic.

I bought a 16 year old Porsche 911 4 with 22k miles and sold it four years later for $4,000 more than I paid for it. If you get a 15 year old car that was babied (perhaps from a FL or TENN retiree) you can actually make money. Cars are typically considered "classic" after 20 years. A lot of time, you'll get a person that was in college who dreamed of that special car who now, age 40, can afford it.

That’s good to know. Thanks.
I’m looking to buy by the end of the year and hybrids such as the Kia Sportage, Honda crv and Toyota RAV4 vehicles do not if the battery fails. What are you driving?

Vehicle dependability is slumping according to JD Power. I have to think cars built during the Covid pandemic are a factor.

“The high number of problems owners encounter indicates a decline in long-term vehicle dependability, with increased levels of problems reported for nearly two-thirds of brands included in the study. The industry average has increased 4 problems per 100 vehicles (PP100) year over year to 190 PP100 from 2023. The rate at which problems have increased between 90 days and three years of ownership has increased to 17%, up 5 percentage points from 12% in 2023.”

Last edited:
Vehicle dependability is slumping according to JD Power. I have to think cars built during the Covid pandemic are a factor.
I agree...but the article's reasoning is interesting.

• Infotainment systems - Obviously, this is still unsettled technology and probably correctable via software updates. Tesla does most of their updates like mobile phones. Others require you to go to the dealership, which is nuts
  • Annoyance with Driver Assistance Alerts - again, unsettled tech. I had a rental car that kept thinking I was going to hit something when the sleet froze over the sensors. But, of course, the more 'stuff' you put on a car the more that can go wrong. I also have to say that years ago, I had more problems with my vehicle theft deterrent system than I ever had with theft.
  • Electrified Vehicles - Again, unsettled tech. Many of these are new models (Mustang, EV6, VW ID.4, etc.) so new models always have a shake out period.

Reactions: jjw165
I'd love to own an EV, but I'll wait until our government mandates me in five years from now to pony-up the $$$ for an EV, even though our charging infrastructure will still be in its infancy as it is today. WE ARE NOT READY TO COMPETE WITH THE CONVIENCE GAS VEHICLES OFFER.

Heads should roll over the electric car fiasco​

Story by Matthew Lynn

"Profits at the German auto giant Mercedes plunged on Friday as sales of its slick new range of electric vehicles (EVs) went into freefall. Porsche abandoned its sales targets for battery-powered cars amid waning demand from customers. Ford is losing nearly $50,000 (£39,000) on every EV it sells, while Tesla’s profits dropped 45pc. Meanwhile, battery manufacturers such as Germany’s Varta are getting wiped out.

Over the last few days, it has become clear that the EV industry is on the brink of collapse. Hundreds of billions of euros, dollars and pounds have been pumped into this industry by political leaders and the subsidy junkies that surround them – and it is surely time they were held to account for the vast quantities of taxpayer cash that has been wasted.

In the last few days alone, there has been a steady stream of bad news from auto manufacturers. Mercedes, the company founded by Gottlieb Daimler that pioneered petrol driven cars, is struggling to replicate that success in the battery version. Group net profits were down 21pc on Friday, mostly on falling sales of its new range of EVs. Earlier in the week, its great rival Porsche watered down plans for its electric models.

Across the Atlantic, Ford reported that profits were down by 35pc in the latest quarter amid losses in its EV unit. And Tesla slashed prices and offered generous financing deals to try and revive flagging demand.

It is even worse for component manufacturers. Shares in Germany’s Varta are down by 70pc over the last month amid reports that the company may have to be rescued from bankruptcy after making heavy losses on batteries for hybrid sports cars. This week, the Belgium chemicals group Umicore announced a €1.6bn (£1.4bn) hit, as manufacturers warned of waning EV demand, and it postponed plans for a battery recycling plant.

The list goes on and on. In reality, the EV balance sheet looks to be awash with red ink. It is not hard to work out why. Costs are too high, as companies such as Ford have discovered, with electric cars much more expensive to produce than their traditional petrol rivals, and with shortages of critical materials pushing prices higher all the time.

There is too much capacity in the industry, with companies over-investing in too many factories and distribution centers. Demand for the end product has started to crumble, with consumers increasingly nervous over what may become obsolete technology. Insurance and maintenance costs are proving far higher than expected for many, once the vehicles are actually on the road.

And all that was before the Chinese entered the market with a new range of slick, cheap vehicles. The word “bloodbath” is used too often in business journalism. But right now, it may be the only one appropriate to describe the state of the Western EV industry.

Surely it is time that political heads started to roll for the catastrophe that is now unfolding. Policymakers, under pressure from industrial and climate change lobby groups, picked this “winner” and spent eye-watering amounts of taxpayer money on it.

In 2019, France’s President Macron grandly announced a Franco-German plan to dominate battery production, with €700m invested by France and another €1bn in Germany. The EU proudly boasts that €80bn has been invested in the “EV value chain” as part of its Green New Deal, but when the books are finally opened it is unlikely they will be good.

The situation is even worse in the US. The Biden administration recently awarded nearly $2bn in grants to help restart or expand EV manufacturing and assembly sites across eight states, which feels like throwing good money after bad. It has offered tens of billions in subsidies of more than $7,000 per vehicle sold, and even more in building the infrastructure, including one $7.5bn scheme to install chargers that ended up with only seven actually built (which works out at more than $1bn each for what is basically just a plug).

Even in this country, where our political class was largely too incompetent to back any projects, money was poured into the ill-fated Britishvolt project, and it remains to be seen how much is finally given to India’s Tata for its new EV battery factory in Somerset.

Economists have long warned that net zero provides a golden opportunity for waste and rent-seeking. But some elites chose not to listen. We should start holding them accountable. Lobbyists argued for the subsidies, civil servants supported them, and finance ministers enthusiastically virtue signaled with other people’s money.

But too much investment creates overcapacity. Markets are better at deciding which technologies work than politicians, and if there is a genuine demand for a product then no one has to receive a grant to manufacture it, since the potential profits to be made will be incentive enough."

The carnage in the EV industry is only just getting started and already it has cost billions.

BB1qQdKh.img

LINK:
Ford (NYSE: F) Throws In The Towel And Decides To Make Money

The myth that half the cars sold in the United States would be EVs five years from now, which is what the government was talking about and all that.
Car companies were yakking about, that's not going to happen.
If you look at people who thought about an EV, I'm worried I can't find a charging station.
I'm worried how long it takes to charge.
I'm worried how far does it go on a charge.
What if it's a cold winter?
I'm worried that in the wintertime, the full charge doesn't go in.
I'm worried because they eat through tires faster than gas power.
There was a survey recently, a month and a half ago, that said about a third of the people who own an EV said that when they get rid of it, they're going to buy another.
Yeah.
Yeah.
And there's always the person that, they somehow want to be climate friendly or eco-friendly and they're thinking, and everybody wants a clean environment.
I mean, Teddy Roosevelt was the first one that started pounding the table on the clean environment.
And that was over a hundred years ago.
But there's one thing about trying to be, do good things for the environment.
And there's other fools’ errands like this, where you chase something that there is no infrastructure for.”

I'd love to own an EV, but I'll wait until our government mandates me in five years from now to pony-up the $$$ for an EV, even though our charging infrastructure will still be in its infancy as it is today. WE ARE NOT READY TO COMPETE WITH THE CONVIENCE GAS VEHICLES OFFER.

Story by Matthew Lynn

"Profits at the German auto giant Mercedes plunged on Friday as sales of its slick new range of electric vehicles (EVs) went into freefall. Porsche abandoned its sales targets for battery-powered cars amid waning demand from customers. Ford is losing nearly $50,000 (£39,000) on every EV it sells, while Tesla’s profits dropped 45pc. Meanwhile, battery manufacturers such as Germany’s Varta are getting wiped out.

Over the last few days, it has become clear that the EV industry is on the brink of collapse. Hundreds of billions of euros, dollars and pounds have been pumped into this industry by political leaders and the subsidy junkies that surround them – and it is surely time they were held to account for the vast quantities of taxpayer cash that has been wasted.

In the last few days alone, there has been a steady stream of bad news from auto manufacturers. Mercedes, the company founded by Gottlieb Daimler that pioneered petrol driven cars, is struggling to replicate that success in the battery version. Group net profits were down 21pc on Friday, mostly on falling sales of its new range of EVs. Earlier in the week, its great rival Porsche watered down plans for its electric models.

Across the Atlantic, Ford reported that profits were down by 35pc in the latest quarter amid losses in its EV unit. And Tesla slashed prices and offered generous financing deals to try and revive flagging demand.

It is even worse for component manufacturers. Shares in Germany’s Varta are down by 70pc over the last month amid reports that the company may have to be rescued from bankruptcy after making heavy losses on batteries for hybrid sports cars. This week, the Belgium chemicals group Umicore announced a €1.6bn (£1.4bn) hit, as manufacturers warned of waning EV demand, and it postponed plans for a battery recycling plant.

The list goes on and on. In reality, the EV balance sheet looks to be awash with red ink. It is not hard to work out why. Costs are too high, as companies such as Ford have discovered, with electric cars much more expensive to produce than their traditional petrol rivals, and with shortages of critical materials pushing prices higher all the time.

There is too much capacity in the industry, with companies over-investing in too many factories and distribution centers. Demand for the end product has started to crumble, with consumers increasingly nervous over what may become obsolete technology. Insurance and maintenance costs are proving far higher than expected for many, once the vehicles are actually on the road.

And all that was before the Chinese entered the market with a new range of slick, cheap vehicles. The word “bloodbath” is used too often in business journalism. But right now, it may be the only one appropriate to describe the state of the Western EV industry.

Surely it is time that political heads started to roll for the catastrophe that is now unfolding. Policymakers, under pressure from industrial and climate change lobby groups, picked this “winner” and spent eye-watering amounts of taxpayer money on it.

In 2019, France’s President Macron grandly announced a Franco-German plan to dominate battery production, with €700m invested by France and another €1bn in Germany. The EU proudly boasts that €80bn has been invested in the “EV value chain” as part of its Green New Deal, but when the books are finally opened it is unlikely they will be good.

The situation is even worse in the US. The Biden administration recently awarded nearly $2bn in grants to help restart or expand EV manufacturing and assembly sites across eight states, which feels like throwing good money after bad. It has offered tens of billions in subsidies of more than $7,000 per vehicle sold, and even more in building the infrastructure, including one $7.5bn scheme to install chargers that ended up with only seven actually built (which works out at more than $1bn each for what is basically just a plug).

Even in this country, where our political class was largely too incompetent to back any projects, money was poured into the ill-fated Britishvolt project, and it remains to be seen how much is finally given to India’s Tata for its new EV battery factory in Somerset.

Economists have long warned that net zero provides a golden opportunity for waste and rent-seeking. But some elites chose not to listen. We should start holding them accountable. Lobbyists argued for the subsidies, civil servants supported them, and finance ministers enthusiastically virtue signaled with other people’s money.

But too much investment creates overcapacity. Markets are better at deciding which technologies work than politicians, and if there is a genuine demand for a product then no one has to receive a grant to manufacture it, since the potential profits to be made will be incentive enough."

The carnage in the EV industry is only just getting started and already it has cost billions.

BB1qQdKh.img

LINK:

The myth that half the cars sold in the United States would be EVs five years from now, which is what the government was talking about and all that.
If you look at people who thought about an EV, I'm worried I can't find a charging station.
There was a survey recently, a month and a half ago, that said about a third of the people who own an EV said that when they get rid of it, they're going to buy another.
Yeah.
Yeah.
And there's always the person that, they somehow want to be climate friendly or eco-friendly and they're thinking, and everybody wants a clean environment.
I mean, Teddy Roosevelt was the first one that started pounding the table on the clean environment.
And there's other fools’ errands like this, where you chase something that there is no infrastructure for.”

Thanks for the post. I agree with the article 100%. But the problem isn't EVs, it is that various govts tried to shove them down our throats.

First, it is questionable if an EV is actually better for the environment when you actually consider all of the issues.

Second, the value of EVs is different depending on where you live, the price of fuel, your driving habits, if it is a primary or secondary vehicle, and dozens of other personal needs. The govt always thinks "one size fits all". It doesn't. Canadians are having a hell of a time in the winter with EVs and we saw what happened in Chicago last winter during a short-term fidged snap. New tech takes time to mature and be perfected. it was stupid to think they'd be perfect in three years. GM's Caddy EV is a nightmare and you can get dozens on them, cheap, that have been declared "lemons" in the USA's lemon law guidelines. But they are beautiful cars. If you are looking for a second car, and have the patience to let them get it fixed under warranty, you'd have a nice car.

Third, while the govt is handing out incentives on one hand, they are penalizing EV owners in the other. In Ohio, and many other states, registration and/or taxation is higher to make up for the lost fuel tax revenue. When the cost/ratio is iffy anyway, those higher fees aren't helping.

Fourth, markets evolve, and they rarely explode. As EV's mature, as their batteries mature, the cost-benefit ratios will clearly get better. You can't just say "ok, everyone go get EVs!"

The problem was and is the government. The problem, now, is that they've really stained the EV brand. it will take years to recover.

I test drove an Audi (ICE) A6 before I bought my first BMW. Nice looking exterior. Drove fine. But the interior felt cheap.
A lot of auto makers are shunning leather interiors. I recall looking at a $65k Mercedes that came with their version of pleather (MB=Tex). Teslas don't have leather seats. I'm old fashioned and a bit spoiled. I want a plush leather interior.

A lot of auto makers are shunning leather interiors. I recall looking at a $65k Mercedes that came with their version of pleather (MB=Tex). Teslas don't have leather seats. I'm old fashioned and a bit spoiled. I want a plush leather interior.
I suspect that is done a) to lower costs and b) to keep activists from throwing red paint onto their cars.

Story by Matthew Lynn

BB1qQdKh.img

LINK:

Yeah.
Yeah.

I'm not sure why most people need much of a charging infrastructure. You would certainly need them along the turnpike and major interstate highways for people and in high rise apartments/condos. But other than that not so much. The gas stations we see now will be gone if the mandates are implemented.

Thanks for the post. I agree with the article 100%. But the problem isn't EVs, it is that various govts tried to shove them down our throats.
The problem was and is the government. The problem, now, is that they've really stained the EV brand. it will take years to recover.

MY FEELING ALSO, OBLI

I'm not sure why most people need much of a charging infrastructure. You would certainly need them along the turnpike and major interstate highways for people and in high rise apartments/condos. But other than that not so much. The gas stations we see now will be gone if the mandates are implemented.
WELL, I guess eventually there will be charging stations nationwide, possibly another technology in the next decade will offer better advantages than electric making the charging stations obsolete.

Pennsylvania reaches milestone with first EV charging station under federal infrastructure law​

By: Peter Hall - January 23, 2024

Federal and state officials on Tuesday announced the completion of the first electric vehicle charging station in Pennsylvania built as part of a $2.5 billion program to improve EV infrastructure across the country.

The charging station at the Pilot Travel Center on Route 315 in Pittston, Luzerne County is the first of 56 projects in 37 counties slated for construction under the National Electric Vehicle Infrastructure (NEVI) program.

The U.S. Department of Transportation awarded Pennsylvania $171.5 million for EV charging stations under the federal Bipartisan Infrastructure Law in 2022.

Like the Pilot Travel Center charging station in Luzerne County, the projects administered by the Pennsylvania Department of Transportation are located at gas stations and other businesses directly off major interstate highways.

The milestone project in Pittston, one of the first in the nation under the EV infrastructure project, will help to grow Pennsylvania’s economy and ensure the commonwealth is prepared for the next generation of transportation, which will be cleaner, more affordable and more reliable than before, the Shapiro administration said in a statement.

“The Shapiro Administration is quickly making these federal investments work for Pennsylvanians and I’m proud that we remain among the nation’s leaders in expanding EV charging options,” Transportation Secretary Mike Carroll said. “In partnership with the companies electrifying these sites, we are creating healthier communities by reducing our carbon footprint and supporting clean-energy jobs.”

Open to the public since Dec. 21, the $610,393 Pilot Travel Center charging station was built in collaboration with General Motors. The chargers, installed by electric vehicle charging provider EVgo, allow four vehicles at a time to recharge while drivers have access to restrooms, food and other conveniences.

“President Biden’s infrastructure law is delivering results for Pennsylvania, from repairing aging roads and bridges to building new electric vehicle charging stations,” U.S. Transportation Secretary Pete Buttigieg said. “These investments are helping America lead the electric vehicle revolution into the future.”

The federal EV infrastructure funding helps Pennsylvania and the federal government move toward its goal of expanding EV charging facilities along 1,800 miles of interstate highways in the commonwealth designated as Alternative Fuel Corridors (AFCs). Under federal guidelines, the funds must first be used to build charging stations no more than every 50 miles along the designated routes.

Once the AFCs are fully covered, PennDOT will shift to expanding EV charging infrastructure in communities. A second round of funding will make $22 million available to fill the remaining gaps in the AFC charging network, the Shaprio administration said in a statement.

With millions of dollars slated for Pennsylvania to expand access to electric vehicle charging, officials announced a series of projects receiving the first round of $171.5 million federal grant funding.

Organization NameAddressCountyAward AmountElectric Distribution Company
6406 Truck Plaza LLC6406 Emlenton Clintonville RdVenango$456,318FirstEnergy (Penelec)
Alnajukchahat Store, LLC547 N. Hunter Hwy.Luzerne$1,008,770PPL
American Truck Plazas, LLC1460 N Ridge RdNorthumberland$965,997PPL
Applegreen Electric PA LLC1026 Jefferson AveWashington$1,200,000FirstEnergy (West Penn Power)
Blink Network LLC73 Rolling Stone Rd.Clearfield$529,988FirstEnergy (Penelec)
BP Products North America, Inc.204 Wilson RdWashington$607,822FirstEnergy (West Penn Power)
BP Products North America, Inc.3612 State Route 31Westmoreland$607,822FirstEnergy (West Penn Power)
ChargePoint, Inc.749 E Lincoln HwyBucks$944,383PECO
Electrify America, LLC8555 Lancaster AveBerks$741,290FirstEnergy (West Penn Power)
Electrify America, LLC3695 Paxton StreetDauphin$775,804PPL
Electrify America, LLC1400 Logan AvenueBlair$790,703FirstEnergy (Penelec)
Francis Energy PA, LLC2580 Constitution BlvdBeaver$739,821FirstEnergy (West Penn Power)
Francis Energy PA, LLC1900 Ritner HwyCumberland$738,937PPL
Francis Energy PA, LLC986 Norland Ave.Franklin$793,457Borough of Chambersburg
Liberty Truck Center, Inc.7018 Blue Ridge TrailLuzerne$661,019PPL

WELL, I guess eventually there will be charging stations nationwide, possibly another technology in the next decade will offer better advantages than electric making the charging stations obsolete.

Pennsylvania reaches milestone with first EV charging station under federal infrastructure law​

Federal and state officials on Tuesday announced the completion of the first electric vehicle charging station in Pennsylvania built as part of a $2.5 billion program to improve EV infrastructure across the country.

The charging station at the Pilot Travel Center on Route 315 in Pittston, Luzerne County is the first of 56 projects in 37 counties slated for construction under the National Electric Vehicle Infrastructure (NEVI) program.

The U.S. Department of Transportation awarded Pennsylvania $171.5 million for EV charging stations under the federal Bipartisan Infrastructure Law in 2022.

Like the Pilot Travel Center charging station in Luzerne County, the projects administered by the Pennsylvania Department of Transportation are located at gas stations and other businesses directly off major interstate highways.

The milestone project in Pittston, one of the first in the nation under the EV infrastructure project, will help to grow Pennsylvania’s economy and ensure the commonwealth is prepared for the next generation of transportation, which will be cleaner, more affordable and more reliable than before, the Shapiro administration said in a statement.

“The Shapiro Administration is quickly making these federal investments work for Pennsylvanians and I’m proud that we remain among the nation’s leaders in expanding EV charging options,” Transportation Secretary Mike Carroll said. “In partnership with the companies electrifying these sites, we are creating healthier communities by reducing our carbon footprint and supporting clean-energy jobs.”

Open to the public since Dec. 21, the $610,393 Pilot Travel Center charging station was built in collaboration with General Motors. The chargers, installed by electric vehicle charging provider EVgo, allow four vehicles at a time to recharge while drivers have access to restrooms, food and other conveniences.

“President Biden’s infrastructure law is delivering results for Pennsylvania, from repairing aging roads and bridges to building new electric vehicle charging stations,” U.S. Transportation Secretary Pete Buttigieg said. “These investments are helping America lead the electric vehicle revolution into the future.”

The federal EV infrastructure funding helps Pennsylvania and the federal government move toward its goal of expanding EV charging facilities along 1,800 miles of interstate highways in the commonwealth designated as Alternative Fuel Corridors (AFCs). Under federal guidelines, the funds must first be used to build charging stations no more than every 50 miles along the designated routes.

Once the AFCs are fully covered, PennDOT will shift to expanding EV charging infrastructure in communities. A second round of funding will make $22 million available to fill the remaining gaps in the AFC charging network, the Shaprio administration said in a statement.

With millions of dollars slated for Pennsylvania to expand access to electric vehicle charging, officials announced a series of projects receiving the first round of $171.5 million federal grant funding.

6406 Truck Plaza LLC6406 Emlenton Clintonville RdVenango$456,318FirstEnergy (Penelec)
Applegreen Electric PA LLC1026 Jefferson AveWashington$1,200,000FirstEnergy (West Penn Power)
BP Products North America, Inc.204 Wilson RdWashington$607,822FirstEnergy (West Penn Power)
BP Products North America, Inc.3612 State Route 31Westmoreland$607,822FirstEnergy (West Penn Power)
Electrify America, LLC8555 Lancaster AveBerks$741,290FirstEnergy (West Penn Power)
Francis Energy PA, LLC2580 Constitution BlvdBeaver$739,821FirstEnergy (West Penn Power)
I am not sure I want the govt funding this but I also get it. Regardless, I'd love to be able to top off my charge while shopping at Giant Eagle or having a burrito at Chipotle. I also understand why FirstEnergy would want them but not sure anyone is going to go out of their way to get charged up there. Many hotels and office buildings have them now across the country. People that I know love them because it is like handicapped parking with financial perks.

• Haha

First, it is questionable if an EV is actually better for the environment when you actually consider all of the issues.

Second, the value of EVs is different depending on where you live, the price of fuel, your driving habits, if it is a primary or secondary vehicle, and dozens of other personal needs. The govt always thinks "one size fits all". It doesn't. Canadians are having a hell of a time in the winter with EVs and we saw what happened in Chicago last winter during a short-term fidged snap. New tech takes time to mature and be perfected. it was stupid to think they'd be perfect in three years. GM's Caddy EV is a nightmare and you can get dozens on them, cheap, that have been declared "lemons" in the USA's lemon law guidelines. But they are beautiful cars. If you are looking for a second car, and have the patience to let them get it fixed under warranty, you'd have a nice car.

Third, while the govt is handing out incentives on one hand, they are penalizing EV owners in the other. In Ohio, and many other states, registration and/or taxation is higher to make up for the lost fuel tax revenue. When the cost/ratio is iffy anyway, those higher fees aren't helping.

Fourth, markets evolve, and they rarely explode. As EV's mature, as their batteries mature, the cost-benefit ratios will clearly get better. You can't just say "ok, everyone go get EVs!"

When the grid experiences as many issues as it does in places like California and Texas, it is impossible to imagine widespread adoption of electric vehicles. Until the grid is massively upgraded it will he a niche product. I think hydrogen has a better chance than electric unless fusion becomes a reality later this century.

When the grid experiences as many issues as it does in places like California and Texas, it is impossible to imagine widespread adoption of electric vehicles. Until the grid is massively upgraded it will he a niche product. I think hydrogen has a better chance than electric unless fusion becomes a reality later this century.
Hmmm...I don't agree. CA and TX have great opportunities to go solar. I have a friend who has a model X and Y and claims she spends ZERO on energy due to her roof being covered with solar panels. She lives an hour north of San Diego. For the most part, the grids have been as reliable as gas. I recall times of several shortages. But electric shortages, with a single exception, are much shorter. I, personally, have a natgas backup that I could use to, at least, get far enough away to charge my car.

When I went to the PSU rose bowl, my uber was a Toyota Mirai. That is a natgas powered car. He LOVED it. As an Uber driver, he was getting close to 1000 miles per fillup. Here is the problem: they are incredibly incendiary and there was only one place to get a fillup with Natgas in all of LA (at the time, according to him). he said that there are tons of federal guidelines to minimize fires and expostions. Second to that, even when you get certified, the insurance is through the roof. We talked about exchanging tanks like you would do for a grill. That may be feasible but would require standardization and some way to get heavy tanks in and out of your car as most women wouldn't be able to do it. And if you got to pay some dude, you may defeat the purpose of going natgas in the first place.

Having said that, natgas could evolve and be the answer. I understand Toyota was late to the EV market because they thought it would go natgas and didn't want to invest in a dying EV market.

Hmmm...I don't agree. CA and TX have great opportunities to go solar. I have a friend who has a model X and Y and claims she spends ZERO on energy due to her roof being covered with solar panels. She lives an hour north of San Diego. For the most part, the grids have been as reliable as gas. I recall times of several shortages. But electric shortages, with a single exception, are much shorter. I, personally, have a natgas backup that I could use to, at least, get far enough away to charge my car.

When I went to the PSU rose bowl, my uber was a Toyota Mirai. That is a natgas powered car. He LOVED it. As an Uber driver, he was getting close to 1000 miles per fillup. Here is the problem: they are incredibly incendiary and there was only one place to get a fillup with Natgas in all of LA (at the time, according to him). he said that there are tons of federal guidelines to minimize fires and expostions. Second to that, even when you get certified, the insurance is through the roof. We talked about exchanging tanks like you would do for a grill. That may be feasible but would require standardization and some way to get heavy tanks in and out of your car as most women wouldn't be able to do it. And if you got to pay some dude, you may defeat the purpose of going natgas in the first place.

Having said that, natgas could evolve and be the answer. I understand Toyota was late to the EV market because they thought it would go natgas and didn't want to invest in a dying EV market.
The Uber driver was feeding you a line of BS. The Mirai is not natural gas powered, it's a Hydrogen cell vehicle with a range of about 400 miles.

The Uber driver was feeding you a line of BS. The Mirai is not natural gas powered, it's a Hydrogen cell vehicle with a range of about 400 miles.

You are correct....I got them confused. It is hydrogen.

$610k for one charging station? I own a condo and Chargepoint put two in for free. Of course they keep the revenues from people paying to charge.

Last edited:
$610k for one charging station? I own a condo and Charge point put two in for free. Of course they keep the revenues from people paying to charge.
WELL, it does have (4)- plugs. Pilot charges $0.57 per kW. @Obliviax

So how much does it cost, on the average, to travel 100 miles?
34.6 x $0.57 = $19+?? ....... seems too high 🤷‍♀️..... is this right?

Pilot's is essentially free also....well, the taxpayers are investing. 😂

The charging station is being installed at the Pilot Travel Center at 417 Route 315 in Pittston, as part of Pilot Company's collaboration with General Motors. The cost of construction is supported by $610,393 in NEVI funds

Average Electric Car kWh Per Mile [Results From 231 EVs]
Last updated: February 1, 2024.

Find the average electric car kWh per 100 miles, along with the best and the worst. Plus see the costs, savings and how you can go greener.​

When working out the average cost of charging an electric car at home, I had to find the average electric car kWh per mile. But I couldn’t find a specific answer to this online, that referenced reliable sources. So I had to do the research, and here it is:
The average electric car kWh per 100 miles (kWh/100 mi) is 34.6.
This works out as 0.346kWh per mile. In other words, on average, electric cars consume 34.6kWh to travel 100 miles and 0.346kWh to travel 1 mile.

Last edited:

Find the average electric car kWh per 100 miles, along with the best and the worst. Plus see the costs, savings and how you can go greener.​

When working out the average cost of charging an electric car at home, I had to find the average electric car kWh per mile. But I couldn’t find a specific answer to this online, that referenced reliable sources. So I had to do the research, and here it is:
This works out as 0.346kWh per mile. In other words, on average, electric cars consume 34.6kWh to travel 100 miles and 0.346kWh to travel 1 mile.
I've never charged at a public station. I actually tried, twice, and both times it was broken. There is a lot of work to be done relative to infrastructure. But EV's, today, are only good in targeted areas. In Many, if not most, markets cannot be cost justified. But you may want to do it just to lower air pollution.

Regardless, I think EVs are in their infancy. Once you go to EVs, there is really little engineering that needs to be accomplished. Compared to ICE where the ratio between engine and transmission has to be balanced along with ride/handling. Most of that goes away with EVs. Plus, we are going to see huge increases in battery technology. The bottom line to all of that is that EVs will be half the cost of ICE cars in five years once the makers bury their start up engineering costs. Tesla has already diversified with a network of charging stations (almost all other makers have aligned with Tesla's network of chargers), solar panels, home charging devices (home supercharger), and pre-defined charging locations when leaving for a trip. LINK

The mistake that has been made is the force-feeding of EVs instead of letting the makers innovate to exploit markets as they evolve and become available.

At my age, 75, probably won't see the max transition of the EV's.
I honestly think it would have been faster if the govt didn't interfere. Tesla was a game changer and all of the other providers know they have to catch up. But making fake markets caused companies to over-invest before the infrastructure and raw material providers were ready. Now we've created a backlash because people see the downside of EVs and not the upside. I'll tell you what, the best upside is driving past a gas station watching people fill up their cars in the driving rain or snow or wind. The second best one is getting an over-the-wifi update with "free" benefits. Not long ago, Tesla unveiled a tool that allowed the user to set up when they wanted their cars to begin to charge. An audience member suggested that the question to ask was "when do you expect to need your car again?" Asking when the user wanted the car to start charging made the user walk through a mathematical analysis (when do I need to drive, how long will charging take, do the math thereof, enter the start time into the car app). Within weeks, Tesla released a tool to have the car ask the driver when they pull into their garage, "when do you expect to need your car again?" The car does the rest. Smart.

• Wow

Pilot's is essentially free also....well, the taxpayers are investing. 😂

The charging station is being installed at the Pilot Travel Center at 417 Route 315 in Pittston, as part of Pilot Company's collaboration with General Motors. The cost of construction is supported by $610,393 in NEVI funds

I don't know the price they charge. I've seen Teslas a BMW, and a Lucid using it.

Last edited:
BMW SUV. What would you recommend for a used one? They seem to rate pretty well in Consumer Reports.

Current administration has no plans for generating the electricity that the country will need regardless of the trend towards or stagnation of EV's.

As much as the French look stupid with many of their policies they adopted a national reliance on nuclear power. The U.S. could shore up the grid for generations to come by a Federal plan to strategically locate 20 to 30 nuclear plants, and finance them, along with a standard plant design arrived at by a review of the couple nuclear plants being built I believe in Georgia(?).

Reactions: Ski and step.eng69

Which vehicles are you looking at? Most hybrids start the engine with the electric motor (the Prius type). Dead batteries mean it can't start (and the gas engine can't recharge because it won't start). They also don't have a traditional transmission (which is a big plus from a reliability standpoint). There are other hybrids that use the electric motor to boost power for the smaller engines (the Toyota truck types) and then feed into a regular transmission. So you need to see how the drive train is actually set up.

Even in all this there's 2 main types of batteries - NiMH and lithium. NiMH last much, much longer and are more robust (and don't catch fire), but lithium are lighter and provide better range (and if they catch fire are nasty, nasty, nasty). The biggest impact on battery reliability involves its cooling system and placement. Toyota added simple cleanable air filters and battery longevity went up significantly. They put the batteries inside the cabin under the back seat and that also made a big improvement. These are small things that make a big impact and are worth looking for. Also, Toyota still uses a lot of NiMH battery packs for reliability purposes, although when they want range for a model they will use lithium.

Also, every car still has a 12V battery. It does not start the car, it powers the computers, and if it dies the car won't start.

Post a couple of vehicles you're considering and we can start looking at their powertrains and other details. Even among the types you listed there are significant differences.

Reactions: jjw165 and Agoodnap
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT