ADVERTISEMENT

Nolf at 79 KG

No matter how you slice it, Nolf would have to face Imar/Dake/JB or Dake/Imar/JB. The only real seeding question is whether he draws Green in the quarterfinals.

The seeding is a mess in general. In a normal 8 man bracket the seeds always add up to 9 (1vs8 2vs7 etc), but when you have what I think will be 10 or 11 people wrestling at the weight once everyone is qualified and, what I presume is the bottom fourth of the bracket being essentially empty (as that is where dake and three other people would normally be-except they are removing the other three so as to give dake a bye to the semis), you get this situation where I can't figure out for the life of me what the other pairings should add up to and, if it's even possible to get a uniform combined seed like we see in a normal eight man bracket.

It's an interesting exercise to try and picture. You all are probably right saying he'd be in the "bottom half"--but is it better to likely face the "1" seed, or the winner of 2 vs 3? Kinda tough--though I'd probably choose the winner of Nolf vs. Green over Imar if I was KD.

I'm big on outdoor activities whenever weather permits around these parts. So I'm not real big on going to "offseason" wrestling tournaments. But I got a ticket for Olympic trials and I'm glad I did because these brackets are going to be absurdly stacked. Nolf against any of those names mentioned is worth the short ride up.

My Prediction on the Olympic Trial Winners and the Olympic Team!

Men's freestyle wrestling

• 57 kg (125 lb) Spencer Lee
  • 65 kg (143 lb) Zain Retherford
  • 74 kg (163 lb) Jason Nolf
  • 86 kg (190 lb) David Taylor
  • 97 kg (214 lb) Bo Nickal
  • 125 kg (276 lb) Greg Kerkvliet
Probably a 96% chance this will happen:cool:!

My Prediction on the Olympic Trial Winners and the Olympic Team!

Men's freestyle wrestling

• 57 kg (125 lb) Spencer Lee
  • 65 kg (143 lb) Zain Retherford
  • 74 kg (163 lb) Jason Nolf
  • 86 kg (190 lb) David Taylor
  • 97 kg (214 lb) Bo Nickal
  • 125 kg (276 lb) Greg Kerkvliet
Probably a 96% chance this will happen:cool:!
I'd prolly go with Cassar at 125 but I like this!

Reactions: Antaeus and danoftw
No matter how you slice it, Nolf would have to face Imar/Dake/JB or Dake/Imar/JB. The only real seeding question is whether he draws Green in the quarterfinals.

Would be a crazy run, looking forward to it. Love watching that kid do his thing.

Reactions: diggerpup
The seeding is a mess in general. In a normal 8 man bracket the seeds always add up to 9 (1vs8 2vs7 etc), but when you have what I think will be 10 or 11 people wrestling at the weight once everyone is qualified and, what I presume is the bottom fourth of the bracket being essentially empty (as that is where dake and three other people would normally be-except they are removing the other three so as to give dake a bye to the semis), you get this situation where I can't figure out for the life of me what the other pairings should add up to and, if it's even possible to get a uniform combined seed like we see in a normal eight man bracket.

If there are over 8 but under 17 they will use a 16 man bracket and the seeds will add up to 17.

See the pic roar posted, If they indeed insert Dake/Cox into the semis it will look similar only with one more round early on. There will be “empty”area.

If there are over 8 but under 17 they will use a 16 man bracket and the seeds will add up to 17.

See the pic roar posted, If they indeed insert Dake/Cox into the semis it will look similar only with one more round early on. There will be “empty”area.
But that isn't where JB is going. JB and Snyder are the 2 with the automatic trip to the final VI. (X) or whatever it's called.

Reactions: CholleyVandine
Here is a link to Askren's rant on this bracket. Dake wrestles in the semis, and the top half semifinalist gets a bye to the finals. So stupid!

Roar,
That bracket shows 2 getting byes to the semis. That would just be Dake, right? JB is already to the best 2/3 Sunday night. At least that is how I understood it. Very confusing!
Here's my take;

For weight classes 57kg, 65kg, 86kg and 125kg: Look at the bracket I posted earlier. There will be no bout 7 or bout 8. Instead, the winners of bout 5 and bout 6 will wrestle on day 2, best of 3. (These weight classes have no World Champ waiting in the finals, and no inserted World Champ at a non-Olympic Weight)

For weight classes 74kg, and 97kg: We have both, (1) a World Champ waiting in the finals, and (2) a World Champ at a non-Olympic weight inserted in the semis. I'm guessing Dake and Cox get inserted in the bottom half, allowing the #1 seed to get to them IF THEY WIN TO THAT POINT. Bout 7 becomes a bye, so the winner of bout 5 moves to the finals of the day 1 bracket to face the winner of bout 8. That winner meets Burroughs (74kg) or Snyder (97kg), best of 3 on day 2.

Wouldn't it be so much easier if they just called Dake and Cox the #1 seed? It would be so much easier to seed it fairly.
Then what do you do with Burroughs and Snyder, make them #1 seeds too?

Fewer matches in a tourney like this will be huge. I guess the question is, does being World Champ at a non-Olympic weight earn the wrestler a bye to the semis in the challenger bracket? Could be two fewer bouts. Does earning a World Championship at an Olympic weight warrant placing the wrestler in the finals?

To me, being World Champ is an amazing accomplishment. If Snyder and Burroughs get the benefit of sitting in the finals, it seems placing a World Champ in a non-Olympic weigh in the semis seems about right. Just me though.

Last edited:
Reactions: creamery freak
Fewer matches in a tourney like this will be huge. I guess the question is, does being World Champ earn the wrestler a bye to the semis in the challenger bracket? Could be two fewer bouts.
I meant that they would still get the bye to the semis. If they were called the #1 seed, you could reverse seed the rest of the bracket so they still lined up with the 4th seed in that semifinal bout. This way, essentially Dake (#1), the 2 and 3 seed will all be on the same half of the bracket. That is what Asken was railing about.

Reactions: RoarLions1
I meant that they would still get the bye to the semis. If they were called the #1 seed, you could reverse seed the rest of the bracket so they still lined up with the 4th seed in that semifinal bout. This way, essentially Dake (#1), the 2 and 3 seed will all be on the same half of the bracket. That is what Asken was railing about.
Haven't seen the Askren take yet.

Im gonna havta hear Askren out, but are you saying you would want 1-2-3-and 4 on the same side?!?

your #56 post had me confused
The way USA Wrestling has it set up is that Dake is not seeded. He gets a bye to the semis and will face whomever prevails from the #2 and #3 seed. The number 1 seed is on the opposite side and faces the #4 or #5 seed to get to the finals against the winner of Dake/#2 seed/#3seed. So essentially you have the #1(Dake) #3 and #4 all on the same half. If they called Dake the #1 seed, then everything else would fall into place.

It's actually unfair to Dake (except for not having to wrestle early matches) and an advantage to Imar (provided he is the 1 seed). It is also an advantage to the 4 and 5 seed as they only have to upset Imar to reach the finals.

The way USA Wrestling has it set up is that Dake is not seeded. He gets a bye to the semis and will face whomever prevails from the #2 and #3 seed. The number 1 seed is on the opposite side and faces the #4 or #5 seed to get to the finals against the winner of Dake/#2 seed/#3seed. So essentially you have the #1(Dake) #3 and #4 all on the same half. If they called Dake the #1 seed, then everything else would fall into place.

Gotcha, lol, so you think Askrens makes more sense?

I know Jason doesn't have a qualifier yet, is there only one more chance? Sucks he got hurt at Bill Farrell, which kept him out of Senior Nationals, which would have been the best bet likely since 5 spots go.

Curious as to how they selected the team to represent at the pan am championships. Kinda surprises me eirman wasn’t in the mix at 70 kg

I know Jason doesn't have a qualifier yet, is there only one more chance? Sucks he got hurt at Bill Farrell, which kept him out of Senior Nationals, which would have been the best bet likely since 5 spots go.
If he wins the Pan Am Championship he qualifies. If not, he will have to go to the Last Chance Qualifier at Millersville University and finish in the top 2. He is almost a shoe-in to qualify there, since only non-qualified athletes can compete. I'm having a hard time thinking who he would be challenged by.

Curious as to how they selected the team to represent at the pan am championships. Kinda surprises me eirman wasn’t in the mix at 70 kg
My guess would be that Ashnault made Final X, better result freestyle than anything JE has one so they probably asked Ashnault before they asked JE.

My guess would be that Ashnault made Final X, better result freestyle than anything JE has one so they probably asked Ashnault before they asked JE.
I just didn’t know if they had a wrestle off or they were selected by coaches, Since it is an OTT qualifier.

ADVERTISEMENT