ADVERTISEMENT

Nolf at 79 KG

I just didn’t know if they had a wrestle off or they were selected by coaches, Since it is an OTT qualifier.

It is kind of strange to me. I didn't know about having to qualify the weight and if you don't then no US man or woman is going at that weight. So a guy like Spencer Lee, whose entire goal is a gold medal in the Olympics, will have to rely on someone else to even qualify your weight. So he would obviously be having to root for Fix, now Gilman, to win and if they don't he'd be done?
I'm not sure how these guys, who are the favorites to win the trials, sit back and hope the other guy can qualify their weights. They're having to rely on other guys, instead of themselves, for a chance at their lifelong dream.
Sry for the rambling. It just seems crazy to me right now.

It is kind of strange to me. I didn't know about having to qualify the weight and if you don't then no US man or woman is going at that weight. So a guy like Spencer Lee, whose entire goal is a gold medal in the Olympics, will have to rely on someone else to even qualify your weight. So he would obviously be having to root for Fix, now Gilman, to win and if they don't he'd be done?
I'm not sure how these guys, who are the favorites to win the trials, sit back and hope the other guy can qualify their weights. They're having to rely on other guys, instead of themselves, for a chance at their lifelong dream.
There is a "last chance" weight-qualifying tourney in Bulgaria after trials (April 30), that Spencer can go to. But you have to win that tourney to qualify your country, and it's the last chance for the whole world, so it will be a very tough pool.

we'll have the team set in early april. any weight that isn't qualified by then can still be qualified at the last chance qualifier 4/30-5/3. if your weight isn't qualified, it's on you to go do it.

There is a last chance qualifier in Europe after the Trials. However, the Pan Am qualifier is by far the best chance because it is a limited field. And they just need a first or second place to qualify the weight. The main competition is the Cubans. At the last chance qualifier, it is every country that hasn't qualified. So it will be a much tougher road.
Finally, I would think Gilman, Fix, and other don't agree that Spencer Lee is the favorite. He has a lot of competition in front of him at The BJC in April!

There is a "last chance" weight qualifying tourney after trials, that Spencer can go to. But you have to win that tourney to qualify your country, and it's the last chance for the whole world, so it will be a very tough pool.

just need to finish top 2.

just need to finish top 2.
That's a different tournament--the semantics are wildly confusing. There are 2 "last chance" tourneys:
  1. Millersville, PA: March 27-28. Only US wrestlers not already qualified for trials can compete. Top 2 at each weight qualify for trials at the BJC.
  2. Sofia, Bulgaria: April 30-May 3. Any country in the world that hasn't qualified a weight for the Olympics can compete at that weight. Finalists (thanks @RoarLions1 @bigs22 ) qualify that weight so that the country can send a wrestler to the Olympics.

Last edited:
That's a different tournament--the semantics are wildly confusing. There are 2 "last chance" tourneys:
  1. Millersville, PA: March 27-28. Only US wrestlers not already qualified for trials can compete. Top 2 at each weight qualify for trials at the BJC.
  2. Sofia, Bulgaria: April 30-May 3. Any country in the world that hasn't qualified a weight for the Olympics can compete at that weight. Winners (only) qualify that weight so that the country can send a wrestler to the Olympics.

2 Qualify at both Last Chance events.

“3rd phase: 2020 World Qualification Tournament
Athletes who qualified quota places for their NOC at the 2019 Senior World Championships and the 2020 Continental Qualification tournaments will not have the right to take part in this 3rd qualification phase. The NOCs/NFs will not be able to send other athletes in the weight categories in which they have already qualified a quota place.
All the other NOCs/NFs of all the continents may participate in this 3rd phase.
The two (2) highest placed athletes in each of the 18 Olympic weight categories will qualify one (1) quota place each for their NOC for the Olympic Games Tokyo 2020.

https://unitedworldwrestling.org/sites/default/files/2019-08/190729_qualification_system_final.pdf

6 from Worlds last year. 2 apiece for Europe, Asian, Pan-Am, and Oceania/Africa Championships. And finally 2 at the last chance for brackets of 16.

You might be remembering four years ago. They had 2 Last Chance tournaments, so you had to win one to qualify.

Reactions: psumacw
There is a "last chance" weight-qualifying tourney in Bulgaria after trials (April 30), that Spencer can go to. But you have to win that tourney to qualify your country, and it's the last chance for the whole world, so it will be a very tough pool.
By the time it gets to the Sofia, Bulgaria Last-Chance-Qualifier, 14 countries will already have qualified at each weight. Just don't see it as a very tough pool. If USA Men's Freestyle can't qualify weights (and I'm talking Women's Freestyle too) in the two remaining opportunities, it would be disappointing. Greco is a different animal, unlikely all weights get qualified.

Oh, and two qualify at each weight in Bulgaria.

Reactions: nerfstate
By the time it gets to the Sofia, Bulgaria Last-Chance-Qualifier, 14 countries will already have qualified at each weight. Just don't see it as a very tough pool. If USA Men's Freestyle can't qualify weights (and I'm talking Women's Freestyle too) in the two remaining opportunities, it would be disappointing. Greco is a different animal, unlikely all weights get qualified.

Oh, and two qualify at each weight in Bulgaria.
Fair enough. Still, some potential land mines I’m sure. Would love to qualify as many weights as possible at PanAms....

Reactions: RoarLions1
only 3 other guys in nolf's bracket. i assume they'll run it as a round robin rather than a 4 man bracket.

ringer only has one opponent, a costa rican guy, and i assume they'll go best of 3 to decide that.

Reactions: diggerpup
only 3 other guys in nolf's bracket. i assume they'll run it as a round robin rather than a 4 man bracket.

ringer only has one opponent, a costa rican guy, and i assume they'll go best of 3 to decide that.
Interesting that Tobier (65kg) and Torreblanca (86kg) for Cuba are registered for both Pan Am Chamionships as well as the Pan Am Olympic qualifier.

Nolf wrestles tomorrow in Canada. He only has two other guys in his bracket. One from Mexico and one from Canada. Beat those two and he qualifies for the Olympic trials in the US. Obviously, he would need to drop back to 74 KG and go up against a group of hammers: IMAR, Dake, JB, and others

Reactions: diggerpup

Why do you think they’ll go round-robin and best of three? I don’t believe that will be the case.

Why do you think they’ll go round-robin and best of three? I don’t believe that will be the case.
Ringer has dropped down to 86 (was going 92), and gets a decent bracket, including Torreblanca. Jason is doing a round robin:

There is a last chance qualifier in Europe after the Trials. However, the Pan Am qualifier is by far the best chance because it is a limited field. And they just need a first or second place to qualify the weight. The main competition is the Cubans. At the last chance qualifier, it is every country that hasn't qualified. So it will be a much tougher road.
Finally, I would think Gilman, Fix, and other don't agree that Spencer Lee is the favorite. He has a lot of competition in front of him at The BJC in April!
Thanks fellas for the answers. I was just using Spencer as an example since his weight isn't qualified yet. I'm sure Gilman and Fix don't think Spencer is the favorite. But if ya read anything on hr they seem to think Spencer dominates Gilman daily lol.

Wins and yes he is in. Loses and it depends on the other round robin match and how they break tie breakers, but with a tech win it looks good.

79kg bracket shows the CAN wrestler beat the MEX wrestler earlier 6-6.

And Nolf tech’d CAN, 10-0.

I know the transitive property can get me I trouble, but .....

6:13pm est

Track shows they’re at Match #149.
Nolf match #155.
Only running a single mat.

ADVERTISEMENT