ADVERTISEMENT

Official PSU - Iowa Game Thread

In some part yes it is hard to get thrown into a big game in a hostile environment. But Roberson has practiced at PSU for 3 years. His passing is atrocious and blaming even Strange is a stretch as his "drops" were balls that only Dotson could make routinely. Roberson's long throws were not in the same zip code as his targeted receiver. The Oklahoma backup QB, younger than Roberson, came in and made some plays. I feel bad for Roberson, but worse for the rest of the team who played well enough to win by 3 TD's.

And if Clifford is out for multiple games I hope that Roberson is on a short leash and that if he doesn't play well CJF goes to Veilleux. This is big boy football.

Roberson had a very bad game but it was still not as bad as Seneca vs. Miami. That one stands alone for all time.

Reactions: Ski and GregInPitt
In some part yes it is hard to get thrown into a big game in a hostile environment. But Roberson has practiced at PSU for 3 years. His passing is atrocious and blaming even Strange is a stretch as his "drops" were balls that only Dotson could make routinely. Roberson's long throws were not in the same zip code as his targeted receiver. The Oklahoma backup QB, younger than Roberson, came in and made some plays. I feel bad for Roberson, but worse for the rest of the team who played well enough to win by 3 TD's.

And if Clifford is out for multiple games I hope that Roberson is on a short leash and that if he doesn't play well CJF goes to Veilleux. This is big boy football.
That Young OU QB that was making plays was a BIG Swing and MISS for Franklin as well.

Meaningful snap?

Practice is not meaningful.

3 years of practice and meetings and film study, and.....

The backup Oklahoma QB had how many "meaningful snaps" before he won the game for them today against likely a better team than Iowa.

Exactly. He put all of eggs in the “Clifford basket” and it blew up in his face big time today. Need depth at all positions, especially QB.

Reactions: psu00
If I hear one excuse from Franklin….other than we as coaches did not do our job I’m done. No excuse for that type of performance after Clifford went down. We go hurry up on offense and throw our gassed D right back out in the field. We still can’t run the ball for sh!t, we do t let our backup QB throw the ball in blowouts so he might be ready if needed. This one is squarely on the coaches.
Oh please be done, please. And your last sentence is said by many posters after every single loss.

Reactions: BW Lion
If Iowa is really 3rd in the country(they shouldn't be) and penn state loses by 3 to them on the road with their backup qb in for most of the game, I think you can actually be proud of your team guys, its okay you know. We weren't beating Alabama in the championship this year, but remember, we were 0-5 at this point last year. This team is improving massiveley and fought hard. Is my positivity here totally misplaced?

If Iowa is really 3rd in the country(they shouldn't be) and penn state loses by 3 to them on the road with their backup qb in for most of the game, I think you can actually be proud of your team guys, its okay you know. We weren't beating Alabama in the championship this year, but remember, we were 0-5 at this point last year. This team is improving massiveley and fought hard. Is my positivity here totally misplaced?
And if we were an SEC team or Clemson and we lost by three on the road to the number three team, we would stay in the top five….but that won’t happen.

Can blame Robeson but when the backup gets no meaningful snaps this is bound to happen. This loss lies at the feet of the coaching staff.
Meaningful snaps?

Practice is not meaningful.

3 years of practice and meetings and film study, and.....

The backup Oklahoma QB had how many "meaningful snaps" before he won the game for them today against likely a better team than Iowa.

It’s admirable, but not much solace. Who knows if they could beat Bama? These are all just 20 year old kids, strange things happen. Was PSU supposed to beat Miami in the 87 Fiesta Bowl? If you just get there, then you have a shot. But the shitty thing is, looks like for yet another year, we ain’t getting there.

I agree. Roberson is third year and should be better than that. Blame Franklin for QB recruiting but Robersons performance was on him

It’s admirable, but not much solace. Who knows if they could beat Bama? These are all just 20 year old kids, strange things happen. Was PSU supposed to beat Miami in the 87 Fiesta Bowl? If you just get there, then you have a shot. But the shitty thing is, looks like for yet another year, we ain’t getting there.
Totally, but after 0-5 last year, im happy with the direction of this team, and help is coming in the backfield. Defense has been so much improved its a joke.

And if that’s all they saw in three years we needed a stop gap. Not acceptable.

Exactly. He put all of eggs in the “Clifford basket” and it blew up in his face big time today. Need depth
Portal qbs are portal qbs because they want to start.
Tough to get a quality portal transfer when they know Clifford is going to start. Real problem is the swings and misses in the Roberson Johnson Bowins classes.

Reactions: Parkland Fan
In all fairness, a decent running game should have won this for us. Feel bad for TR since he clearly wasn’t give the the reps.
I agree that TR should have received more meaningful PT by now. I don't understand that but I assume he's had plenty of reps in practice.

I'm a little disappointed that Yurcich wasn't more creative. I mentioned a lateral to Dotson and forward pass to a TE. Maybe some toss sweeps.

Reactions: psualt
Let's be honest, after Clifford went down, we were just watching a snoozefest between two mediocre teams. That misdirection play was the entire game. That game was not #3 vs. #4, I don't care what the rankings said
We should have run a misdirection play. Roberson was a dead duck sitting in the pocket. Of course there's no guarantee that Roberson could have completed a misdirection pass.

I agree. Roberson is third year and should be better than that. Blame Franklin for QB recruiting but Robersons performance was on him
I just hope that Yurcich stays at PSU long enough to develop a couple of QB's. Roberson seems like a great kid, but he may not have the talent that Yurcich values. No reason to believe any 1st year QB, such as Veileux, next to the 2nd coming of Peyton Manning could come in and unseat a 3rd year QB for the back up spot behind Clifford. But I'm hoping Veileux gets a chance to show what he has if Clifford is out long term, even if it's the 2nd half at oh-high-ya, unless Roberson does a 180 with his throwing accuracy.

Because it is HIS fault for not giving the back up QB who has been in the program any meaningful snaps for the 3 years he has been in the program. Not rocket science, dude.
Where should Roberson receive “meaningful” snaps this year? Last year doesn’t count, he was third string and Levis was the backup. So which game? Tight games against Auburn or Wisconsin? Should he have been rotating with Clifford during the other games? What team does that? Doesn’t take a genius to say you play your best option to win games.

Because it is HIS fault for not giving the back up QB who has been in the program any meaningful snaps for the 3 years he has been in the program. Not rocket science, dude.
And how is he going to do that? Please tell me what coach plays their backup (or third string QB like Roberson was prior to this year) during close games. I’m anxious to hear this one. I’ve watched most of Kentucky’s games this year….guess how many snaps Levis’s backup has gotten? None.

Reactions: wilbury
So tell us your plan for giving Roberson meaningful snaps, when the last 2 seasons Levis has been the backup and even Levis didn't get to throw many passes that counted even with Clifford being benched. You would have bypassed Levis and given Roberson the game snaps? I don't believe it. You're just looking for something to gripe about.

MY is the offensive coordinator and it's his job to get the QB's ready AND to select who plays in various situations.
Not when the Head Coach tells you otherwise. Mike Y isn't the boss of this team...he simply follows directives.

The entire QB roster, good or bad, is on Franklin.

And if Clifford is out for multiple games I hope that Roberson is on a short leash and that if he doesn't play well CJF goes to Veilleux. This is big boy football and the team needs to find out if the next starting QB is actually on this year's roster.
Keep calling for the backups you ASSWADS.

I agree that TR should have received more meaningful PT by now. I don't understand that but I assume he's had plenty of reps in practice.

I'm a little disappointed that Yurcich wasn't more creative. I mentioned a lateral to Dotson and forward pass to a TE. Maybe some toss sweeps.
With all due respect, receivers were open...the passes were not on target...complaints about penalties are justified, but does that happen with Clifford? Who knows, but somehow I doubt it. Otherwise, good passes win the game; it seems everyone enjoys attempting to make something simple sound complicated. 🤷‍♂️

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT