ADVERTISEMENT

Official PSU - Memphis Cotton Bowl Game Thread

To say that the coaching is less than decent is a major hyperbolic excess, over emotional or otherwise.
I have no idea how good they are, but certainly have to believe being 11-2 and with 42 wins over 4 seasons, they are likely appreciably better than decent.
Certainly you have to question our defensive secondary and safety coaching. It is sub-par.
I had watched Memphis several times this year and was well aware that they are a great offensive team and very efficient in the pass game. They were a legitimate 12-1 coming into this game. Without Micah Parsons unbelievable game this might have been a "L". Concerned about the DL & DE positions for next season as PSU continues to struggle with the pass rush.

Reactions: OhioLion
Roll call how many disappointed that PSU won?
I dont think..I know that all of us on here live and die with this great program...it is pathetic (my daughter and wife say) that we scream , cry and whine about this team we love...what unites all of us is a burning passion to be playing in the 2 games after ours today and take the last step in our growth from the pathetic sanctions given to us, so we can all give a big middle finger to the NCAA and any idiot who tried to cripple us...

11-2 imagine what these kids could do with some decent coaching.
Some of you still living in the what...60s 70s maybe even the 80s. The game is different now. Offenses are more complex and efficient. Also, because the skill players are doing this stuff in HS too, skill players are are advanced coming into the collegiate level. Defense may never catch up!

Reactions: marshall23
Certainly you have to question our defensive secondary and safety coaching. It is sub-par.
I had watched Memphis several times this year and was well aware that they are a great offensive team and very efficient in the pass game. They were a legitimate 12-1 coming into this game. Without Micah Parsons unbelievable game this might have been a "L". Concerned about the DL & DE positions for next season as PSU continues to struggle with the pass rush.
We also need a sure handed WR we can depend on.
I don’t care about shuttle times or 40 times
I want a sure handed go to guy

The defensive criticisms are all about the scheme. We emphasize stopping the run and rushing the passer. When we face a really good passing team that makes quick throws we will always be exposed.

I dont think..I know that all of us on here live and die with this great program...it is pathetic (my daughter and wife say) that we scream , cry and whine about this team we love...what unites all of us is a burning passion to be playing in the 2 games after ours today and take the last step in our growth from the pathetic sanctions given to us, so we can all give a big middle finger to the NCAA and any idiot who tried to cripple us...
RL,
Well stated and I 100% agree with one amendment: “in addition to the NCAA we also give it to the B1G.”

Reactions: RLSalty
1st downs 27-25 Memphis
Total yards 542-529 Memphis
Possession 32:42-27:18 Memphis

Difference in the game was the sack/pick 6. Also the INT near the goal line.
I’d say forcing them to kick FG’s as well. Hey, the D didn’t look great, but what if some of those possessions ended up as TD’s for Memphis?

Reactions: paws1957
We saw some of the same issues we saw all season : holes in the secondary, some assignment confusion on defense, limited options at WR, inconsistent OL pass protection, clock management.
Fortunately, we settled on running the football and had enough great players making great plays that decided the outcome.

Reactions: canuckhal
Roll call how many disappointed that PSU won?

Realistically, game was about as expected. Memphis is no slouch. Strong DL, accurate QB and good identify on offense. Their ST were tremendous. They got jobbed by refs in only loss. This was like playing one of these recent UCF teams. No big conference opponent wants to play them bc no upside to the win. It is expected bc of perceived talent differences.

Last edited:
The defensive criticisms are all about the scheme. We emphasize stopping the run and rushing the passer. When we face a really good passing team that makes quick throws we will always be exposed.
And when you don't adjust to the quick passing attack, you will give up a ton of yards and perhaps lose the game. Especially if your team aren't sure tacklers.

To say that the coaching is less than decent is a major hyperbolic excess, over emotional or otherwise.
I have no idea how good they are, but certainly have to believe being 11-2 and with 42 wins over 4 seasons, they are likely appreciably better than decent.
.......but they get along really well.

I'm happy with the work, but disappointed with how they played on D and how poor the passing attack was.
In all seriousness I tend to agree. IMO, Clifford is still not 100%.
Ps I was at the game and they had Clifford on the jumbo...he seemed to be hurting.

Reactions: Nittany_93
Difference in the game was Parsons. That’s what elite players can do. We need more. Preferably in the pass game

I'm with you if olinemen are included in your "pass game" category. We know we don't have enough playmakers at WR. But if Clifford would have had even average protection today the passing game would have made a number of additional plays. Teams can't cover Hamler and Freiermuth for more than a couple seconds but Clifford didn't even have a couple seconds on more than half of the passing play called.

Other than Menet and Walker, we are not fielding elite talent olinemen. CJF has recruited some good numbers on the OL for 2020, but I'm hoping he can sign a class of top 150 overall linemen for 2021.

I couldn't understand all the pass play calls early in the game. And then even in the 3rd quarter after JB and the rest of the backs had plenty of daylight and all the splash runs up till that point.

But a nice win over a good team. Secondary was exposed as usual, which is the other area we need to see improvement in going forward....

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT