ADVERTISEMENT

Wrestling Officially Official 2022 Big Ten Tournament Thread

149: B. Bartlett (BB) vs M. Blockhus (MB)

BB noticeable smaller. (Sorry; had to say it.). Easily fights off early shot by MB. Ear to ear. MB with a deep shot to headlock that BB somehow successfully fought out of without giving up any points. Have to think BB has to go on offense to avoid a stall call. Late shot from MB had BB scrambling but again avoids TD. 0-0 after one. No stall calls; no offense from BB.

MB chooses bottom and is out in 9 secs. 1-0 MB. BB really needs to do something offensive. Takes a bit of a shot as I type that; easily defended by MB. BB stuffs another MB shot. 1-0 MB after two. No stall calls.

BB chooses bottom. Out in 7 secs. 1-1. BB finally takes a real shot and quickly finishes. 3-1 BB 1:34 to wrestle. Escape MB. 3-2 BB. BB stuffs a MB Shot. 1 min to go. BB shoots, gets out of position but again survives. MB in deep on a single. Has BB leg up high in air. BB somehow stalemates it. Freaking Houdini out there. MB late shot… no call but looked like two. Challenge. Checking the video. I won’t be surprised if they award two. No TD. BB wins 3-2. If the roles were reversed, we’d be pissed. Big time.

Bartlett caught a break there probably. Too close to call really. He should never have put himself in that situation in the first place. Survive and advance for him! I'll take it!

Geez, that was close; easily could have been a TD for Blockhaus. Bartlett kind of fell asleep with 10 seconds left in the match. Very fortunate for PSU to get the benefit of that non-call.

I mean I like that he was willing to engage late, but the only way he loses that match is getting taken down. He should have put on his dancing shoes and made like Jesse Delgado for the last 10 seconds. Discretion is the better part of valor.

Hate to say it, but Beau Bartlett from 2 years ago beats Beau Bartlett today
It just feels like he has no cohesive plan when he's on the mat. As a result, he does very little for 2.5 periods hoping to win close late.

they really need to revisit reaction time this offseason because it's pretty ridiculous that nobody seems to apply it consistently. i have no problem with a rule that says that isn't a takedown. in fact, i don't think it should be. but that is the ONE position where "no reaction time" is supposed to apply. blockhus had established rear standing, bartlett rolled and his head clearly hits the mat with 1 second on the clock. unless the clock they're using is different, that should be a takedown and not a difficult call to make on replay. supporting point hits, immediate two. that's how it's supposed to be. just frustrating to see officials not follow their own rules.

good win for bartlett.

Hate to say it, but Beau Bartlett from 2 years ago beats Beau Bartlett today
This is my problem with him. What did he change? It's really clear that he's not as good as he was for some reason. He has physical tools, but his wrestling brain seems to have changed.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT