ADVERTISEMENT

PA Class AAA Finals Thread

Exactly, it's the same deal as Teasdale's loss to Decatur
Boy DeSantis does look huge relative to Lee. Also gotta say that Lee did not look at all like he was "wrestling on one leg" in those scrambles. DeSantis looks like he just whooped him in the 3rd.

DeSanto is probably walking around at about a buck forty. Like Dayton Fix. :D

Reactions: diggerpup
Lee's gas tank seemed like a bigger issue than his knee. He looked totally gassed in the second and third periods. He was taking his good old time getting back to the center of the mat. In today's day and age I highly doubt any adult would let a kid step on the mat with a torn ACL. Was he injured? Definitely, but I doubt he had a torn ACL. He would barely be able to walk with a torn ACL let alone wrestle a match.

In all fairness, how many of those cheering knew he had a torn acl?

The people cheering had to do with Austin DeSanto and his effort (and character - he lost to Lee last year in the finals, but rather than try to avoid him @32, he came back down to 26 just so he could rematch with Lee! That takes guts and character.). The people's cheering had zippity-do-dah-day to do with Lee or his knee and to claim otherwise - that people cheering for DeSanto is classless - is just plain silly.

The people cheering had to do with Austin DeSanto and his effort (and character - he lost to Lee last year in the finals, but rather than try to avoid him @32, he came back down to 26 just so he could rematch with Lee! That takes guts and character.). The people's cheering had zippity-do-dah-day to do with Lee or his knee and to claim otherwise - that people cheering for DeSanto is classless - is just plain silly.

This is true. It was basically a home match for DeSanto. That does NOT take away from his huge win, nor does Spencers' injury. BOTH kids deserve credit.

Lee's gas tank seemed like a bigger issue than his knee. He looked totally gassed in the second and third periods. He was taking his good old time getting back to the center of the mat. In today's day and age I highly doubt any adult would let a kid step on the mat with a torn ACL. Was he injured? Definitely, but I doubt he had a torn ACL. He would barely be able to walk with a torn ACL let alone wrestle a match.
Agreed. The injury may have taken away some mat time/conditioning. However, from the few seconds I saw, he actually used it as his lead leg to stand. Enough of this.... back to the play by play..... El Jefe

As the day wore on learning of Spencers knee situation i grew weary. You probably saw that in my posts. I thought it would be a tough match and it was. Congrats to Desanto. He will have a great story to tell to his grandchildren.

Wish i could take some of Spencers pain away tonight. I cant even imagine.
Oh come on now...the kid lost a wrestling match for Christs sake. Were you crying when you posted that.l? We get it, his dreams were dashed....get all that but damn do people take sports way too seriously. One day he's going to be a Senior level world and Olympic Champion, unless people are idiots they won't even care that he lost a high school match. Sorry if it bothers you he may no longer go down as THE greatest hs wrestler of all time in our monthly thread about it. Again, I'm saying who cares!

And before you go off, did you cry when he killed Desantos dream? Did you make a heartfelt post because he was embarrassed? No? Then end the drama please...

Agreed. The injury may have taken away some mat time/conditioning. However, from the few seconds I saw, he actually used it as his lead leg to stand. Enough of this.... back to the play by play..... El Jefe
Sorry, no PBP, The Boss doesn't want to watch and banished me to the basement. Phone only for me tonight.

Reactions: a_mshaffer
Has to be the biggest upset in PIAA history, wow, just wow! DeSanto is signed to Drxel but I'd bet there are lot of coaches that would love to have him after that showing. Incredible guts and determination to go down and defeat Lee in a real life vision quest.

No, not as big as Henry Green over Jimmy Carr who would win the Olympic Trials a few months later at the age of 16 between his SO and JR years of high school. The way the match was called (no stalling on Green and ran away from Carr all match). Final was 8-7 but Green did a lot of stalling in neutral to limit the scoring as much as possible (Carr was really focusing on Freestyle exclusively already at this point as evidenced by making the US Olympic Team a few months later).

Reactions: Hartzie
Guys this is terrible...We want Teasdale and he is pissed because people are cheering for a kid that beat Spencer on a torn ACL....Lets not push Teasdale away from us...Everyone in the world already knows Spencer tech falls this kid or anyone else in the bracket without a torn ACL...Spencer thought he could win his 4th on 1 leg !!!! GIVE THE KID CREDIT EVERYONE AND PLEASE SAY SORRY WE DIDN'T KNOW TO GAVIN !!!!

This is one of the worst posts I've seen on this board, by anyone, ever.

Looks like Nebraska got a good one in Labriola. He moves well and is on the attack.

No, not as big as Henry Green over Jimmy Carr who would win the Olympic Trials a few months later at the age of 16 between his SO and JR years of high school. The way the match was called (no stalling on Green and ran away from Carr all match). Final was 8-7 but Green did a lot of stalling in neutral to limit the scoring as much as possible (Carr was really focusing on Freestyle exclusively already at this point as evidenced by making the US Olympic Team a few months later).

I don't know. Carr/Green was regionals, wasn't it? So DeSanto gets an extra level of due. Plus Lee hadn't lost before in 4 years of HS and had teched DeSanto last year.

I don't know if Kepp/Carr in the state finals in 1973 with Carr on roller skates the entire third period would have been as big as this one if Kepp had been able to win.

Gotta call DeSanto's win as the biggest upset ever in the PIAA.

Reactions: Hartzie
Why do you continue with the bull$hit? Were you even there? Henry Green wrestled his ass off that night.i

170: Mikey Labriola (BECCA) vs. Luke McGonigal (Clearfield)

Labriola is so good. McGonigal has only 1 loss on the year.

Per 1
Thow bye by Labriola for a TD and a quick esc, 2-1. OOB with 1:14 left. McG shoots in, blocked, and then Labriola with a counter for the TD, 4-1. He cuts him, 4-2. Snap down to an ankle pick by Labriola, 6-2, and a cut to OOB, 6-3 at 33 sec. Labriola cut have been dinged because he shoved McG OOB when he cut him. McG with a double shot, blocked, and OOB at 12 sec. Stall warning on McG. Labriola reaches for a single, then tries a duck under, but nothing, and time runs out

Per 2
Labriola takes down, and is out in 2 sec, 7-3. Labriola with a duck attempt, then hits a counter off a McG shot for a TD, 9-3. Labriola shoves McG OOB again. Injury time for McG as he got poked in the eye. Ref should be having a hard talk with Labriola about the shoving. Restart with 1:23. McG in on a low single and he fights off a whizzer for the TD, 9-6. Labriola with an esc, and a quick TD, 12-6. Then he cuts McG, 12-7. OOB with 29 sec. McG with a shot from centerfield and Labriola counters for a TD, 14-7. End

Per 3
McG takes bottom. McG works up, and he's out in 6 sec, 14-8. Snap down by Labriola, nothing. OOB with 1:34. Stall warning on McG is a point for Labriola, 15-8. TD to back but only 1 swipe, so it's 17-8, and then a cut, 17-9. OOB with 52 sec. McG tries something but doesn't come close. Labriola on a counter duck, nothing. End

Labriola repeats as State Champion. He will be a force at Nebraska.

Reactions: mn78psu83
I don't know. Carr/Green was regionals, wasn't it? So DeSanto gets an extra level of due. Plus Lee hadn't lost before in 4 years of HS and had teched DeSanto last year.

I don't know if Kepp/Carr in the state finals in 1973 with Carr on roller skates the entire third period would have been as big as this one if Kepp had been able to win.

Gotta call DeSanto's win as the biggest upset ever in the PIAA.
It was regionals not states. Franklin is FOS on this one.

PBP phone style: McGonigal is game. The Cobra is a monster.
yea, watching the stick men on track.... His mother has been posting the matches on facebook shortly after his matches. Not the best view but better than none. Will be interesting what he does next year.

McGonigal is a terrific wrestler and Labriola just took him apart. Labriola is going to be a force in the Big Ten, but I wonder where they start him at? I'm guessing they have him try to pull to 165?

As far as I'm concerned, Lee could have lost every match since he commited to Iowa. But boy, that last takedown looked to me like it was after time ran out.

I grew up in the school district (Daniel Boone) that borders Exeter. We were fierce rivals, but I'm thrilled for the Exeter fans tonight.

Reactions: James Toney
Will Labriola face Romero, who tonight won his 4th state title, in the Pittsburgh Classic? Romero ended up with a 202-3 career record

As the day wore on learning of Spencers knee situation i grew weary. You probably saw that in my posts. I thought it would be a tough match and it was. Congrats to Desanto. He will have a great story to tell to his grandchildren.

Wish i could take some of Spencers pain away tonight. I cant even imagine.

You grew tired as the day wore on? Not sure how that is relevant, but okay. :confused:

Reactions: johnstownsteel
and finally, whether Lee has an ACL, or not, is not relevant to me: The young man was wrestling VERY hurt, and it took guts to go out there in the first place. While all of that is true, DeSanto winning was not a fluke, as DeSanto showed equal guts to go down just to meet him, turning down what would have been an almost certain championship at 132. There wasn't anyone on earth that gave him a shot in this match, other than himself and his coaches. So, credit to Spencer, who will be back next year(provided it's not an ACL, and then he'll be back after a redshirt year), credit to Austin, who has improved ten fold from last year, and credit to Gavin, for sticking up for his friend and showing his love, albeit using the wrong language, to do so.

Nothing but love for all three kids.

But "Jody" can go pound sand.
I am with you about pad my pockets Jody....

Reactions: 21Guns
182: Nino Bonaccorsi (Bethel Park) vs. Trais Stefanik (Nazareth)

Per 1
Missed the beginning. Stafanik shoots, blocked. Bona shoots from center field, blocked. OOB at 45 sec. End

Per 2
Stefanik takes bottom. he works up and is out at 1:51 as they go OOB, 0-1. Bona is in, Stefanik sprawls, and they go OOB at 1:29. Bona in on a single but Stefanik sprawls, and OOB at 1:04. Stefanik shoots, Bona gets in deep on a single on a counter, and gets the TD, 2-1. OOB at 41 sec. Bad shot by Stefanik. Stefanik tries a switch but they are OOB with 23 left. Stefanik does a standing granby with 8 sec to get the esc, 2-2. Don't see that too often from a big guy.

Per 3
Bona in a ball to start, and Stefanik does a suck back but Bona gets the esc, 3-2. OOB with 1:15. OOB with 57 sec. Bona shoots, nothing. OOB with 37 sec left. Bona backing up and gets hit with stalling. Stefanik in on a single and gets the TD, 3-4, with 20 sec left. OOB with 8 sec. Bona trying everything but he can't get out.

Stefanik with the win, and Bonaccorsi with his 1st loss

Reactions: mn78psu83
McGonigal is a terrific wrestler and Labriola just took him apart. Labriola is going to be a force in the Big Ten, but I wonder where they start him at? I'm guessing they have him try to pull to 165?
I heard they want him at 165# and Breske at 174#

This is all about DeSanto taking the challenge and winning.

And should not be about Lee losing.

This amazing upset is an amazing accomplishment and rightfully should be celebrated.
He didn't even announce till he knew Spencer had an Torn ACL...Oh well if Spencer does ever lose in Pa he better get used to it....lol

Austin DeSanto was like 50-0 last year when he lost to Lee in the finals at 126 (believe he was only a SO as well). What was his record this year? He's only a JR, right? Who is he rumored to be favoring - is PSU in the mix?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT