ADVERTISEMENT

Football Penn State defeats USC 33-30 in overtime!

You all can thank me for making my prediction in the prediction thread! ;) Penn State would've lost otherwise, y'know!

Seriously, I am impressed. That last scoring drive, to tie it up - reminded me of The Drive against Illinois that Kerry Collins engineered. This team is something special.

Reactions: bono47
This game will hinge on the effectiveness of the Penn State secondary. I think they can be picked apart much like USC just got picked apart. Someone needs to make a big play.

^^^^^
For all of the great play by Warren today, the game nevertheless ended up hinging on Moss's overthrow, yielding an interception. That gets completed and USC probably gets a game winning field goal during regulation.

Reactions: summitlion1
The way we played today and won is a small miracle
That's the most positive comment you have ever made. How big of a miracle is that?

One of the great things about this game is that Texas OU was a stinker. So the nation turned to our game.

LdN
Ratings should be 2nd best behind OSU vs Oregon I would expect.

We'll see what kinds of fans we have on this board ...

Will they focus on all the things that went wrong ... or will they focus on this squad coming back from a decent-sized halftime deficit, fighting back even after that, converting two 4th and longs when they absolutely had to, and then having our KICKER come through to win a tough one in OT?

This is the type of win we needed. We have not really had a come from behind kind of team against an opponent with a pulse since Trace/Saquon.

We can also stop with the "it's impossible to travel east/west or west/east" and win
The better team should still win those games--as we did.

Unlike some officiating crews, this group lets them play.

Agree with that - there was a ton on non-calls both ways. Think about if Tyler Warren doesn't make a circus-catch on our first TD - they didn't call a penalty there???? That was beyond blatant DPI (as the CBS announcer said to him when they were doing a postgame interview with him) - the USC defender made no effort whatsoever to play the ball and attempted to drag Warren down well before ball got there! They called very little holding on USC's OL and they were mugging PSU defenders (especially Carter) all game long - outright tackling people, often from behind. On the 3rd Down play in OT, Moss had to scramble as a PSU rusher had him dead to rights... the PSU defender is held from behind as Moss runs away - no flag. It was blatant holding, but no flag.

Again, I agree with you that PSU got away with some contact with no flag, but the officiating was not one-sided as Danielson kept trying to claim. Danielson simply chose to only say something when PSU benefitted from the no call, but the reality is that USC got away with as much, or more, uncalled penalties. How about the uncalled hands-to-the-face on USC's last TD play? Replay clearly shows USC's LT grabbing, and holding onto, the PSU rusher's facemask as he pushes his head up and all the way back while blocking the edge....

The CBS Crew was terribly one-sided in their continual claims that PSU was benefiting from the Officiating - it wasn't true, at all.

Agree with that - there was a ton on non-calls both ways. Think about if Tyler Warren doesn't make a circus-catch on our first TD - they didn't call a penalty there???? That was beyond blatant DPI (as the CBS announcer said to him when they were doing a postgame interview with him) - the USC defender made no effort whatsoever to play the ball and attempted to drag Warren down well before ball got there! They called very little holding on USC's OL and they were mugging PSU defenders (especially Carter) all game long - outright tackling people, often from behind. On the 3rd Down play in OT, Moss had to scramble as a PSU rusher had him dead to rights... the PSU defender is held from behind as Moss runs away - no flag. It was blatant holding, but no flag.

Again, I agree with you that PSU got away with some contact with no flag, but the officiating was not one-sided as Danielson kept trying to claim. Danielson simply chose to only say something when PSU benefitted from the no call, but the reality is that USC got away with as much, or more, uncalled penalties. How about the uncalled hands-to-the-face on USC's last TD play? Replay clearly shows USC's LT grabbing, and holding onto, the PSU rusher's facemask as he pushes his head up and all the way back while blocking the edge....

The CBS Crew was terribly one-sided in their continual claims that PSU was benefiting from the Officiating - it wasn't true, at all.
Yes they were. We are playing in the city of elites, just like them.

Why exactly should we have beat them? Is it too difficult to just enjoy a win?
I agree. This wasn't Georgia, Texas, or Alabama, but it was a team with much more talent than any we've played this season by a lot. This was definitely a step in the right direction. It was also an away game, which should count for something as well, in my opinion.

I agree. This wasn't Georgia, Texas, or Alabama, but it was a team with much more talent than any we've played this season by a lot. This was definitely a step in the right direction. It was also an away game, which should count for something as well, in my opinion.
I agree with the away game--I don't think that's a very good team--rooting for them to win out though now--or just to beat ND
Regardless of how good they are or aren't--the key is how we battled even down 14. That's a step--especially on the road.

^^^^^
For all of the great play by Warren today, the game nevertheless ended up hinging on Moss's overthrow, yielding an interception. That gets completed and USC probably gets a game winning field goal during regulation.
Wet played a horrible first half. Second half e we win 27 - 10. All the stats favor PSU.

One at a time. This one is in the books. A win at Wisky makes the OSU game the game of the year. At home.

I agree with the away game--I don't think that's a very good team--rooting for them to win out though now--or just to beat ND
Regardless of how good they are or aren't--the key is how we battled even down 14. That's a step--especially on the road.
I was just referring to the talent aspect and the quality of recruits they get, not necessarily how they perform as a team. Their speed can only help prepare us for when we play the Buckeyes. Yes, I'd like to see them win out as well.

Reactions: lazydave841
The most telling part of the game is how Drew responded to adversity. Last year, he buckled under. This time, he got pissed and led like a warrior. Big step forward.

It wasn't just the throws or runs he made ... it was how he ACTED ... he was in control out there. Yeah, he forced some throws earlier, made a couple other bad throws under pressure that he wishes he had back ... and when we were down early on the road against a "brand name" team ... but he fought back and he was out there at the end, fully in control, leading the squad. You could tell he knew what needed to be done.

That's one of the main reasons I hate the liberal use of Warren/Pribula at QB ... I want Allar out there getting those reps in those situations, and continuing to take the reins of the team when we need him.

That was epic! How many times have they come from behind down 14 at half-time on the road? Great to see. Keeps the momentum rolling.
Right. We win the second half and overtime 27-10. In fact, that was my pregame prediction

The better team usually finds a way to win
Isn't always pretty and never perfect but Franklin finds a way to beat teams he should more than just about anyone right now.
I must confess that I turned the game off my TV in the 1st hlf and just followed it on ESPN game tracker. I was getting too upset and didn't want to start yelling at the TV. So glad for the team to fight back in the 2nd half with adjustments. Did see lots of replays. They deserved this hard owned road victory. How great was it for the Ryan B to nail that field goal! So glad the coaches made that change.
There cannot be a better TE in college football than Tyler Warren.
Allar might have thrown 3 INTs but from what I saw and read he was a gamer and shook them off. He has really matured.

Now that some of us have calmed down somewhat....... those two pass interference calls that the refs didn't call in OT sure loom large!!!!!!!!
:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p

Were these actually B10 Refs???? Maybe PSU has finally gotten out of the Ref Bias Basement !!!!!!!!!!!

Greg, I mentioned this at the beginning of the game. The crew chief is a guy from the East...not Big-10. Whenever I see him out there, I breathe a sigh of relief.

All I ask for is an evenly officiating game...and we got it today. Amazing how often the quality of simply fair works to our favor.

Allar might have thrown 3 INTs but from what I saw and read he was a gamer and shook them off. He has really matured.
And I love that he's no longer terrified to throw a pick because all elite QB make mistakes because they trust their arm too much
Now he just has to learn more about when to take those chances and not. The second pick was the only problematic one.

Reactions: lazydave841
I must confess that I turned the game off my TV in the 1st hlf and just followed it on ESPN game tracker. I was getting too upset and didn't want to start yelling at the TV. So glad for the team to fight back in the 2nd half with adjustments. Did see lots of replays. They deserved this hard owned road victory. How great was it for the Ryan B to nail that field goal! So glad the coaches made that change.
There cannot be a better TE in college football than Tyler Warren.
Great growth opportunity for him. Don’t like the INTs but he learned to be aggressive and carry the team when needed.

Now that some of us have calmed down somewhat....... those two pass interference calls that the refs didn't call in OT sure loom large!!!!!!!!
:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p

Were these actually B10 Refs???? Maybe PSU has finally gotten out of the Ref Bias Basement !!!!!!!!!!!
Who calmed down? 8:09 and I am still amped.

Reactions: Jerry
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT