ADVERTISEMENT

Football Penn State defeats USC 33-30 in overtime!

Amazing game that could have easily gone the other way.
  • Miller Moss misses pass that would have put USC in range for a game winning FG.
  • Consecutive near PI calls against PSU but neither were called..
  • Lantz misses FG.
But for once the breaks went PSU's way. I don't care what Lando says, that was a BIG GAME. I won't take Wisconsin for granted but if we beat them it will probably be #2 OSU vs #3 PSU at Beaver stadium.

My overall take:
  • PSU's defense drives me crazy. Man press coverage with lots of blitzing. Run or pass if the first defender misses there's lots of room to turn it into a big play. But once again the defense improved in the second half.
  • Lots of posters fell in love with the running performance vs Illinois and thought we could simply control the game on the ground. Singleton 10 carries for 26 yards. Allen 16 carries for 56 yards.
  • Allar was 30-43 for 391 yds. 2 TDs, 3 INT (but I don't count the Hail Mary). He also carried 4 times for 32 yards. Honorable mention player of the game.
  • Barker was 4-4 on FGs. They were all reasonably short but he had to be feeling the pressure. Honorable mention player of the game.
  • Warren 17 catches for 224 yds. 1-1 passing for 9 yards. Some great blocks in there too. The trick play TD pass was underthrown a bit but Warren took it away. Easily the player of the game.

Last edited:
Amazing game that could have easily gone the other way.
  • Miller Moss misses pass that would have put USC in range for a game winning FG.
  • Consecutive near PI calls against PSU but neither were called..
  • Lantz misses FG.
But for once the breaks went PSU's way. I don't care what Lando says, that was a BIG GAME. I won't take Wisconsin for granted but if we beat them it will probably be #2 OSU vs #3 PSU at Beaver stadium.

My overall take:
  • PSU's defense drives me crazy. Man press coverage with lots of blitzing. Run or pass if the first defender misses there's lots of room to turn it into a big play. But once again the defense improved in the second half.
  • Lots of posters fell in love with the running performance vs Illinois and thought we could simply control the game on the ground. Singleton 10 carries for 26 yards. Allen 16 carries for 56 yards.
  • Allar was 30-43 for 391 yds. 2 TDs, 3 INT (but I don't count the Hail Mary). He also carried 4 times for 32 yards. Honorable mention player of the game.
  • Barker was 4-4 on FGs. They were all reasonably short but he had to be feeling the pressure. Honorable mention player of the game.
  • Warren 17 catches for 224 yds. Some great blocks in there too. The trick play TD pass was underthrown a bit but Warren took it away. Easily the player of the game.
You can really enjoy a win without thinking it's a "big game"--this was a very nice, important road win but no one is going to say "Franklin finally won a big game"--it will come down to Ohio State. USC was unranked.

Barker gets a game ball with Warren and Allar

Now that some of us have calmed down somewhat....... those two pass interference calls that the refs didn't call in OT sure loom large!!!!!!!!
They were both close and we would have complained if they were called. But yes, they could have been called.

Agree with that - there was a ton on non-calls both ways. Think about if Tyler Warren doesn't make a circus-catch on our first TD - they didn't call a penalty there???? That was beyond blatant DPI (as the CBS announcer said to him when they were doing a postgame interview with him) - the USC defender made no effort whatsoever to play the ball and attempted to drag Warren down well before ball got there! They called very little holding on USC's OL and they were mugging PSU defenders (especially Carter) all game long - outright tackling people, often from behind. On the 3rd Down play in OT, Moss had to scramble as a PSU rusher had him dead to rights... the PSU defender is held from behind as Moss runs away - no flag. It was blatant holding, but no flag.

Again, I agree with you that PSU got away with some contact with no flag, but the officiating was not one-sided as Danielson kept trying to claim. Danielson simply chose to only say something when PSU benefitted from the no call, but the reality is that USC got away with as much, or more, uncalled penalties. How about the uncalled hands-to-the-face on USC's last TD play? Replay clearly shows USC's LT grabbing, and holding onto, the PSU rusher's facemask as he pushes his head up and all the way back while blocking the edge....

The CBS Crew was terribly one-sided in their continual claims that PSU was benefiting from the Officiating - it wasn't true, at all.
Danielson has always been anti PSU. What did we do to cause that? I can't remember his collegiate background but we must have beat him.

Reactions: johnmpsu
Agree with that - there was a ton on non-calls both ways. Think about if Tyler Warren doesn't make a circus-catch on our first TD - they didn't call a penalty there???? That was beyond blatant DPI (as the CBS announcer said to him when they were doing a postgame interview with him) - the USC defender made no effort whatsoever to play the ball and attempted to drag Warren down well before ball got there! They called very little holding on USC's OL and they were mugging PSU defenders (especially Carter) all game long - outright tackling people, often from behind. On the 3rd Down play in OT, Moss had to scramble as a PSU rusher had him dead to rights... the PSU defender is held from behind as Moss runs away - no flag. It was blatant holding, but no flag.

Again, I agree with you that PSU got away with some contact with no flag, but the officiating was not one-sided as Danielson kept trying to claim. Danielson simply chose to only say something when PSU benefitted from the no call, but the reality is that USC got away with as much, or more, uncalled penalties. How about the uncalled hands-to-the-face on USC's last TD play? Replay clearly shows USC's LT grabbing, and holding onto, the PSU rusher's facemask as he pushes his head up and all the way back while blocking the edge....

The CBS Crew was terribly one-sided in their continual claims that PSU was benefiting from the Officiating - it wasn't true, at all.

Well, I personally think the marginal calls went slightly toward PSU today, but I also think that Danielson does not like PSU. This is based on this broadcast and many others.

Now that some of us have calmed down somewhat....... those two pass interference calls that the refs didn't call in OT sure loom large!!!!!!!!
:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p

Were these actually B10 Refs???? Maybe PSU has finally gotten out of the Ref Bias Basement !!!!!!!!!!!
Did USC get any referee breaks?

^^^^^
For all of the great play by Warren today, the game nevertheless ended up hinging on Moss's overthrow, yielding an interception. That gets completed and USC probably gets a game winning field goal during regulation.
The kick wouldn’t have been a gimme, and their kicker missed one in OT, so I wouldn’t say they *probably* would have won. But yeah, that was a big miss that I’m sure Moss will be replaying in his head tonight.

The kick wouldn’t have been a gimme, and their kicker missed one in OT, so I wouldn’t say they *probably* would have won. But yeah, that was a big miss that I’m sure Moss will be replaying in his head tonight.

USC receiver had room to run to the inside had he made the catch. Wheatley would have had to make an open field tackle. Reed had momentum towards the sideline. It was a huge swing play.

Riley's clock management was mystifying. Even Franklin was never that bad.

Reactions: Jerry and johnmpsu
I’m glad that I left the in-game thread when things went downhill in the first half. I knew it would become super negative.

Riley's clock management was mystifying

Sometimes things are damned if you do, damned if you don't. If he calls time out AND throws the pick, we have 30+ on the clock to get into FG range. He was playing for a last second kick to win or go to overtime. With their K, I am fine with this.

Riley called a very good game today. His OL/DL showed up big in the run game. He attacked every weakness we had and it worked. Our team was just slightly better today.

If we were playing osu or mich they would have been called.
BTW: this was an opinion.
Yeah no, that is a fact. This was a big step forward for Allar. Really happy for him, and now hoping he takes another step to beat OSU. Thank god Franklin came to his senses and put Barker in there last week. They def lose today if he's not kicking. Lastly, Carter was basically getting mugged on every rush. Really lastly, if Lions score tds inside the 10, this game doesn't go to OT.

Did USC get any referee breaks?

There was a blatant hold on one of their big plays (like it sprung the runner). I also was surprised that they didn't review the incomplete pass on the first series - it looked like a lateral and thus fumble that we recovered.

Edit: there was also the ticky tack OPI on what was a TD for PSU that instead became a FG.

Reactions: jimarnp
Yeah no, that is a fact. This was a big step forward for Allar. Really happy for him, and now hoping he takes another step to beat OSU. Thank god Franklin came to his senses and put Barker in there last week. They def lose today if he's not kicking. Lastly, Carter was basically getting mugged on every rush. Really lastly, if Lions score tds inside the 10, this game doesn't go to OT.
Ya there is holding every game but Carter sure does get held more then his share

Ya there is holding every game but Carter sure does get held more then his share

The majority who post here whine about Carter like he doesn't do enough, but he drew numerous double teams today and had another great game statistically. They showed an in game stat today that he's got the best pressure rate of any player since '22.

DDS as well.

Who’s doing your surgery? If it’s Dr. Baratz from UPMC, you’ll be fine.
Manning
He's already operated on me 3 times so he's kinda my go to guy..... And he did this same procedure on a friend.

I've been driving my wife crazy with this stuff lately. Toe surgery, 3 trigger fingers fixed, both in January, then a hernia in July. She's a great "nurse" but I'm pushing my luck some......

Reactions: Jerry
I look forward to putting it all together in one game. We see pieces each game (although Warren has been a constant.) We will need Allar, Warren, Singleton, and Wallace to have their best games to beat OSU. We also need Tom Allen to fix the inconsistencies on d, but regardless we may need 40 points to beat OSU.

Reactions: lazydave841
Sometimes things are damned if you do, damned if you don't. If he calls time out AND throws the pick, we have 30+ on the clock to get into FG range. He was playing for a last second kick to win or go to overtime. With their K, I am fine with this.

Riley called a very good game today. His OL/DL showed up big in the run game. He attacked every weakness we had and it worked. Our team was just slightly better today.

That logic is quite a stretch. He was at midfield and you are suggesting that he was trying to run the clock down to 14 seconds? He then gets one or two plays at most to get into position for a high percentage kick?

If that was his thinking it is the epitome of playing not to lose, and so that is what happened.

Reactions: lazydave841 and Ski
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT